Constellation Norovirus Outbreak

WorldofTnT

If they have a sanitizer that will affect a virus...why haven't they got a cure for the common cold...which according to you they can also kill the virus with sanitizers. We've been constantly informed that they cannot do a thing but bolstering your immune system to help with the cold virus.

On another thread with this subject it was said "noro" is a class of virus not a specific one. A previous poster described how it's passed around. Now this sounds Like Cryptosporidian for one or Salmonella. Are these all the same or similar viruses??

While it's true that hand sanitizers are good for bacteria and not viruses, the friction resulting from rubbing one's hands together to distribute the liquid is, in fact, effective against many viruses. The same is true for simple soap and water, as the friction coupled with the soap and water is an integral part of defense against viruses. What makes using either hand sanitizers or washing with soap and warm water even more effective, is wiping your hands after either. Again, the friction resulting from wiping one's hands helps create a more hostile environment for viruses.

We were on the previous Connie cruise; I didn't hear anything about Noro. However, we were warned, when boarding that there was a crew member being treated for measles (May have been German Measles, I forget) and anyone with impaired immunity may want to consult his or her medical provider if concerned. How's that for a shocker. Fortunately, I did not hear anything further about any kind of illness.

We were on the previous Connie cruise; I didn't hear anything about Noro. However, we were warned, when boarding that there was a crew member being treated for measles (May have been German Measles, I forget) and anyone with impaired immunity may want to consult his or her medical provider if concerned. How's that for a shocker. Fortunately, I did not hear anything further about any kind of illness.

We sailed Connie 10/17-30 and were informed almost a week into the cruise that one of the crew members had shingles when we boarded. Not sure why they waited a week into the cruise to tell us.

Anne Maria

I don't understand why people continue to link hand sanatizers to Noro. The one has *nothing* to do with the other. Noro is a virus, and hand sanatizers are only effective against bacteria.

Also, on any cruise people will get sick. Calling it an "outbreak" is only valid if the percentage of sick people exceeds the limit as set by CDC, and CDC reports the outbreak. For Constellation, this is not the case (yet).

Best Regards,

Floris

Floris:

Thank you so much for your comments. I really get annoyed when people say they can't understand why people don't use the hand sanitizers. I don't believe in them and would prefer not to use them. There are many people who believe the same as I do. Even the medical community is mixed over their use.

Wash your hands completely but please don't give sermons out to people who don't use them because they may actually be the ones who are right.

Floris:

I really get annoyed when people say they can't understand why people don't use the hand sanitizers. QUOTE]

I am on the other side of the fence.....I can't understand people NOT using sanitizers.

Any Hospital or clinic that you go into has sanitizers in the hallways, bathrooms and rooms. My gym has sanitizers throughout the premises.

It stands to reason that they are effective in minimizing bacteria and now Virus contamination. That is a well known fact.

A newly developed ethanol-based sanitizer ensures hand hygiene and minimizes transmission of viruses such as norovirus in food processing environments, according to a new study.

The findings of the University of Ottawa and North Carolina State University research teams were published in the journal Applied and Environmental Microbiology and show that transmission of multiple enteric viruses can be reduced by newly synergistically formulated ethanol-based hand sanitizer.

The annual number of food-related infections in the US is an estimated 76 million, with viruses accounting for 79 per cent and human norovirus (HNV) causing 59 per cent of such cases, according to the study.

Norovirus, one of the most common causes of gastroenteritis, is highly contagious and can be spread through human contact; in one case, five norovirus outbreaks affecting several hundred people in Denmark in 2005 were traced to a single batch of contaminated frozen raspberries.

Hygienic food processing and handling can reduce the spread of the virus.

In addition to washing with soap and water, the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organisation (WHO) recommend the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers in food handling environments for faster microbial kill and less dependence on running water.

http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/Quality-Safety/New-hand-sanitizer-effective-against-viruses-say-researchers

Floris:

I really get annoyed when people say they can't understand why people don't use the hand sanitizers. QUOTE]

I am on the other side of the fence.....I can't understand people NOT using sanitizers.

Any Hospital or clinic that you go into has sanitizers in the hallways, bathrooms and rooms. My gym has sanitizers throughout the premises.

It stands to reason that they are effective in minimizing bacteria and now Virus contamination. That is a well known fact.

A newly developed ethanol-based sanitizer ensures hand hygiene and minimizes transmission of viruses such as norovirus in food processing environments, according to a new study.

The findings of the University of Ottawa and North Carolina State University research teams were published in the journal Applied and Environmental Microbiology and show that transmission of multiple enteric viruses can be reduced by newly synergistically formulated ethanol-based hand sanitizer.

The annual number of food-related infections in the US is an estimated 76 million, with viruses accounting for 79 per cent and human norovirus (HNV) causing 59 per cent of such cases, according to the study.

Norovirus, one of the most common causes of gastroenteritis, is highly contagious and can be spread through human contact; in one case, five norovirus outbreaks affecting several hundred people in Denmark in 2005 were traced to a single batch of contaminated frozen raspberries.

Hygienic food processing and handling can reduce the spread of the virus.

In addition to washing with soap and water, the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organisation (WHO) recommend the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers in food handling environments for faster microbial kill and less dependence on running water.

http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/Quality-Safety/New-hand-sanitizer-effective-against-viruses-say-researchers

And for all the info you can provide such as above, others can provide the opposite info. I don't believe in them and I am not alone...Sorry...

are 99% NOT contagious........

Shingles are part of the herpes virus, which is part of chicken pox.

It is almost 99% sure that you will NOT contact shingles if you have had chicken pox in the past, uless you are immuno-supressed.

Sorry but on our last "trashy" 4 night cruise on Century which was FULL of young children, someone I know that is immuno-suppressed caught shingles after being in the hot tub before it was closed down for cleaning due to a dirty diaper.

Noro most frequently happens in both senior homes and schools with young children as a land based virus. It all has to do with hygene. Many seniors bathe less frequently due to aging conditions such as dry skin, lack of ability to bathe on their own, etc......as for children, well, no matter what you instill in them, unless you have an eye on them 24 hours a day will touch something they are not supposed to, put something in their mouth that they shouldn't, or do something without any knowledge or thought of contact or spreading an illness....Its called being a kid, not a slam on kids. When I was a kid I was invincible and did NOT listen to my parents 100% of the time...as an adult I know better....

Bottom line is that noro can happen at any time to anyone if they are not careful, and with up to a 48 hour icubation period you could pick it up in a plane, taxi, hotel, restaurant, water fountain, public phone, public restroom, ETC....before you cruise ...then unsuspectedly bring it on the ship. In most cases it happens to a passenger BEFORE they board and in a very few cases it happens to a crew member as they tend to develope immunity to the virus because of their exposure.

Crap happens...no pun intended, but we all need to wash our hands frequently, STOP using so many anti-bacterials and sprays, and eat and excercise better to confront this problem.

AND parents...STOP putting babies and toddlers that aren't completely potty trained or are wearing pull ups in to the pools and hot tubs. I realize you are trying to have an enjoyable vacation...but you are part of the problem.

Dave:eek:

are 99% NOT contagious........

Shingles are part of the herpes virus, which is part of chicken pox.

It is almost 99% sure that you will NOT contact shingles if you have had chicken pox in the past, uless you are immuno-supressed.

Dave:eek:

Actually, you can only get the shingles IF you have had chicken pox. It is also very contagious, as is chicken pox.

No shingles are not contagious if you have had chicken pox.

From WEBMD:

This study also proved that a person with shingles can pass the virus to individuals who have never had chickenpox, but these individuals will develop chickenpox not shingles. A person with chickenpox cannot communicate shingles to someone else. In order for people to develop shingles they must already harbor the virus in their nervous system, and for those who do harbor the virus, having contact with someone with chickenpox will not trigger shingles. Additionally, a person with shingles cannot communicate shingles to another individual.

WebMD Public Information from the U.S. National Institutes of Health

No shingles are not contagious if you have had chicken pox.

From WEBMD:

Additionally, a person with shingles cannot communicate shingles to another individual.

WebMD Public Information from the U.S. National Institutes of Health

I just want to clarify, since I am an adult who has never had chicken pox, that shingles ARE contagious to anyone that has not had chicken pox. We'd get chicken pox and not shingles. Those come later.:eek:

From MedlinePlus:

Can shingles be spread to others?

Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, the virus that causes shingles, VZV, can be spread from a person with active shingles to a person who has never had chickenpox through direct contact with the rash. The person exposed would develop chickenpox, not shingles. The virus is not spread through sneezing, coughing or casual contact. A person with shingles can spread the disease when the rash is in the blister-phase. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer contagious. A person is not infectious before blisters appear or with post-herpetic neuralgia (pain after the rash is gone).

What can be done to prevent the spread of shingles?

The risk of spreading shingles is low if the rash is covered. People with shingles should keep the rash covered, not touch or scratch the rash, and wash their hands often to prevent the spread of VZV. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer contagious.

Is there a treatment for shingles?

Several medicines, acyclovir (Zovirax), valacyclovir (Valtrex), and famciclovir (Famvir), are available to treat shingles. These medications should be started as soon as possible after the rash appears and will help shorten how long the illness lasts and how severe the illness is. Pain medicine may also help with pain caused by shingles. Call your doctor as soon as possible to discuss treatment options.

My wife and I ( mid 40's, healthy,fit) both contracted the "virus" on this cruise. We were very careful about what we touched and washed/sanitized all the time. We even wiped down hard surfaces in our cabin with Clorox wipes upon arrival, but still became ill. First time in six cruises. I even started to question cruising as a vacation, but stopped that "crazy thinking" when I began feeling better. Hopefully our Jan. Solstice cruise will illness free.

We sailed Connie 10/17-30 and were informed almost a week into the cruise that one of the crew members had shingles when we boarded. Not sure why they waited a week into the cruise to tell us.

Anne Maria

I wonder if it was shingles that was later rediagnosed as measles. Either way, I think that crew should have all the immunizations that we have, as long as they are sailing from US ports.

I wonder if it was shingles that was later rediagnosed as measles. Either way, I think that crew should have all the immunizations that we have, as long as they are sailing from US ports.

Hi Carole,

I don't know, we didn't hear anything more about it. But I think the measles are totally different from shingles aren't they? You think they would be able to diagnose it correctly. I've had the measles, when I was 4 years old and let me tell you I remember being VERY ILL. My brother too.

Yea, that's a good idea about the crew being immunized. I think they should all get a flu shot every year too. Wonder if that would cost too much?

Anne Maria

Crew members with shingles and measles, doesn't the cruise staff get inoculated?

Isn't Shingles a severe form of the Herpes Virus??...which you can't get rid of (runs the gamut from Cold sores to shingles and you know what in between) They just have outbreaks occasionally but shingles can be really bad, and pretty much never go away, and can be inside the body also.:eek:

Yes Shingles and Measles look different. Shingles come to a blister type head and hurt and itch. They are coming from the nerve endings and can be painful for a very long time. The good news is that unless you have an impaired immunity, you will only get them once.

We just got off Constellation Monday Dec. 1st and one of us got the "norovirus" as well. There were two in the cabin, so both were quarantined in the same cabin, one for 24 hours and one for 48 hours. The second person never did get sick. Perhaps it was food poisoning? The person that became ill is a nurse and certainly knows how to wash her hands, and she was the only one in our group that ate in the AquaSpa.

Regardless of whether its food poisoning or a "virus", what is troubling is that Celebrity will not take responsibility for the "virus" and will only give a $200 credit to be used on a future cruise, to be used within a year. In these economic times, I'm afraid that is unlikely.

Celebrity/Constellation clearly knew of the threat, as there had been reports from the prior cruise, and you couldn't walk ten feet without someone squirting hand sanitizer in your hands. Yet, we were told they were not responsible for it, that a passenger must have brought it on with them.

Does anyone have any experience with getting a credit for something like this?

Thanks in advance... we tried to enjoy what we could of the cruise... but as you can imagine... it put a damper on our family trip.

We just got off Constellation Monday Dec. 1st and one of us got the "norovirus" as well. There were two in the cabin, so both were quarantined in the same cabin, one for 24 hours and one for 48 hours. The second person never did get sick. Perhaps it was food poisoning? The person that became ill is a nurse and certainly knows how to wash her hands, and she was the only one in our group that ate in the AquaSpa.

Regardless of whether its food poisoning or a "virus", what is troubling is that Celebrity will not take responsibility for the "virus" and will only give a $200 credit to be used on a future cruise, to be used within a year. In these economic times, I'm afraid that is unlikely.

Celebrity/Constellation clearly knew of the threat, as there had been reports from the prior cruise, and you couldn't walk ten feet without someone squirting hand sanitizer in your hands. Yet, we were told they were not responsible for it, that a passenger must have brought it on with them.

Thanks in advance... we tried to enjoy what we could of the cruise... but as you can imagine... it put a damper on our family trip.

Why would Celebrity be responsible for the virus? It's not the SHIP that is getting sick...it's the passengers. Norovirus can be found anywhere. Schools, retirement homes, conventions, etc. My Mom contracted it last year, after playing cards with a group of her friends. One of them was ill, and passed it along through either the handling of food, or the cards themselves.

All we can do as passengers on a cruise ship, is to wash our hands frequently, and to NOT board a ship when ill.

It is also possible that some catch the virus on the way to the ship and have no idea they are contagious. I think the compensation provided is more than generous. It is not the fault of the cruise line unless they knowingly allow sick employees to come in contact with passengers.

Very simple, you don't deserve credit. Maybe the 40 million Americans who get Noro every year should ask for compensation...Stuff happens...

I understand that everyone gets this... everywhere. But when researching Norovirus, it often comes from the food. With the close quarters and considering the second passenger did not get the "virus", it has more signs of food poisoning than a virus.

Why would Celebrity not be responsible for giving someone food poisoning?

Salmonella is a bacterial infection. Re: noro- it won't matter if you sanitize your cabin if you fly- you can pick it up on the plane. The sanitation on planes is awful- on my way to Rome for an eastern med cruise last spring I wiped tray table handles and tops, audio controls, etc because they made me paranoid. On a recent flight the kid in front of us was throwing up all thru the flight- people really shouldn't fly when they are so sick. Her parents said she was sick, apparently felt it was OK to share it with a other people.

I think the cruise lines are really aware of the problem and are wiping things down all the time- at least they were on HA.

We just got off the Constellation and we had a very nasty outbreak of the Norovirus.

For the record I would also like to state that the above statement is factually wrong. There is no "outbreak" unless the number of sick passengers exceeds the thresholds as defined by the Center for Disease Control (CDC). There will always be some sick passengers on any ship; the question is, are there too many. According to CDC, on Constellation, that was not the case. The last outbreak as reported by CDC was on HAL's Zuiderdam.

Best Regards,

Floris

Archived