Injured on ship .. need advice.

hackwid

Why can't an accident just be an accident?

Why would you think the staff has the time to stand around staring at every inch of the floor in case someone spills something on it so they can leap into action and throw themselves across the puddle to save the passengers from catastrophe?!

Why is it the cruise lines fault that the accident victim was not looking where she was going? (she seems to think it is everyone's else's job to look at every spot on the floor where she may step)

Why... because there is no personal accountability anymore.

I agree completely! It's a ship, in the ocean, something tells me right there that there is going to be some wet areas on the ship. There is nothing that can be made completely safe, even non-slip surfaces can "catch" you and you're going to lose your balance.

Learn to be more careful, take responsibility for your mistake and get on with your life.

Aubie

While I am sorry that you got hurt, I just don't see this as being the cruise line's fault. You're on a ship. Things will be wet and slippery at times. Common sense will tell you that.

Last year I took my daughter horseback riding at a local stable. While I was halfway on the horse, the horse spooked, and I ended up injuring my right ankle which had me out of work for 6 months. The poor girl who was trying to help me looked like she had a broken leg from when the horse came down on her. I'm sure I could've sued for lost wages, medical bills, etc., but I didn't. Everyone who gets on a horse knows about the possibility of it getting spooked and this was just one of those unfortunate instances when I was in a vulnerable position. (one foot in the stirrup and about to swing the other one over). It is time that everyone in this country took some personal responsibily for their decisions.

Wow- Why post a bogus post? I don't understand the reasoning.

At first I was sympathetic with OP (even though I am accused of being a "cheerleader"), but his/her circumstances did not jibe with our experience with Royal Caribbean. So I myself did a bit of sleuthing. I didn't go as far back as a previous poster who exposed OP, but I did notice that back in October he/she started a complaint post.

Looks like someone needs some attention - bad!!

She was 29 when she fell, but the trauma aged her consdierably.

She did say it took a while for a RCI staff to attend to her - I assumed it was a few minutes but apparently it was about 40 years that passed until she was attended to! Surprised other guests did not trip over her and claim it was RCI's fault.

I disagree with everyones recommendation to have travel insurance. A $300 medical bill is not that expense and would be close to what travel insurance would have cost.

I would write a letter to RCL's customer service dept and tell them your story. My guess is they will send you a voucher of $300 to compensate you for that medical bill.

I guess you don't use seatbelts in your car either since you've never been in a wreck??? Travel insurance is the best bargain for a worry free vacation. Example: We recently returned from two weeks in Europe that included a 12 day Med cruise. Insurance for the two of us was only $250. For short cruises it's really cheap. Why take the chance? Not only does it cover you, but if there is an emergency in your family back home, it will cover your expenses to get back. For me it's a no-brainer. Those that decide they don't want to take it out have no right to complain when something happens and they have to pay the piper.

Aubie

I am glad you were not seriously hurt. Of course, it's too late but travel insurance is very important. I had an accident in Italy on the Legend of the Seas on 10/31 and am now wheelchair bound with a broken ankle; had surgery in Livorno when the ship docked and returned home for recuperation. But not through any help from the ship personnel. They do nothing for you. Luckily, RCCL's Medical Representative was contacted after I was taken by ambulance to the hospital who helped me every step of the way since there was also a language barrier to contend with. CSA also came through and guided me through evacuation procedures; they even sent a USA doctor to accompany me home in case of any complications on my return. RCCL doesn't seem to have any procedure in place to help its passengers in an emergency which is very disappointing. I have not heard from RCCL since. I have not submitted anything to CSA yet so I don't know how they will come through. Good luck to you in whatever way you choose to pursue this issue.

If the OP gets a personal injury lawyer in Florida to take her case, it won't cost her a thing until she settles. It's called a contingency fee.

So, no need to discourage her about the hourly cost of an attorney, cost to fly to Florida to testify, etc. The attorney gets a fee only when the case settles and he/she fronts all costs 'til then.

Moreover, a letter to RCCL I predict will get the OP absolutely zilch. She's better off contacting an attorney.

The attorney gets a fee only when the case settles and he/she fronts all costs 'til then.

No attorney I have worked for has "front[ed] all costs 'til then." They don't get a fee unless they win, but the client pays all costs. Otherwise you'd never get a lawyer to take a case on a contingency basis.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with this. Maybe you should try to call them and if you don't get a good answer, as some others have suggested, ask to speak to their boss. I agree that you taking RCI to court would be a big hassle and probably not worth it.

Instead, if you can get a hold of RCI and talk to them, you can even hint that you might consider suing. When we were at a hotel with friends, we ate at the hotel restaurant. My friend specifically told the waiter to tell the chef that my friend's son could have no nuts in his meal (deadly allergic). Well sure enough, the meal comes, and her son takes one bite and within about 30 seconds he turns a shade of blue and is starting to choke. In the end, he was ok, she had an epipen and we called an ambulance, but the hotel was not at all accomodating, in fact, they were difficult and while he was having his allergy attack and she was panicking in the lobby, a hotel employee had the nerve to ask them if they could wait in the back of the hotel! To finish this, my friend called the hotel manager and told them the story and the awful treatment and the manager said name your price and this we can make this all go away. Maybe you'll have the same luck.

At first I was sympathetic with OP (even though I am accused of being a "cheerleader"), but his/her circumstances did not jibe with our experience with Royal Caribbean. So I myself did a bit of sleuthing. I didn't go as far back as a previous poster who exposed OP, but I did notice that back in October he/she started a complaint post.

Looks like someone needs some attention - bad!!

I'm just confused here. Any questions answered would be good...:D

Can't tell about age from previous posts about age (although the OP doesn't sound particularly old), but regarding place of residence, several posts mention that they live in Orlando, and having lots of choices in ships because of their Florida residence, and several times refers to his wife. So, apparently the op is a male, and does, indeed, live in Florida.

Can't tell about age from previous posts about age (although the OP doesn't sound particularly old), but regarding place of residence, several posts mention that they live in Orlando, and having lots of choices in ships because of their Florida residence, and several times refers to his wife. So, apparently the op is a male, and does, indeed, live in Florida.

So...perhaps the hubby (71) is using the same user account as his DW (30 ish) :confused: One lives in Orlando the other one doesn't?

Gosh, I'm still confused...

###

A lawyer will take a case without a retainer, IF the amount to be obtained in the lawsuit is worth it. Its usually 30%, so of $300 thats only $100. No way any lawyer will consider it. And no she cannot get "pain and suffering" that takes much more to prove.

she did say it took a while for a rci staff to attend to her - i assumed it was a few minutes but apparently it was about 40 years that passed until she was attended to! Surprised other guests did not trip over her and claim it was rci's fault.

:d:d:d

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the Ryndam last month and on the second night out (formal night), we left the upper dining room and headed for the stairs. I took a couple of steps and warned my wife and anyone else to hold the bannister since the carpet was slippery. My wife and another woman fell and slid down the stair on their backs. I was able to stop my wife before she hit the bottom. The other women ended up on the bottom and cut her head on the wall. My wife was taken in a wheelchair to the infirmary. The doctor was very nice and told her she was probably just bruised and would be sore. She prescribed OTC naproxen and that was it. A followup phone call and a plate of chocolates the next day. The doctor commented that they seem to be having a lot of falls on this cruise. A total of 4 women slipped and fell that day. A security officer mentioned to me that sometimes the detergents they use on the carpets can be slippery.

Now we are home and my wife is getting much more medical treatment. She went to her neuroligist who prescribed 6 weeks of physical therapy. She had a preexisting herniated disk in her lower back and he suspected bruising and inflammation. She went to her chiroprator and he said whiplash in her neck and is doing massage and adjustments.

This happened on Dec 12 and she is still very unsteady and having pain and balance issues.

We are not sue crazy people. We have good medical insurance. We love Holland America and this was our 24th HA cruise.

I have left two phone messages with customer relations and no phone call back yet. I am tolerant since it is the New Year week. I will try again on Monday.

I think HA should be paying the medical bills related to this slip and fall. I am not looking for a settlement or something for nothing but I think they should pay for the doctors and therapy.

I already did a little legal research and found out that HA stuff falls under the jurisdiction of the Washington state courts and there are several lawyers advertizing on the Internet for HA passenger business. I hope it does not come to that. I am sure we are only talking about a couple of thousand in medical bills.

Anyone have anything like this happen in the past??

WOW - I'm getting a little nervous - it's several years since we cruised RCCL but I know I don't want to fall on our next RCCl cruise - it seems to cause rapid aging, sex change and amnesia regarding place of residence. :)

I know all these stories of other 'helpful happy outcome' from falling experince stories don't help the OP - however .... my 12 yr old son fell down the concrete pool deck stairs on the Mercury - the Celebrity Staff were AMAZING - they rushed him to the infirmary, took complete top to toe x-rays, pampered him like a baby, gave us icepacks etc all for no charge. Then, the next day they sent us a letter THANKING US for allowing them to be of service to us ... as well they phoned to check up on him at least once that I recall !!

My point is that I assumed all cruise lines would be so helpful and accomodating - unless OP is totally making this entire thing up, I guess I'm wrong. We always carry med. insurance BUT we will be very,very sure to in the future.

I fell on the wood walkway coming out the main dining room. It looks like a small bridge but does not go over anything. Apparently there is a dip on one side. I was not hurt but did go down on all fours. Has any one else had that problem in this spot. My husband also stumbled in this spot. :confused:

Hi All

Not being American, i am astounded by the sue/compensation mentality.

I am sorry you fell.

It was an accident nothing more. Some kid could have gone into WJ for food straight out of the pool. Why would any cruise line be liabile.

Its like the accident i had in the dining room when the waiter wasnt watching what she was doing and poured hot water for tea down my leg.

Yes it hurt but she didnt mean it.

If you had travel insurance you would have been covered and my guess is thats why you are looking to RCL.

Accidents happen and yes you can be out of pocket but that is life.

Caz

I fell on the wood walkway coming out the main dining room. It looks like a small bridge but does not go over anything. Apparently there is a dip on one side. I was not hurt but did go down on all fours. Has any one else had that problem in this spot. My husband also stumbled in this spot. :confused:

I seem to recall on the Adventurer of the Seas that there was something odd about one of the decks at a certain spot that caused me to stumble. It may have been what you are talking about. I thought it was quite odd.

There is actually a couple of other reasons to buy travel insurance.

1. Lost luggage. With the weather issues that have had happened over the last few weeks there have been several reports here on Cruise Critic about people going the entire cruise with no luggage.

2. Unforseen job action. Some policies will cover you if you get laid off and want to cancel a cruise.

Having said that I normally don't buy travel insurance. I live in Florida so have driven to all but two cruises, so the potential of lost luggage is non-existent. I am also relatively young with no medical issues and about the only risky thing I engage in on a cruise is snorkeling.

Having said that, for our upcoming Med cruise I did buy travel insurance due to having to fly (although I think my AMEX card would cover lost luggage) and the countries we are visiting cause me some concern about the potential for injury and getting adequate medical care if need be.

good luck trying to get rccl to assume responsibility. read the back of your ticket....once you used it, it relieves them of any responsibility. i got hurt on a nccl cruise, my first at that. it was in the late 90's. i was on crutches for 4 days of the cruise and fell on water leaking from the ceiling. the air conditioner had gone out 3 days into the cruise and everyone was sleeping on deck. it was horrific.

only because the cruise was so horrible, (oh yea, did i mention the engines went out twice and we drifted around for a while) was i able to get something out of them. when we docked in galveston, i contacted the houston chronicle, my TA, prime time, date line, etc. i contacted nccl numerous times....well, u get the point. i would have had to go down to florida to file suit. just so happens a friend of ours is an attorney and his former law school room mate resides in florida and i kind of mentioned that.

i handled it diplomatically with the nccl gentleman they had assigned to the case and after 6 or so months, i received a free cruise for me and my hubby and my son. i was treated like a queen.

i wouldn't have bothered with it if the a/c and engines had not gone out but it was really really bad!!!!

a few months later, the ship was sent down to australia, never to return.

i don't think it will be worth your time and effort. it will cost you more than it is worth BUT i would send a very tactful letter to someone in authority letting them know of your concerns. you never know what will happen.

There are different levels of Medicare coverage. Part C policies supposedly will cover injuries that are outside the US. :)

medicare does not cover outside the US- some privately paid for supplemental coverages do(this is what that is). medicare NEVER covers outside the US(there is in fact one exception when your permanent address inside the US is closer to a hospital in Canada or Mexico but it is a rare exception).

Also no attorney will take this case its not worth anything- no permanent damage and no loss of income.

Write a letter and hope for the best. Not every accident winds up in liability the mere fact that water was present(on a ship) is not in of itself enough...

good luck trying to get rccl to assume responsibility. read the back of your ticket....once you used it, it relieves them of any responsibility. i got hurt on a nccl cruise, my first at that. it was in the late 90's. i was on crutches for 4 days of the cruise and fell on water leaking from the ceiling. the air conditioner had gone out 3 days into the cruise and everyone was sleeping on deck. it was horrific.

only because the cruise was so horrible, (oh yea, did i mention the engines went out twice and we drifted around for a while) was i able to get something out of them. when we docked in galveston, i contacted the houston chronicle, my TA, prime time, date line, etc. i contacted nccl numerous times....well, u get the point. i would have had to go down to florida to file suit. just so happens a friend of ours is an attorney and his former law school room mate resides in florida and i kind of mentioned that.

i handled it diplomatically with the nccl gentleman they had assigned to the case and after 6 or so months, i received a free cruise for me and my hubby and my son. i was treated like a queen.

i wouldn't have bothered with it if the a/c and engines had not gone out but it was really really bad!!!!

a few months later, the ship was sent down to australia, never to return.

i don't think it will be worth your time and effort. it will cost you more than it is worth BUT i would send a very tactful letter to someone in authority letting them know of your concerns. you never know what will happen.

The cruise contract that says the cruise line is not responsible for your personal injury if they were negligent is unenforceable under US law. In fact US law has a specific prohibition in it that if the cruise begins, ends or ports in the US, a ship owner(cruise line) cannot disclaim or even limit liability for a physical injury that is caused by the cruise lines negligence. It can limit the time to file such a lawsuit and where the lawsuit can be filed by not the fact of the lawsuit or the amount of its liability(as long as it is negligent).

When you are significantly hurt get a lawyer. If you bang your knee or twist your ankle get over it. They aren't the kind of injury that should be in court.

There are many reasons for cruise insurance. I had much rather lose $100 for the insurance and have peace of mind than $3000 or more. You or a family member could get ill or have some sort of accident. If someone has to be airlifted off of a ship it would cost thousands.

I know of one company that will give you a refund even if you decide you don't want to cruise although I can't imagine anyone doing that! :D

Archived