Can I be a pain? - too long signatures

eventfarm

Should people reduce the size of their signatures to less than 6"?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Should people reduce the size of their signatures to less than 6"?

• Yes, it makes reading the thread easier.
    • Yes, I have sigs turned off because of this and I'd like to turn them back on
    • No, to each his own.
    • I don't care - I have sigs turned off and don't plan on turning them back on.

OK I will put my 2 cents in on the subject. You can keep all the sigs. just downsize them. My Gosh we are not blind and don't need the large print edition.:rolleyes:

Speak for yourself, some of us are blind and need the big print! I can just about make it out now Dave!

Yes they do control the length of the signatures.

I recently received an email from CC requesting me to reduce mine to 25 lines or less......and I had to delete a few photos.........so I guess 25 lines is the max for now.....;)

OK since I am the guy being talked about I suppose I should answer for myself. I have no problems with long signatures and I like to show off where I have been and where I am going and I LOVE to read other peoples signatures that have the same things in them. And as far as the rest, it is just showing the cruising world what I am a part of. Is it REALLY that big of an issue to have to scroll down just a bit farther to read the next post? By the way, since I cannot add anything more to mine (I have tried) I am guessing that I am at max capacity and since a CC host helped me design and put everything together I will take for granted that it is legal. I am sorry and I apologize if my signature offends anyone.
..and you still haven't done anything about it?? :cool:

Ummm... try a concept called moderation ?

I like having the countdown clocks but don't want to overdo my signature

hence the horizontal list instead of vertical

and I remove my clocks as soon as they expire.

I do one better - I remove my countdown clock before I sail

because I'm considerate of others,

and wouldn't want anyone seeing my dumbass Sailed! signature, while I'm at sea! :o

For the sake of your own credibility, pay attention to what your signature looks like

-it reflects You- and get rid of the silly expired countdown clocks...sheeesh!

There really is no substitute

for Class and Breeding, is there ?

As another with a long signature... in fact...

THEY DO LIMIT THEM!!!!

I can't get in a couple more cruises I have planned... I'm at the EXACT limit they allow!!!

I love to read where fols have cruised and where they plan their future. It lets me know whom to ask for tips and comments... and Yes, it lets them find me on which roll call threads...

Yes, it clutters the page down, I'm sorry, humbly I am... but It's bling and fun and that what cruising and CC is all about...

Gathering information...

Making friends...

and the LOVE OF CRUISING!!!!!!

It's bling and fun and that what cruising and CC is all about...

!

:o Really, it's never been what CC has been about... I don't recall seeing the problem this bad before... yes, there is a limit imposed, but we've also been asked by the powers that be to do our OWN housecleaning and use our best judgement for the good of the board... sometimes we have to ask ourselves what exactly is necessary...

I love signatures, but the really obnoxious ones sadly, I'm going to end up putting on ignore just to make MY experience a better one... and it sucks that I have to do that, but there are only so many times you can scroll past the 1/2 page signatures before enough is enough...

I do have to agree with the majority of other replies in this thread though, your signature really is a bit too much.

Agreed. Countdown clocks for cruises that were over a year ago? Totally unnecessary.

:o Really, it's never been what CC has been about... I don't recall seeing the problem this bad before...

When did CC become about putting pictures of liquor bottles and cartoon animals in your signature? This is a cruise board, putting cute pictures of cartoon characters serves no purpose, especially when you already have 4 2" tall banners in there.

Sorry, but it really didn't seem to be a problem until not too long ago when some crazy people decided to cruise together. :rolleyes: I haven't seen anyone on that cruise yet with a short signature.

...One hint that I sometimes remember (but not always), is before hitting submit reply scroll down and unclick to show signature. That way your signature only appears every once in a while in a thread instead of on all your posts.

I didn't even think about that possibility. I was reluctant to add my Victory cruise countdown clock that I just booked because that gives me three countdown clocks, which is too much. Of course, as soon as I return from Fascination next month, I'll remove that clock and add it to the list of past cruises.

I will definitely start turning mine off in the Roll Call threads where I post frequently. I do have them turned off for others. It's just silly to try to read a thread where you have 2 lines of comment and them a full page of signature.

And now I'm going to turn off my signature for this post! ;)

agree with the last poster...no need to be rude and hurtful....after all, if you want, you can use the setting to not see any sigs at all. If Dave and the others who have half page sigs are having fun with their postings, so be it.

Personally, I like to list my sailed cruises separate from the ones that are upcoming....but that is just me. I am getting close to the age where I am not sure if I am coming or going! You know what I mean: did I just walk in to this room or am I just leaving?" :confused: Am I supposed to be packing or unpacking? That sort of thing! :p

I love Cruise Critic, and think that for the most part, all of us love to swap info, help out the newbies, and keep connected with friends from past cruises.

okay - I'm done with the soapbox...who is next?

Wow! Went to bed and woke up to 4 pages. Maybe I wasn't being a pain to ask about this. It appears that this is an issue for some...

1. Yes, we can turn off signatures, but I would venture to guess that only 10% (or less) of the signatures are way over the top. so why should I have to turn off 100% of the signatures so that I don't see the 10% that refuse to self-police?

2. Using size 50 fonts: If you really, really want to get your information out there, you need to make it easily readable for the person you are trying to reach. This does not mean huge fonts in many colors. If it did, you'd see magazines, newspapers, and all ads done like this. Look at the most popular ads - white, blocky font.

3. If you are really wanting to show your creative side, create a webpage that we can go to to see all of your pics and past cruises. Then put a link in your sig.

It sounds like we're not policing ourselves very well, and it may come down to someone with authority putting a cap on it. Or, everyone has their sigs turned off... what's the point of having a sig it they're all turned off.....

Could those with super long sigs tone it down willingly?

Sorry, but it really didn't seem to be a problem until not too long ago when some crazy people decided to cruise together. :rolleyes: I haven't seen anyone on that cruise yet with a short signature.

I believe I have a short signature, none. I'm on the Crazies cruise. So, now you cant say you havent seen one with a short signature. Dont make generalizations and no one will call you on them. Some people can't stand to see the success of one group?? Cruise for next Sept is so popular it sold out, so sure there are a lot of us going. As many have mentioned, the only way those signatures got long was because Host Mach helped with them. Are you all sure you really want to cross swords with a host here?

This picking on one person and now picking on one group is uncalled for. Turn off signatures if it bothers you.

As long as they allow CC group cruises to advertise by posting in the main threads and to put them into your signature to advertise CC cruises, I say get over it.

Iv got 6 cruises booked, not enough room in my signature. I dont put any in my signature and it's just not my thing. I also rarely look at others signatures, I have them turned off and know I can click on their profile when I do want to see them. Doesn't bother me at all and not my business.

I believe I have a short signature, none. I'm on the Crazies cruise. So, now you cant say you havent seen one with a short signature. Dont make generalizations and no one will call you on them. Some people can't stand to see the success of one group?? Cruise for next Sept is so popular it sold out, so sure there are a lot of us going.

This picking on one person and now picking on one group is uncalled for. Turn off signatures if it bothers you.

As long as they allow CC group cruises to advertise by posting in the main threads and to put them into your signature to advertise CC cruises, I say get over it.

Iv got 6 cruises booked, not enough room in my signature, and my two group cruises are not thru this message board. So, I dont put any in my signature and it's just not my thing. I also rarely look at others signatures, I have them turned off and know I can click on their profile when I do want to see them. Doesnt bother me at all and not my business.

For me it has nothing to do with that... we've had groups sell out before, and we've had 3 groups going at one time, and still didn't have half page signatures :p It has nothing to do with the group, LOL. As the group leader, I asked my group a long time ago to police their signatures and make sure we weren't standing out as the obnoxious ones on CC because someone was always taking a swipe at us. I also try to make the banners so they are longer in width rather than length. We were all asked to do housecleaning on our signatures... some did, some didn't... nobody should have to turn off signatures completely just because of a few people (i'm not saying people in one group, I'm saying ANYONE with a signature that is longer than you can see on the screen)... just because you have them turned off doesn't mean everyone wants to... some of us enjoy the signatures, but there are some that are just too much :o

If the real reason this thread is continuing is truly because there are posters that are having difficulties reading threads because of excessive signatures then I have offered an easy solution quite a few posts back. I will repeat it here in the event it was missed. When offered a simple solution and the issue is still being complained about it lends me to believe that it truly isn't about solving the problem but one of wanting to win the battle. Luckily Cruise Critic in all it's wonderful wisdom has made sure that everyone that posts here has the opportunity to have a pleasant experience. Simply follow these steps and you too can have that same experience:

For those that do not want to turn your signatures off but find dealing with excessively long signatures bothersome....there is a solution for you :) When you come across such a poster:

Left click on their name

Click on view public profile

Look right under their avatar or their name for "User List"

Click on that and it gives you 3 options with the last being Ignore User.

Click on that one and it will no longer show you posts by that particular user.

Now you can enjoy the boards and not have to shut all the signatures off if you don't want them off. It's also very helpful for those posters who drive you nuts!

It really is as simple as this!

For me it has nothing to do with that... we've had groups sell out before :o

Well folks have also complained about how many posts on the Crazies thread.

How many groups sold out the entire ship?? There is another group from elsewhere who just returned some cabins, so there are cabins you can buy on your own again, but probably very few since the entire ship was sold out. When I said sold out, I dont just mean no more CC cabins, I mean the entire ship was showing sold out almost a year in advance. No cabins period.

You may not care, but for a while there were a lot of threads complaining about the Crazies thread and the post I copied seems to hint at that.

If you'all really dont like the signatures, you can always email Mach and talk to him privately. I just dont like the way this has turned toward only a particular group. Its not the first time either.

If folks were being general I wouldnt care, since I have signatures turned off anyway, but its sounding like it is now being turned toward one group.

I believe I have a short signature, none. I'm on the Crazies cruise. So, now you cant say you havent seen one with a short signature. Dont make generalizations and no one will call you on them.

Okay, you got me there.

Some people can't stand to see the success of one group??

Maybe, but I'm not one of them. I know how hard it is to do a group cruise, I hope they're all successful.

Cruise for next Sept is so popular it sold out, so sure there are a lot of us going. As many have mentioned, the only way those signatures got long was because Host Mach helped with them.

Who mentioned that? Must've missed that post.

Are you all sure you really want to cross swords with a host here?

Who said I was doing that? He didn't force anyone to put anything in their signatures!

I like signatures. Why should I have to turn them off because some people (not speaking about anyone in particular here :rolleyes:) refuse to adhere to the policies here of keeping your signatures in check?

And that's fine. Advertise your cruises. But what is the point of 35 point multi-color text and a bottle of tequila below two countdowns of year-old cruises ON TOP of your future ones?

Iv got 6 cruises booked, not enough room in my signature. I dont put any in my signature and it's just not my thing. I also rarely look at others signatures, I have them turned off and know I can click on their profile when I do want to see them. Doesn't bother me at all and not my business.

You won't get me to agree that it's okay to have a signature that's so long I have to page down 3 times to get to the end of it.

I wasn't the one who first singled out anyone, so why are you after me? :confused:

You won't get me to agree that it's okay to have a signature that's so long I have to page down 3 times to get to the end of it.

I wasn't the one who first singled out anyone, so why are you after me? :confused:

I quoted you because you said you hadnt seen anyone with a short signature on the crazies cruise. You also said there wasnt a problem until some crazy people decided to cruise. You made it personal.

Some of the other points were because of other posts that specifically said that a host helped with the too long signatures, I was replying to what they said too.

OK I need to leave the house and said I would stay out of this. Now here I am defending myself because I didnt like that this is getting to sound awfully personal against the Crazies in particular.

Well folks have also complained about how many posts on the Crazies thread.

How many groups sold out the entire ship?? There is another group from elsewhere who just returned some cabins, so there are cabins you can buy on your own again, but probably very few since the entire ship was sold out. When I said sold out, I dont just mean no more CC cabins, I mean the entire ship was showing sold out almost a year in advance. No cabins period.

You may not care, but for a while there were a lot of threads complaining about the Crazies thread and the post I copied seems to hint at that.

If you'all really dont like the signatures, you can always email Mach and talk to him privately. I just dont like the way this has turned toward only a particular group. Its not the first time either.

If folks were being general I wouldnt care, since I have signatures turned off anyway, but its sounding like it is now being turned toward one group.

Believe me, I know about the complaints with too many posts... we've gotten it for 4 years... it is a pain in the butt and you just learn to ignore it. I used to get hate email... believe me, I know all about it, LOL. I really don't understand the point about selling out? CC groups usually don't book several thousand people, so that isn't an issue... we've had ships sell out in advance, but it really didn't have anything to do with our group... when there are usually groups of 500-700 on the ship, we are never in competition with them, LOL I didn't make this about a group... I can voice my concerns privately to the hosts on the Carnival board if I feel the need to, but I didn't attack any one group, like I said, I have been there before...

LOL I didn't make this about a group...

For once, I will defend firefly. That comment wasn't directed at you, it was to me. Apparently commenting that a lot of the crazies have the long signatures this thread is talking about evolved into me making a personal attack on everyone because I was jealous of their successful group that apparently sold out the ship. :rolleyes:

I have now been on 2 CC group cruises,and as a result met a some really great people from this board. I am booked on a couple of others and have actually met people from one I haven't even been on yet. It was the banners on the siggy's that attracted my attention and got me to sign up. Yes mine is long, and if I could figure out how to get my banners side by side I would shorten it, and I have tried, but I am not that talented.:o

Archived