Message Board Etiquette? Your Opinion ....

sail7seas

Hope you all enjoyed your Christmas activities.

Here is another one of my pet peeves, people who find it necessary to highlight and post someone's entire message when they post their answer. What's with that?

Often, several posts may be between what someone is responding to and their post. If you wrote this post five up from when I choose to answer and I don't quote it, my answer might make no sense if five people in between talked about something totally different.

I often will edit a section out of a lengthy post I am responding to rather than reprint the whole long post.

If all I wish to respond to is three sentences, why quote a huge long post again........ just edit out the few lines that apply.

Thanks. That is what I thought, also. :)

In the days when many people had dial up, I think it was more of an issue and made for very slow loading of pages.

I know some folks are still on dial up, and agree it is a nuisance when they have to wait for all of it to load.

And when on the ships, the internet can be so slow it is excrutiating.

• Administrators
Hope you all enjoyed your Christmas activities.

Here is another one of my pet peeves, people who find it necessary to highlight and post someone's entire message when they post their answer. What's with that?

Not that I just did that to you, or anything (:D) but -- intervening posts can make it very unclear to which post someone is replying if all they say is "It's at the Ocean bar," or "he's in the Neptune Lounge," and so on. Just some examples of why someone might quote a previous post. I use the quote feature here and do try to be conscious of how long it might make my post -- frequently I cut what I'm quoting and insert "<snip>" if I've deleted portions of a longer post. But since you asked "What's with that?" I'd say that most people do it for clarity -- some do it because they don't know how to avoid doing it -- and some don't do it at all and leave the rest of us feeling :confused:.

I was interested to read the posts on this thread about this HAL board being perceived as "too social" and maybe cliqueish. I didn't find that at all when we booked an HAL cruise last January and I came here for information and advice. I think this is a nice community of folks who have great things to share. On the other hand, I always try to post both questions and answers respectfully -- perhaps treating others the way I like to be treated plays a role? :)

I often will edit a section out of a lengthy post I am responding to rather than reprint the whole long post.

And if you're responding to two parts of a post and want to edit out a large section in the middle, [sNIP] is the way to do it. I learned that from my days on skydiving message boards. Some skydivers have a hard time reading ... the last thing they want is for you to quote the whole post. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Bethesda got me exactly right. It makes sense to copy a line or 2, but when it is inches, regardless of what kind of service or how fast a computer you have, it seems annoying to me. I have FIOS, which is one of the fastest you can have at home, and also a fairly fast laptop, but I find it annoying to have to scroll down through it.

Now, I always thought I posted quite a lot, but then I look at my 500 some odd, and see that others are at 24,000, and I feel like the junior poster.

And if you're responding to two parts of a post and want to edit out a large section in the middle, [sNIP] is the way to do it.

That's certainly one way to do it.

I learned that from my days on skydiving message boards. Some skydivers have a hard time reading ... the last thing they want is for you to quote the whole post.

The other way would be to separate out the parts you want to respond to and then post your replies under each section. :)

The other way would be to separate out the parts you want to respond to and then post your replies under each section. :)
And that's the way I do it when there are multiple sections I wish to respond to. If it's only like two ... I snip ... because the other way is just too much trouble and I always forget one of the HTML tags, lousing up the whole works. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

One of these days I will learn how how to do that "Multiple Post Quote" thing.

I have a problem with that too:o.

OK, class. Let's review how to do "multiple quotes".

At the bottom right of each post there are three icons; the middle one is a quote symbol ("). Click on that. Click on the same symbol in the next post you want in the multiple quotes reply.

(There is a limit to the number of multiples you can have, but I don't know the number.)

When you have clicked on your final multiple quote icon, click on the word "quote" icon (to the left of the quote marks) in that last post. This will bring up your reply box; it will already contain the requested quotes.

Edit as normal, answer, submit.

Any questions, class? :D

Now, I always thought I posted quite a lot, but then I look at my 500 some odd, and see that others are at 24,000, and I feel like the junior poster.

There are several ways one piles up high post counts.

1. Read the board, and post to it, every day, at least 2 or 3 times a day. If you keep current with the board it doesn't take that long. Read the board in the morning, at lunch, and in the evening, and make a minimum of 5 posts a day. (5x365=1825 posts a year. That's a higher posting-average than I have: I've been a member of CC for 7 years and only have 11,611 posts ... an average of 1658.71 posts a year.)
  2. Read and post on hot-topic threads that draw many posters and many opinions and lots of back-and-forth post exchanges. (i.e., Dress Code, smoking, tipping, booze smuggling, luggage, trays, chair hogging, message board etiquette ;) ) The up-side is that you'll post a huge number of posts and spend a lot of time on those threads; the downside is that you'll be taking a "side" on these topics, making enemies (some people can't stand those with whom they have disagreements), and could put yourself into real-world jeopardy if you make an enemy of someone who is viciously vindictive, can't let whatever "it" is go, and decides to attack you in the real-world.
  3. Be active on pre-cruise Roll Call Threads. Plan activities on these threads; discuss shore excursions; discuss pre/post-cruise travel and hotel arrangements; get to know each other.
  4. Post "Live From" threads from the ships and, thereby, share your cruise with others. Being a giving soul, this will make you popular, meaning that people will chat with you, want to meet and get to know you. :D
  5. After your cruises, post a Review and/or links to photo galleries to the board. This extra step, contributing to the board, will not only involve your initial posts, but also responses to remarks/questions/etc. from people who read your reviews and view your pictures.
  6. Engage in non-hot-topic but fun and high-post-activity threads dealing with fun and personality revealing issues.
  7. Freely and helpfully answer a wide range of inquires from people who have questions about cruising in general, specific ships, specific aspects about those ships, cabin locations, etc. ad nauseam. Remember that just because a question has been answered doesn't mean that you can't offer your own opinion/thoughts on the subject, or alternative POVs. If it's not a black/white - true/false issue, multiple opinions are always helpful ... and, even if it is a cut-and-dried factual issue, it sometimes helps to have multiple responses confirming the details of others, or filling in anything that might have been missed by another's response.
  8. Above all, don't be afraid to have fun. For me, CC is the best way to fill in the time between cruises chatting with others who are as addicted to the cruising vacation as I am. I have some local friends and a few church members who understand my love of cruising (and one who now posts on this board! :D), but for the most part the people I know in my real-world life just don't understand my love of cruising. But people on this board do, and together we can help each other through the land-portion of our lives by talking about cruising. If we can't be aboard ship, we can at least talk about it!

I know -- I am such a novice -- especially when it comes to computers.
Working on this.

At the bottom right of each post there are three icons; the middle one is a quote symbol ("). Click on that. Click on the same symbol in the next post you want in the multiple quotes reply.

(There is a limit to the number of multiples you can have, but I don't know the number.)

When you have clicked on your final multiple quote icon, click on the word "quote" icon (to the left of the quote marks) in that last post. This will bring up your reply box; it will already contain the requested quotes.

Any questions, class? :D Teaacher -- I think I just passed this course!!

Thank you very much Ruth!!!

I have a problem with that too:o.

Neat!!!

Thank you, Ruth. I never knew how to do this....didn't even know I wanted to know how. :D Cool!

Working on this.

Thank you very much Ruth!!!

Glad you asked, KK. Learned something new today. ;)

Neat!!!

Thank you, Ruth. I never knew how to do this....didn't even know I wanted to know how. :D Cool!

Glad you asked, KK. Learned something new today. ;)

Greg -- I love your 8 rules for posting!!

Looks like I've passed too...although this post is going to look totally stupid because I was clicking on anything. Just ignore this please.

Thanks for the lesson Ruth. I appreciate it!

. I have some local friends and a few church members who understand my love of cruising (and one who now posts on this board! :D), but for the most part the people I know in my real-world life just don't understand my love of cruising. But people on this board do, and together we can help each other through the land-portion of our lives by talking about cruising. If we can't be aboard ship, we can at least talk about it!

I think people I work with think that I take way to many cruises and they can't understand it. I only take 2 a year:D. It's one thing I really enjoy and it's great to be around like minded people on this board.

Archived