Maasdam Days 6 - 10

Orcrone

OK, I decided to leave out the excruciating details of the rest of the cruise, and just cover highlights.

On day 6 we had a long day (8AM - 11PM) in Antigua. Sunny and 80s the whole day. We went on a private excursion with Eli's Eco Tour. It was a 6 hour boat tour, with several stops including snorkeling. Tried walking through a market, but the vendors were way too pushy for us.

This night was the barbecue. Not bad, not great. Very thin steak. Had the $11.95 all you can drink pina coladas in half a pineapple. Saw an excellent comedian, Richie Minervini, who had just come off the Prinsendam. Also caught a couple of numbers at the cast show, but didn't stay for the entire performance.

Day 7 - St. Maarten. Again sunny and 80s. Brand new pier area. It must be sponsored by St. Maarten, because you can walk off the ship, get info or learn about the cabs without being accosted. Much more relaxing. Walked to Front Street (shopping). It's all torn up doing major reconstruction. Being rebuilt with brick pavers. It should be gorgeous when it's done. Purchased a gold and opal pendant for my mom, who's watching our daughters.

Later in the day we took a cab to Dawn Beach for some snorkeling. Some pretty rough surf today, but still able to snorkel.

Note: We purchased several bottles of alcohol here. Seems the prices were lower on Front Street than at the pier.

Day 8 - San Juan. Sunny and 80s. Short day here (7AM - 1PM). Had to clear immigration again. This time they called us in reverse alphabetical order. Walked through Old San Juan to El Morro Fort. Old San Juan reminds me of the French Quarter in New Orleans. Lots of Spanish architecture with the second floor balconies with wrought iron railing. El Morro is interesting to visit. Upon returning to the ship we stopped at the liquor store right at the pier (2nd floor) and bought several more bottles. Very reasonable prices on some things.

We went to the aft pool for sailaway from San Juan. Make sure you have your camera. We sailed right by El Morro and some great pictures. Unfortunately my camera was in the room.

Ate at the Pinnacle. The room was very warm. All of our side dishes came out lukewarm. My filet, order medium rare, came out medium well. Had the chocolate volcano cake. I thought it was OK, but preferred DW's creme brulee. Probably just a matter of taste.

This night was the desert extravaganza. However, DW went to bed and I was talking with friends until after it was over. Probably better off, the clothes are definitely shrinking.

Days 9 and 10 - Sea days. Beautiful weather both days until about 3:00 PM. Went to the galley tour. On other ones they take you station to station explaining operation of the galley. This tour just led everyone single file through the galley, in one door and out another without stopping. Total time of 3 - 4 minutes.

Since it was a hot day we wound up laying on chairs on the lower Promenade deck, and both DW and I feel asleep. We learned that they blow a loud horn at noon to alert people of lunch. Unfortunately the loudspeaker was about 5 feet away from us. Nearly jumped off the ship!!!

This was the last formal night. On the way there six loud blasts are heard. The captain announces that there is a fire detected on the Lido deck. Turns out someone threw a cigarette in the towel bin. The captain kept us informed very quickly with three announcements. Handled it very well. After hearing about the 1/2 lobster tail, I order two. Much to my surprise (and delight) the entrees arrived with two full size tails each. This is one change for the better. In the evening we caught the newlywed, not-so-newlywed game followed by the cast show. Both very enjoyable.

Day 10 - A relaxing sea day. About 10:00 AM Captain van der Loo gets on the loudspeaker and informs us of the mechanical problems with the generator. I hope people didn't book early flights. We went to the Great Pretender show. It was funny. Had a get together in a suite with other people from the boards. That's a nice way to travel. After dinner we attended the show. It was Richi Minervinni (comedian) and Annie Frances, a very talented singer.

Day 11 - Back to reality. Didn't dock until 9:30. Part of the last group to disembark around noon.

Thanks for all your work posting for us. I enjoyed reading it. Sounds like lots of high points.....and a few 'not so high'. Sounds like for the most part you enjoyed yourself. (I hope :) )
You're correct. We fortunately had a cabin with A/C the way it's supposed to work. In fact DW thought it was too cold at times. There were some things that could have been better. When isn't there? But overall we had a very good time. Enjoyed the ports, the great weather and the company we had. We never felt crowded, and the ship was beautiful.

After some things get build up, when it doesn't live up to your expectations you can be disappointed. The converse is true. I never heard much praise for the shows, but we enjoyed them. After the negative talk about the photographers I actually felt they were not pushy at all. If you didn't want a picture you just told them 'no thanks'.

Once again. It wasn't ideal, but if money and circumstances allowed I'd be at the pier on Saturday.:)

Actually, I'm driving friends there, so I guess I will be at the pier.:D

Wow thank you for the wonderful review! I almost feel as if I just went on a cruise with you :) Sorry not all things were pleasing but looks like you made it fun anyway :)

Glad your home and back on the board :) We missed you!

Glad you enjoyed reading about the trip. Somewhere I read that Front Street is supposed to be completed in December, but there's no way that's happening. The pier was very nice, and it was refreshing having an area that you could just look around without being bothered. They have a water taxi that runs from the pier to the center of Front Street in Philipsburg for $5.00 per day, unlimited rides.

While we were at Dawn Beach we struck up a conversation with someone who actually flew to the island for vacation, rather than take a cruise (go figure). We actually felt that this was an island we'd like to visit for more than an afternoon.

Thanks Ocrone , nice finish.I am sencing an alarming trend with HAL and other lines as I read. The need to turn a profit, be competetive , stay affordable and present a quality product , without cutbacks, price increases and or major or minor inconveniences .HMMMMM...... a rock and a hard place !

Glad it was an overall "THUMBS UP "

-- We learned that they blow a loud horn at noon to alert people of lunch. ---

That, my friend, is the 'noon whistle'

It's from an old trans-At tradition in which the whistle was tested every day at sea, marking the approximate time of 12N.

Good to know that HAL still observes this maritime tradition.

_TOOT_

It's been a pleasure reading all your reports, Marc. Thank you for all your efforts.

Since I'll be sailing the Maasdam for the first time next summer I'm interested in reading everything I can about her. I'm hoping that HAL management is reading, too, and all the problems listed out are corrected.

Archived