Tanning Time is Here AGAIN !!!!!!!

LUV2CRUZalso

We are 31 days out from our next sailing on a beautiful Holland America ship. This time it is the Vista Class Noordam! We traditionally get a 30-day pass for tanning before our Caribbean Cruises so we don't fry during the cruise itself. And guess what... we started tanning this morning, so that means we are on our way...... YIPPEE!!!!

Any others out there who have similar preparations?

Happy Cruising!!!!!

Denny & Karen ;):p

We too get pre tanned for the beaches on a cruise, thats part of a caribbean vacation to us. Some people just love to rain on others parades dont let them get you down. Enjoy your pre cruise rituals and all your beach time when you sail the Noordam!

Thanks Twinkle ... and thanks for hte advice babr

Denny & Karen :confused::o

I meant to say more, but I am trying to get ready to leave today! We're on the Noordam this week! Yippee... :) I don't really have any pre-cruise rituals, except to not forget our passports.

Hope you both have a wonderful cruise! :)

I like to book my cruises close enough together so that my tan hasn't faded from the last one.:D

We have used tanning beds in the past, although life seems to be so busy these days we never get to them now before we leave.

I will be spending a week in the Bahamas prior to my two week Westerdam cruise, so I'll use that as "pre-tan" time:D

I always pre-tan. I hate to be on vacation with a burn, even when I use sunscreen. I know the risks of using a tanning bed, or the sun for that matter. I also know that you can drown in a teaspoon of water, I still go swimming. My point is lots of things are dangerous, we just pick and choose which one is more important.

Have a great day!

Henepup

My skin is so frosty white that tanning, whether done by the sun or a tanning bed, is simply not an option. If I could tan, I certainly would give it a try. I make do with self-tanners, lots of shade, and SPF 50.

Oh, you and me both! We don't tan here in the PNW, we rust! :p:p

I find it strange that scolding people who like to get a tan is acceptable in our culture today. Say someone started a post asking opinions on a big girl dress, like a size 20. It would be terrible if people came along and started reprimanding the poster and making snide remarks about their weight. In fact, most people would say 'go for it!, 'looks great!'. Why are the rules so different for people who like to get a tan? There are risks involved with tanning and being overweight, but people feel free to judge those that like a little sun. I just don't get it.

LUV2CRUZalso, have a wonderful cruise on the Noordam!

This thread reveals a kind of thinking that allows people to continue certain behavior even when they know there are real risks involved. Maybe it is called denial. That would explain why there are plenty of folks who still smoke, too.

Interesting, isn't it?

Life in general is fairly risky. My wife has renal failure - did she do anything wrong? - not that I am aware of. As the expression goes "Nobody gets out of here alive". Even Houdini didn't make it back.

I find it funny, no matter what the topic, smoking,tanning, eating, it always seems to manage to swerve to pros, cons, and a general controversy, lets all agree to disagree and concentrate on the one thing we all manage to love and that would be CRUISING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have fun everyone!

WOW... we certainly did not mean to stir up a controversy. Thank you all for your comments - we just meant to express the joy we have for our pending cruise. Some people would light up a cigar in celebration - we are not passing judgement on anyone. The feeling that we are now "judged" makes one not want to participate in these threads. debmkay hit it on the head! Let's all concentrate on the love of cruising, regardless of how we prepare - certainly we will not be judging anyone but rather rejoicing in their joy for the hobby we all love. If your intent is to force beliefs on others, some things are better left unstated.

Happy Sailing to All...... :D:D

well, don't let it get to you, you have more postings than me so you know how it goes! I just love to cruise and I do lots of things that cause controversy. I tan at home (I live in Florida) and tanning bed in winter months just recently. I did smoke, big controversy ( I am very polite when I was doing it) and hubby smokes cigars in the evening only on cruises ( go figure) anyways the point being we are all different and enjoy different things and I think that we should do what we enjoy and express what we enjoy or not on this board. That is what it is for, not to lecture and push yours, mine or our beliefs :)

Say someone started a post asking opinions on a big girl dress, like a size 20. It would be terrible if people came along and started reprimanding the poster and making snide remarks about their weight. In fact, most people would say 'go for it!, 'looks great!'. Why are the rules so different for people who like to get a tan? There are risks involved with tanning and being overweight, but people feel free to judge those that like a little sun. I just don't get it.

I guess you've never seen some of the smoking threads turn nasty. Some of the smokers say that they s/b controlling the portions overweight people have. Also love the perfume comments on those threads. Anyway....everybody (or most people) has some sort of vice they they know may not be healthy. I guess some people feel it's their right to preach.

To the OP...have a great cruise.

We sail two weeks from Saturday and just realized this week that we haven't started tanning yet. Not to sound crass, but I don't need a lecture...almost anything we do anymore can cause something bad to happen to us. :( If I didn't want anything to happen to me in life I would not drink, eat, tan or basically go outside...I would live in a bubble of my own and never leave. :eek: Since that is not an option...I have my vices and this just happens to be one of them...and at least my vice doesn't kill others as well (smoking...).

I love to tan because I find it relaxing and find that not only does it keep me from burning in the Caribbean, it helps my tan to last longer when we get back...and I'll do anything to stay in the cruise mode longer. :D

Happy sailing!!!! :)

Archived