What's a good book to read while on a cruise??....

gator2700

I always have a book on the go and just take whatever I'm currently reading with me. Right now, I'm into Vince Flynn dramas. Before that it was Brad Thor. Basically, think of the types of storylines in the TV series 24.

This last cruise, I actually grabbed a booked at the ship's library. It was all about the various Presidential aircraft over the years.

Some of my favorites:

East of Eden (Classic)

Snow Flower & the Secret Fan (novel)

The Pillars of the Earth (historical fiction)

The Kite Runner (novel)

The Other Boleyn Girl (historical fiction...based on true events of Henry VIII)

The Red Tent (historical fiction...based on biblical characters)

Princess (true story of life as a Saudi princess)

Year of Wonders (historical fiction taking place during the plague in England during 1666)

I highly recommend "The Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love" by Jill Conner Brown. It's mostly about her life and it is so stinkin' funny! You'll get weird looks from people who wonder what your'e laughing out loud at. Conner Brown has several books after this one, but that one is my fave.

OMG--this is the funniest book ever written--for women,that is! Youwill read this book and sit and chuckle out loud! Guys just can't appreciate this "female" humor. Ladies--read this to find out about the greatest chocolate dessert ever made and what you can say to a man to get him to do anything you want!!!

OK, guys and ladies----anything by Nelson DeMille or Stuart Woods or Harlen Coben is a great read.

But, for a cruise---it has to be Florida writer Carl Hiassen's

"Skinny Dip"----about a man who throws his wife overboard and she floats ashore on a...........oh, you just have to read this for yourself.

"Skin Deep" by Carl Hiassen is another great one.

"THE DEVIL IN THE DEEP BLUE SEA"

The story of how Carnival, RCL, NCL and others came to be where they are today.

Should be required reading for all cruisers [at least those who can]:eek::D

Dan

Agreed, should be required reading.

I like biographies and such. Not really into the romance novels. I do like mysteries too. Any suggestions? I'm going on a 7 day cruise with a forcast of rain, so I'll need to occupy my time with a book that will hold my interest for a while. :) Thanks

Not a biography but "Guilty" by Ann Coulter is real good. Even if you don't agree it's a good read.

"THE DEVIL IN THE DEEP BLUE SEA"

The story of how Carnival, RCL, NCL and others came to be where they are today.

Should be required reading for all cruisers [at least those who can]:eek::D

Dan

Excellent read. Covers the Nuts and Bolts of the Cruise Industry from it's beginnings in the 50's in Miami.

The story of how Ted Arinson brought Cruising to the Masses with no money and an idea. Amazing....

And for those who like a break from reading... Yes, there are plenty of pictures !

Edited by campdaan

Janet Evanovich 's number series books are AMAZING...Funny yet your still trying to figure out how its all going to end. Saving "Fearless Fourteen" for the cruise. She also has "between the numbers" books

O gosh, I love her books, I literally laugh out loud when I read her series books. I am from NY, so I can totally picture and hear the characters, the grandmother is a HOOT!

Greg Iles... Black Cross. http://www.gregiles.com/blackcross.htm

Haven't read it in a while, but still remains a top favorite. Most of his books are great reads, and quite a variety of themes.

Ann Rule, any. Not a fan of true crime, but her writing style is amazing. Read one of her books years ago, and anxiously await each paperback. She draws you in.

Michael Palmer and Robin Cook... both are physicians who write amazing medical mysteries. I do admit I'm having a difficult time getting into Michael Palmer's latest, The First Patient, but that's an exception rather than the rule.

Just finished the book Marley and Me. Hilarious, and much, much better than the movie.

Along with ANY Carl Hiaasen book, I love Randy Wayne White and James W. Hall. All set at least partly in Florida, all mysteries of a sort, all good! And for a good laugh, you can also check out Laurence Shames!

I like biographies and such. Not really into the romance novels. I do like mysteries too. Any suggestions? I'm going on a 7 day cruise with a forcast of rain, so I'll need to occupy my time with a book that will hold my interest for a while. :) Thanks

Anything by Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch LA Detective series) or Jonathan Kellerman.

While I have enjoyed many of the authors mentioned already, one of my favorites that I've seldom seen mentioned is "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea" by Gary Kinder. It's the true story of a steamboat loaded with gold lost at sea off the coast off North Carolina during a hurricane and later recovered by some young entrepreneurs. They actually invented the underwater drone later used on the Titanic wreck. It was fascinating, especially the part when they were challenged by Mel Fisher (Key West's hero who recovered the Atocha). Wonderful, wonderful book.

If you haven't read "Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama, I highly recommend it. Even if you didn't vote for him, it's very inspiring.;)

barb65

Costa 1992

Carnival Victory 2004

Carnival Glory 2007

Carnival Miracle 2009

Give me a good mystery and I'm a happy girl! Anything by Robert B. Parker, Patricia Cornwell, Mary Higgins Clark, James Patterson, Sandra Brown, Jonathan Kellerman, Iris Johansen, J. A. Jance. Love Janet Evanovich's "number series"....first one called "One for the Money" ~ latest is "Fearless Fourteen". Another good series is by Diane Mott Davidson.....the main character is a caterer named Goldy and each book has a food related title with a play on words......like "Dark Torte", "Sticks & Scones"....fun books.

Good luck, and happy reading! :)

Well then, combine mystery books with cruising -- "Murder, She Wrote: Murder on the QE2".

I just bought it to be my book for my cruise in February. And besides... doesn't formal night on a cruise remind anyone else of a scene from a cocktail party on Murder, She Wrote?

Cheers.

~Matt

I would recommend the Bio of Lyndon B Johnson by Robert Caro, The Path to Power, it is the first of a 3 part biography. It's followed by Means of Ascent and Master of the senate. Probably the most fascinating story I've read.

For fiction, I'd read The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay.

Enjoy

A bit biography, mystery and true story - Every Woman's Nightmare!

For me, either historical romance or trashy contemporary romance. It's pretty mindless reading and is easy to finish. I'm on vacation so any book that requires in depth thinking doesn't appeal to me. I can read that stuff at home. I've been an avid reader my whole life, but find I don't have the time that I used to. Romance novels are quick reads.