I'm a Convert!

Soxfan05

Strapless dresses...

I swore up and down I'd NEVER, EVER purchase one of those monstrosities. When I went shopping for a wedding gown for my Caribbean wedding the only thing I could ever find that was 1) reasonbly priced 2) trainless and 3) not covered in gobs of sequins and glitter (we got married by the ocean at 3:30 in the afternoon) was a bunch of strapless dresses. I FINALLY found something with an actual top, and purchased it.

Not too long after, I was at Ann Taylor and found a really cute strapless shimmery (satin?) cocktail dress that fit like a charm and looked great, so I gave in-- the clearance rack price didn't hurt.

I just bought my second strapless dress, a long evening gown, off the internet- the price was unbelievable and when I got it the fit was VERY va-va-voom and nice.

I still don't love strapless dresses and wouldn't choose them often but I do like the two I have. They're both very fitted with a distinct bust-waist-hip outline so they fit nicely (it seems most strapless dresses I see are often more "tube like" or empire waisted--- I am a dress size 4 or 6 but fairly well endowed up top and in the hip department so a fitted dress looks much better. I never thought I'd find a strapless dress with enough room in the chest and in the rear but I did!)

1) Strapless dresses. I'm fairly well-endowed, always have been. I always worried that anything strapless would travel south as I wore it (I once dared to wear a strapless bikini while barely 15 - didn't last long! :eek:). I've since found some that I absolutely love and that stay in place well - it's about finding the right fit and the right material. (Also, a well-made dress or top is always far better than the cheaper variety)

2) Crocs. While on the Fascination a few years ago, we were walking around Key West and the new beaded sandals I bought had mangled my feet within an hour. I couldn't stand it and began looking for inexpensive replacement shoes and the only cheap, comfy-ish shoes I could find in that particular area were a pair of knockoff crocs. They were freakishly comfortable.

I bought a pair of the sandals a few months later. Then some ballet flats (which I've gotten more compliments on than any other shoes I own, I may note). Then a month ago, the wooly ones - which have only left my home once. The best, and by far cutest, I've found so far though are these heels: http://shop.crocs.com/pc-1205-4-venice.aspx?navcategories=3,152.

No one believes they're Crocs when I show them. I've tried them on, though, and they're insanely comfortable. I'm stoked.

I think now, I've decided, I'm going to keep a more open mind about what I'll "never, ever" try.

I think now, I've decided, I'm going to keep a more open mind about what I'll "never, ever" try.

I think that's a great plan!

I remember when I went to try on wedding gowns I had a definite style in mind. I ended up with a portrait collar gown which I would never have tried on if not for the salesgirl at the bridal salon. It was gorgeous and to this day I still look at wedding photos and love my gown.

My problem is I am over endowed up top and said I would NEVER wear anything low cut that needed a push up bra. Well, I found the perfect low cut black dress for our cruise in Jan. Not only is it low cut, but empire waist, and I needed a low cut push up bra!!! I bought everything and am so excited to wear it it's stupid. Of course I had to get jewelry and shoes to match. At 58 years of age....Go figure!!!

Ditto on the capries....I don't even wear shorts anymore because the capries not only look good, they cover up a lot of leg problems. I remember when they called them pedal pushers and I too, said I would never wear them. Changed my mind on that one!!

As for the croc's. my grandkids love them. I still think they are not that attractive. Besides, I have to wear orthothics in my shoes because of an unusually high arch so I can't wear them. At least I can get away with cheap shoes since I put my own support in them!!

Happy Cruising!!

Several years ago when capris came back in I swore I would never buy them. Thought they would just be a fad that would go out after a season.

By about year 3, I finally broke down and got some. Now that I'm well into my 30's I find I much prefer them to shorts. :)

So you are right, never say never!

Me too! But I can only wear the longer slim-legged styles...still, never thought I'd wear them at all!

I am about to turn the big 50, and who would have thought that I would be wearing thong panties.

I swore I would not and could not wear them. I even said who would want to wear them. I found out I was the only woman not wearing them at my job. (age range of 25 to 49) so I said I would buy one pair and give them a try.

Wow, first you never have to worry about panty lines again. Second, you don't have to constantly be pulling your panties back in the proper position. Third, you don't have to worry about which panties to wear with the particular pair of pants. They work with jeans, tight stretch pants, wool, everything I own and wear.

Someone told me that the only people who hate thongs are the people who have never tried them, and I guess I have to agree now.

Jan

You mean people still wear panties OTHER than thongs!?

I didn't realize that was possible! :D

I've been wearing them for years (although completely INSIDE of my pants which I realize is a departure from the current fashion...) and I can't imagine anything else.

Ha!! Count me in the non-thong group. :p That's one change I know I won't be making...I gotta have cheek coverage!! :D

Someone told me that the only people who hate thongs are the people who have never tried them, and I guess I have to agree now.

Nope...I've tried 'em! Several different styles. No go for me.

But I love my low-rise bikinis. ;) They go with all my low-rise pants that I never thought I would wear!

Wow, three "non-thongers". You all seem almost as passionate about NO THONGS! as I do about wearing them! However I guess I don't really know why you don't like them. (Please don't be graphic, I'm just curious- not comfy? looks weird?)

It's kind of like hearing three people all say they don't like chocolate... I simply can't fathom why!

Non-thonger #4 here. It is sort of like the people that don't like the thong thingie between their toes on flip-flops. It rubs and chafes so they choose sandels with no thong. Same thing, they rub and chafe but not between your toes. :eek:

I'm a big gal and need underwear that can contain my tummy, but amazingly I found a thong that did that. I only have the one pair so don't wear it too often - made the mistake on my wedding day of wearing a pair with a pretty picot edging, might as well have been wearing a saw blade. I like the microfiber ones the best but I'd be lost without my Jockey french cut briefs. DH likes them because they look sporty with the white waistband - go figure. Oh, and I don't really care for chocolate either. :D

I was never going to wear Crocs until I saw a friend with a pair of their Cyprus heeled sandals and they were cute and not clunky so I thought - hey, maybe I'll give them a try. The don't make them in my size (11). Guess that's one trend I won't be giving in to.

Wow, three "non-thongers". You all seem almost as passionate about NO THONGS! as I do about wearing them! However I guess I don't really know why you don't like them. (Please don't be graphic, I'm just curious- not comfy? looks weird?)

It's kind of like hearing three people all say they don't like chocolate... I simply can't fathom why!

Hi, I love chocolate:D but I don't wear thongs either.

Why don't I? They look very uncomfortable to me,

my bottom is quite big and probably would not find one that would

fit and I prefer a full coverage panty. Oh, I have no desire

to see if they would fit anyway. They are not just not for me.

Just like everything else in this big world,

Different strokes for different folks:)

Hi, I love chocolate:D but I don't wear thongs either.

Why don't I? They look very uncomfortable to me,

my bottom is quite big and probably would not find one that would

fit and I prefer a full coverage panty. Oh, I have no desire

to see if they would fit anyway. They are not just not for me.

Just like everything else in this big world,

Different strokes for different folks:)

Agree re: different strokes! Thanks for your input.

• 6 months later...

I too was a bit iffy about Crocs. I was gonna buy a pair last year when i was heading to Queensland but found them a bit pricy, so didnt get them. Now i am headed on a cruise i might go and take a look again. I think my thongs (flip flops) may slip on deck and the Crocs can be used on wet shore excursions so maybe....

Hmmm...well...I did go 33 years without Nikes! After foot surgery I needed some comfortable shoes so I broke down and bought some. Now I have two pairs, one for bumming around in and one for Jazzercise! ;)

I too wasn't big on name brand shoes, when i was 13 it was a big craze so i used all my birthday money to by a pair of adidas sneakers. they fell apart in 3 months. 10 yrs later hubby convinced me to buy a pair of nikes after i was complaining of knee and back problems. I now own 4 pairs ,i love my Nikes there addictive and no pain

I am about to turn the big 50, and who would have thought that I would be wearing thong panties.

I swore I would not and could not wear them. I even said who would want to wear them. I found out I was the only woman not wearing them at my job. (age range of 25 to 49) so I said I would buy one pair and give them a try.

Wow, first you never have to worry about panty lines again. Second, you don't have to constantly be pulling your panties back in the proper position. Third, you don't have to worry about which panties to wear with the particular pair of pants. They work with jeans, tight stretch pants, wool, everything I own and wear.

Jan

Ha!! Count me in the non-thong group. :p That's one change I know I won't be making...I gotta have cheek coverage!! :D

Ive tried wearing them but cant . feels like walking around with a permanent wedgie. ive seen worse panty lines in a thong. i only buy them for a special night with hubby and even he agrees they look uncomfortable, sexy but uncomfortable. Thongs belong on feet not butts

My never-say-nevers were both a result of my cruise!

First, I haven't worn shorts in at least 20 years. When I was slim I wore them and only felt awkward about my pale skin, but I figured when I had weight on me AND pale skin...that's just too Pillsbury! But for the cruise I bit the bullet (and also found fake tan cream)

I swore I would never wear flip-flops. Never, never, never. Uncomfortable and too exposed. But. Last two vacations I just didn't bring enough changes of shoes for all the walking. (My skin is not only pale, it's a bit fragile) Our last day in Bermuda I almost ran out of band-aids! So I finally bought a cheap-ish pair of flip-flops. Hmmm... When I got back, I found a good pair that fit really well...and I've been wearing them! Alot! I even wore them to work several times.

My sister thinks its hilarious. She's been trying to convert me for years.

Now, I've also sworn I'd never wear a thong. They look uncomfortable, and my a$$ is bad enough when covered with cotton! :eek: I just think a thong would emphasis the white dimpled flesh more. (grossed out yet?) But after the flip-flop experience...who knows? :D

Never say never!

dylaness,

Thongs can be wonderful, but they can also be very dangerous, and not just because they can transmit bacteria. I wore them for years before I found out from my Dr. that they were probably the main contributor in the development of a ingrown hair cyst I developed on my tail bone. After having to have surgery for it and spending 2 weeks on my stomach - I gave up thongs for good.

Crocs - havent tried them yet:confused:

Strapless tops/dresses - I havent found anything that fits right and I don't like my arm jiggle:(

Capris - after hating them since childhood "clam diggers" I decided to try them out, now I love them:cool:

Thongs - started wearing them in 1978 before they were popular, now I only wear them with dresses - for shorts and slacks or jeans I go Commando;)

Chocolate - Cant live without, I've tried - life isn't worth living without it:)

Crocs - havent tried them yet:confused:

Strapless tops/dresses - I havent found anything that fits right and I don't like my arm jiggle:(

Capris - after hating them since childhood "clam diggers" I decided to try them out, now I love them:cool:

Thongs - started wearing them in 1978 before they were popular, now I only wear them with dresses - for shorts and slacks or jeans I go Commando;)

Chocolate - Cant live without, I've tried - life isn't worth living without it:)

I went Commando once years ago in slacks and ended up with an embarassing stain. NEVER again!

I love my Crocs. They are my summertime "slippers" and my travel shoes. I can wear them with socks (really comfy) and they are the easiest thing in the world to take off going through airport security.

My "never" was a double-negative. I swore I'd never NOT wear pantyhose with a skirt or dress. I still don't like the look of my bare legs with shorter skirts, so I solved that by never wearing shorter skirts! My only concern for my upcoming cruise is that one of my dresses really needs hose, but I'll use self-tanner and see if I can get away without pantyhose purgatory.

The funny thing is that I can remember the birth of pantyhose and how we all were delighted to give up garter belts and stockings.

My "never" was a double-negative. I swore I'd never NOT wear pantyhose with a skirt or dress. I still don't like the look of my bare legs with shorter skirts, so I solved that by never wearing shorter skirts! My only concern for my upcoming cruise is that one of my dresses really needs hose, but I'll use self-tanner and see if I can get away without pantyhose purgatory.

The funny thing is that I can remember the birth of pantyhose and how we all were delighted to give up garter belts and stockings.

How about stay-ups? All the joys of hose without the panty!

I only ever had problems with them once, when they first came out in the 80's. I had a long raincoat with a wool lining..as I walked, the lining sort of gripped my stockings and twisted them...which eventually made them fall down around my ankles! :p

How about stay-ups? All the joys of hose without the panty!

I only ever had problems with them once, when they first came out in the 80's. I had a long raincoat with a wool lining..as I walked, the lining sort of gripped my stockings and twisted them...which eventually made them fall down around my ankles! :p

I've never had the nerve to try them. I figure either they'll cut off circulation at the top of my thigh, or fall down!

I've never had the nerve to try them. I figure either they'll cut off circulation at the top of my thigh, or fall down!

They have a sort of sticky rubber in a pattern on the inside of the thigh cuff. It makes it stick to your skin. The ones with the wide lace cuff seem to work better than ones with just a band.

You would always buy some on sale and wear them around the house first And don't wear a wool-lined raincoat!! :D

Archived