Bermuda in the fall...convince me!!

Danno

Don [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]...see my topic "HELP...Duck!!!"

Dan

Century X1,Galaxy X2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith Oct/04
Century Feb/05

Danno, your best bet is to reserve a limo (or a "car service" as it's known in these parts). They will meet you at baggage, help you with the bags, and you won't have to wait in line for a cab.

The cost is about $45 - $75 depending on the car service you use.

Anyway, all this chatter about cruising to Bermuda in the fall has got me thinking. . .my 40th birthday is 9/26/04, and wouldn't you know there's a ship leaving NY harbor on the 25th? How convenient! Now I've got to get to work on convincing the other half. . .although considering it's my birthday, it should be easy, right? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Ed

This may be heresy considering this is a cruise board. Why would you take a cruise to Bermuda? It's an easy 1 1/2 hr flight from the east coast, lots of great hotels, easy touring around the islands (via bus or moped), friendly and courteous natives. A cruise may give you activities and days at sea, but if your goal is to see Bermuda, it may not be the best way to go. I priced both when we went to Bermuda several yrs ago, and airfare, 4-star hotel, breakfast and dinner, was less than the cruise fare.

M/R

Mystery...have you cruised yet?? Have have done all types of holidays and this is just, well, different. If you have cruised I'm confused as to why this is a "mystery" to you...

No matter what, welcome aboard CC, glad to have you here.

Dan

Zenith Oct/04
Century Feb/05

Mystery, have you priced hotels and food in Bermuda? It's outrageously expensive. Getting there may be easy, but staying at a nice resort and eating at decent restaurants would cost way more than a cruise.

Sailing out of Manhattan is an unforgettable experience. Flying out of Manhattan is also unforgettable, but not in a good way.

Duck,

I forgot you got quacked during the blackout!!!!

You know, one thing we forgot to ask Danno and that's will he and the Misssu be doing their own air!

Anita

And now Infinity 2005!

Millennium 2003

Century 2002

Summit 2001

Century 2000

Zenith 1996

Horizon 1994

Horizon 1993

Sunward 1992

Star Princess 1990

Maxim Gorky 1974 & 1975

I may have to do my own air to fly out of here...it's an Air Canada thing. If I book my own air, from here to toronto adds $40 to my price. If the cruise line books it, it adds $360 to my price...and you wonder why airlines are in such bad shape icon_eek.gif!!

It is not my habit to book my own...but I may have to. My TA will sort it all out and let me know what I should do.

Dan

Zenith Oct/04

Century Feb/05

Hi there my friend, I have to agree with the other posters here about hurricane season. Just be aware of what happened to my cousin last September when he was taking his first cruise and it was to Bermuda. Hurricane hit Bermuda, they were sent north, Bar Harbor, Maine; Canada, not exactly warm weather. They weren't told where they were going until they reached the pier in Boston. None of the passengers were packed for cold weather.

Needless to say, my cousin took probably his first and last cruise icon_frown.gif, wasn't happy. Just be aware that this COULD happen to you as well.

Hi Doone icon_smile.gif...while I would be disappointed I haven't been to those places either, so what happens, happens.

I could have 7 days on a ship, a pile of books, great table mates, good food...and if we never left the pier it would still be a good holiday!!

Dan

Zenith Oct/04

Century Feb/05

I can not imagine that happening again. We were the second sailing back to Bermuda last year and it was a mess...That is the chance you take during hurricane season... icon_biggrin.gif

Just to be sailing somewhere is a good thing... icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ecowen:

Mystery, have you priced hotels and food in Bermuda? It's outrageously expensive. Getting there may be easy, but staying at a nice resort and eating at decent restaurants would cost way more than a cruise.

Sailing out of Manhattan is an unforgettable experience. Flying out of Manhattan is also unforgettable, but not in a good way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I said in my original post, we vacationed in Bermuda several yrs ago. We got a pkg: airfare, hotel (on the south beach--rm overlooking the beach and ocean), and breakfast and dinner each day. It was *less* than the prices quoted us for a cruise. I guess the trick is finding a good TA who's willing to check all the options.

I have flown out of NY airports--JFK, LGA, and Newark--but we usually fly out of PHL. Flying out of PHL is no biggie; the thrill is flying in when you often take a big circular swoop over Camden, NJ. A not to be missed experience! ;-)

No, I've never cruised before. (I'm not counting the 12-hr trip to and from Nova Scotia from Portland, ME.) We're booked on an Alaska cruise in mid-Aug. I understand the cruise experience is more than just where you're going, it's also the getting there. Personally, I think Bermuda is so fantastic that I want as much Bermuda time as I can get. When you've got ltd time (i.e., working full-time really interferes with vacations), I would prefer to maximize the main event. The Alaska cruise, on the other hand, has scenery, etc., that can only be observed from the ocean so a cruise is the only way to go.

M/R

Hi Danno,

The Zenith is my favorite ship. DH and I took her the third week in September, 2000. We were picked up by bus near Phila. airport and taken directly to the pier in NYC. Within 5 minutes of boarding the bus an older woman was verbally abusing the bus driver about not having a bathroom on board. DH leaned over to me and said "what kind of a cruise did you book us?" BUT once onboard we met the best people...our tablemates became our onboard best friends (we still email). One couple was in their mid 30's, Bill and I in our late forties, and another couple in their late 60's. We just hit it off. The ship is beautiful and the staff excellent. Last Sept we went again and we were sandwiched in between hurricane Fabian (which beat the heck out of Burmuda) and Isabel. Believe it or not, the crossing was fine! Beautiful weather. Once in Bermuda, the Bermudians were thrilled to see us because the Zenith and Horizon were diverted the previous week to Canada/Nova Scotia because of Fabian.

We went in Aug, 2001 with our 3 grown daughters (21, 21, 22) they had a blast. Made friends with the staff who let them in on the best night spots. It was a completely different place in August, lots of people and parties. I like September better. My favorite is St. Georges - very quaint. We walked everywhere in St. Georges. My favorite beach is Fort St. Catherine. Last year we took a catamaran excursion in Hamilton (through Celebrity) which was the most relaxing trip! They were making us homemade cookies when we boarded. What a great day. September will be subdued, a relaxing vacation I think, but I like it quiet some times.

icon_smile.gifBarb..thanks for that wonderful review!...I will be on the Horizon and your information about Bermuda and the time of year was fantastic!

We have a small but fun Roll Call going on now...hopefully others will join as we go into summericon_smile.gif.

Thanks again...cannot wait to see Bermuda!

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

LoisR,

You're welcome! I hear wonderful things about the Horizon also. I'm sure they are very similar. Beautiful, classic ships.

We are going on the Carnival Miracle in 45 days.......(not that I'm counting) I'm very excited about that too!

Hopefully we will be going to Bermuda in September again this year (Horizon or Zenith). We have to wait and see if our work schedules allow it. We never take 2 cruise a year but, one daughter has GRADUATED COLLEGE (2 to go) and we may celebrate! If we plan on 9/18 we'll join the roll call.

Barb

We are on the Sept 11th sailing of Zenith and can't wait. To be in NYC on that day will be very special and sailing past lower Manhattan will be a very emotional thing. It’s been fun reading this; it makes me ready to go now!

July 1972 QE2 (I was but a child)

March 2001 Celebrity Century

March 2002 Celebrity Infinity

February 2003 Celebrity Millennium

July 2003 RSSC Diamond

January 2004 Celebrity Constellation

September 2004 Celebrity Zenith

February 2005 Celebrity Summit

Steve...when you get to Canada just ask for me, everyone knows me here icon_biggrin.gif.

As I sit here at work today (this is what happens when you own a business) I seem to have made this cruise official by putting a picture of Zenith on my computer desktop.

I also realized that this will make our Feb cruise with our son our first as Elite CC members, as well as "Founders". We have taken 9 cruises by then and the suite counts as two, (never did get my CC fees back though) we'll see if this really amounts to much. I must admit that waiting to disembark in the dining room was very pleasant on Horizon this past winter (suite and/or elite perk).

Have a nice day all. Don't forget to check in on those of us who are working today.

Dan

Zenith Oct/04

Century Feb/05

Archived