Q1 2009 Fuel Surcharge Refund Watch Thread

hawt1

OK, here's a question for y'all....

My DH paid for our family's cruise vacation. We have a party of 11 traveling.

What we've all planned on is that we'll pay for the cruise, and they are responsible for everything else (tips, extra spending, getting to the port, etc.) The cruise is a present for various anniversaries as well as a couple of other family milestones.

ANYWAY -- if we end up getting a refund for the fuel surcharge, will the whole refund come to my DH since he paid for the cruise, or will the refund go to each individual? In that case, we have the awkward job of asking for $70 from everyone. Anyone know?

will get the OBC. Now if his CC is on file for all the cabins and they don't spend it he will get the credit.

Or..if you get the OBC. Let everyone know, UPFRONT,, that he hubby got a refund coming but it got assigned each cabin, so would everyone pls re-emburse him Simple...not impolite.

Thank you for the replies. We will ask for the money back...I guess it is just awkward because it's only $70 that we're asking for from each person --- but once you add it up for all the people, it's a nice little hunka change.

Thanks for your help :)

I thought I would start a thread for those of us who are anxiously watching the oil price as we get closer to December 18th (our date) and the possiblity of an OBC for our fuel surcharge.

So here goes.

Days until price check: 22

Price of oil at last closing on November 26th: $54.44

Number of people hoping for refund: 25 - feel free to add your group to this number as we go along over the next 22 days.

We're watching too!!

OK, here's a question for y'all....

My DH paid for our family's cruise vacation. We have a party of 11 traveling.

What we've all planned on is that we'll pay for the cruise, and they are responsible for everything else (tips, extra spending, getting to the port, etc.) The cruise is a present for various anniversaries as well as a couple of other family milestones.

ANYWAY -- if we end up getting a refund for the fuel surcharge, will the whole refund come to my DH since he paid for the cruise, or will the refund go to each individual? In that case, we have the awkward job of asking for $70 from everyone. Anyone know?

I took a cruise with my SIL in March we were in the same cabin I requested at check in that the fuel refund be refunded to my sea pass card it was.

Later that month we were cruising with our kids again I asked for the refund to be put on my sea pass card at check in and it was done.

It certainly is awkward asking for money back, I would even talk to C&A and ask if there is any possibility they can credit back your credit card before the cruise...they will send you to resolutions but I certainly would try to get it before hand if possible, since it will be a large amount.

We're watching fuel prices here...hopefully they will stay down for another month. I'm not counting on the OBC, but it would be a nice perk (we already have $200 from WOW and our TA, but an extra $140 would mean some more wine or maybe even a spa treatment (dare I hope?)). We've been living somewhat frugally for a while now, so it would be nice to have an "excuse" to splurge a little bit!

[quote name='hawt1']I thought I would start a thread for those of us who are anxiously watching the oil price as we get closer to December 18th (our date) and the possiblity of an OBC for our fuel surcharge.

........[/quote]

RCI is one of our favorite lines. Today I got an email enticement about reduced reservation fees and a nice cabin credit, so I clicked on the link to see the details.....here's what I saw at that link:

"[B]*For sailings commencing in 2008 or 2009, a fuel supplement of $10 per person, per day for the first 2 guests in a stateroom (subject to a maximum of $140 per person) applies; each additional guest in the stateroom will be charged $5 per person, per day (subject to a maximum of $70 per person). [U]For sailings commencing in 2010 and booked on or after November 10, 2008, no fuel supplement charges apply.[/U]"

[/B](My emphasis added above.) So why in the world would I book a cruise in 2008 or 2009? This is special pricing?!

That's roughly ONE HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS for a couple on the typical 7 day cruise! That irritated me so much I tracked down a Contact RCI link and dropped them a note of my own! The cruise lines can charge anything they want obviously, but PLEASE don't tell me I'm getting a wonderful $50 cabin credit when you're charging a fuel surcharge like that!:eek:

[quote name='PaperSniper4']RCI is one of our favorite lines. Today I got an email enticement about reduced reservation fees and a nice cabin credit, so I clicked on the link to see the details.....here's what I saw at that link:

"[B]*For sailings commencing in 2008 or 2009, a fuel supplement of $10 per person, per day for the first 2 guests in a stateroom (subject to a maximum of $140 per person) applies; each additional guest in the stateroom will be charged $5 per person, per day (subject to a maximum of $70 per person). [U]For sailings commencing in 2010 and booked on or after November 10, 2008, no fuel supplement charges apply.[/U]"

[/B](My emphasis added above.) So why in the world would I book a cruise in 2008 or 2009? This is special pricing?!

That's roughly ONE HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS for a couple on the typical 7 day cruise! That irritated me so much I tracked down a Contact RCI link and dropped them a note of my own! The cruise lines can charge anything they want obviously, but PLEASE don't tell me I'm getting a wonderful $50 cabin credit when you're charging a fuel surcharge like that!:eek:[/QUOTE]

Papersniper,

You would still be eligible for the refund for 2009 cruises based on the dates put forward by RCCL for refunds. As well, the 2010 cruises and beyond may still end up with fuel surcharges as RCCL has said that they may reinstate them if needed. Trying to do it retroactively may be an issue though as it was in the past.

LATEST UPDATE

Days until price check: 21

Price of oil at last closing on November 26th: $54.44 - NO TRADING ON 27TH BUT INDICATION OVERSEAS WAS SLIGHTLY TO AROUND $53.60 RANGE

Difference between price and target: $10.56

Required increase per day to NOT get refund: $0.50

OPEC meeting this weekend so watch for announcements of implementation of prior cuts as well any new production cut agreements

I have a weird situation going. We have a b2b booked, and the first cruise leaves on 3/27/09. That one will follow the price as of 12/18/08. But, the second cruise leaves on 4/6/09, so that one follows the price as of 3/18/09, right?

And, to complicate things even more, the first cruise is on Celebrity, and the second on RCCL.

Should work out, but it's going to be interesting. Is this thread continuing to watch for the 2Q price, also?

[quote name='pcur']I have a weird situation going. We have a b2b booked, and the first cruise leaves on 3/27/09. That one will follow the price as of 12/18/08. But, the second cruise leaves on 4/6/09, so that one follows the price as of 3/18/09, right?

And, to complicate things even more, the first cruise is on Celebrity, and the second on RCCL.

Should work out, but it's going to be interesting. Is this thread continuing to watch for the 2Q price, also?[/quote]

I think you are correct in your understanding, at least that is how I would take it...

We have one in Jan. X and one in April RCI, but not as interesting a situation as yours.:)

And we even have one Azamara in Novmember..........heck... keeping my fingers crossed for at least one refund/OBC>

Archived