Are there normal patterns of disembarking order?

Just wondering. We won't be doing self-disembark, so just wondering if there's a typical order when they start calling for regular disembarking, like high decks to low decks (or vice versa), or if it works from one end of the ship to the other, or something like that. Have any of you frequent cruisers noticed a pattern?

I believe they have started using a "ZONE" system.

You recieve tags for your luggage the night before with ZONE numbers on them.

They then call you by zone to disembark.

Not sure if this is totally fleet wide now, but it's how they did it on the Destiny back in November.

Should be based on time of your flight. Don't forget, you can always go to the purser's desk and request an earlier time.

Or you can just do what most people seem to do and go whenever you want to regardless of whether they've called your number or not. They call the first few zones, and then after a long break they say everyone else can go because by then only the few people that follow the rules are left on the ship.

It doesn't really bother me that much though because that way when you do finally get off there aren't many bags left to pick through to find yours. Besides, I'm just as happy waiting around on the ship reading as I would be if I got off sooner and was instead waiting around the airport reading.

Suites now get #1 regardless of what time your departure is. We were driving to Orlando after our last cruise but we still were off by 9 because we had priority for being in a suite. There is a method, but only Carnival knows exactly what it is. :D

As stated in the thread about self-disembarkation, ours started on 12/18 Fascination rather late because they MUST clear all the non-US citizens through immigrations on the ship and there were a couple of people who they kept paging and paging and paging...

They finally started the self-disembark at about 8:30, calling by decks.

I wasn't really paying attention as I was in no hurry. We were sitting on the Lido deck, sipping our tea and reading.

When they did start calling #s, they called 1-10 (we had 7 and waited at least 15 minutes, and the line was down to Riviera deck by the time we went down). Just as we got at the end of the line, they called the next group.

Walked right over to area #7 and got our bags. There were only a few left. It went very smoothly. No way am I ever getting in that cattle call for self-disembark.

And, yes, everyone across the hall from us had #1. If you aren't in a hurry, you can wait until after your number is called. It's much smoother the longer you wait. On Glory last May, we didn't leave until about 10:10. Were just about the last people off. It was great.

I think it might go by which deck you are on after they give out the numbers to the passengers with early flights, suites, etc. Before we asked for self debarkation we had #6 and so did just about everyone in our hallway on deck 7, even the inside cabin people.

The only order is mass chaos. Yeah they call specific zones (luggage tag #s) but it is not enforced. Anyone wanting off can get off no one checks the tag #s. BTW good luck getting an elevator with all your luggage. I find it is a lot easier to avoid the chaos and get off at your leisure. Even VIP disembarkation is hit and miss and in our case a lot more miss.

Thanks for the answers everybody, both serious and funny! :D

We tend to be rule followers so we'll likely go when we're called. :o

The reason I'm curious is mostly to do with when we can expect to be picking up our car rental. We're in no rush to get off. Just driving back to Orlando, no flight to catch.

But you guys are scaring me :D:D

If our number is first after self-D, it sounds like we'll be stuck in quite a mess! :eek: :D

Just wondering. We won't be doing self-disembark, so just wondering if there's a typical order when they start calling for regular disembarking, like high decks to low decks (or vice versa), or if it works from one end of the ship to the other, or something like that. Have any of you frequent cruisers noticed a pattern?

I know you didn't mean to be funny....but thanks for the laugh.....all we've ever seen are lines of people jammed into the halls, schlepping their luggage, rushing to go nowhere

You don't have to go when your number is called. If you are in no rush I'd suggest that you simply wait on the Lido until they tell everyone to get off. It's much more relaxing and typically the lines are shorter.

Thanks for the answers everybody, both serious and funny! :D

We tend to be rule followers so we'll likely go when we're called. :o

The reason I'm curious is mostly to do with when we can expect to be picking up our car rental. We're in no rush to get off. Just driving back to Orlando, no flight to catch.

But you guys are scaring me :D:D

If our number is first after self-D, it sounds like we'll be stuck in quite a mess! :eek: :D

Worse ``innovation'' any cruiseline ever developed was self disembarkation. when the process first started several years ago the self-assist system was designed for pax who had to catch early flights to insure they got to the airport in time. At the time they offered the service to pax who had only a suitcase and carryon with them. Back then there might be a 100 or so pax getting off the ship early.

Now you see a few hundred trying to get off the ship with multi suitcases, a carryon (or two), one or two boxes of liquor and no clue as to why they want to get off the ship that early.

The entire self-assist program has screwed the entire disembarcation system up. Wish cruiselines would go back to the former system -- self-assist only open to those with early flights or a family emergency.

Dianne

Worse ``innovation'' any cruiseline ever developed was self disembarkation. when the process first started several years ago the self-assist system was designed for pax who had to catch early flights to insure they got to the airport in time. At the time they offered the service to pax who had only a suitcase and carryon with them. Back then there might be a 100 or so pax getting off the ship early.

Now you see a few hundred trying to get off the ship with multi suitcases, a carryon (or two), one or two boxes of liquor and no clue as to why they want to get off the ship that early.

The entire self-assist program has screwed the entire disembarcation system up. Wish cruiselines would go back to the former system -- self-assist only open to those with early flights or a family emergency.

Dianne

The people who do self-assist are not the problem. The problem are the hundreds of idiots who go and wait in the lobby for an hour before their number is called clogging the walkways and elevators so that it becomes a nightmare.

The people who do self-assist are not the problem. The problem are the hundreds of idiots who go and wait in the lobby for an hour before their number is called clogging the walkways and elevators so that it becomes a nightmare.

You are entitled to your opinion but I've witnessed the ``hundreds of idiots'' clogging the walkways, elevators and staircases for years on the ships. But the # of people who want to self-assist their exit from the ship has climbed drastically over the past few years.

I still say if cruiselines go back to the original intent of self-assist and allow ony those pax who truly must get off the ship earlier than others to self disembark, then the theory of calling numbers for the rest of us would go better.

This theory that ``I've opted for self-assist and can go when I want to'' doesn't fly with me. If you've opted for self-assist, there should be a valid reason and when pax who opted for self assist are called to disembark then they should get their behinds behind their luggage and get off the ship.

Self-assist was started for pax who actually had to get off the ship early and opportunity to do just that.

On another note, maybe cruiselines should add a few extra employees to oversee the elevators, staircases, etc. on the last morning and force pax loitering in those areas to move to the back of the line.:D

Dianne

I posted this in another thread, but thought I'd add it here too.

I wonder how many of those people know where else they are allowed to go on the ship to wait. On our first cruise, we had no idea where we were permitted to go after we were 'booted' from our cabin. So yes, we sat and waited.

Not to mention...would you want to wait for an elevator to take you to the Lido deck? Most likely the elevators aren't heading in that direction and it would be sort of a PITA. :) Would you even be able to get ON with all the baggage?

I believe they have started using a "ZONE" system.

You recieve tags for your luggage the night before with ZONE numbers on them.

They then call you by zone to disembark.

Not sure if this is totally fleet wide now, but it's how they did it on the Destiny back in November.

They used Zones for Conquest as well. And yes, it can take FOREVER!!!!!!

I wonder how many of those people know where else they are allowed to go on the ship to wait. On our first cruise, we had no idea where we were permitted to go after we were 'booted' from our cabin. So yes, we sat and waited.

Not to mention...would you want to wait for an elevator to take you to the Lido deck? Would you even be able to get ON with all the baggage?

Why would you have all that luggage if you were not self-disembarking? I had my purse.

We sat on a couch in front of the coffee bar. Boy did we keep her busy!!!!!!

Not to mention...would you want to wait for an elevator to take you to the Lido deck? Most likely the elevators aren't heading in that direction and it would be sort of a PITA. :) Would you even be able to get ON with all the baggage?

They usually make repeated announcements that you can wait in any public area of the ship. But we usually just wait in our cabin. They won't physically remove you from your cabin. We ask our room steward if it's ok and have never had them tell us no.

They usually make repeated announcements that you can wait in any public area of the ship. But we usually just wait in our cabin. They won't physically remove you from your cabin. We ask our room steward if it's ok and have never had them tell us no.

The only announcement we ever heard was to vacate the cabin by 8:30am. Someone dropped the ball that time. If we had known we could go anywhere we wanted to, we wouldn't have made ourselves so miserable! :)

Why would you have all that luggage if you were not self-disembarking? I had my purse.

We had two carry on suitcases (filled with breakable vases and such from our wedding), my wedding dress, and two tote bags. Yes, I know that's not the 'norm', but that's where we found ourselves. :)

We found the elevators crammed with people who were attempting to self disembark with mounds of luggage.

The disembarkation we had was nothing but literal chaos. I know they're supposed to stop the self disembarking passengers after a certain point in time, but this was just a free for all. I'm hoping our next experience isn't so hair-raising.

Archived