1 Suitcase, can it be done?

CanWeGoYet?

I am planning for a longer cruise than I have gone on before, a 14 day transatlantic this spring. We will be spending a night in Miami and then 3 more nights at the end of the cruise in the UK.

It would be easier to pack light & do laundry on board, but this time we sail with Celebrity and there is no self serve laundry. Per piece laundry charges are not what I would call "nominal," I can hand launder some items but will have to send heavier items off to the ships laundry.

Since we will take the train with all our cruise luggage on to london, I've heard it would be smarter to have only 1 suitcase & carry on each. Tough time of year & area to predict weather & temperatures. Does this sound doable? Looking for advice - could you pack for this itinerary with just 1 suitcase & manage? Any packing strategies will be greatly appreciated. I'm torn between wanting to stuff 1 bag, and thinking if 1 have 2 cases at least I will be less likely to be slapped with overweight baggage fees at the airport.

This past October we were gone 19 days. I packed in one 24 inch suitcase, one carry on and my purse, a medium sized nylon with lots of pockets.

We did use the laundry services, most of our stuff we would wear twice if possible before laundering or dry cleaning. I washed my unmentionables out in the sink about every 5 days, it all dried during the day when we were in port.

Our laundry charges came to about $100. A lot less than excess baggage fees would have been, easier to carry (my bags hook together with an add a bag strap) and a whole lot less than buying more clothes to take along.

Packing knits that are easy to care for is the trick, also packing tops and pants that can mix and match. I'd have to say the pax we noticed were all doing the same thing as us.

That is impressive, KS. Your 1 suitcase is a little smaller than either I had planned on bringing. Thanks for the input, DS and I should be able to get by w/ at least 1 less suitcase. Our bags will hook together, garment bag has no wheels but is smaller & can be hooked on to one that does.

Celebrity usually has a mid-week laundry special, like $25 for everything stuffed into the paper bag. The only problem is that the clothing is usually delivered they day before you disembark. But you'd have clean clothing for your three post-cruise days.

We did 12-nights with just 1 suitcase and a carry on last year. But I did use the laundry and dry cleaning service (we were also on Celebrity). I spent a grand total of about $35 to have a lot of items cleaned (slacks, tops, jeans), and although you may not think it is nominal, you have to decide if it is worthwhile for you to spend a bit of money and not have to haul around an extra suitcase. Given the cost of a cruise vacation and the headaches associated with dealing with too much luggage, it's a small price to pay!

We have done a couple of three month trips with one bag each, no problem. The first trip was a cruise from Sydney to San Fran and then three weeks on land around the US, on to a flight to the UK to join a coach tour of Europe for three weeks, a stopover in Dubai and Singapore before flying home to Sydney. The last trip took us from Sydney to Vancouver cruising through Alaska and ending up in Thailand before flying home. It's just a case of mix and match and yes, we did take our formal gear including tux for all the lovely formal evenings. For the colder weather we pack a light weatherproof jacket and some thermal undies! We are from Darwin and really are not used to the cold but we didn't have a problem with the changes in temp. It's a case of layering!

Just sit down and really think about your outfits and do a little laundry along the way and you will have no worries! It is actually quite a revelation to discover how little you are able to manage with. Another little thing, I try and collect lots of tops which are light and don't need ironing. If they don't weigh much and don't get all scrunchy, you can fit more in! Enjoy!

Our Greek Island cruise last September we only took one bag each and we stayed for 22 days. But..Hubby did do a load of laundry half way through the cruise. I also bought a long leather coat in Rhodes and was able to pack it in my suitcase coming home and still be under the weight limit.

It's definitely possible and quite easy if you're willing to send your laundry out to be done. Just lots of mix and match rather than outfits.

yes, OP, it can be done as you can see here, from other posters

for a 2 week land tour of Italy, DH and I each took one piece of carry on luggage (his could also go onto his back) and mine had attached wheels.

on our last cruise (2 weeks to Med./Egypt) via Frankfurt/Rome, we again took only a carry on each, plus I carried a totebag that went under the plane seat. And yes, we did do formal night. DH packed a ltweight suit, and it did not crinkle in his c/on, but if it had, we would have sent it out for pressing (Princess ship)

we now look at purchases with the idea that it be packable, crushable, and yet, look presentable upon arrival. We do use the Princess laundry and I guess that is why I enjoy cruising with Princess.

if you go to the website called onebag.com, it will be very informative ie bundle packing.;)

The longest cruise I've taken to date was a 12-day Med/Egypt cruise with 3 post-cruise days in Rome. I was able to pack for it in 1 25" suitcase and 1 carry-on bag (keeping in mind that it was cooler weather = heavier clothes). I only hand-washed a few tops and underwear, and sent 2 pair of pants out to be washed.

So yes, it is definitely possible. And you'll be very happy you packed light when you are on that train. ;)

Have you heard of CitiKnits? They are made of a elegantly draping fabric but you can roll then into a tiny ball in the suitcase, hang them up and they shed wrinkles instantly. They wash in a sink easily and dry fast without ironing. Get a braided travel clothes line with suction cups and hooks. Wear dark or jewel toned colors and mix and match. You'll look great and pack small.

Andrea

I am planning for a longer cruise than I have gone on before, a 14 day transatlantic this spring. We will be spending a night in Miami and then 3 more nights at the end of the cruise in the UK.

It would be easier to pack light & do laundry on board, but this time we sail with Celebrity and there is no self serve laundry. Per piece laundry charges are not what I would call "nominal," I can hand launder some items but will have to send heavier items off to the ships laundry.

Since we will take the train with all our cruise luggage on to london, I've heard it would be smarter to have only 1 suitcase & carry on each. Tough time of year & area to predict weather & temperatures. Does this sound doable? Looking for advice - could you pack for this itinerary with just 1 suitcase & manage? Any packing strategies will be greatly appreciated. I'm torn between wanting to stuff 1 bag, and thinking if 1 have 2 cases at least I will be less likely to be slapped with overweight baggage fees at the airport.

Archived