Division:Magnoliophyta

Class:Magnoliopsida

Order:Caryophyllales

Family:Amaranthaceae, formerly Chenopodiaceae[1]

Genus:Spinacia

Species:S. oleracea

Binomial nameSpinacia oleracea

L.Spinach, raw

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)Energy 20 kcal 100 kJCarbohydrates 3.6 g- Sugars 0.4 g- Dietary fiber 2.2 g Fat0.4 gProtein2.2 gVitamin A equiv. 469 μg 52%- β-carotene 5626 μg 52%Folate (Vit. B9) 194 μg 49%Vitamin C 28 mg47%Vitamin E 2 mg13%Vitamin K 483 μg460%Calcium 99 mg10%Iron 2.7 mg22%Percentages are relative to US

recommendations for adults.

Source: USDA Nutrient databaseSpinach (Spinacia oleracea) is a flowering plant in the family of Amaranthaceae. It is native to central and southwestern Asia. It is an annual plant (rarely biennial), which grows to a height of up to 30 cm. Spinach may survive over winter in temperate regions. The leaves are alternate, simple, ovate to triangular-based, very variable in size from about 2-30 cm long and 1-15 cm broad, with larger leaves at the base of the plant and small leaves higher on the flowering stem. The flowers are inconspicuous, yellow-green, 3-4 mm diameter, maturing into a small hard dry lumpy fruit cluster 5-10 mm across containing several seeds.

Contents

[hide]

• <LI class=toclevel-1>
1 History <LI class=toclevel-1>2 Culinary Information
  • <LI class=toclevel-2>
2.1 Nutrition
  • <LI class=toclevel-3>
2.1.1 Iron <LI class=toclevel-3>2.1.2 Calcium
2.1.3 Other

<LI class=toclevel-2>2.2 Types of spinach

[*]2.3 Production, marketing and storage

<LI class=toclevel-1>3 Spinach in popular culture <LI class=toclevel-1>4 United States

• <LI class=toclevel-2>
4.1 2006 United States E. coli outbreak
4.2 2007 United States Salmonella outbreak

<LI class=toclevel-1>5 Other species called spinach <LI class=toclevel-1>6 References <LI class=toclevel-1>7 Further reading

[*]8 External links

[edit] History

Primitive forms of spinach are found in Nepal and that is probably where the plant was first domesticated. Other than the Indian subcontinent, it was unknown in the ancient world. After the early Muslim conquests the plant spread to other areas. In 647, it was taken to China, possibly by Persians. Muslim Arabs diffused the plant westward up to Islamic Spain. By the eleventh century it was a common plant in the Muslim world.[1]

Spinach is thought to have originated in ancient Persia (Iran). Spinach made its way to China in the 7th century when the king of Nepal sent it as a gift to this country. Spinach has a much more recent history in Europe than many other vegetables. It was only brought to that continent in the 11th century, when the Moors introduced it into Spain. In fact, for a while, spinach was known as "the Spanish vegetable" in England. Spinach was the favorite vegetable of Catherine de Medici, a historical figure in the 16th century. When she left her home of Florence, Italy, to marry the king of France, she brought along her own cooks, who could prepare spinach the ways that she especially liked. Since this time, dishes prepared on a bed of spinach are referred to as "a la Florentine."

[edit] Culinary Information

[edit] Nutrition

[edit] Iron

Spinach is known as a rich source of iron and calcium. According to the USDA, a 180 gram serving of boiled spinach contains 6.43 mg of iron, whereas one 6 oz. (170 gram) ground hamburger patty contains at most 4.42 mg. Thus spinach does contain a relatively high level of iron, compared to other vegetable and meat sources.[3]

The iron in spinach is poorly absorbed by the body unless eaten with calcium.[4] The type of iron found in spinach is non-blood (non-heme), a plant iron, which the body does not absorb as efficiently as blood (heme) iron, found in meat.[4]

The bioavailability of iron is dependent on its absorption. This is influenced by a number of factors. Iron enters the body in two forms: nonheme iron and heme iron. All of the iron in grains and vegetables, and about three fifths of the iron in animal food sources (meats), is nonheme iron. The much smaller remaining portion from meats is heme iron.[5]

The larger portion of dietary iron (nonheme) is absorbed slowly in its many food sources, including spinach. This absorption may vary widely depending on the presence of binders such as fiber or enhancers, such as vitamin C. Therefore, the body's absorption of non-heme iron can be improved by consuming foods that are rich in vitamin C. However, spinach contains high levels of oxalate. Oxalates bind to iron to form ferrous oxalate, thus making the iron in spinach unavailable,[6] plus high amounts of oxalates remove iron from the body. Therefore, a diet high in oxalate (or phosphate or phytate) leads to a decrease in iron absorption. As a result around 90% of the iron content in Spinach will be released in urine, and not absorbed in the body.[citation needed]

Essentially none of the "caesar salads" served in restaurants or on a cruise are really caesar salads. If it is not made freshly at your table with all the proper stuff, it is just a salad served with croutons.

DON

Absolutely correct!

Well, here's my 2 cents..........lettuce (and veggies) are simply a conduit for getting yummy blue cheese dressing :eek:....if it also has blue cheese crumbles, all the better. I order a ceasar salad when I can't get a salad with blue cheese dressing!:D

Happy sailing!

I love a properly made ceasar, (spelling optional), but I'm like you and will always go for the blue cheese. Especially on an iceberg wedge with bacon bits.

Thanks for the information -- was just going by what my doctor told me a couple of years ago when I had an iron deficiency.
Are you aware that most medical schools don't offer a course in nutrition? Even at those that do offer it, it is an elective and not a substantial number of students take it. The only person whose nutritional knowledge I'd trust, has the initials R.D. after her/his name.

Do the Google search on 'spinach iron'. You'll see that spinach got it's 'reputation' due to a misplaced decimal point. There are other veggie options that will provide the iron without the issues spinach has - I didn't get into the thyroid concerns.

The Greek salad is only one of the reasons I'm VERY happy to see the 'Caesar' option available. That is something I'll NEVER order. :eek::eek::eek:

Chart House Restaurant Where?

There are so many of them.

Well S7S, the one I'm talking about is a 15 min. drive away in Redondo Beach, CA but you used to have one on the waterfront in Boston (had dinner there once). Not sure if that one is still there, though. Chart House fell on some meager times a while back and closed down a whole bunch of their restaurants, luckily not the one near us!

Ahh.... Yes, there was a Chart House in Boston. I don't know if it is still open but will google to see.

Though chains, sometimes one place is outstandingly better than another and I wondered if there was a terrific one we should know about. :)

We dined in some Chart Houses in various Caribbean islands through the years. They almost always were on the water and very enjoyable.

I love this thread (LOL).......AND, sense we're off on Spinach Salads, that's what we always have at home. I've read that spinach is about l00 times more healthy than most other greens.

I know this is information every one has been waiting on with baited breath!

Okay, but it's bated, as in abated, like when you hold your breath. Baited breath would attract something, but what? LOL!

Isn't the English language full of surprises?!:p

That said, I do love spinach salad and would like to see it offered. However, I won't be holding my breath. I know that in my fridge that romaine keeps fresher longer than spinach. I suspect it would be the same on a HAL ship.

I agree, but there's a big (albeit sporadic) problem with Spinach... Not only is there often a lot of sand, grit, etc. in the bulk harvested product, many times there is also contamination by E-Coli. Difficult to clean enough to feed thousands of people at one time.

In addition to the code reds for the N virus, now can do them for E-Coli too! :rolleyes:

<SIGH>

Difficult to clean enough to feed thousands of people at one time.
Added that the typical HAL passenger probably has a higher percentage than the general population to be taking Coumadin/warfarin. They shouldn't be eating spinach at all. I just don't see HAL opening themselves up to a whole lot of problems by serving spinach salads.

As I have major food allergies (most raw fruits and veggies - yes, it does suck; what I wouldn't give to eat an apple...) I usually order a Ceasar with the dressing on the side, blue chease (Roquefort, mmm) if I can get it =)

All other salads offer too much trouble with my allergies

Added that the typical HAL passenger probably has a higher percentage than the general population to be taking Coumadin/warfarin. They shouldn't be eating spinach at all. I just don't see HAL opening themselves up to a whole lot of problems by serving spinach salads.

Not the current thinking at all. That is so 'old hat'.

One does not diet the dose; they dose the diet.

One should eat their usual diet, be consistent and dosage is adjusted to the way they normally eat. Informed, current coumadin clinincs finally get it.Mass General Hospital (world class recognized) advised me it was fine to have my spinach salads and brocolli etc etc)

If you know someone who is being told those misinformed instructions, they need to tell those folks to restudy the latest literature. All fine institutions have thrown out those old books.

I had a brief time on coumadin following my valve replacement...just a few months. Thankfully, I now longer require it but I learned a lot in the 2 1/2 months I took it.

Eat the spinach, eat the green leafy veggies but be consistent. A good clinic will adjust the dosage to your healthy diet.

Sail - I have 'been there, done that' with a family member at another "fine institution" (there are others besides Boston :eek:). I'm sorry, but I don't know of many how will be that consistent at home, never mind while on a cruise. :eek::eek::eek:

Sail - I have 'been there, done that' with a family member at another "fine institution" (there are others besides Boston :eek:). I'm sorry, but I don't know of many how will be that consistent at home, never mind while on a cruise. :eek::eek::eek:

Yes, there are fine medical institutions world wide.

Consistent means, theydiet they like and usually eat. :) Consistent means if they always eat green leafies, they should continue. Makes no sense to tell a heart patient to not eat healthy veggies.

It certainly is not even on the scale of -0- that a cruise line should not offer spinach salads because some of their guests may be on coumadin. Silly! IMO....

I am grateful the short stint I used that drug, I had current, up-to-date providers advising me.

The lettuce is sliced, not hand separated, no real dressing, just some parmasan sprinkled on top but I like salads of just lettuce and a simple dresing. If it was made tableside I'd expect some blue cheese, anchovies, lemon juice, worcester sauce and a slightly cooked egg and wine vinegar and olive oil. Bet their dressing comes from a Kraft bottle.

My Dear PenelopeCorelli:

Thank you for correcting my spelling. I often make errors like that.

However, with all due respect, I believe there is generally a policy here of not making an issue of spelling errors.

If we all corrected each other's spelling errors, nothing much else would get said.

My Dear PenelopeCorelli:

Thank you for correcting my spelling. I often make errors like that.

However, with all due respect, I believe there is generally a policy here of not making an issue of spelling errors.

If we all corrected each other's spelling errors, nothing much else would get said.

You're very welcome, I'm sure, My dear DFD (?):), but you write very well so I didn't think you misspelled or had a typo, just that I've seen the word "baited" now used in this phrase often, and think that perhaps the actual word has been made obsolete?? (I was prob just being a show-off...but I haven't noticed many spelling errors here) - I did like the anchovy retort though! clever;)

You're very welcome, I'm sure, My dear DFD (?):), but you write very well so I didn't think you misspelled or had a typo, just that I've seen the word "baited" now used in this phrase often, and think that perhaps the actual word has been made obsolete?? (I was prob just being a show-off...but I haven't noticed many spelling errors here) - I did like the anchovy retort though! clever;)

PenelopeCorelli..Realize that you are a former Schoolteacher, however there are certain Community Guidlines which most of us on this board try to follow..Perhaps you have not read the Community Guidelines which DFD is very nicely referring to... ;)

Quote Thank you for correcting my spelling. I often make errors like that.

If we all corrected each other's spelling errors, nothing much else would get said. Quote

Spelling and Grammar Errors It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies. Unquote

Cheers..:)Betty

Archived