Zuiderdam 9th - 19th

GCurry

Just back folks, what a wonderful cruise!!

First off a big Texas Howdy and many memories for our Cruise Critic Group with Cruisinetta and all them others.

The ship was fine, well maintained and very clean as only the Indonesians can do it. Cabin (veranda 5120) was well done and my dear wife loved the bath tub instead of the stick to your butt shower enclosure. The shower curtains need to be lighter as it's dark as a closet in there with them drawn. But big whoop, what a thing to complain about.

Like all of Carnival Corp.'s lines it seems the quality and selection of foods has declined from our last HAL cruise in 2001. When the chef recommends Meat Loaf you know there is a problem!!

We did go to the Pinnacle Grill for dinner and one special lunch on the Panama day, it was good but not great. Surprisingly enough the best specialty restaurant we've yet found was on the Carnival Spirit.

We didn't do the entertainment, but opted to dance the night away with Matiz in the Ocean Bar every evening. They were a combo out of Mexico City with a woman singer. They were very good at playing Ballroom Standards and Brazilian Jazz. Matiz played from 7 to 12 every evening.

Please go to Richard of Panama's lectures, they are great!!

Our CC group was very active with a banner wave at 3, a sail away get-together in the Crow's Nest, a Mix and Mingle with drinks provided by the ship with the cruise director and Richard of Panama in attendence. Cruisinetta had her crew for the ship building contest, and several played trivia.

The ports were excellent, Half Moon Cay of course a beach day, don't bother snorkeling in their snorkle area it's not worth the effort, but that doesn't take away from a good day at the beach with what they called BBQ. It's always a fun place.

Aruba - We rented a car (Amigo) that picked us up at the terminal and we drove the island from the Calif. Lighthouse to Baby Beach on the far end.

We did encounter a couple of wild jackasses, who were also driving, but did see one wild donkey on the East end. The road signs leave a lot to be desired, so we didn't see as much of the far side as we wanted. But we had a good time with lunch in a crude little Venezuelan restaurant, with garlic shrimp and local beer. The Flying Fish bone was recommended, but was not open in the afternoon. We did walk the beach a little and picked up some coral. Our last stop before turning in the car was the Aruba Aloe Factory, where we bought some Xmas presents and a little for MSGCurry.

Curacao - Another rental, this time from Avis, who said they had a Kiosk at the Terminal. Regrettably it wasn't where the Zuiderdam docks but at the Mega Pier and the Noordam. There is a hot and humid 15 min. walk between the two. But once we convinced the port people that Zuiderdam cruisers needed in the Noordam terminal, we got the car and away we went.

For whatever reason I thought that Aruba was the center of civilization in the ABC Islands, and having seen primitive little Bonaire I thought Curacao would be more of the same. I couldn't have been more wrong, that Island is rocking!! There is a freeway on that island and a high flyover bridge you'll see where the limit is 80 K per hour and that's what you had better be doing or risk getting run over. Everything else is at a much slower pace as it's pretty congested. But my there are a lot of people on Curacao.

I had run across a site called Shore Diving The ABC Islands, that led us to the far East end to the Tug Boat. Wow I had loved Bonaire for it's clear water and Curacao was more of the same. We were early and there were two container ships docked there so I started swimming while MS got some rays. The ship moorings had coral growing on them and lots of fish but I was looking for the tug. How do I find it?? Then I saw the underwater arrows saying this way dummy. They led me to an underwater photography exhibit, no kidding, pictures on racks moored to the bottom. They must have gotten a US Federal aid to the arts grant to do something this bizarre. However, beyond the pictures was the tug.

It's on the bottom in only 10 feet of water so it's an easy thing to see with tons of fish swimming with you and crystal clear water.

After that wonderful swim, we explored the remains of Ft. Beekenburg in that same area.

http://www.curacao.com/TheCuracaoDifference/UniqueArchitecture/Forts.aspx

There was no entrance fee, and the grounds were over grown.

Our next stop was Mambo Beach still on the East side. Sea Aquarium Beach, Mambo Beach and what was Kon Tike are all together with one parking area. These were very European with a lot of them vacationing here. MS caught more rays while I snorkeled out past the breakwater for one last look at the fishes. On the out side I encounters some squid and a purple pipe fish I'd never seen before, it was a fitting end to my water sports. We also enjoyed some great sandwiches and local beer at the Mambo Beach restaurant. We shopped a local Best Buy food store to resupply and picked up some Blue Curacao before dropping off our gear at the Zuiderdam and turning in our car at the Mega Pier. The walk back included the swinging bridge a very interesting thing to see.

This was the best sail-away as the Zuiderdam was backing out and sounding it's horn, and the Noordam was responding in kind with everyone along their waterfront waving as the two Leviathans exchanged greetings.

Panama - everyone gathered outside on the bow at various places to see us enter the locks. Naturally we got a tropical shower for our trouble which quickly passed but left the humidity at the highest possible levels.

We didn't excursion here where they used the ship's tenders, but elected instead to study the locks coming and going and walking off the ship in Christobal to shop in the port facility. This worked well as I enjoyed the local beer and watching the Indians dancing while MS shopped.

Richard of Panama does a really excellent talk of Panama and raising coffee here.

Costa Rica - The best for last - we booked with Oky Doky Tours, Charlie Soto, we got Ray and Staten, two guides for two couples. We stopped at a roadside fruit stand and sampled the local and very different products, visited the Delmonte banana plantation to see the growing and processing, then on to the Tortuguero Canals and a boat ride. The place had sloths all over with howler monkeys, exotic lizards and birds, many we know from the Texas Coast. Next was an animal rescue for close ups with a mom and baby sloth monkeys and a lot of parrots and one of the most colorful Toucans ever. The female owner macheted open fresh coconuts for drink and a snack. We wrapped it up with an excellent meal at a beach restaurant with fish, rice and beans cooked in coconut milk with some very good sauces and local beer. They finished by taking us to the MasXMinos Supermercado to buy coffee and other items before getting back on the ship. All this was for $60 per person more then worth it as we saw the ship tour people being herded from place to place. We also me Danilo Hall another operator I had contacted for white water rafting there but never found another couple that adventurous. He would also give you a great tour, as would Oscar Brown.

Enough is enough, two sea days back to Lauderdale during which we did meet the famous Hunky Dory in the Lido.

One caution, when we returned there were three HAL ships a Princess and the QM2 in port, so the airport took a great deal of time and was over crowded, just be aware and leave plenty of time for your flight.

Happy Cruising and a Merry Christmas to all Y'all!!

We are going on the Z in Feb--a few questions-if you dont mind-

did you have any problem getting reservations for the specialty restaurant?

It appears you recommend staying on the ship for the Panama Canal day-it is unclear what the tours are and how they work-as i would not want to miss the Locks

Did you notice the wine pouring program --how much was it and how many choices of wine did they offer--I heard it was about 75 dollars for 20 glasses-do you think it was worth it if you used it..

From a different thread did they ahve trays in the buffet--and ample towels supply by the pool

Happy Holidays

It appears you recommend staying on the ship for the Panama Canal day-it is unclear what the tours are and how they work-as i would not want to miss the Locks

Did you notice the wine pouring program --how much was it and how many choices of wine did they offer--I heard it was about 75 dollars for 20 glasses-do you think it was worth it if you used it..

From a different thread did they ahve trays in the buffet--and ample towels supply by the pool

Happy Holidays

Yes, they did have trays in the Lido and plenty of towels at poolside.

We are going on the Z in Feb--a few questions-if you don't mind-

No problem at all and the cost is $20 not $25, the lunch in Panama was $7.50. Whether you get that value or not I'll let you decide.

Quite frankly, I didn't recommend anything, as we don't usually book excursions on the ship and those were the only ones offered, so we didn't do it. Richard of Panama recommends the Eco Tour and the Indians as the best value.

You get the locks coming in and going out was only somewhat different; it's unimpressive until you recognize all that went into it and you see how functional it really is, it makes you proud to be an American, we made it happen!!

If you really like and can distinguish good wines, it is probably a good value. You can bring a large amount on board. We carried on 5 bottles of Champaign in a rolling ice chest and replenished along the way with no questions.

Happy Holidays

Thanks WillieBill, in spite of my water adventures I don't do pools, so I couldn't possible know.

Hunky Dory hands out the trays so take the time to meet him and enjoy the Lido.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, I appreciate it! We'll be on the April 8 sailing -- could you tell me which nights were the formal nights? Thanks!

Gee, love formal nights, first was first sea day after Half Moon, second was the sea day after Curacao, third was 1st of two sea days on the way back. Ask your room steward, they'll do a bag of laundry for $12 as I took two tux shirts and got one laundered along with other stuff.

We just had another formal evening at one of our dance clubs as I speak!!

Gee, love formal nights, first was first sea day after Half Moon, second was the sea day after Curacao, third was 1st of two sea days on the way back. Ask your room steward, they'll do a bag of laundry for $12 as I took two tux shirts and got one laundered along with other stuff.

We just had another formal evening at one of our dance clubs as I speak!!

Thank you! Good to know too that the laundry bag is $12 on the Zuiderdam. That's what we paid on the Rotterdam this past May but I'd been hearing reports of much higher laundry bag prices on other ships, so you answered 2 of my questions. :D

Happy Holidays

I purchased a 10 punch wine card online, which was delivered to our room after we sailed away...otherwise local taxes apply. You can buy them at the Atrium Bar, across from the front office. You have a choice of Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, a blush wine, Merlot and a Cabernet. You can check it out on HAL's website, and register for online gift bookings.

Depends on how much you like wine and other options for beverages as to if you should do 10 glasses ($44+) or 20 glasses($77+). And if you bring your own wine onboard, you may opt for fewer glasses-depending upon how often you eat in the Vista Dining Room. We always found wine glasses in the desk corner cabinet. Expect to pay a $15 corkage fee for bottles taken to the dining room. I think a glass of these house wines are $5.75/glass then add 15% for gratuity.

You may use your wine card in the Pinnacle Grill, or, if you like to experiment, you can choose a flight of reds or whites. The reds I did were 4 smaller pourings, of (1) pinot noir, (2) merlot and (1) cabernet. I did duck, lamb and the molten volcano cake with the flight of reds from Washington State. That card sells for about $14 online (15% gratuity included), and $15.50 plus gratuity at the PG.

They never looked crowded, and I thought you could almost walk in, but it will depend on how many passengers will be on board. If you pay ahead as a gift, the price has been $20, but there is chatter on the boards that it is going up to $25/pp. Our reservations were for 7:30 and we walked out of the PG at 9:50.

On canal day, we did do the rest of the locks. Check out the Ports of Call section on the Panama Canal, the thread started by Melissa B., Managing Editor on CC, where I wrote about that excursion.

We were on the same wonderful cruise and had a marvelous time! It was great to meet so many new friends from this forum and our very own Cruisinetta tied for first place with her excellent ship in the ship building contest. Plus, Carole also from this forum was Mrs. Zuiderdam and another member Peggy won the contest for finding out who was selected as the mystery woman! Congratulations!

There were plenty of towels available, cold cloths and lemonade upon returning to the ship from port calls, Hunky Dory smiling, calling people by name (yes, he remembered us from last year's cruise) excellent excursions (Off road adventure in Costa Rica is the best-bought as a HAL excursion), the Half Moon Cay experience was everything we wished for, and the Canal is an amazing work of technology.

We are now home with 2 feet of snow and planning our next HAL cruise.

I hope MSCurry is feeling better!

Thanks Bill, she's coping with the cold or tonsillitis, which ever it is.

Hope you had a great Birthday, and hope to cruise with you again.

There were plenty of towels available, cold cloths and lemonade upon returning to the ship from port calls, Hunky Dory smiling, calling people by name (yes, he remembered us from last year's cruise) excellent excursions (Off road adventure in Costa Rica is the best-bought as a HAL excursion), the Half Moon Cay experience was everything we wished for, and the Canal is an amazing work of technology.

We took towels at about every port call, and welcomed the chilled ones coming back aboard, I recall Curacao as being especially hot along the water.

It was good meeting you and your husband and son. We came back to 80 degrees here on the TX Coast, but today it's 35.

We were on the same wonderful cruise and had a marvelous time! It was great to meet so many new friends from this forum and our very own Cruisinetta tied for first place with her excellent ship in the ship building contest. Plus, Carole also from this forum was Mrs. Zuiderdam and another member Peggy won the contest for finding out who was selected as the mystery woman! Congratulations!

OFF2, we still have the Rollcall going.

I enjoyed your review. From the sound of your reports about arranging shore ex on your own, I think DH and I might try it next cruise. He doesn't like being herded. I think he would enjoy the personal touch a lot better.

This is the first time in several cruises that we weren't with friends either local or CCers that we had cruised with before. We've found that the rental cars are great if you do your homework in places like Alaska, Hawaii and islands like Aruba, & Curacao with pretty low crime and they drive on the right side.

Others like Cozumel or Costa Rica etc. a local guide and driver are really the best value for information and safety. We had another CC couple join us in Costa Rica. We were in a small boat (20 ft) and could drift right up to the wildlife while the ships tour was loaded on 40 passenger barges.

In this particular case with the extra stops we made, sampling fruit, animal rescue center, great beach restaurant & beer on the van, we probably got twice the tour at less then 2/3 the cost.

We do read the port threads and find reliable guides and good information.

As far as getting you back to the ship on time, their livelihood depends on it!!

I've done my share of booking on the ship, the fact is, I just don't herd well anymore.

Thanks for the great review! DH and I are taking this cruise in Nov. 2009 and already looking forward to it. We sailed on the Zuiderdam several years ago and loved it. Costa Rica and Panama will be new to us, otherwise we have been to the other ports.

We sailed on a 10-day Noordam cruise a few weeks ago and did not find any degradation in HAL food or anything else -- it was fabulous all the way around.

Thanks so much for posting this! You've answered many questions I had and have gotten me all excited for our departure on Monday!:D

It was my pleasure to share a wonderful adventure with an excellent ship & crew.

Even on our cruise the ship was beautifully done for Xmas; I hope that the decorations will still be up for yours.

Whatever you do have a great time, and dance at least one for us for New Years on the Zuiderrrrdam!!

Thanks so much for posting this! You've answered many questions I had and have gotten me all excited for our departure on Monday!:D

Hope you have lovely weather, and do expect a few tropical rain showers. They were beautiful at the Tayutic Valley, where we did the Hacienda Tour...If you are a member, please drop by our rollcall where I have posted a link to our pictures....and our Cruise Critic Meet and Greet-The Cruise of the PanCanDamers. We did the 1st CC wave, and it was captured by InletCam.com a CC member. You should also see the picture of the Zuiderdam he took as we were "Sailing Away" in the Crow's Nest. Just a few notes, if you like sunsets, don't wait, that Sun drops like a rock...very quickly!

Have a wonderful Honeymoon!

I was also on the Zuiderdam cruise (Dec. 9-19) and had the best time. I travel alone, but had a great time meeting so many friendly people, as I usually do on all the cruises. That was my 8th HAL cruise, and my 2nd Zuiderdam cruise. I am considering going back again on that route next Dec. The beds are excellent. I slept well each night. I learned a lot on this cruise: (1) There are built in charges; i.e., I paid $15 for the Wine Tasting Session, but HAL added an extra $2.25 surcharge. As a single, I usually ask for a table for 6 at 8:00, but could only get a table for 8:30 one night and another night a table for 8 people. It is not easy to talk with so many people at one table, so I started eating in the Lido, which I did for about 4 or 5 nights. What a treat! The waiters were so friendly, plus I could hear conversations better. In fact, I sat behind two of the passengers on this board. I plan to eat more of my meals in the Lido on future cruises, thus cutting down on the amount of changes of clothing, which should help to stay below the 50 lb plane limit. Plus, I am in and out of the Lido within 30 minutes which allows me to see shows, rather than to wait for other tablemates to finish their meals.

Archived