Q about Key West and Car Seats

FOURunderFOUR

I am NOT a high strung person by nature....I have no clue why I am getting so stressed out about this trip.

We will be in Key West on Sunday and were planning on attending Catholic Mass. We don't like to miss church, even when on vacation, unless it is absolutely unavoidable. We found a church about 2 miles from the port that has compatible mass times. However, two miles is a bit out of our walking range with 5 kids (and a DH who had back surgery less than 6 weeks ago). So here comes the car seat issue again. Does anyone know if Key WEst follows the same car seat rules as Florida - under 3 in a separate car seat, 4 and 5 can use the car's seat belts? I am so NOT looking forward to getting on and off the ship with our car seats, but I guess I don't have many options. Has anyone been in Key West that has other suggestions?

Thanks

J

Yes, rugrats is correct, the same law applies in Key West as the main land.

It seems there should be a church closer than the one you were looking at that is less than a 2 mile walk. Were you looking at the one on Truman St?? There are 5 or 6 churches near Duvall St which would be a nicer walk from the ship.

The other option is to check with the cruise line for Sunday service, it seems to me that most of them offer service on Saturday evenings or Sunday mornings....

Hope that helps...

I posted this on your other thread; but I'll do it again.

Have you considered renting the car seats, boosters, & strollers? I have a friend with 7 children and she rents all the time when they go to Disney World.

http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/baby-equipment-rentals-florida.htm

In KEY WEST http://www.babychicksrental.com/pages/items.html

In KEY WEST http://www.holidaybabykw.com/equipment.htm

I can't imagine how you will be able to store everything, 7 people, at least 10 suitcases plus strollers, car seats, booster seats.....WOW.

The other option is to check with the cruise line for Sunday service, it seems to me that most of them offer service on Saturday evenings or Sunday mornings....

Hope that helps...

That's what I was thinking. Check with the ship and see if they have a mass. I thought most did.

But yes, Key West is in the US. ;) Follows US laws.

floridagirl68 - Yes, St. Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church on Truman and Windsor. Are there other Catholic churches that are closer? I thought that ships did not offer church services. Not sure how/why I thought that. I have not confirmed for a fact that there is not a Catholic service on board. I did email MSC regarding this a few moths ago but never received a response. A search revealed that Celebrity offers daily Catholic mass, and several others have non-denominational services.

cb at sea - we dock at 7am, but I have no clue how soon we can get off. mass times at the one church I mentioned are 9 and 10:30. Would a trolley be cost effective for the 9 of us and get us there in time? Do you have a link that I can find prices/times/info?

mactrio - I thought about renting, but I would need AT LEAST 3 seats, preferably 5. I would need to rent in Florida on Fri and Sat (to get us from airport to hotel and to port) and again upon our return, PLUS for our port days in Key West and Cozumel (not sure if even possible there). I will deinitely check out the links - thanks for that - but I am not sure if it would be cost effective or practical....although I too am worried about the storage issues :)

crusinmama06 - None of the RCCL have had them. I know several do on the Christmas cruises, but I didn't think they did on a regualr basis (other than Celebrity, which has daily Mass). It is important for us that it be a Catholic Mass adn not just an ecumenical or non-denominational service. If absolutely nothing were available, then we are "off the hook" so to speak. On our previous cruises, DH and I simply said a rosary and some prayers during what would be our typical mass time.

Thanks guys for your help so far!

J

I was going to suggest saying a rosary and actually looking ahead to that weeks readings and doing your own prayers. I know that on our church website Fr. Danny has weekly readings listed as well as the prayers for the week. We don't like to miss Mass either; but we will the day we leave on our cruise (Sun. 2/22) and our son is one of the altar servers that morning. Our Priest understands and has said it is not a problem to miss.

Don't stress over it. I'll say a prayer for you tonight :) and hopefully some of your stress shall be removed.

Take a trolley to the church--no car seats needed.

I agree. We did the trolley and it took u everywhere in Key West. I'm sure it will take right near the church. The only problem would be getting to the church on time but there are trolleys leaving all the time. You can hop on and off at many stops anytime during your stay.

I agree. We did the trolley and it took u everywhere in Key West. I'm sure it will take right near the church. The only problem would be getting to the church on time but there are trolleys leaving all the time. You can hop on and off at many stops anytime during your stay.

I am assuming there is a trolley stop at the port? Does any one know how much the trolley costs? The timing is an issue. I would love it if we could leave the car seats onboard and not deal with them at all. Especially since we would like to do some other sightseeing/walking around in Key West and would really rather not lug around several car seats. But if we get off the ship and the trolleys aren't running that early (8am Sunday morning) or we can't get to the Church on time, we are out of luck! Can anyone with local knowledge comment??

J

The Trolley or the 'conch tour' is $29 per adult and $14 per kid. I think it's free for under 4.......

You know, my personal opinion is you have a couple of choices here.....

1)walk on uneven payments for 2 miles and enjoy the events they have there (after church) such as southern most point and the cat house...(Hemmingway house) and then walk back.......

2)take the car seats, go to the 'tourist' area where they offer the trolley or conch tour.........check out a private taxi tour....I have to say that a car seat/booster is required to a certain weight in Florida (not just by age) ...

3)see if MSC...has the service for Catholic.....I do know for a fact that RCL and Princess offers these on Sundays......Since you are on a shorter cruise it's not guaranteed that they are offered.... In that case, (no judging here....) you can have your service before or after you leave the cruise....both of which we have done....

I guess my main question back to you is......are you interested in the Catholic services or doing something without the car seats....??:confused:;) I have grown up in Florida and my HUGE Italian/catholic family has spent many, many months in Key West..It's hostoric, not only for the beautiful churches...but it's ties to the US main land during war.........just some thoughts....!!

Sorry for the misinfo.......the laws in Florida is the following:

Up to 20 pounds and 1 year it's rear facing child seat.....toddler's 1-4 AND 40 pounds..ride in forward facing seat....kids age 4 (40 pounds) through 8 (or 4 feet 9 inches tall) booster seat......In any case if your kids are 4 and below they need child seats......

The Trolley or the 'conch tour' is $29 per adult and $14 per kid. I think it's free for under 4.......

You know, my personal opinion is you have a couple of choices here.....

1)walk on uneven payments for 2 miles and enjoy the events they have there (after church) such as southern most point and the cat house...(Hemmingway house) and then walk back.......

2)take the car seats, go to the 'tourist' area where they offer the trolley or conch tour.........check out a private taxi tour....I have to say that a car seat/booster is required to a certain weight in Florida (not just by age) ...

3)see if MSC...has the service for Catholic.....I do know for a fact that RCL and Princess offers these on Sundays......Since you are on a shorter cruise it's not guaranteed that they are offered.... In that case, (no judging here....) you can have your service before or after you leave the cruise....both of which we have done....

I guess my main question back to you is......are you interested in the Catholic services or doing something without the car seats....??:confused:;) I have grown up in Florida and my HUGE Italian/catholic family has spent many, many months in Key West..It's hostoric, not only for the beautiful churches...but it's ties to the US main land during war.........just some thoughts....!!

We got our tickets online and I think they were like $24, a little over a year ago. They give you a little off ordering online. I think it was $12 for our son.

We got our tickets online and I think they were like $24, a little over a year ago. They give you a little off ordering online. I think it was $12 for our son.
That's right Sky! I *think* (think) if you change your mind you can get a refund. It's so much better than walking down Duvall St (which can be a little dicey)!;)

Thanks so much for all the info. I never even thought of the key west board (DUH!!). I'll check it out and the trolley link. The online thing is a good idea. Especially if you don't recommend walking. Would it be "dicey" even on a Sunday during the day?

floridagirl68 - Thanks for your comments too. We are on a 7-night cruise but I could not find anything on the website. Are you sure RCCL offers Catholic mass? The two times we were on they only had non-denom services. As far as our goals in Key West- I guess to do both. Since we happen to be docking on a Sunday and there is a local Catholic Church, we feel it is important to still fulfill our Sunday obligation to attend Mass. However, we are on vacation and DO want to see Key West too. We are just trying to figure out the logistics of doing it all with kids. Thanks for clarifying the car seat info too. Obviously I knew my 3 under 3 would definitely need car seats. I was not sure about the 4 adn 5 year olds, but we were planning on bringing seats or boosters for them on the trip anyways. Now we are certain about the Florida rules. You mentioned walking could be a bit dicey. Is it bad even during the day? The main things we have thought about doing were the Lighthouse and possibly Hemingway's house. Alot depends on what the kids are actually up for :)

J

Thanks so much for all the info. I never even thought of the key west board (DUH!!). I'll check it out and the trolley link. The online thing is a good idea. Especially if you don't recommend walking. Would it be "dicey" even on a Sunday during the day?

floridagirl68 - Thanks for your comments too. We are on a 7-night cruise but I could not find anything on the website. Are you sure RCCL offers Catholic mass? The two times we were on they only had non-denom services. As far as our goals in Key West- I guess to do both. Since we happen to be docking on a Sunday and there is a local Catholic Church, we feel it is important to still fulfill our Sunday obligation to attend Mass. However, we are on vacation and DO want to see Key West too. We are just trying to figure out the logistics of doing it all with kids. Thanks for clarifying the car seat info too. Obviously I knew my 3 under 3 would definitely need car seats. I was not sure about the 4 adn 5 year olds, but we were planning on bringing seats or boosters for them on the trip anyways. Now we are certain about the Florida rules. You mentioned walking could be a bit dicey. Is it bad even during the day? The main things we have thought about doing were the Lighthouse and possibly Hemingway's house. Alot depends on what the kids are actually up for :)

J

You are so welcome! I just want the kids to be safe;) Key West is a great little community and I love it! I love the history of it and I think the trolley or conch train gives a great tour plus opportunities to stop at popular places.... There are some experiences on the Key West board that are similar to the ones I have seen.

Yes, RCL had a Catholic service on one of our trips...

I'm looking forward to hearing about when you get back!!

Growing up Catholic I was always told that if I couldn't make a Catholic mass, an Episcopal mass would do. I remember being in Key West and walking from the port (my kids were 8 months and 4 years) and seeing an Episcopal Church. No clue if that would be of interest, but maybe it would be closer?

Sorry for the misinfo.......the laws in Florida is the following:

Up to 20 pounds and 1 year it's rear facing child seat.....toddler's 1-4 AND 40 pounds..ride in forward facing seat....kids age 4 (40 pounds) through 8 (or 4 feet 9 inches tall) booster seat......In any case if your kids are 4 and below they need child seats......

You are incorrect about the law. It is:

Parents and those transporting children should be aware of Florida Restraint Law. All children 5 years of age or young must be properly restrained no matter where the child is seated in the vehicle. Children through the age of 3 must be secured in a separate carrier or manufacturer's integrated safety seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, in integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used.

So 4 and 5 year olds may ride in a car using seat belts provided.

To OP why not just take a couple of cabs to church!

So 4 and 5 year olds may ride in a car using seat belts provided.

Geesh Florida has lax car seat laws. I never realized how different they are from PA. Here in PA, kids 4-8 must ride in boosters.

My oldest just got out of hers (she is turning 9) :eek:

Geesh Florida has lax car seat laws. I never realized how different they are from PA. Here in PA, kids 4-8 must ride in boosters.

Yup. In NY it is 8 years AND 80 pounds. I read what the previous poster wrote about the Florida law, but I am not comfortable with my barely 40 pound 4 and 5 year old's in nothing other than a seat belt. So we will have a booster for our 5 year old and SOMETHING (either a booster or a regular car seat - just not sure I want to lug THREE britax behemoths!)

J

You are incorrect about the law. It is:

Regardless of the law, I am not sure I am personally comfortable with my 4 and 5 year olds in nothing but a seat belt! Our original plan was to take cabs, but then the issue is what to do with the car seats after we go to mass (and DURING mass). I guess that is probably what we will end up doing. Then we can decide what to do with them at that point, Maybe one of us can run them back to the pier if there is somewhere to store them until we reboard? I don't know how easy/quick it will be to get on/off the ship, and whether it would be time worthy to take them all the way back to our cabin. We'll just play it by ear.

J

I hear ya! My daughter is almost 8 and is still in a full five point harness carseat. I'm shocked when I see little ones half her age just in the seatbelts. Weird!

To the OP: Honestly: I'd find a way to get around without the carseats. That will be NO fun at all! You'll spend all your time and energy worrying about where to store them, how to transport them, etc.

How about a seat belt safety harness. My SIL brought hers to WDW with them to use on public transportation. I bet your local babies r us or a store like that would have them. They would all fold and fit into a diaper bag.

I got the pictures from a google search on seat belt safety harness for children.

13347_2.jpg

13347_3.jpg

13347_1.jpg

Can’t bring your car seat with you? Bring this 4 lb. miracle along instead! It turns any seat belt into an instant five-point safety harness. Perfect for city dwellers, Grandma’s car, vacations, and carpooling — folds flat to fit in a tote bag or carry-on. Unlike other kids’ travel vests, it has a dropdown seat for a more secure fit. Now featuring ultra-padded Eddie Bauer® upholstery. Supports kids 22-40 lbs. (34-43"H). Imported Buy from One Step Ahead.

http://onestepahead.com/home.jsp

Archived