Has Celebrity Changed???

mrtractor

Is Celebrity still all traditional dining? We're used to NCL with the "Freestyle" dining. We'll be coming into Florida on a plane with one suitcase for 10 days. I'm not sure I want to bring a tux and don't want to spend the money to rent one. What happens if you don't do formal? Do you have to order room service and eat bologna sandwiches? Or do they have other dining options on the ship for people who are slumming it? Suppose you don't want to deal with the formal dining room at all? Don't they have a casual dining option now?

I'm considering a cruise on the Celebrity Century. I've only been on the Galaxy and the Horizon. But isn't the Century basically like the Galaxy?

The prices are nice and the itinerarys are good, too. The only thing that has kept me from booking is that I'm afraid it might be too conservative for us. As I recall, the Galaxy wasn't stuffy, but was pretty formal compared to most other cruises.

Am I off base here?????

MrTractor<---------wouldn't mind doing formal, but doesn't want to haul around and pay the airlines for the extra luggage....:o.......

Celebrity is on opposite sides of the line from NCL. No freestyle and Celebrity is probably the most formal of the mass market lines. Lots of tuxes with most of the rest in dark suits. There is one casual alternate dining venue, up in the buffet area, but it's a sit down dinner with a limited menu, and a service charge attached. But other than room service, that's about it. And yes, there is more of a formality with a Celebrity cruise as opposed to NCL.

On one of our cruises we met a couple here on CC that opted out of the MDR. They ate most every meal at the Alternative restaurant or at the Specialty restaurant. Occasionally they said they just had the pasta bar, sushi, pizza.

This allowed them to dine at a time that they wanted.

If both of you are uncomfortable in tuxes and gowns, you'll be able to get away with a dark suit, dress shirt, and tie (him) and a nice dressy cocktail dress (her) on formal nights, while still being able to join everyone else at all venues aboard.

If you truly don't want to spend luggage space for any dress or office-style attire, but still want to respect the evening dress code standard, you can have room service dinner (straight from the MDR menu).

It's my understanding from these boards that you also might feel comfortable in the Windjammer buffet on those nights.

My last cruise on Century (last summer), we 'skipped' an 'informal' code night up in the Windjammer, though we were traveling with children. No one batted an eye. For all formal nights, we ladies wore gowns or cocktail dressses and the gents were in tuxes. About 2/3 of the gents wore tuxes that cruise, though it was a 12-nighter in the Baltic.

You are certain to get many other opinions here as well.

There is one casual alternate dining venue, up in the buffet area, but it's a sit down dinner with a limited menu, and a service charge attached. But other than room service, that's about it.

The service charge for dinner with waiter service in the buffet area is a whopping $2... :)

In addition, there is the new stir fry station, the sushi bar, the pasta station where your pasta is made to order, the salad bar, the pizza station, the (also new) dessert station and the ice cream bar.

Best Regards,

Floris

Is Celebrity still all traditional dining? We're used to NCL with the "Freestyle" dining. We'll be coming into Florida on a plane with one suitcase for 10 days. I'm not sure I want to bring a tux and don't want to spend the money to rent one. What happens if you don't do formal? Do you have to order room service and eat bologna sandwiches? Or do they have other dining options on the ship for people who are slumming it? Suppose you don't want to deal with the formal dining room at all? Don't they have a casual dining option now?

I'm considering a cruise on the Celebrity Century. I've only been on the Galaxy and the Horizon. But isn't the Century basically like the Galaxy?

The prices are nice and the itinerarys are good, too. The only thing that has kept me from booking is that I'm afraid it might be too conservative for us. As I recall, the Galaxy wasn't stuffy, but was pretty formal compared to most other cruises.

Am I off base here?????

MrTractor<---------wouldn't mind doing formal, but doesn't want to haul around and pay the airlines for the extra luggage....:o.......

Century is elegant & upscale--you may prefer another line...with a more casual feel--what about Royal carib radiance class?

The service charge for dinner with waiter service in the buffet area is a whopping $2... :)

In addition, there is the new stir fry station, the sushi bar, the pasta station where your pasta is made to order, the salad bar, the pizza station, the (also new) dessert station and the ice cream bar.

Best Regards,

Floris

Yes, I know it's a small amount, but for some people, a $2 charge per person per night is something they may not care to do, despite how small the dollar amount. And the other alternate restaurant is $30 per person and follows the dress code of the evening, so if the OP wants to dine there on formal night, they must dress to the code.

hcat,

I am aware that Celebrity is different than NCL. We've been on three cruises with them and enjoyed each immensely. Otherwise we wouldn't consider taking another one. And the formal part doesn't bother me. In fact, in our over 30 cruises, we've gone formal on at least one night on every one of them. Including NCL, when it's totally optional.

What I'm asking here is if there are now alternatives to the formal traditional cruise dining options. I'm not going exclude Celebrity because they have formal nights. I'm just trying to find out if, in the case that I can't carry all the stuff in my one suitcase, are there other options.

Burgerbits,

I'm not uncomfortable in a tux. Check out my avatar. Yes, that's really me. But by the time I pack a jacket and slacks, I might as well pack the tux. I was trying to figure out if, in the interest of saving space for important stuff like drinkin' shirts and swim trunks, I could make it without the tux and still feel comfortable on the ship. And also not make my table companions feel uncomfortable if I didn't come to formal night. The cruise I'm considering is a 5 nighter and there will be only one formal night. The other nights, I'll be OK with.

gracecarmo,

Sounds like it's possible to completely skip the main dining room experience all together. But that's one of the things we LIKE about Celebrity. Dinner is a real event! But that one night, we might just sneak into the Windjammer or the buffet. But if I remember correctly, the dress code was enforced all over the ship the entire night. Will we be excluded from certain areas or activities because we are not "dressy" enough? I'm not talking about a pair of jeans and a "Big Johnson" t-shirt here. I'm talking about a pair of slacks and an open collared silk shirt. Something that typically would be seen as very nice on one of the "smart casual" nights.

MrTractor<--------has two tuxes, but doesn't want to bring either one of them.....this time.........:rolleyes:...........

hcat,

I am aware that Celebrity is different than NCL. We've been on three cruises with them and enjoyed each immensely. Otherwise we wouldn't consider taking another one. And the formal part doesn't bother me. In fact, in our over 30 cruises, we've gone formal on at least one night on every one of them. Including NCL, when it's totally optional.

What I'm asking here is if there are now alternatives to the formal traditional cruise dining options. I'm not going exclude Celebrity because they have formal nights. I'm just trying to find out if, in the case that I can't carry all the stuff in my one suitcase, are there other options.

Burgerbits,

I'm not uncomfortable in a tux. Check out my avatar. Yes, that's really me. But by the time I pack a jacket and slacks, I might as well pack the tux. I was trying to figure out if, in the interest of saving space for important stuff like drinkin' shirts and swim trunks, I could make it without the tux and still feel comfortable on the ship. And also not make my table companions feel uncomfortable if I didn't come to formal night. The cruise I'm considering is a 5 nighter and there will be only one formal night. The other nights, I'll be OK with.

gracecarmo,

Sounds like it's possible to completely skip the main dining room experience all together. But that's one of the things we LIKE about Celebrity. Dinner is a real event! But that one night, we might just sneak into the Windjammer or the buffet. But if I remember correctly, the dress code was enforced all over the ship the entire night. Will we be excluded from certain areas or activities because we are not "dressy" enough? I'm not talking about a pair of jeans and a "Big Johnson" t-shirt here. I'm talking about a pair of slacks and an open collared silk shirt. Something that typically would be seen as very nice on one of the "smart casual" nights.

MrTractor<--------has two tuxes, but doesn't want to bring either one of them.....this time.........:rolleyes:...........

My husband has no tuxes,,but that doesn't mean he doesn't dress up. We are on Century for a 4 night cruise in Feb,,,,and there is no way I am bringing a tux or evening gown. We are on holidays....we dress very smartly and I have no worries about insulting anyone. On a 4 nite cruise, with supposedly one formal night, I really do not think it is much of an issue. I have spent many hours on this computer reading others experiences,,,trip reports,,,etc. and it seems that not everyone wears a tux and evening gown. I really honestly believe that being clean cut,,courteous,and most of all friendly are the most important factors. AFter all,,,holidays are for relaxing.

I know, I know, there will be many that say I should not have booked Celebrity,,,but for a first timer,,,it's called live and learn. No matter what,,I am going with an open mind and will have the time of my life, I just know it.

I feel much better after reading what others have experienced and not just listening to those who really insist on following the formal thing to a "t".

Megamania,

Having been on =X= before, I'm probably not going to feel comfortable in the MDR on formal night in at least a dark suit or tux. That is, if it's like the last few we've been on. And at least on the Galaxy, the Captain specifically requested that formal attire be worn all evening. I just thought that one night we'd find another place to dine and not hurt anyone's feelings - or feel like a second class citizen.

If this is still the case, I wonder where the "little people" that don't do formal can congregate wearing their gauche unsavory outfits :rolleyes:. Down in steerage where sweaty, sooty men are shoveling coal into furnaces??? :confused:

ccletzgo,

You are a packing PRO! Are those the carryon bags you're talking about? That's what we're trying to do. But ours is for a 10 day vacation. I'm not worthy! 5 days on a ship and 5 off. So we can do a little laundry if needed.

Since I'll be dressed in a bathing suit and drinkin' shirt and only a short time each evening in real clothes, I'm thinking I won't be needing but maybe one pair of underwear.

The wife didn't like that idea.

One of my tuxes, a 5 year old Nino Cerruti has slacks without the satin stripe down the side. I'm thinking I could use those as one pair of slacks for the rest of the week. I usually only bring two, one black, one white silk for a week or more. The rest is beach and fun wear - shorts and bathing suit. I think I can get by with one of each. Really. It's just all the other stuff that goes with the tux takes up so much room. The shirt I can only wear once (I'm not that creative that I can figure out a way to wear it twice!), the shoes, the cummerbund/tie/studs all take up a lot of room in the suitcase. And of course there's the jacket. All that stuff doesn't leave much room for anything else. So I guess the underwear is out!:eek: Seriously, I can do a little wash somewhere along our tour of Florida.

Maybe you can share some tips on just how you're planning on doing this!!!

All this discussion is to help us decide if we will take our 18th NCL cruise or our 5th on Celebrity. Obviously, we like NCL. But we also like Celebrity for the classy ships and great food. And the price and timing work better for us on this one. Also, this would be our 5th time on =X=, so on our next cruise, we'd move up to "Select" CC members. =X= goes a lot of places on our "DNL" (Dirt Nap List - you know, the things you want to do and see before you take the big Dirt Nap), so we thought we'd get this out of the way on a short cruise before we possibly cruised with them to the Galapagos, Greece, New Zealand, etc., places NCL doesn't go.

And it's just nice to have options!

It's between the 5 day Celebrity Century or the 5 day NCL Jewel. Seeing what I have to bring will help me to make that call.

Thanks everybody for your input!!!

MrTractor<---------refuses to rent a tux when he owns two of them........

We had decided not to go formal when we booked our cruise on the SOLSTICE. We booked the lowest catagory suite (sky suite) so we would have the option of eating the same food as the main dining room, but in a more relaxed environment (our room) on formal nights. It worked really well and we never really felt like we missed out on anything. The butler put out a table with a cloth, arranged the plates and silver and brought our dinner course by course like they do in the dining room. We even arranged for another couple (not wishing to go to formal night) to join us. We did not go to the show those nights...but in all honesty we quit going to the formal night production shows several cruises ago. Look into booking a suite...you might find a good price, and it seems as though more options are open to you.

MrTractor<---------refuses to rent a tux when he owns two of them........

I don't own any tux and don't plan to buy or rent one. I'll bring my dark suit and a few pairs of dress pants to mix and match with my coat. I'll bring a couple of ties and I think I'll be OK.

I don't need to dress up for work, many people started to dress casual when attending at our church (including me).:o So I haven't worn suit for a while, but when I go on my cruise, I'll follow the dress code for MDR or I'll eat at alternative places in my casual outfit.

tdk,

That was my thinking, too. I'll just let everyone know that I won't be joining them on formal night. If others want to join us at an alternative or Murano's I'm down with that. The rest of the nights, I'll be fine.

But I now consider it a challenge to see if I can pack for ten days in one carry on bag plus a small bag. That's what all the airlines allow now without extra cost. If we continue to pay it, they'll continue to charge it. they said it was to help offset high fuel charges, but now that fuel has dropped, they are still charging it. I refuse to be nickel and dimed. I know SWA doesnt' do this, but sometimes it just doesn't meet my requirements and schedule.

If I can't manage a suit coat or tux in the one carry on bag I'm bringing, I'm just wondering how uncomfortable I'll be walking around the ship in something less than formal attire. Will I get the "hairy eyeball" from officers and crew? Will I be asked to leave the showroom or lounge?

If people show up at the entrance to the dining room and aren't in formal/semiformal attire do crew members actually turn them away? Has anyone actually seen this done?

MrTractor.........just wondering....:rolleyes:.....

If people show up at the entrance to the dining room and aren't in formal/semiformal attire do crew members actually turn them away? Has anyone actually seen this done?

I was turned away at the MDR entrance on the 11/30 cruise for Elegant Tea. I was wearing dressy shorts but the rule was trousers for men.

Best Regards,

Floris

Too bad! There is no service charge for dinner with waiter service in the buffet area (Lido) with HAL!

There was no 'waiter service section' in the Windjammer buffet on the Century last summer during our 12-night Baltic cruise...

Had an idea for you. How about non-Western formal wear? Thai, African, Indonesian, Indian - you get where I'm going. Could be beautiful, lightweight, easy to pack.

I have had a few ao-dai sets (Vietnamese) made for me that are gorgeous. My own DH does the tux thing but then again we're not trying to save on packing space or weight.

Can also HIGHLY recommend Heys luggage to help with weight issues.

My teen-age son has often gone to formal nights with a dark dress shirt and tie, and dark pants. No one has so much as given him the evil eye. I have also never seen someone chased out of a common area for dressing casually (although I hear tell that people in shorts or jeans may be asked not to enter the dining room. On other ships, I have seen people in shorts and jeans in the dining room on occasion, so I guess it depends on the Captain or Maitre'D)

One important thing has not been mentioned. During dinner service times, ANYTHING from the dining room menu is available as room service. Walk by the dining room around lunch, pick out what is interesting from the menu (or, ask the staff for a menu and they will happily give you one) and call during dining times in the evening.

HTH!

Jason.

Sailing on the Galaxy TOMORROW!

One important thing has not been mentioned. During dinner service times, ANYTHING from the dining room menu is available as room service. Walk by the dining room around lunch, pick out what is interesting from the menu (or, ask the staff for a menu and they will happily give you one) and call during dining times in the evening.

HTH!

Jason.

Sailing on the Galaxy TOMORROW!

Yep, nothing like munching on a rib steak and fries in your shorts. You are on vacation after all :D. Did this a couple years back when our team made it to the NCAA finals.

Having said that MaryBeth would probably kill me if I don't dress up a couple nights ;).

now I could see you and the Bronze Goddess getting on the airplane dressed to the nine's.

I think formal nite is also karooke nite, your going to miss that too ??

well I usally change back into shorts and a nice cabreen shirt about 1/2 after dinner and I've never had a problem going to the show or disco. but I've only done celebrity once.. and that was before the new dress code changes.

bob g

My DH bought a black blazer from Travel Smith which he folds up. He takes a black pair of chino type pants and a white shirt - his tux. For our next cruise we decided we are going to eat on our balcony or upstairs. We just don't want to have to pack dressy clothes anymore- they take up too much room and since we do late seating we dress up essentially to eat and then go to sleep. FYI both men and women can rent dressy clothes including shoes if you wish on the Celebrity web site.

It always amazes me that "getting dressed up" amounts to torture for some people. I'm not sure if this is mostly applies to men and ties? Come on guys try wearing spanx sometimes and then tell me your neck hurts :D

I don't have a problem with what anyone wants to do on their vacation. I assume that maybe this is more about people who have jobs that HAVE to wear suits & ties (or skirts & heels) daily so on their vacation they prefer to be casual? We have a very casual lifestyle (husband is in the software industry, I am a chef) so when we go on vacation (especially a cruise vacation) I really enjoy getting dressed for dinner every night and look forward to breaking out the formal wear.

One of my favorite things about cruising is enjoying the company in the main dining room. If you would rather stay in your bathing suit and eat on your balcony than more power to you, but I'll miss meeting you.

We just got off a 14 day Mercury cruise (Panama Canal) this morning, and I found that the level of formal attire on Celebrity, particularly the men, was MUCH less formal than on my two previous Celebrity cruises, the last one being two years ago. I probably only saw about ten men in tuxes. The rest had normal suits, not all of them even dark suits. Some women wore long dresses, but many had pants or normal length skirts with a dressy top. On a shorter cruise, formal attire for women will probably be even less formal than what I experienced.

Hi all. OP here. I don't have a problem dressing up. And I think a lovely dinner on the balcony of our suite would be lovely. Just a couple of problems.......

We wouldn't be in a suite. In fact, we wouldn't even have a balcony.

Or a window.

We are trying to do this on the cheap. We don't mind tipping and would never short the crew. But we were looking at doing a quick 5 day in the middle of a 10 day vacation. All I'm trying to determine here is, what are our alternatives if we decide to forego the formal night in the main dining room. I guess a lot of people assume that, "It's all about me" on a cruise. But that's not what this discussion is about. I'd like to get a guage on whether we would make others uncomfortable if we were to skip a dinner at our assigned table or if we were to be in "resort casual attire" in the lounges or show rooms that night. That's the main reason for my post.

On past Celebrity cruises, we've dragged suitcases full of tasteful outfits and formal attire along. But that was before the airlines started charging $25 a bag. (Did I mention I was doing this on the cheap? :o And that was the only reason for our trip. This time, we're going to Florida to look at real estate and we just thought we'd squeeze a cruise in while we were there. I'm all for it if anybody wants to get dressed to the nines. And I won't insist on being seated next to them in the MDR just because I paid a cruise fare. More power to you!

Has Celbrity changed to the point where a cruiser who doesn't do formal will feel uncomfortable or make those around him feel that way???

Bob, I don't think this crowd could handle my kareoke performances!!!

MrTractor<------may still bring tux if he can squeeze it in........

Archived