Fuel charges suspended starting Dec 17

Boytjie

I think that it is quite humorous that everyone is so ecstatic about this announcement and was so negative about the previous policy, when nothing much has really changed. The fuel supplement was going to go away as of December 17th anyway since oil has been below $70 since November 4th. No one sailing from that date on was going to have to pay the fuel supplement unless oil spiked above $70. Well guess what, people? CCL STILL reserves the right to charge a $9/day fuel surcharge if and when oil goes back above $70.

The only difference is that if you haven't made final payment it is being taken off now and will be added back later if oil goes up. Under the old policy, you paid the surcharge upfront and then got it refunded to you as an obc at sailing.

Admittedly, this is a more consumer-friendly way of presenting the issue. But monetarily, nothing has really changed. If you were going to pay it under the old policy, you're going to pay it under this new policy. If you weren't going to have to pay for it under the old policy, then you won't have to pay it under the new policy.

The key is still $70. Nothing has really changed that.

I think that it is quite humorous that everyone is so ecstatic about this announcement and was so negative about the previous policy, when nothing much has really changed. The fuel supplement was going to go away as of December 17th anyway since oil has been below $70 since November 4th. No one sailing from that date on was going to have to pay the fuel supplement unless oil spiked above $70. Well guess what, people? CCL STILL reserves the right to charge a $9/day fuel surcharge if and when oil goes back above $70.

The only difference is that if you haven't made final payment it is being taken off now and will be added back later if oil goes up. Under the old policy, you paid the surcharge upfront and then got it refunded to you as an obc at sailing.

Admittedly, this is a more consumer-friendly way of presenting the issue. But monetarily, nothing has really changed. If you were going to pay it under the old policy, you're going to pay it under this new policy. If you weren't going to have to pay for it under the old policy, then you won't have to pay it under the new policy.

The key is still $70. Nothing has really changed that.

Consumer friendly, yes. That's the key. A more sensible business approach? Absolutely. Way to go, HAL...!

It IS on the HAL site. It is probably on all of the sites of the affected cruise lines. But, as the other poster stated, it IS on the HAL site.

I understand that, however, Carnival Corp is what makes this call. It won't be HAL's decision if it's reinstated, it will be HAL doing what Carnival Corp has told it to do.

That was my point. Sorry if I didn't make it clearly :o

I agree - we sail on the 11th. Too bad!

My son and his wife sail on their honeymoon (and first cruise) on Saturday, 12/6.

I called HAL- tried to sweet talk them, even got one higher on their food chain.

They wouldn't budge.

It would have been nice if they had made just a teensy exception.

Carnival Corp. has just announced that "A refund of the fuel supplement will be made in the form of a shipboard credit for all bookings within the final payment period for departures on or after December 17, 2008."

http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines....entUpdate.aspx

Hey guys,disappointed with you.Was on the Princess boards first.

It will be in the form of OBC so you can do with it what you will.

Some OBCs specifically exclude use for tips--they are for spending on board only. Some OBCs can be used for tips--some cannot. Depends on the terms. That is why I asked. Does anyone know for sure?

Some OBCs specifically exclude use for tips--they are for spending on board only. Some OBCs can be used for tips--some cannot. Depends on the terms. That is why I asked. Does anyone know for sure?

On previous HAL sailings we've used OBC to cover various on-board spending, including the daily hotel service charge. I'd expect the OBC for fuel rebates could be used likewise. :):)

Archived