Island v. Diamond

Readytogo

On a scale of 1 to 10. I would rate the Diamond or Sapphire a 9 and the Island or Coral a 10. Have been on all. Would do any in a heartbeat. All great beautiful ships. Do the itinerary.

GERTZ

Princess Elite

Thank you. Is the Diamond noticiably larger?

The diamond carries more passengerss (2600) compared to the Coral/Island which is 1950 passengers. I have been on the coral 5 times which is a sister to the island and once on the diamond and even though both ships are great I really prefer the Coral/Island size. The one advantage of sailing the Island is that if you get a mini-site there are covered ones in the bow and aft of the ship whereas the diamond only has covered on the Emerald. To help you a fellow cruiser made up this site for the Coral/Island ships.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Mairlyn

Having been on both the Diamond and the Coral, I would go with the Island hands down. Nothing wrong with the Diamond but the Island/Coral ships are the gems in the Princess crown as far as I am concerned.

Cheers, Denise

It is larger but their both very large. The space ratio (GRT divided by number of pax) is the key to how crowded they may be. The Diamond or Sapphire is 43.5 while the Coral or Island is 47.0. A little better but not much. Whereas the Seaborne Pride a very deluxe small ship is at 48.

I like the others prefer the Island or Coral but they are so close do the itinerary that bests suits your needs. My opinion get a balcony or Mini if you can Alaska is worth it.

Again the lovely and beautiful

GERTZ

Princess Elite

Hi Mairlyn haven't spoken for a while

We have been on both Diamond - to Hawaii, and Island - Panama. Both ships are fine, but we prefer the smaller size of Island, and for Alaska particularly I think the smaller the better - less people getting on and off! We also loved the forward Horizon Court area on Island - great views for breakfast, lunch, OR dinner. On a glacier day, I'd be up in Horizon Court early enjoying breakfast with that gorgeous forward view, and with the extended daylight hours up there, it would be wonderful for dinner too! If your party includes children, they might enjoy the bigger ship more, but if the itineraries are exactly the same I'd choose the Island for DH and myself.

They are both the same length and basically the same number of public decks (Island missing Skywalkers). You won't really notice the Island being smaller in just walking around on it, as it's still the same distance front to back and top to bottom. It's just narrower, which means they have a lot less inside cabins. Cabins are 3 across on this class instead of 4 across on the Grand classes. As others have said, you'll notice the size difference in the passenger count. You'll probably still have to get to the Princess Theater early though LOL.

I too have to go with the Island -- we've sailed both and the one thing i did not like about the Diamond is the four anytime dining rooms.

The island has two large anytime dining rooms that are identical, the diamond has four smaller rooms, (I assume they occupy the same amount of people in total) with a theme in each. Seemed like we would go to one and see a line so go to another and see a line then go to a third and then great no line. But it was just too broken up. Rooms felt smaller and much darker.

Enjoy

The Island Princess, hands down, is my favorite Princess ship. Just love that size of ship and the layout. The Bayou Cafe is only available on the Island and Coral. Love that place for a good steak - cajun style!

I've been on the Diamond, but found that ship just a tad too big for my taste. Nice ship, but the Island wins for me.

On the Island, you could go to the show lounge 15 minutes before the start of the show & still get a seat.. maybe not in the best location, but still a seat.

Try that on the diamond & you'll soon realize that you'll have to plan arriving 40 minutes ahead to stake out your spot. :mad:

Archived