JS gratuties same as Suites??/

mammy

I was just reading another thread where recent cruisers were charged suite gratuities, for their JS......I thought that because you don't get any suite perks with the JS, the grats were the same as all the other cat.....can anyone confirm this:confused:

I was just reading another thread where recent cruisers were charged suite gratuities, for their JS......I thought that because you don't get any suite perks with the JS, the grats were the same as all the other cat.....can anyone confirm this:confused:

I can confirm that back in Sept. I was charged the regular cabin tip to my seapass account for staying in a JS.

I've followed the discussions about the appropriate gratuity for the Junior Suites for quite a while now. Since the "appropriate" amount is always up to the recipient of the services as they determine the value it is really a moot point.

That being said, I can't understand why some people say that the Junior Suite receives none of the suite perks so it should be treated the same as the other cabins rather than as a suite. The Junior Suite grants an extra cruise credit for each cruise and I have also received priority check-in and embarkation on every cruise because I was occupying a suite. (Now that we're Diamond we receive priority anyway) Just because I don't receive all of the perks that are attached to the Owners Suite doesn't mean that I'm not receiving some benefits from the Junior Suite. I always go the Guest Relations to make sure that they use the higher suite rate when calculating the gratuities because I feel that the cabin attendants deserve it.

I realize that this flies in the face of popular opinion but I just wanted to state the case for the other viewpoint.

Tom

I've followed the discussions about the appropriate gratuity for the Junior Suites for quite a while now. Since the "appropriate" amount is always up to the recipient of the services as they determine the value it is really a moot point.

That being said, I can't understand why some people say that the Junior Suite receives none of the suite perks so it should be treated the same as the other cabins rather than as a suite. The Junior Suite grants an extra cruise credit for each cruise and I have also received priority check-in and embarkation on every cruise because I was occupying a suite. (Now that we're Diamond we receive priority anyway) Just because I don't receive all of the perks that are attached to the Owners Suite doesn't mean that I'm not receiving some benefits from the Junior Suite. I always go the Guest Relations to make sure that they use the higher suite rate when calculating the gratuities because I feel that the cabin attendants deserve it.

I realize that this flies in the face of popular opinion but I just wanted to state the case for the other viewpoint.

Tom

We were in a JS out of Port Canaveral on Mariner in October 2007 and did not get priority check in. Having said that, we were early enough and there were no queues checking in anyway. On Freedom out out of Miami this October however we did get priorty check in. I think a lot depends on what port you are sailing from.

You don't actually have to go to Guest Relations to use the higher rate. What we do is simply add extra to their envelope on the last night. This can be done irregardless of what category cabin you are in.

We were on Mariner October 26-November 1 and stayed in a JS. We put our tips on the Sea Pass and were charged the regular cabin charges for our steward. We had great service from him, so we tipped extra, but never in all our cruises on RCCL where we have been in a JS, were we charged the suite rates for the steward.

I don't know why someone would be billed a full suite charge, but in my experience, it hasn't happened.

You're always free to tip however you see fit but JS tips are the same as a regular cabin. Perhaps they are basing it on the size and amount of work for the stateroom attendant in addition to the perks you get.....(although some of those "perks" such as CL access really have nothing to do with the cabin attendant, nor does the extra cruise credit or priority boarding)

JS gratuities are the same as all the other rooms on the ship except for GS and above. We usually sail in a JS but tip extra in addition to the suggested amount. The only real JS perk, aside from having more room, is getting 2 cruise credits...or even 3 for 12 nights or more. :)

I have yet to read a responsible post from anyone who, when they had the tips for their JS added to their onboard account, were charged at the rates that apply to a full suite. It has never been our experience and while I have read posts where claims were made that guests in Junior Suites should tip at the higher rate, this suggestion has never come from Royal Caribbean staff members and it is not what RCI suggests in its tipping guidelines. This topic comes up on occasion but is usually quickly refuted by posters whose experience contradicts the claim.:rolleyes:

We've stayed in nothing but JS's (Category C, actually) for the last 4 cruises and the tip amount is the same as all other non suite cabins. Think of the Category C as a big D cabin with a bathtub and, on a lot of ships, a walk-in closet. That's really all it is.

JS's tip the same as a regular cabin. The attendant's don't have nearly as much to clean as they do in the "real" suites, therefore, the tip is lower. You will still (most likely) get exceptional service.

The 2 C&A credits is from RCI---NOT the attendant---extra tipping is not needed for that "benefit"!

I sailed Nov 30 - Dec 7 on Vision and went to put my tips on my seapass card. They said Jr. Suite gets tipped at the full suite rate. I asked them double check and they went and asked a supervisor. who said "YES" full suite tip. I declined to put the tips on my sea pass and used the envelopes with cash at the $3.50 per person per day. The Jr. wasn't all that big and luxurious, it was aout the same size as our Hump balcony on Voyager earlier in the year.

I agree with the previous poster about the room steward not being impacted by the double cruise credit or priority check in which D members get anyway.

Tom

Of course tipping is a personal matter and there´s no real right or wrong. In my opinion non of the given suite perks in JS have anything to do with the room steward (who´s tip we discuss here) to do. S/He has nothing to do with priority boarding, double cruise credits, etc.

S/He deserves a higher recommended tip in full suites because there´s much more work involved form him/her for these.

But that´s not the point about most of the discussion anyway and I think you are missing a point here. The questions are usually about what RCI recommends as tipping amount for JS. This is not a matter of personal decisions but something the cruise line provides the information for us.

Except for some very rare cases it has been prooven on these boards by many many posters that RCI recommends the regular cabin rate for the room stewards tip. This has nothing to do with any suite perks coming with a JS or not coming with a JS. It´s just what RCI recommends, simple and unbiased objective.

Of course everybody can make their own decision about what to add on top of the recommended amount.

On my one and only experience in a JS on RCCL, the tip sheet in the cabin to put your tip charges on your seapass had the higher amount. I had simply thought the recommendations had gone up, and never gave it another thought.

Until it came time for the deadline, where I did not have that sheet, and simply walked up to the desk to "pay". They gave me a standard sheet, which had the regular amounts, and I "paid" that.

I guess there are at least two different versions of the tip sheets.

I wonder if Stewart was trying to pull a fast one. :confused:

Thanks to all of you who gave such quick replies.....I was just wondering, because I have seen some posters who said the Js are tipped at regular rate, while others have been charged more.....I think it is important to have some kind of guideline, and of course, depending on the service, I have tipped well above and beyond the recommended amount..I have never been dissapointed on any of my previous 8 cruises regarding service, and the staff really appreciated the fact that I acknowledged their hard work, by rewarding them handsomely, But I do believe RCI should be consistent, re their tipping policies, so you at least have a base amount to go by......I also agree with previous poster that perks if any are given by RCI and do in no way watsoever, concern the staff.

Never been on RC before, what's a cruise credit?

it's like a "point' in the crown & anchor program....you get 2 points (credits) in a JS...this helps you move through the levels faster....5 credits you are platinum, 10 credits for diamond, etc. the higher your level, the better the extras you get...coupon books, priority embarkation, etc.

Archived