NEW TIP POLICY - Automatic Charge & "Alternate Service" tip

Lsimon

As long as I am paying a reasonable amount for a cruise, including all costs and gratuities, and the crew is adequately compensated, I don't really care how the money is allocated.

The only thing that would make me stop cruising with a specific cruise line is if our overall cruise experience was diminished by cutbacks in areas that are important to us.

Wow! What postings. I don't want to HAVE to tip those that don't do anything for me. It's those people who cruise, who don't tip or who haven't tipped in the past that made this change happen. Too many people DON'T show up the last night of the cruise, too many people who DON'T show up EVER in the dining room (eat only at the buffet area) and those who come from countries where they don't tip and so they choose to not tip when on the cruise, have made this become automatic. We have made CLOSE friends with one of our waiters, we email VERY often and he has told us many times of how people don't tip. They avoid coming to the dining room so they won't have to tip. Many times you see tables in the dining room with one couple at each table, just to keep a waiter busy so he will have some income at the end of the cruise. The waiting staff plans on a certain income and then when we don't show or when we eat in the specialty restaurant and then deduct that days tips from the total, is a loss in income. Too many times our stateroom attendants have told us how they get stiffed. There are alot of people who just feel that they paid for their cruise and that the cruiseline should pay the help. Did you know that the cruise line gives the crew members $50 a MONTH and the rest they depend on us. I would rather give CASH to whom I want and to who took care of me but going automatic then makes sure that they get what they certainly work hard for. These waiters are up at 6 a.m. to be in the dining room early for us, work either in the dining room for lunch or in the buffet area and then are back in the dining room by 5 p.m. for the 6 p.m. seating. I know when we get through with our late seating, it is about l0:30 p.m. and then my waiter has to set up for the next day. Pretty long hours for that little bit of money. I also know that last night my DH and I went out to dinner. Our check was $62 and the tip ended up being $l0. That was ONE meal and our tip was $l0. What is $14 ($7 X 2 of us) per day for 3 meals (and sometimes more).

Well going to go start packing for my next cruise which is soon approaching.

Wow! What postings. I don't want to HAVE to tip those that don't do anything for me. It's those people who cruise, who don't tip or who haven't tipped in the past that made this change happen. Too many people DON'T show up the last night of the cruise, too many people who DON'T show up EVER in the dining room (eat only at the buffet area) and those who come from countries where they don't tip and so they choose to not tip when on the cruise, have made this become automatic. We have made CLOSE friends with one of our waiters, we email VERY often and he has told us many times of how people don't tip. They avoid coming to the dining room so they won't have to tip. Many times you see tables in the dining room with one couple at each table, just to keep a waiter busy so he will have some income at the end of the cruise. The waiting staff plans on a certain income and then when we don't show or when we eat in the specialty restaurant and then deduct that days tips from the total, is a loss in income. Too many times our stateroom attendants have told us how they get stiffed. There are alot of people who just feel that they paid for their cruise and that the cruiseline should pay the help. Did you know that the cruise line gives the crew members $50 a MONTH and the rest they depend on us. I would rather give CASH to whom I want and to who took care of me but going automatic then makes sure that they get what they certainly work hard for. These waiters are up at 6 a.m. to be in the dining room early for us, work either in the dining room for lunch or in the buffet area and then are back in the dining room by 5 p.m. for the 6 p.m. seating. I know when we get through with our late seating, it is about l0:30 p.m. and then my waiter has to set up for the next day. Pretty long hours for that little bit of money. I also know that last night my DH and I went out to dinner. Our check was $62 and the tip ended up being $l0. That was ONE meal and our tip was $l0. What is $14 ($7 X 2 of us) per day for 3 meals (and sometimes more).

Well going to go start packing for my next cruise which is soon approaching.

Because of the pay structure you mention and the fact that many times they are working hard behind the scenes, that is why mandatory tips are necessary, then after paying this miniscule amount you are free to tip better for personal services if you like. I have a question what cruise line are you on that only charges $7pp pd? Most are at least $10 or now $12 pp per day.

Arwenmark - my last cruise the suggested tip for my waiter was $3.50 per day so that came to $7 total for the 2 of us JUST for the Waiter. So last night we gave our waiter in our local restaurant $l0. The crew deserves to be tipped more than what is suggested. I just feel that those that complain about tipping should just stay home. AND those that want to wear JEANS in the dining room should cruise Carnival.

All cruise lines post the tip structure, either as a recommended amount, or as a mandatory amount. As a passenger, you know what is expected, and should calculate that as part of the vacation, just like transportation, hotels etc. Unless the service is significantly poor, follow the guidelines. If it is poor, why didn't you notify the manager sooner, and give them a chance to improve? Why spoil your vacation just so you can clip some money off the tip?

On the other hand, tipping can get overboard. They should really go above and beyond the expected service level to get extra. For example, you should expect superior food and superior service from the specialty restaurant. You are already paying extra, and leaving your regular meal un served. The tip has been calculated in the price, so relax and enjoy without additional tipping concerns.

A lot of people are on the ship to make your vacation enjoyable. if you can't afford the tip, why are you there?

Paul

hello,

sounds like a bonus of $1,277,500.00 for x.

1.25x365daysx2800pax on solstice. that is for one ship. now roughly times that amount by the number of ships in their fleet. WOW!

later,

ezemoney(i wish)

Grautities for us are equal to the service received. When we receive outstanding service (which is often the case on Celebrity ships) we provide more than the recommended amounts. When we receive less than acceptable (on a rare occasion) we provide less. We like personally handing grautities to staff we've come to know and appreciate. We'll continue to do so.

Our first stop on Solstice in March will be to have the "automatic" grautities removed. If there ultimate goal it to make this mandatory, just stop calling them gratuities and increase the price of the fare.

By the way, we are on Princess the week before Solstice so I went to see how Princess words their gratuity policy. It's almost word for word Celebrity's new policy. Hmmmmm..............

A lot of people are on the ship to make your vacation enjoyable. if you can't afford the tip, why are you there?

Paul

Paul, I haven't seen one thread where somebody said they could not afford to tip.

Could you point me to that post please?

Thanks

Gerry

Paul, I haven't seen one thread where somebody said they could not afford to tip.

Could you point me to that post please?

Thanks

Gerry

Hi Gerry, thanks for posting this as I was wondering the

same thing.

If there ultimate goal it to make this mandatory, just stop calling them gratuities and increase the price of the fare.

I don't think most of us would have a problem with this, Anne, if the fare increase were only the amount now being suggested/added as "gratuities". That would certainly be both transparent and convenient. As has been said by other CC members before, however, a shift in these costs from onboard to land would in all likelihood result in a fare increase of substantially more than the current 'gratuity' rate.

It's those people who cruise, who don't tip or who haven't tipped in the past that made this change happen. Too many people DON'T show up the last night of the cruise, too many people who DON'T show up EVER in the dining room (eat only at the buffet area) have made this become automatic.

Well, don't just assume that they didn't tip. I have sailed before where I ate in the DR only once and chose the buffet every time, and many times I do not eat in the DR on the last night. However, I've been fortunate to have always rec'd good service and therefore, I always tip.

They avoid coming to the dining room so they won't have to tip.

Are you talking about people who don't leave extra? How do you know that they had the tips excluded from their bill?

Felicia

A few people have posted that they know that the crew get paid very little and count on our tips because they were told that by various crew members during their cruises.

I personally think it is extremely unprofessional for any crew member to make comments of that nature to passengers and if anyone said that to me I would be tempted to give that person less.

Absolutely amazing that this horse is still breathing, let alone twitching... every possible variation of every possible opinion has been stated and re-stated.

What's SO fascinating about this topic? :D

It's Money and Principle.... Money and Principle

It's Money and Principle.... Money and Principle

Right... got it.

After reading many of the posts, it appeared to be 'Money and the Self-Perceived Principled vs. the Perceived Unprincipled,' which I don't recall from my summer reading lists... :)

Three things I was taught to never discuss in polite company: Money, Politics, Religion.

Probably because those topics eventually make for not-so-polite company?? :D :D :D

Just poking a bit of fun... traveling is supposed to be fun, yes??

I think its down to which side of the Atlantic your from, the Brits don't like to tip where has our U.S. cousins don't have a problem with tipping.

Im sorry but that is a really awful thing to say and totally untrue. Just because it is not the British custom to tip as many people in the UK as in the States it doesnt mean that the British dont tip when cruising, or that they dont like tipping.

Im sure most British cruisers respect the customs of other countries.When I am on holiday I research the local customs and act accordingly and this includes tipping . Most British cruisers are decent people and Im sure they do the same.

Im sorry but that is a really awful thing to say and totally untrue. Just because it is not the British custom to tip as many people in the UK as in the States it doesnt mean that the British dont tip when cruising, or that they dont like tipping.

Im sure most British cruisers respect the customs of other countries.When I am on holiday I research the local customs and act accordingly and this includes tipping . Most British cruisers are decent people and Im sure they do the same.

Just consider the source; a one hit wonder!

It's amazing that this thread is still going strong after 3+ weeks & nary a nasty post!!! It's a great read; & many, many fascinating opinions!! If only the dress code & smoking threads would keep the same civility, we'd all be better off!

Folks, it is quite simplistic. If it were not for a certain number of cheapskates, then this method would probably never have been adopted.

Jack-----I think you've solved the riddle. There are a lot of stiffers out there.

Maybe the concern a lot people had will go away. I just spoke with a Customer Service person at Celebrity and she said that everyone will pay the stated gratuity amount. No adjustment or cancellation will be permitted.

Everyone who wants to cancel their auto charge should call Celebrity and confirm this.

Jack-----I think you've solved the riddle. There are a lot of stiffers out there.

Maybe the concern a lot people had will go away. I just spoke with a Customer Service person at Celebrity and she said that everyone will pay the stated gratuity amount. No adjustment or cancellation will be permitted.

Everyone who wants to cancel their auto charge should call Celebrity and confirm this.

I just received an e-mail from Dondra Ritzenthaler at Celebrity when I asked if the tips can be removed to pay cash: "yes, ALl you have to do is go to customer service desk once on board and tell them"

If that is the case,ou may want to e-mail her and let her know that apparently that is not the information being given out by staff or on the ships, since someone else also posted she was told no on one of the ships.

There may be a bunch of reasons that she said no. I have a good imagination and can come up with a few...

1) She is protecting her staff

2) She is protecting the new policy

3) It was too late in the cruise for this kind of adjustment to be made.

We can speculate for a good long while why she said what she said, and we will never know for sure.;)

Archived