Anse Cochon beach or Jalousie Beach

teresapink

Do these beaches have chair/umbrella rentals? If so does anyone know the price? We will be on a tour so I'm not really sure how much time we will be spending at the beach, but it's a good thing to know, I guess.

Thanks-

Teresa

We went to Jaloise and it was nothing short of paradise. I could have done a whole week at Jaloise. I've never been to Anse Cochon, so I really can't compare the two. But I can say that we are definitely going back to Jaloise on our next visit to St Lucia.

Nobody said anything to us about paying $20 for a beach chair. We just walked up and sat on 2 vacant chairs that were underneath a thatched umbrella. I guess that maybe ignorance is bliss.

I have read about people going to Jalousie on an island tour and sitting on a chair for about an hour and not having to pay for it. I e-mailed Jalousie and told them I would like to come and spend a few hours there and also have lunch. They welcomed me with open arms but told me the beach chairs would cost $20 each.

I agree with BBQ Lover....we were there (Jalousie)last week and could have stayed forever. We also used the loungers without paying, truly out of ignorance. Our driver didn't advise us of any fees, and nobody approached to inform us. This also was a case of "ignorance is bliss".

We did patronize their beach front restaurant for lunch, so I'm not feeling guilty about the lack of pymt just for the loungers.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I were married at TiKaye in the summer of 06, so spent a ton of time at anse cochon (tikaye resort is joined to the beach by way of a longg stair case).. it's a great beach with fantastic snorkeling. There are folks trying to sell their wares, but they are polite if you tell them you're not interested. We actually got to know some of them in our 2 weeks there. Of course I can't speak to the Hilton beach but I doubt you'd be disappointed with AC.

Emerald Princess 2/28/2009

We've snorkeled Anse Cochon 3 times. The first time we contacted Ti Kaye Village directly and arrange a day package through them, which included transportation to and from Pt. Seraphine, the cruise ship port in Castries, lunch at the lovely restaurant at the top of those very long stairs, use of loungers and umbrellas, use of the resort's water equipment, and their snorkel equipment. By the time we returned, they had formed a dive shop, Island Divers, to handle their diving & snorkeling, and we've used Island Divers twice. The package has included use of the loungers and umbrellas (not available to people not booked through the resort or Island Divers), transportation to and from Pt. Seraphine, lunch at the newer restaurant on the beach, equipment, if needed (wetsuits are $10.00 extra), and if you want to go to Jalousie, you can go on the dive boat with the divers. I'm not sure if you get lunch if you go over to Jalousie, as we've stayed at Anse Cochon both times - we really like the snorkeling at Anse Cochon. As mentioned above, there are vendors, but they'll leave you alone if you tell them no.

Jalousie is not "right next" - it would require boat or auto transfer.

Map with location of Anse Cochon: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wiol.com/st-lucia/tikaye/map2.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.wiol.com/st-lucia/tikaye/map.html&usg=__Ix1c83CLh5THBg1j_xsK57ae1YI=&h=597&w=504&sz=45&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=dSgbiEddYXFJjM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Danse%2Bcochon%2Bst.%2Blucia%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Jalousie is beyond Soufriere.

We did patronize their beach front restaurant for lunch, so I'm not feeling guilty about the lack of pymt just for the loungers.

Corrine, can you tell me about that restaurant please. What types of food and costs too. We are thinking of some place for lunch and our guide is suggesting The Still. But, we would be interested to know what types of lunches would be available at the beach since we will be stopping there for some snorkeling as well.

Linda

Corrine, can you tell me about that restaurant please. What types of food and costs too. We are thinking of some place for lunch and our guide is suggesting The Still. But, we would be interested to know what types of lunches would be available at the beach since we will be stopping there for some snorkeling as well.

Linda

Hi Linda, Who have you chosen for your guide? We used Cosol last year when we were there and just loved him! If you have any questions just ask me! Nancie

Linda

I can't recall their menu too well, but both DH and I had burgers, and inlaws had fish. The burgers/fries were good, and 16.00 each. I am the sure the fish was a similiar cost. They had a buffet, but not worth the cost of 35.00 or so. We were not surprised by the cost, as I heard you pay that even at Cockleshell Beach on St Kitts, and that is more "fast food". This was a beautiful outdoor restaurant with a beautiful setting. I did not spend much time in the restaurant....ordered my lunch, sat in the sun while waiting for it, ate my lunch in the restaurant and immediately left to get back in the sun.

Thanks Corrine. Since I've read good reports on The Still and their buffet is only $15 I guess we will stick with what has been suggested for us.

Nancie, our guide by the way is Spencer Ambrose. If you and your husband are interested in joining the tour we lined up, just let me know. As you can see from our rollcall, we have lost of few of people (due to cancelled cruises from the economic situation) that were going to do the tour with us. I'm hoping we can get a couple more couples to join us that day.

Linda

• 3 years later...

Jalousie and Anse Chastenet are both expensive. Anse Chastenet has black sand that you cannot sit or lay on it. You must wear your shoes at all times. They quickly run out of thatched huts with chairs to rent. The beach guys are great...as are the frozen drinks. The lunch buffet is expensive, but good. Workers in the resort are pretty snooty.

Jalousie had white imported sand when I was there. It is a step above Anse Chastenet, but the snorkeling was scary for me...too much of a drop off...too quickly!

Anse Cochran is extremely plain. No luxury area, but it is so remote that the snorkeling is amazing! We saw all kinds of marine life...some pretty scary. On the downside...cruise boat's loud party boats ride in and park and everything changes. Anse Chastenet and Jalousie don't usually have that.

I was just looking at photos on tripadvisor site on Jalosie beach, and noted some very nice lounge chairs, then a photo of some basic plastic chairs labeled 'public beach area"

So my question is, for the $20 per chair mentioned in these posts, is that for the resort looking chairs, or the public plastic looking chairs?

I was just looking at photos on tripadvisor site on Jalosie beach, and noted some very nice lounge chairs, then a photo of some basic plastic chairs labeled 'public beach area"

So my question is, for the $20 per chair mentioned in these posts, is that for the resort looking chairs, or the public plastic looking chairs?

Yes, the $20 per chair is for the more comfortable resort type chairs - but not the beds that have been added when the resort re-branded to Sugar Beach recently. Those are exclusively for resort guests. The for rent chairs are padded, more comfortable.

The entire beach (ALL beaches in St. Lucia) is public - you can put your towel down anywhere you want all along the beach - you do not have to stay on the side or anything. Resort property is of course, resort property, so you can't use the umbrellas or chairs without renting them, but the beach itself - all public. Stroll along, swim where you want, and so forth.

Enjoy your visit!

Jalousie and Anse Chastenet are both expensive. Anse Chastenet has black sand that you cannot sit or lay on it. You must wear your shoes at all times. They quickly run out of thatched huts with chairs to rent. The beach guys are great...as are the frozen drinks. The lunch buffet is expensive, but good. Workers in the resort are pretty snooty.

Jalousie had white imported sand when I was there. It is a step above Anse Chastenet, but the snorkeling was scary for me...too much of a drop off...too quickly!

Anse Cochran is extremely plain. No luxury area, but it is so remote that the snorkeling is amazing! We saw all kinds of marine life...some pretty scary. On the downside...cruise boat's loud party boats ride in and park and everything changes. Anse Chastenet and Jalousie don't usually have that.

We do the Island Divers day package at Anse Cochon every year. First, the cats never have loud music playing when they are there, and the area is big enough that we are never bothered by the cats or their passengers.

Ti Kaye has really upgraded the beach area since we were there last year. We were excited to see that there is lovely landscaping now, and they've added beautiful beach cabanas, wood with canopy-like cloth covers, each with 2 very comfortable wood loungers with thick, comfy cushions. The cabanas are available to day pass guests at no extra charge.

I have read conflicting reports on here about using the 'public' beach at Jalousie. I know there is an area near the jetty with some old plastic chairs - is this the only area you are allowed to use or can you lay down towels anywhere on the beach ? I am thinking of booking a Jalousie Beach tour but want to be sure we can sit where we like. I don't expect to be able to use any of the hotel facilities but do want to be able to use the whole beach. Thanks

Yes, the $20 per chair is for the more comfortable resort type chairs - but not the beds that have been added when the resort re-branded to Sugar Beach recently. Those are exclusively for resort guests. The for rent chairs are padded, more comfortable.

The entire beach (ALL beaches in St. Lucia) is public - you can put your towel down anywhere you want all along the beach - you do not have to stay on the side or anything. Resort property is of course, resort property, so you can't use the umbrellas or chairs without renting them, but the beach itself - all public. Stroll along, swim where you want, and so forth.

Enjoy your visit!

bee-ess: From the post 2 before yours.....

We do the Island Divers day package at Anse Cochon every year. First, the cats never have loud music playing when they are there, and the area is big enough that we are never bothered by the cats or their passengers.

Ti Kaye has really upgraded the beach area since we were there last year. We were excited to see that there is lovely landscaping now, and they've added beautiful beach cabanas, wood with canopy-like cloth covers, each with 2 very comfortable wood loungers with thick, comfy cushions. The cabanas are available to day pass guests at no extra charge.

Thank you for the update. We really enjoy snorkeling so I e-mailed Island Divers for more information. They responded quickly and provided additional information.

I think this may be the best option for us.

Archived