Flat Panel TVs on Crown Princess

cruisemaster6

Does anybody know if they added flat panel tvs in the cabins after the recent drydock? I know that prior to the drydock all stateroom categories below minisuites only had the conventional CRT tvs.

I doubt they swapped out the old tv's, the ship is only 2 years old.

Thats big bucks.

I was on the Christmas cruise after dry dock and had a flat panel TV. I was in a regular balcony cabin so it sounds like maybe they did change them all out. There was also a WIFI router in the hall but I wasn't able to pick up the Internet from the room I think they might still be working through issues...

FYI, this was the first Caribbean cruise that we got ESPN and ESPN2 with American football (instead of international sports). It was nice to get to watch games in the room.

Even on the older Princess Ships..Sun Princess and ex Regal Princess - Pacific Dawn now have the flat screen LCD TV's. You would think the newest Princess ship,Ruby would have had them fitted at launch date did they?

I think that starting with the Emerald and thus the Ruby, all the cabins had flat screen TV's from the start. I would imagine they are doing this to the new ships in part for the incredible weight savings that getting rid of all those heavier CRT TV would provide. Can you imagine how much weight it would save and thus how much fuel it would save?

Does anybody know if they added flat panel tvs in the cabins after the recent drydock? I know that prior to the drydock all stateroom categories below minisuites only had the conventional CRT tvs.

Another question about the Crown. Do they have British style pub food - in the Wheelhouse bar - fish and chips cottage pie etc. I know that the new Ruby does.

It will cut down on some weight, also electrical consumption.

The new Flat Screen sets are digital capable, however the old analog technology is still currently being used, thus you will see the same old fuzzy picture.

I think the Cruise ship industry is looking at total digital television. It makes sense that is what were are getting in our homes in the very new future. The addition of new Flat Screens is onlythe first step.

The next step will be to change over the distribution equipment aboard each ship to allow for digital operation. When this happens you will see much clearer pictures and also MORE channels for sure. I have found some information on the internet that suggests maybe 40 or more channels then the ships currently have as well as channels in various languages. Also ON DEMAND may be coming.

They will be able put up scrolling screens, for example the dining room menus, activitie schedules, and anything else they want. Interactive TV would alllow you to view your bill, and even play games.

I am sure more commercials about art, jewerly, excursions, and who knows what the limint will be. Maybe even a pay per view service......

Time will tell.

Alan

Hi rrunner, to answer your "British style pub food" question... yes, that was offered also on the Crown as well.

That is good to hear. Thank you - we are on Crown next week. My husband will be happy with the new menu.

Another question about the Crown. Do they have British style pub food - in the Wheelhouse bar - fish and chips cottage pie etc. I know that the new Ruby does.

For lunch dont forget to try the International Cafe in the Atrium, it offers some good paninis and salads. In the evening there is a tapas bar (for a charge) as well as a Sushi bar ($1 a piece) on the starboard side of the atrium.

Not wanting to nit pick with an expert but the TV in our Emerald cabin was 20", and yes I am nerdy enough to have measured it.

Do all the cabins have the same TV's, even the inside cabins? That sounds like a larger TV than Princess has in some of the older ships.

When did they start serving this in the Wheelhouse on the Crown?? :confused:

The first pub lunch was on the Christmas sailing. I had it the other day and it was fabulous. I liked the fish more here on the Crown than what we had on the Ruby even though it is all supposed to be the same.

Do all the cabins have the same TV's, even the inside cabins? That sounds like a larger TV than Princess has in some of the older ships.

I just went and looked.....yes they are the same size.

Archived