Is Passport Absolutley Necessary?

DEB010

We are on the Carnival Valor's Jan. 9th sailing, taking our (grown) children for holiday present. Our family members all have passports but my son has decided to bring his girlfriend along and she does not have one. I have suggested that she get one but he does not think she has the time. So three questions:

1. our ports of call are Belize, Roatan Island, Grand Cayman and Cozumel - DOES SHE HAVE TO HAVE A PASSPORT?

2. if not, what form of ID is acceptable

3. we're in upstate NY - does anyone know how long it takes, from application to receiving, to get passport?

All information appreciated.

Thanks,

Deb010

We were on a very similar cruise in Sept. - same ports except for Grand Caymen. My daughter and grandaughter were with us and did not have Passports. All that is required for these ports is an official state issued birth certificate and a valid driver's licence. If your son's girlfriend does apply for a passport she sould have enough time - usually takes 4-6 weeks but can be expedited to 2 weeks for a bit more of a fee.

I am no authority for sure. But I believe she will be okay with the raised seal birth certificate and a picture ID like a driver's license or military ID. Now if you fly into the caribbean now you do need a passport but on a cruiseship you can still get away with the birth certificate and picture ID.

My inlaws put a rush on their pass ports and got them back in 3 weeks instead of the normal 6 weeks. This was an extra $40 each I think. Hope this helps.

No you do not have to have a passport for those locations, but we found out that when you go though immigration, security, it goes alot faster because all they do is wave you through when you are holding your passport but when you have a raised birth certificat you have to stop and then they check it out which sometimes takes awhile, not long, but it is still a stop. Also in airports when we left from Sacramento airport all they wanted to do is check our passport, not even our e-ticket. Having a passport is just convenient. Depending on the time of year you can get your passports anywhere from 2-3 weeks. If you are going next summer and you decide to get the passport say in April or May it can take longer.

Marilyn

Just thinking about this question, I recall that on the immigration form (both hard copy Princess mails to you and the personalizer) you are asked for a passport number. Although you can get away with an official birth certificate, a passport is the identification preferred by all the cruise lines.

Save your time, its not required. Directly from Carnivals web site http://carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_travel_document.aspx

United States citizens need at least one of the following

• A passport (valid or expired for less than 10 years)

• An original birth certificate and photo I.D.

• A state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the

Department of Health and Vital Statistics and photo I.D.

• A U.S. Military ID (no dependent IDs)

• Valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-Entry Visa, if applicable

• Aliens eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must have a valid unexpired passport

• Original Naturalization papers

We applied at the Albany County Clerk's office for 2 of our sons' passports and received them within a month. There is also an expedited procedure to obtain a passport - it's more expensive, but there certainly is time for that procedure. I agree with the others - while the birth certificate/photo i.d. combination works, the passport is the best way to go.

While I am a proponent of a passport (much less hassle), it depends on whether this girl plans on doing more traveling in the future. Passports are $85 so that is a consideration. I wouldn't worry about having the time. When we applied for ours, we got all 6 of them (us and our four kids) within 3 weeks and we didn't do an expedited service. This was in early December. Maybe in the spring it gets busier with people planning summer international traveling.

why spend the $? We had NO delays boarding/disembarking Star Princess to Caribbean w/ DL and birth certificate.

I doubt we will travel internationally in next 10 years (young kids), so expense is waste for us now.

Now, when kids are gone, I'll get one.

IMO

Kristin

We are going to Baja on Carnival Paradise in January. This is our 4th cruise and we have passports. This is our friends' first cruise, and they will be taking their driver's license and birth certificates.

On the Carnival site it says

• An original birth certificate and photo I.D. is OK.

But elsewhere, I have read that the birth certificate needs to have a raised seal (i.e. a certified birth certificate) and their birth certicates, although they appear to be the original copies, does not have the raised seal.

Do you think we'll have any problems? A certified birth certificate is $15 plus the fee to get the application notarized so it's not as expensive as a passport. Just want to avoid the cost/hassle if it's not necessary.

thanks,

janet

Pescado,

Birth certificate must be certified with raised seal. Not the one they give you from the hospital. The few dollars it will cost you is much less than the cost of being denied boarding (you will lose the entire cost of your cruise) for not having the proper documentation.

Hope this helps.

mcboo

There is new technology with some birth certificates so a raised seal is not required anymore. You may have one, you may not depending on when you received it and what state your are from. Some states issue as birth certificates a card about the size of a credit card. The important thing is that it is official birth certificate and not a hospital certificate.

Don

Archived