just back from constellation--mini port review

elaineo

hi. was on connie last week. just out of dry dock. looks great. service top notch, food great (except veal--eggy batter on it, and steaks--who wants a steak that has been cooked on a stainless grill w/t a flame). there are quite a few reviews of connie, so I will only add a few extrea tidbits.

1st stop case de campo, but they also stop at catalina island (GET OFF THE BOAT at catalina). It iwas a great, clean, wide and long beach---similar to other cruise lines private islands in bahamas. Select vendors (not pushy at all) offer water sports at one end. free chairs and umbrellas for a small tip ($2). They set up a buffet from 11:30-2 pm (beware ask for WELL done hamburger----if not, they are VERY undercooked!--only at beach party---no problems on board ship). then tenders take you back from 1-4 pm to the ship (a 45 minute ride---not too bad, but for those who get sea-sick easily, take your pills!!) fyi--EVERYONE I spoke with who got off and went into town thought it was NOT a GOOD port, except the little town with the spanish architecture interested some---but those of us who beached it loved it!

the other port I will comment on is dominica---It is a great dive spot, for those of you who dive. Otherwise, not really a beach place--lots of rain. there are lots of tour buses when you get off the boat that will do the island tour. It is very tropical and mountainous---more similar to yucatan or honduras then the carrib. this is a good island to do an island tour. we booked with reynotours thru email ahead of time. when you get off boat, a tourist agent at the dock will call him on his cell phone (so bring his email confirm with his phone # on it.) He was very nice and I would recommend him to others.

last comment, for this cruise, I would book late seating. we usually book main, but it left no time to enjoy hot tubs, have a drink, etc. when got in from the beaches. also sushi bar from 6-10 at the back of deck 10 is GREAT, and you can go and have a pre-dinner snack there. also, really good waffles at very back of 10 deck.

thanks for the mini review. Regarding Dominica, do you have a dive operator recommendation or did the ship offer a scuba excursion? Do you recall the formal nights since were trying to figure out the best night for the speciality restaurant (we don't want to miss the lobster in the main dining room?)

Hi:) thanks for the mini-review...will be sailing her Dec 11th....

Do you recall who the Social Hostess is? And the Cruise Director?

Did you try "OceanLiners"? If so, how was its?

I am doing the RiverTubing in Dominicia...heard it is alot of fun...did you happen to speak with anyone who did that tour? Just wondered about any feedback.

Thanks again:).

Elaineo...My family and I are sailing on Connie this Saturday. Can you tell me if there is any cost to go to the beach on Catalina? We were thinking of doing the Bayahibe Beach Break excursion. Are they the same thing? Thanks for your help. We're very excited about our first Celebrity cruise!

Karen

there is no cost for the catalina beach--even lunch is included (celebrity buffet they set up with ribs, chicken, burgers, dogs, fruit, salads, desserts, tea, lemonade). sodas and alcohol can be purchased for same price as on ship. b/c they stopped at catalina, the other beach break excursion was not offered. I would confirm with celebrity that they are stopping at catalina.

formal nights were the all sea day and antigua day.

I was on cruise addicts and they have a picture of the Constellation since it was in drydock. I guess that, currently, I prefer the entire hull painted dark blue. But, folks, that's is just my opinion. Obviously, I'm in the minority. :o

Stokes,

If I were you, I would cancel the Bayahibe Beach Break. We were at Catalina Island a few years ago, and we liked it very much. And with free lunch, it is a good choice.:)

thanks for the mini review. Regarding Dominica, do you have a dive operator recommendation or did the ship offer a scuba excursion? Do you recall the formal nights since were trying to figure out the best night for the speciality restaurant (we don't want to miss the lobster in the main dining room?)

There are two good dive operators in Dominica. I'm pretty sure that Dive Dominica is the one doing Celebrity's excursions. Good operation, but from what's advertised in the excursions description, they're really restricting bottom times and depths.

The other dive operator, Nature Island Divers, has confirmed to me they are *not* operating the ship's excursions (though they do for other lines). They will arrange pick up at the pier and give you 2-tank dives.

Let me know if you need contact information. I have no problem recommending either operator and if you're a diver, DON'T miss Dominica! Can't wait to go back on the Connie next month :)

Burbunny: thanks for the info. My friend and I are divers and are trying to decide the best ports to dive vs excursions or beach. We're on the 1-22 sailing on the Connie and still do not know if the ship will stop in Grenada or Dominica (the latter is now the announced port thru Dec).

We're on the 1-22 sailing on the Connie and still do not know if the ship will stop in Grenada or Dominica (the latter is now the announced port thru Dec).
I've posted this somewhere on these boards before.

My g/f is currently working on the Constellation. After speaking with Shore Excursions, she was told that they would most likely return here in January depending on the state of the island's cleanup and general readiness (hurrah!!).

Given that things are progressing nicely down here and that several lines have already returned e.g. NCL, Princess, there is a good chance that they will as well.

Keep in mind that this is not official and most certainly not definite.

Hi Elaineo,

One of the major changes effected during the dry dock of the Constellation was the Reflections lounge. Could you please tell us something about what that area is like now, and how the Cirque de Suliel operation is working in that area? Did you attend the Cirque du Soliel show, and if so is it worth the additional expense? Thanks for any information you can provide. We are booked on the Connie for a Baltic cruise in May and are really interested in the changes that have been made.

Peter

Thanks for the prompt reply Elaineo. I know that there was some major structural work that went into the Reflections area, but had thought that the work had been completed. I was really interested in knowing if this space was to be multi use or dedicated to the Edge of the World theme. Looks like we are going to have to wait a while to hear about the new venue. With the new Captains Club/Crown and Anchor merger there will be a real need for a space such as Reflections to host all of the select and elite members for the recognition party.

Peter

Elaine,

We bumped into the Connie during your cruise at St. Thomas...I was on the Summit 10-day. First time seeing her with the new paint job.

I had been wondering about the Cirque Du Soleil room...I thought that is what she was in dry dock to take care of, so I assumed it would have been finished!?

Questions: I thought the main show lounge would be for Cirque...but by the sound of it, it will be in the deck 11 forward lounge. Is this correct? It will be interesting to see how a lounge that small will support all of their fancy gymnastic and acrobatic gear...that's why I assumed the main theater would get the show.

I would hope that lounge will still be in use for other things - the revelations lounge on Summit was probably my primary lounge on our cruise...trivia, bingo, battle of sexes, nightclub, late night band, dancing, and other things were always going on in there.

Any word? And where was all this stuff held if Reflections wasn't open?

As I understand it it will be a cirque themed bar with some minor show type things. One night will be the masquarade ball. It will not be a full blown cirque de soliel [performance. Just lots of Cirque elemnts. it will be interesting to hear what the first cruisers to experience it will have to say

Archived