LIVE LIVE LIVE from the MARINER with MERION MOM for 53 DAYS!!!

Merion_Mom

OMG! What an amazing ship! Now I really can't wait until May! Too bad I only get 7 days to explore her.:(

All of you enjoying the 46 (53!) days on board.........I have been reading these threads and I AM SOOOO JEALOUS!!

Take good care of the Mariner and we'll see you here in LA :)

Those pictures are awesome. Thanks so much for sharing them. I'm scheduled for November. It won't be soon enough. Carol, Rick, everyone else who has been posting thanks for sharing all the information, the good times, etc. I've been following this thread daily. Later. Robin

applemac what kind of camera did u say u used to photograph the mariner? I have to get one of those.

The unique thing about those pictures is that they were taken with an ultra wide angle lens. She mentioned Nikon D60, with a Sigma 10-20mm zoom, which with most Digital SLRs equates to a 15-30mm equivalent in 35mm format. Most point and shoot digital cameras don't go anywhere near as wide as that, and it really can make a difference for landscapes, and inside scenes such as those that were shared.

Theron

Most internet photo websites will show the details on the photos taken, including camera used, lens setting, flash or no flash, metering pattern, etc.

So all these photos were taken with the Nikon D60 digital SLR with a lens setting of 15mm (35mm scale equiv.). Digital SLRs use a larger imaging chip then the smaller point and shoots so they capture more detail then the p & s cameras. And the ultrawide allows these spectacular compositions. And APLMAC is an accomplished photographer who knows how to use these advanced tools to generate really great shots. Many of these uw shots have a large object in the foreground which improves the look of the picture. And the color balancing on the interior shots is perfect.

When the ships sell photopacks of the ship itself, they usually use a 20mm or less lens to generate those.

Hey Rick, you must be counting the days.

I will be so interested to hear how many Brazilians boarded in Salvador. If there are a lot...............the next leg of the cruise could prove very interesting.

I am enjoying this thread immensely. Not sure if they are allowing boarding in Salvador but if they did then Patti you've said a mouthful.:eek:

applemac what kind of camera did u say u used to photograph the mariner? I have to get one of those.
It's not just the camera...it's what lens I use on the Camera!

My camera's a Nikon D60 digital Single-Lens-Reflex, which will accept other lenses(interchangeable)

The lens I walked with on Saturday when she was docked here in Barbados

is a Sigma 10-20 mm. wide-angle zoom lens...see pics below.

Check with B&H, in New York City.

They have it. around $550, I think.

Centrum-337.jpg

It takes some 'handling' though, or the distortion can get too crazy.

It's a VERY wide-angle lens!

249210248_Sigma--10-20mm_lens.jpg.24d6bf1dbd6611aae3693eca11db9ee3.jpg

893284811_Sigma10-20--111_big.jpg.25e791918f5729cdca389d5763c16ea0.jpg

So all these photos were taken with ...

..with a lens setting of 15mm (35mm scale equiv.). ===> Not all at 15mm. but a lot of them,yes..

And APLMAC is an accomplished photographer

who knows how to use these advanced tools to generate really great shots. ===> Judicious cropping helps.

Many of these u-w shots have a large object in the foreground which improves the look of the picture.

And the color balancing on the interior shots is perfect. ===> Photoshop helps too! :)

None of these pics are "straight out of the camera" that's fer sure.

I work on them quite a bit before posting them for the public to see.

I don't do more than about 6-8 per day, if I'm feeling busy, if that tells you anything.

God bless the modern technology,huh?!

Chops-388.jpg

And yes, I've been using ultra-wides for a few decades.

That helps too..

I have to ask... How did you post these nice photos on CC? Every time I have tried to attach a photo, it appears to be small.

If you upload the photos to a file sharing site like Webshots, Photobucket, Flickr, etc, and just copy and paste the photos from that site, you can get the larger photos.

I have to ask... How did you post these nice photos on CC? Every time I have tried to attach a photo, it appears to be small.

The method I use is to go to the website where the pic is stored, go to the pic and click to blow up, then move usually to the right where there will be some check boxes to resize the image, usually 100 to 600 pixels. The bigger you choose the bigger the image will be.

Then after you have done that look for several choices available, one of which is "post to a forum", right click there to highlight the code, then jump back to the posting you are doing and right click to insert the internet code. The picture itself does not post, just the link code so when you open the thread the pic is drawn from the website where it is stored.

You must have 2 browser sessions running, one to cruise critic and the 2nd to the photowebsite.

I have to get dressed for the final formal night of this leg, but I thought that I'd pop on and tell you all that

WE WON THE CRUISE DIRECTOR"S TRIVIA BOWL!!!!!

Yes, the Divas & Wannabees, Len, Letty, Denise, Rick, Cindy and Carol came out on top by ONE point.

And what was that one question, you may ask?

Well, of course, there were actually lots of questions that could have made a difference.

But Abe was reading the questions, and when he got to this one, he paused, smirked, chuckled evilly and said, "Well, NO ONE will get THIS one. bwah ha ha ha ha!" (insert evil grin and evil laugh track)

"What is the upright stick that casts its shadow on a sundial called? Bwah ha ha ha ha!"

At which, I cried out, "Duh! I know that! Easy one!"

He looked crestfallen, strode over to see what I had written, and almost cried!

Yes, folks, your Merion Mom found that a VERY easy question!

We got a big pile of RCC* for winning.

I must transform myself from afternoon icon to evening goddess.

Go forth and google. You know that you will. I'll post the answer later for those who do not care to do research. ;)

* Royal Caribbean Crap.

I have to get dressed for the final formal night of this leg, but I thought that I'd pop on and tell you all that

Yes, the Divas & Wannabees, Len, Letty, Denise, Rick, Cindy and Carol came out on top by ONE point.

Well, of course, there were actually lots of questions that could have made a difference.

But Abe was reading the questions, and when he got to this one, he paused, smirked, chuckled evilly and said, "Well, NO ONE will get THIS one. bwah ha ha ha ha!" (insert evil grin and evil laugh track)

"What is the upright stick that casts its shadow on a sundial called? Bwah ha ha ha ha!"

Go forth and google. You know that you will. I'll post the answer later for those who do not care to do research. ;)

* Royal Caribbean Crap.

Congrats on winning a pile of cr_z cr_p, as we call it.

And you have 2 more legs to go. Bet your daughter will love it when you show up home and give her 2 keychains, 3 water wallets, 4 id cases, 5 RCI ballpens.......................:D

* Royal Caribbean Crap.

Congratulations on the win. I looked it up and you deserved to win if you got that one right. Give a hug to Cindy from me to celebrate the win. See you soon. :D :D

http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/HistTopics/Sundials.html

>>> a gnomon <<< never heard of it before now, must admit! :D

Sundial-23.jpg

In St.John's Parish Church-yard, East coast of Barbados

Luv that wide angle shot, you really know how to utilize the u-w lens.

Now if I could only find the time to absorb photoshop.:o

Luv that wide angle shot

you really know how to utilize the u-w lens. ===> Get close to foreground objects

Now if I could only find the time to absorb Photoshop.:o

It's taken me 12 years of dabbling more than anything

and I still use only 20% (if that!) of Photoshop v. 7's real abilities!!

Thank goodness for easy ways out like Auto-Contrast, Auto-Color and Auto-Levels

..those do a lot of it, but you still need to tweak the colors,manually.

I'm doing a few new ones right now....

Mariner-378.jpg

The folks who are on the ship, using the print format (to avoid long downloads over the slow and expensive internet connection) are going to be quite surprised when they get home and flip through this thread and see all these cool pictures that everyone is talking about!

Theron

OK this one's a bit different...

Windows-399.jpg

While we were enjoying the most delicious lunch in Chops Grille

along comes this Skywalker dude (what else can I call him, huh?)

washing the windows with his hose an all

You wouldn't believe the response from my group of travel agents!

Everyone whipped out their camera/s and started taking pics of this guy 'on the outside' !!

He was the star of the show!

Talk about yer 15 mins. of fame - this was his time :D

Mary, we had 10 at our table, at Chops, on the Brilliance Med cruise. I've got a group going to the Panama Canal and we'll have about 16 ... so I expect that they'll have to split us into 2 tables.

Interesting, although Chops could accommodate 10, Portofino made us split into 2 tables (4+6) ... :rolleyes:

We had 8 at our table in Chops on the Radiance. We also had a family table for 8 in the MDR on the Soveriegn.

They do try to acommodate. :)

Archived