i guide the sky

Have you been upgraded?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been upgraded?

• yes, significatly upgraded
    • yes, but not signifigantly upgraded
    • yes, got the grand suite
    • no, never upgraded

While I have received upgrades on other lines I have yet to get one on Princess. I do usually check 'no upgrades' when I cruise because I am with one or two other couples and we like to take mini-suites in a row where we can open the verandah dividers and easily go from one cabin to another. When I am travelling with just my boyfriend we would love to get upgraded but always book a cabin category we know we are happy with. For example, on the Ruby next month we took the AA mini-suite guarantee. Since AA mini's are 'the best' they have we know we'll be fine with any cabin they give us in that category. And, if the upgrade fairy does opt to pay us a visit we can only go to a 'larger' suite which we would graciously accept.

I agree with everyone else though; don't book something counting on an upgrade. Book what you'll be happy with!

upgraded about 3 times from interior to ov, or from ov to balcony. this last cruise was the best: cat ii interior (same price as cheapest interior) to a ba balcony. i always book a gty as i really don't care where on the ship i am.

I've only booked a guarantee once and that's on a future cruise so it's too soon to say what'll happen there. My other Princess cruises have been booked with specific cabins, so maybe my experience isn't really relevant to what the OP asked re guarantee bookings, but I'll chime in anyway. Just once did I mark "no upgrade"; the other times, I was upgraded on all but one (so that's 3 upgrades out of a total of 5 on Princess to date). I realize that I've been very, very fortunate when so many who have cruised so much more have had few or no upgrades. Nevertheless, I book only what I'm happy with and definitely DON'T expect anything more than that -- as the very wise Pam and Toto have said, but it bears repeating, the chances for an upgrade are slim indeed -- they can't upgrade the majority of the ship, after all! Booking this upcoming cruise, I felt myself falling into that trap: why not only pay for an inside, I thought, because I'll probably get upgraded again and end up with a window - fortunately common sense prevailed and I shelled out the extra money for the guaranteed outside in a category no lower than I'd be happy with.

The chances of being moved up to a more expensive configuration are going to pretty low, but it does happen. It's purely a luck of the draw thing. Usually if you book a guarantee you will be assigned to a cabin within that category that is higher than the minimum for that configuration. Most don't really consider that an upgrade. Your chances of booking an inside guarantee and ending up in the Grand Suite are about the same as hitting the powerball jackpot.

I'd rather hit the Powerball. :eek: ;)

But seriously, someone on our roll call got upgraded from a minisuite to a PS full suite when Princess apparently gave away the 10 "left over" suites that hadn't been booked by 2 weeks before our upcoming cruise. I thought about taking the chance that we might get one, but figured that the odds were greater that we'd just get another minisuite in a bad location. So I put "no upgrade" on ours. Oh well, maybe in another lifetime! :D

Okay, please bear with me. This is our first Princess experience. When do they "announce" the upgrades. We still have a lifetime to wait, but I am wondering when I should start anticipating my disappointment! :D We don't sail until October. We booked a mini suite on the dolphin deck on the Emerald. I am perfectly happy with where we are, but it would be exciting to be upgraded!

Okay, please bear with me. This is our first Princess experience. When do they "announce" the upgrades. We still have a lifetime to wait, but I am wondering when I should start anticipating my disappointment! :D We don't sail until October. We booked a mini suite on the dolphin deck on the Emerald. I am perfectly happy with where we are, but it would be exciting to be upgraded!

Best place to check is your princess personalizer online. If an upgrade does occur, it can happen anytime from the day after you book (although very unlikely) right up until you board the ship. But most upgrades (when they happen) take place within a month, or less, of sailing.

Best of luck!

• 3 months later...

Princess just called today and wanted our permission to upgrade from a AA Mini-suite to a Penthouse on the Crown. Sailing this Saturday, (March 15, The Ides) from Ft. Lauderdale. Celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary. We must be living right!

Princess just called today and wanted our permission to upgrade from a AA Mini-suite to a Penthouse on the Crown. Sailing this Saturday, (March 15, The Ides) from Ft. Lauderdale. Celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary. We must be living right!

Congrats! That's a great upgrade. We were upgraded on the Diamond in 04 from an AC mini to a Penthouse (PS). It was truly a wonderful experience. I was with my mom and we were so excited. We really got spoiled.

I booked a BF balcony guarantee category for June, and a week later received my cabin assignment - BB category on the caribe deck. it's a good enough "upgrade" for us! :D we now have a cabin in a good location with a balcony twice the normal size..which we would have paid $200 more for if we had chosen it from the start.

wow that's a great upgrade! have a wonderful cruise, and a happy anniversary! :D

I booked a BF balcony guarantee category for June' date=' and a week later received my cabin assignment - BB category on the caribe deck. it's a good enough "upgrade" for us! :D we now have a cabin in a good location with a balcony twice the normal size..which we would have paid $200 more for if we had chosen it from the start.[/color']

I also booked a BF and the next day I got upgraded to BB on caribe deck. But the most exciting is I be able to change my room to the aft balcony cabin C748 which have a wrap around and fully covered balcony with only 1 side neighbor. I read that this cabin is very hard to get. Now I'm so happy. :D:D:D

Next month will be our 1st Princess cruise and also our 1st Guarantee cabin, we have always booked a specific cabin but as we only booked two weeks ago it was either a BE Guarantee or a lot more $$, but we have booked a balcony which is what we want and we don't really mind where we are on the ship so if we don't get an upgrade we will be happy enough but if we do then great.

One question for all you experience Princess cruisers: We booked with a TA just over two weeks ago and we paid in full as it was within the final booking time, we have received our invoice and itinerary but when should we receive our final documents with our Princess booking ref as I would love to be able to go on to My Princess and see if we have been assigned a cabin yet.

When we booked with a TA, the booking number appeared on the invoice. I was able to check the cruise personalizer within minutes of booking. Are you sure the booking number is not on the invoice?

Thanks Liz34, just checked the invoice and went on to Princess and yes, we have been assigned a BD, cabin number A259, a one category upgrade, looks fine to me.

We've never been upgraded with Princess.

The OP has much better chances being a Princess newbie. They tend to upgrade newbies and honeymooners more than anyone else from what I've noticed.

I hope you're right. We're newbies waiting to find out about our cabin assignment for our April cruise. Notice and an upgrade would be nice!

Our first cruise was on the Sun Princess. They overbooked our category and evidently the sailing was sold out as we received an offer to sail two weeks later and they would refund one of our fares plus move us to a Baja stateroom with balcony mid-ship. We jumped on it. Ever since, we have mostly booked late and booked category guarantees. We have received mild upgrades (1-2 categories). This time, we booked a low category balcony guarantee and were upgraded to a BC balcony on the Riviera Deck. We've been happy with all our upgrades.

That's an awesome upgrade! Have fun on the Crown! I was just on there a couple of weeks ago, and it was great! :)

On both Princess and NCL, we have booked lowest price guarantee inside cabins and have always been upgraded at least 4 levels to inside cabins on much higher decks. If we're sailing the Caribbean or Alaska, we're willing to gamble on the unknown and to take a "run-of-the-ship" cabin. But when we're doing a Transpacific crossing (as we are next week on Golden Princess) or Transatlantic crossing (as we are in Nov. on Celebrity Solstice), we purposely pick a specific cabin in order to stay midship. We wouldn't want to be up in the bow or even in the stern with so many sea days and potential for some rough seas. Also, these are longer cruises and we wouldn't want to get stuck under a nightclub or galley.

Archived