Desparate help with hotel in Fort Lauderdale

lovetexas

Okay I had decided on the Hampton Inn in Plantation (with some expert help). I use these great "Thank you points" from my bank. This whole time I thought I had enough. I went in to book, and it seems I am short.

After extremely long research yesterday I have narrowed it down to 3-4 choices.

These are not my best choices. I could also wait till closer and collect more points. The problem with that is the week of our cruise is Spring Break- and I am sure Ft. Lauderdale is going to fill up fast---

But, if these choices are really bad-- I would prefer to wait and just bid on Priceline. I always have great luck there--

Comfort Inn Airport/South Hollwood, La Quinta Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale Grande Hotel and Yacht, Courtyard Dania, Courtyard Ft. Lauderdale East, and Courtyard Plantation, Sleep Inn Dania, and last Hilton Garden Inn Dania--

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We would love the shuttle, but that is not really necessary (since I am saving $$s on the hotel)

The only requirement is a pool for the dd - I hope it is warm enough to swim in March??

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Dania last year and it was nice. Clean, well kept, decent pool, no complaints. They had an airport shuttle. There might have been some decent restaurants not too far of a walk away, I'm not sure. We got in late and ate at the Burger King next door.

We also stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. If you cross a busy street there is a strip mall that extends for several blocks. There are restuarants in the mall, but you will have to walk aways to get to them. The hotel was very clean and well maintained. I was hoping to stay there again for our February cruise but decided on Sheraton Suites in Plantation as I was able to get a special price.

Texas,

You didn't mention which days you are staying during spring break, or if this is in 2009 or 2010. Many people have had good luck getting the Grande for about $75 on priceline, but if you are staying at a very busy time, that may not be possible. If you stay downtown, a free shuttle is not important, since everything is so close, and taxis are so convenient.

The best strategy is to book a good hotel at a reasonable price as a backup, then try for something better and cheaper on priceline, then cancel your backup hotel. That way you have nothing to lose, everything to gain.

We are arriving Friday the 13th (my favorite day of the year) 2009.

If I use the Grande, I will still have a lot of points left over. It is a small amount of points.

I think the Grande looks best, but is there stuff around? The only thing we would need is a place to eat- not picky - fast is fine--

Or we could taxi it somewhere. We arrive at 7pm, so by the time we get checked in and all - I'm sure we'll be ready to hit the sack!

Second thought- I'm sure my dd will need to swim for a while and then hit the sack-- what was I thinking!! rest--no way-:cool:

OK, you mentioned the date and the year. What about the month?

So, are you saying that you can get the Grande for free using points? That sounds like a no brainer, why stay anywhere else? You can't get closer to the port, you would have a view of your cruise ship when you wake up in the morning. It's almost close enough to walk. They don't have a beach, and I'm not sure about fast food in the area, but the stop for the water taxi is right there. There are also some casual restaurants within walking distance.

It's too bad that you won't get in sooner. Here's some info about the water taxi:

http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

The Grande is one of the most popular hotels for pre-cruise.

Duuhh-- I have been Christmas shopping all day and having to lie and avoid questions from my dd. I don't know if I am getting old, or she is just getting too smart!!

It is March 13th we are staying.

We are members of Citibank and they have this great rewards program called Thank You Network. The vacation part is run by Expedia. I did not realize I had as many points until the teller asked me if I was using them? I have about 23,185. The teller said she can never build those up- she always cashes hers in for Chili's gift cards (that is the best rest in my little town)

The Grande is 21,700 and the LaQuinta is only 18,000. See my dilemma? Should we go for the great hotel and use them all?? or stay at the ok hotel and have free shuttles?? My dh says I analyze everything to death!!

I am thinking that my dh will not have the patience to wait for shuttles and be transported with more people--

We are arriving Friday the 13th (my favorite day of the year) 2009.

If I use the Grande, I will still have a lot of points left over. It is a small amount of points.

I think the Grande looks best, but is there stuff around? The only thing we would need is a place to eat- not picky - fast is fine--

Or we could taxi it somewhere. We arrive at 7pm, so by the time we get checked in and all - I'm sure we'll be ready to hit the sack!

Second thought- I'm sure my dd will need to swim for a while and then hit the sack-- what was I thinking!! rest--no way-:cool:

If you're happy with the Grande you really don't need to worry about somewhere to eat. Every hotel we've ever stayed at has had delivery menu's in the room or at the desk. Let DD swim after you check in and order delivery when she's through being a "fish" :) !

We've stayed at the LaQuinta, Hollywood, and been very happy there. We've stayed at the Hampton Inn in Plantation which is also nice.

I'd recommend either of these hotels for a night before or after a cruise. If you're staying longer you need to look into hotels that are closer to the "action" :D!

Yes, for a few more points, I think the Grande would be a much better value. I haven't stayed there, but I hear it is very nice, and the location is ideal. Taxis will be $10 from the airport, and maybe just $5 to the port.

I agree that a free shuttle is not important when you are staying that close. Even if I had a free shuttle, I would just skip it and take a taxi. Why wait for a shuttle with a crowd of other people and their luggage, when you can just hop in a taxi for a few dollars.

You are very lucky to get the Grande for free. During spring break, that could easily cost $200+

Thanks all-- I booked the Grande!! It looks beautiful--

I am thinking we can take a taxi from the airport and just get him to stop at fast food on the way and pick up stuff to eat by the pool-- or just do room service.

Can't wait!!!

Thanks all-- I booked the Grande!! It looks beautiful--

I am thinking we can take a taxi from the airport and just get him to stop at fast food on the way and pick up stuff to eat by the pool-- or just do room service.

Can't wait!!!

if you are there thurs thru sunday, you can go out to the street and flag down the sun trolley....or you can walk...or hop the water taxi....the sun trolley if 50 cents PP per trip!

www.suntrolley.com

cab fare to the port will be $10--thats the minimum fare....i don't think it would be more than that!

have fun...

if you are there thurs thru sunday, you can go out to the street and flag down the sun trolley....or you can walk...or hop the water taxi....the sun trolley if 50 cents PP per trip!

www.suntrolley.com

cab fare to the port will be $10--thats the minimum fare....i don't think it would be more than that!

have fun...

I dont think the Sun Trolley operates on Thursdays any longer. According to their website service now starts on Fridays at 10 a.m.

Duuhh-- I have been Christmas shopping all day and having to lie and avoid questions from my dd. I don't know if I am getting old, or she is just getting too smart!!

It is March 13th we are staying.

We are members of Citibank and they have this great rewards program called Thank You Network. The vacation part is run by Expedia. I did not realize I had as many points until the teller asked me if I was using them? I have about 23,185. The teller said she can never build those up- she always cashes hers in for Chili's gift cards (that is the best rest in my little town)

The Grande is 21,700 and the LaQuinta is only 18,000. See my dilemma? Should we go for the great hotel and use them all?? or stay at the ok hotel and have free shuttles?? My dh says I analyze everything to death!!

I am thinking that my dh will not have the patience to wait for shuttles and be transported with more people--

We're staying at the Hampton Inn in Plantation on that same day and it was only 20,000 points. I can't believe that the Hampton would take more points than the Grande.

We stayed at the Grande in October. Rooms a bit small but overall very nice. Shower only but it was very large and had one of those rain shower heads. We could look out our balcony window and see the port and ships. Pool area is very nice. It is at a water taxi stop. We could ride all day or just take it in the evening. Very fun and different thing to do. As well as getting to see all the beautiful houses on the intercostal waterway you can go shopping or to resturants. We really enjoyed our time there.

Sorry you don't have enough points for Hampton Inn - Plantation.

We just spent two days there....one before our Splendor B2B and another between the Splendor and the Freedom.

They were WONDERFUL.

They took us to the port....picked us up....took us again....all for free.

JB (one of the shuttle drivers) also works the help desk for Carnival so he is a wealth of information. He is also a college student...a really great young man.

When we got off the Splendor at 9:30am...we figured we would have to "do something" until the 3pm check in time...but they allowed us to check in when we arrived around 10AM. Very convenient!!!

Priscilla and the famous Ms. M are wonderful as is Sergio and the manager (whose name escapes me right now).

It was like staying at home...(only better!!)

There is a mall across the street that we walked to and a Target that we walked to.

Archived