LIVE LIVE LIVE from the MARINER with MERION MOM for 53 DAYS!!!

Merion_Mom

Thanks ... do you know if they are heated pools?

Sorry, didn't mean to switch us to Freedom class. The Mariner pools are salt water, I don't know for sure if they are heated...they are warmish around the edges, that might be because of the warm outside temperatures though. We usually just splash our feet. I don't know about the raisin bread either. :)

i dont think the pools are heated on mariner- it has always been hot weather when we sailed on her so the water was fine-

she does have several hot tubs - solarium hot tubs are nice and there is one in the health club- and 2? on deck near the pools -

Trying to read "in between orders" at my night pharmacist's job.

Taking an "extended cruise jaunt" is on my BID (Before I Die) list. Will still need to wait a few years though!

My first RCCL ship was also the Mariner. We were going to go on her out of LA but airfare prices caused us to change to the Liberty for 6/09. We can drive to Miami from Atl, a long one but doable!!

Keep us informed Carol! ALL the Juicy :eek: details!!

Jacquelyn :D

Carol, thorougly enjoying the information you are providing. I'm traveling with a group in April on the Mariner. The group has a couple of questions that I had posted a few days ago. I thought I would post them again:

1. Are the pools fresh or salt water? Are they heated?

2. Do they still serve the wonderful raisin bread in the mornings with breakfast? We believe it is called: Austrian Streizel

Thank you so much.

Mary, I thought you'd want to know that Alexis posted the receipe for the Austrian Streizel on the "Pear Soup" thread. :D http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=900066

About 3 years ago, from Brazil to Chile on the Explorer, I believe. She's in her 70's, NO internet use and SHE knew about the Brazilian Visa. But she has also traveled to Europe/Australia/China with Globus tours so she is familiar with obtaining visas.

She really enjoyed the Straits and the penguins she saw, but the seas were a bit too rough for her cabin mate! She chewed a Bonnine every day (just like her pharmacist's daughter told her!) and for the most part did just fine!

Can't wait to one day make this trip for myself!

Jacquelyn :D

Good morning MM and to all... It's time I start to post since I've been reading this for days now. :eek: I also am looking forward to the photos of your "cabin"!!! :D Enjoy your day and dinner. This has been fun reading, now off to work. :rolleyes:

Laura, do you know someone who tried to book with Bernard for tomorrow, only to be told that he was already taken?

That's our group, and we are really looking forward to the day with Bernard!

:)

I don't know about that. I had just asked him if he had a group from the Mariner for today and he did.

We keep in touch after our Jan 07 tour. He is a wonderful man. Enjoy your beers and rum punch.

Laura

Executive Vice President Brian Rice (BRice@rccl.com) is the person to write to...........as he runs the revenue department..........and when my D+ gal put me on hold, she called his department for clarification.

If enough complain........maybe we all can get it turned back around.

I'm just the messenger here!!

Rick

That has never been a reason not to shoot before!:D

jc<---- thinks it will all work out ok, or at least understandably (is that a word?);)

Speaking of internet etc.

Have you heard if anyone is having or using a Mac with out any problems?

George

If you can connect to a wifi network at a hotel or Starbucks or McDonalds you will be able to connect to the ships network with a mac or pc.

I am originally a mac guy, but where I work I have to use a pc, so my laptop is a pc currently.

jc

It was another great day at sea.

First, I slept late. (after being up so late getting the room keys straightened out, and posting to you guys ;))

Then we ate a little, and went to Day 2 of the Cruise Director's Trivia Bowl.

We're not in first place, but we're not *too* far down the list.

Then we entered the slots tournament. There were only 12 contestants, and most of them were in our group.

Denice (cruzzingranny) won, and the prize was $240!!!!!! :D

Then I tried, with Len's help, to get my laptop to work, but it was to no avail. Darryl is going to help me tomorrow. Wish me luck. I really want to upload pictures. If we can't get mine to work, I'll have to borrow someone else's, and that becomes a big hassle. (I don't like to impose on anyone else)

Dinner was very good again, with many new dishes. Some big hits at our table: vegetable samosas, shrimp ceviche, cappuccino layer cake, guava napoleon.

After dinner, I went to Simeon's singalong, *just* missing Name That Tune. Drat.

I had a few "solos" - apparently, I was the only one who knew the words to several of the songs that Simeon was playing and singing, and I have no qualms about singing out LOUD.

The internet has been EXCRUCIATINGLY slow tonight.

I'm off to bed, because we meet at 8:30 to leave the ship together to meet Bernard.

See you tomorrow!

:)

Hi MM!!

I love Simeon!! He was DEFINITELY a highlight of our Mariner cruise in May last year. Is Katie the Bingo Lady there as well? Our CD at the time was Drew Devine and was incredible too.

Thanks for this thread - LOVE IT!!!

Stephie :)

It's more expensive because it's a popular ship, a popular itinerary, a good time of year, and the cruise line is obviously not having any trouble filling the ship. It's all about supply and demand. That's what always determines the price.

I definitely like the Radiance class best....but it was so hot on the Indy transatlantic in NOVEMBER that you didn't need the solarium. I, personally, prefer a more southerly route also. I do intend to keep watching the price. Certainly no incentive to book early or onboard any more:rolleyes:.

I wouldn't exactly say that. At times even if you can connect actual internet speed goes from ok to gosh awful.:D

jc

I think the problem in the past was mac users couldn't connect at all.

depending on the version of Wi-Fi they support

If you can connect to a wifi network at a hotel or Starbucks or McDonalds you will be able to connect to the ships network with a mac or pc.

I am originally a mac guy, but where I work I have to use a pc, so my laptop is a pc currently.

jc

I had no problems in connecting to the internet with my Mac on the Freedom. However, I left my Mac at home when onboard the Mariner. Just keep an eye on the minutes as it can be expensive. Downloading your e-mail, then signing off will save you money.

This day started off much more auspiciously than New Year's Day. Although Penn State had been thoroughly clobbered by USC, Liz managed to get to bed at a reasonable hour, sleep reasonably well, and awaken in time for our excursion.

We were awakened by the phone call that "room service is on its way". About 30 seconds later, there was a knock at the door. Liz was in the shower, so I got to leap up, grab some bills, and answer the door.

All was correct, as ordered.

We left the ship in time to meet in the little market area at the end of the pier and find our Mexican Cuisine Workshop group.

Off we went, traveling on the same bus as the people who had booked the Playa Mia Beach Break, since that's where the cooking class is held.

We were about half of the group - we were joined by a bunch from Carnival ships. (there were three in port with us today)

Luis, Moises and Javier were all there, so we had a big reunion. The appetizer and dessert were the same as before, but the main dish was different.

It was a blast, of course. Both my daughter and I decided NOT to get as far gone as last time, so we were only mildly dizzy and disoriented at the end.

We relaxed on the beach for about half an hour, then visited the parrots (GORGEOUS) near the entrance, and got back on the bus.

Back at the pierside market, we shopped a little, and I purchase two bottles. Liz carried them back on, and they are registered to her at the Booze Check-In, so she should get them back Saturday evening in time to pack into her big suitcase for the trip home.

After returning to the ship, we went to the pool deck for a while. After just a few minutes at the main pool, and watching some babies being put into the pool, we hastened to the Solarium, and sat in the hot tub for a while, participating in that favorite of Cruise Cuisine Experiences: Human Soup.

We had a lovely chat with some other cruisers. Then I got out and went to lie down on a chaise, and had the delightful opportunity to watch a father and his two young sons lying out and playing.

Then we decided that we were hungry, just in time to realize that the Windjammer was now closed until dinner time. We descended to the Café Promenade, only to discover that everyone else on board had ALSO realized that this was now the only place to get food. It was CROWDED. We managed to snag a table, and some food, without too much delay.

The pizza wasn't bad, and the sandwiches hit the spot. We each grabbed a cup of tea and headed back to the stateroom.

After some relaxation, we dressed for dinner and headed to the show - one show only, between seatings - Pure Energy, starring the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers.

It was quite good. Not spectacular, but very enjoyable.

Dinner was VERY good tonight. I had the Fisherman's Plate, and got an extra. The dessert was the sampler, with the RC choc cake, savarin & cheesecake. And Edison brought out coffee ice cream again!

The service has been good/fine, but I find Edison annoyingly obsequious.

The way to earn good service ratings is to provide good service, not to beg for or even demand good ratings on the survey. Just my opinion........

I WAS THERE!

I mean...in Cozumel cruising on Carnival Miracle and woke up with my mom saying "There's a Royal Caribbean ship passing us...." then I jumped from the bed and went to the balcony...I could not see the name but I was almost sure it was Mariner.....but you guys were docked far from us with the other two Carnival ships(Triumph and Glory right?)....well it was nice to see you guys...well at least your ship far away...I wish there were staterooms for this last caribbean/new year cruise on the Mariner but the only ship avaliable was the Miracle:eek:...at least I can say I participated in 0.0001% of this cruise because I was on the same port:D

HAVE AN AWESOME CRUISE!

Speaking of internet etc.

Have you heard if anyone is having or using a Mac with out any problems?

George

Hi. I just got off the Mariner with Merion Mom. The pools are salt water and they are the temp of the water in the ocean. I used a Mac and had no problem using the wifi in the public areas, in fact, it was much faster than using the ship's computers and you can cut and paste from Word so you are not online so much. The ship's speed is painfully slow and it costs around $5 to check your email, that's how slow. Try using Mozilla's new Camino browser. It is similar to Firefox, but much better since it was designed from the ground up for Macs, I've yet to have a compatibility problem.

I definitely like the Radiance class best....but it was so hot on the Indy transatlantic in NOVEMBER that you didn't need the solarium. I, personally, prefer a more southerly route also. I do intend to keep watching the price. Certainly no incentive to book early or onboard any more:rolleyes:.

So true. Once we got past Madiera, it was warm all the way across to SXM and FLL. And the heated water countered any lingering chill or wind.

Did we bump into each other? We always wore matching tees (big guy, little wife) and played trivia with Helga. And we were the middle couple in L & M. We had no intention of going up, but when Allen got no volunteers for the middle couple........

I guess Carol is having too much fun or the internet is too slow to post. So we have our side conversations waiting.

I WAS THERE!

I mean...in Cozumel cruising on Carnival Miracle and woke up with my mom saying "There's a Royal Caribbean ship passing us...." then I jumped from the bed and went to the balcony...I could not see the name but I was almost sure it was Mariner.....but you guys were docked far from us with the other two Carnival ships(Triumph and Glory right?)....well it was nice to see you guys...well at least your ship far away...I wish there were staterooms for this last caribbean/new year cruise on the Mariner but the only ship avaliable was the Miracle:eek:...at least I can say I participated in 0.0001% of this cruise because I was on the same port:D

HAVE AN AWESOME CRUISE!

Yes, that was us. We met up with your ship in the middle of the ocean between 11-and midnight. It was cool to see another ship all lit up in the middle of the black vast ocean. We were docked with the Triumph at the pier about 10 minutes south of town.

Archived