Wine or alcoholic drink card or all inclusive?

mae

Was just reading the thread about allowing wine to be brought on board and wondered if Princess would ever consider this option. I would like cruises to be as all inclusive as possible. I think it would be great if those wanting to consume the drink of the day, wine, mixed drinks, whatever, could do so by paying an extra charge at the time of booking the cruise that would include all drinks. I'd love to do this rather than have to swipe the card each time I order a drink. Or even an alcoholic drink sticker much like the soda sticker, much pricer of course. I'd rather pay a couple of hundred per person up front and not have to think anymore about it. Those who would rather pay per drink could do it on an individual basis. Go ahead fire away and tell me that this wouldn't work.

Ok, I'm going to answer my own question. The abuse of alcohol. I can figure this part out. I'm thinking about those of us who would not use it for just the sake of getting drunk but just want a drink with dinner, at the pool or with friends. I know the probable answer would be that there are those who would abuse the alcohol card. Maybe the open ocean would not be a good place for an all inclusive.

A couple hundred? My liquor bill for two of us is usually close to $1,300 for a 7 day cruise. Princess would lose money on us!! :D

While fountain soda is very cheap, alcohol isn't. I don't think Princess could ever come up with a price for such a card that everyone would agree to pay. Some of us drink more, some people drink less.

But I would first in line if they did! :cool:

Was just reading the thread about allowing wine to be brought on board and wondered if Princess would ever consider this option. I would like cruises to be as all inclusive as possible. I think it would be great if those wanting to consume the drink of the day, wine, mixed drinks, whatever, could do so by paying an extra charge at the time of booking the cruise that would include all drinks. I'd love to do this rather than have to swipe the card each time I order a drink. Or even an alcoholic drink sticker much like the soda sticker, much pricer of course. I'd rather pay a couple of hundred per person up front and not have to think anymore about it. Those who would rather pay per drink could do it on an individual basis. Go ahead fire away and tell me that this wouldn't work.

It would be a lot more than $200 a person. I have seen so many people that their alcohol bill on a 7 day cruise be over $2,000. Ours is usually on $200 to $300.

I suppose I based the $200 a person what our drink bill usually is. I know there are many that are much higher. We travel with others who can easily double or triple that. I guess I was averaging. Maybe a drink of the day punch card would be a better idea.

I suppose I based the $200 a person what our drink bill usually is. I know there are many that are much higher. We travel with others who can easily double or triple that. I guess I was averaging. Maybe a drink of the day punch card would be a better idea.

I would not count on this happening anytime soon. They make way too much on their drinks sold onboard, and right now, all cruise lines are looking to increase passengers onboad spending to get buy.

I have sailed with some passengers that if the cruise line was all inclusive, they would need to add several thousands to their cruise price just to cover their drinks.

Lots of all inclusive land vacations out there for those that would like everything included, but even the high end cruise lines, that cost double, triple or more than Princess charges don't include all drinks onboard with their cruise fare.

I agree, that an unlimited card would not be the best way to go, but what about a punch card like the coffee card? I know that by buying in bulk, I would end up buying more drinks than I generally do when buying by the glass. Plus if passengers have too many drinks and lose the card more profit for Princess.

I agree, that an unlimited card would not be the best way to go, but what about a punch card like the coffee card? I know that by buying in bulk, I would end up buying more drinks than I generally do when buying by the glass. Plus if passengers have too many drinks and lose the card more profit for Princess.

On my last cruise, several people had a blue and white sticker that got them unlimited drinks, it was through their TA for some sort of group booking, however.

Was just reading the thread about allowing wine to be brought on board and wondered if Princess would ever consider this option.

Correct me if I'm wrong, fellow cruisers, but I thought you were allowed to bring a certain amount of wine on board, per cabin? I may be thinking of something else, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, fellow cruisers, but I thought you were allowed to bring a certain amount of wine on board, per cabin? I may be thinking of something else, though.

Per the "Passage Contract"

Passenger hereby agrees not to bring alcoholic beverags of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for coinsumption.

Lots of all inclusive land vacations out there for those that would like everything included, but even the high end cruise lines, that cost double, triple or more than Princess charges don't include all drinks onboard with their cruise fare.

I Believe that Regent 7 seas cruise line is an all inclusive.

This is actually the system they used to use for drinks on the late-great Windjammer Cruiseline that went under a couple of years ago. You bought "bar dabloons" for $10, and each drink was a certain number of punches. It actually worked rather well!

Was just reading the thread about allowing wine to be brought on board and wondered if Princess would ever consider this option. I would like cruises to be as all inclusive as possible.

The best way to make it "all inclusive" is to bring your own. Princess lets you bring one bottle of wine per person for sailaway, and if you want to do your own mixed drinks, check out the Rum Runner flasks. I used them on my last cruise out, and they were great!

www.rumrunnerflasks.com

The best way to make it "all inclusive" is to bring your own. Princess lets you bring one bottle of wine per person for sailaway, and if you want to do your own mixed drinks, check out the Rum Runner flasks. I used them on my last cruise out, and they were great!

www.rumrunnerflasks.com

And I thought that in my life I had seen it all!

I would not count on this happening anytime soon. They make way too much on their drinks sold onboard, and right now, all cruise lines are looking to increase passengers onboad spending to get buy.

I have sailed with some passengers that if the cruise line was all inclusive, they would need to add several thousands to their cruise price just to cover their drinks.

Regent is all-inclusive on all three of their ships. All drinks (tips, too!) are included in your fare; you aren't charged for anything on their ships - even the self-serve laundry is free, and they serve excellent wines with every meal - the only problem is you actually need to cover your glass at dinner to keep them from "topping it up". I think most people would likely find they drink less when it is all-inclusive; at least, that is the case with us.

A couple hundred? My liquor bill for two of us is usually close to $1,300 for a 7 day cruise. Princess would lose money on us!! :D

While fountain soda is very cheap, alcohol isn't. I don't think Princess could ever come up with a price for such a card that everyone would agree to pay. Some of us drink more, some people drink less.

But I would first in line if they did! :cool:

How does that happen? It happens to me too on every cruise. Our bar bill is usually $ 1000 - $ 1300 per cruise. I wish I knew where it all goes?:rolleyes:

Oh, well, al least we have fun!:D

If they had this option, I would prepay $ 50.00 Per person for an all inclusive option. Heck, I would pay $ 80.00 per person!

There were posts about it. But now I seem to recall that the "free drink" sticker was valid only for the group reception in a lounge each evening of the cruise. Someone posted even the procedure for any group to purchase it. The required minimum size of the group was 20. I will try to do a search.

Anyone else remember the post?

You are correct. Yes -- it exists for a special group booking

What kind of special group booking?

How does that happen? It happens to me too on every cruise. Our bar bill is usually $ 1000 - $ 1300 per cruise. I wish I knew where it all goes?:rolleyes:

Oh, well, al least we have fun!:D

If they had this option, I would prepay $ 50.00 Per person for an all inclusive option. Heck, I would pay $ 80.00 per person!

That should have read per person/per day!

You can always figure out a budget that you want to spend towards drinks and make a pre payment towards your onboard account once you arrive. The average price of a drink is about $6.00 plus 15% gratuity. On our last 7 day cruise we spent about $358.00 for drinks. This included 2 kids ultimate drink cards and one soda card. We didn't drink much. We purchased a bottle of wine twice at dinner and a few other drinks during the week. I am way beyond drinking all day and night especially when we are sailing with our teenage sons. Our next cruise we will be traveling without the kids so maybe I will drink my way through the Martini menu. After all I will be saving $21.00 a day in auto tip fees by not bringing them.

There were posts about it. But now I seem to recall that the "free drink" sticker was valid only for the group reception in a lounge each evening of the cruise. Someone posted even the procedure for any group to purchase it. The required minimum size of the group was 20. I will try to do a search.

Anyone else remember the post?

I know when a Cruise Critic meet and greet is planned, one option the ship gives is to have drinks included at the M&G at a fixed price per person. I guess the stickers indicate who paid that. So, I assume this option is available to any group that reserves time in a bar area.

However, I have never seen a M&G that has done it.

Archived