Using WiFi on the ship

Aprille

We’ll be on Independence in 25 days. WOOHOO!! :D

Anyway, I have always used the internet café onboard but I’m thinking about bringing my laptop on this cruise. I have a couple of questions.

How do you pay for the service? I know the price is the same as using the internet café but I always buy the largest package to get the best price per minute. The first time you log on does it give you the opportunity to do this? I assume you have to log in sort of like on the internet café computers with your cabin #, etc. Is that right? Do you have to obtain a password or anything to use the WiFi?

Where are the hot spots? We are in a hump cabin deck 9 so hoping we will be close enough to one to get online in the cabin.

I’ve never used the WiFi feature before and I’m somewhat technically challenged. :o I have confirmed that my WiFi adapter meets the ship’s requirements so I’m not a complete dweeb. :p ;)

Okay, sorry, I guess that's more than a couple of questions. :o Any insights greatly appreciated. :)

You'll have to use one of the ship's computers for the first time, just to set up your username and password for the wi-fi service. You won't get charged anything for this.

Once that's done, you can log on using your laptop, where you'll get the Royal Caribbean screen to sign in with your username and password. After you've entered that, you'll be presented with the screen to purchase a package, or to be billed per minute.

Not sure about hotspots for the Independence - I would guess most of the ship would be wired. There's a little brochure you can pick up onboard that will list all the hotspots - every major public room should have a good signal. Used WiFi all the time on the Grandeur without any problems...

How do you pay for the service? I know the price is the same as using the internet café but I always buy the largest package to get the best price per minute. The first time you log on does it give you the opportunity to do this? I assume you have to log in sort of like on the internet café computers with your cabin #, etc. Is that right? Do you have to obtain a password or anything to use the WiFi?

You'll go to the internet cafe and complete a one-time set up of a wifi username and password on one of the cafe PCs. You will then be prompted to enter that username and password when you log into your laptop via wifi. You will also have the opportunity to buy a package of minutes, just like on a cafe PC.

Have a great cruise.

We’ll be on Independence in 25 days. WOOHOO!! :D

Anyway, I have always used the internet café onboard but I’m thinking about bringing my laptop on this cruise. I have a couple of questions.

Any insights greatly appreciated. :)

I use laptop offline onboard and pay about $3 for 30mins, $5 for hour at internet cafes in ports. Happy Sailing and Computing.

Good info from everybody.

I have one other quick question...

Is the WiFi service a decent speed?

We would like to use Ichat and talk to our children while we are away and were wondering if there would be a significant delay that would make it difficult due to delays.

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can use as many computers as you like. Basically you access the net through the intranet website. You will be given an access code and can use that to access the net on either your own or the ships computers; when you subsequently log on to their website you get a screen in your browser which requests your code. Each time you log on you will be told how much time you have left on what you have paid.... keep an eye on that..... it goes down fast!

If you wanted them to be able to use the computers simultaneously...... that could cause problems.... check that out with the staff when you first go to sign up.

Ouch, these are expensive. I was planning on taking a laptop for my pics and to use the net until the hubby got up in the morning, and my daughter use at night. She's 18 and oblivious to time. I wish they had a weekly deal.

I wish they had a weekly deal.
They use to - $100 for unlimited access for 7 night cruises (I belive) but no more. :(

And it's really expensive when you factor in how sloooow the connection is. :rolleyes: But I have elderly parents who like daily updates so I pay the price. ;) I just figure I can compose my emails offline on my laptop and then copy and paste into email once online so that will save some time. :cool:

Thanks again for all the replies! :)

They use to - $100 for unlimited access for 7 night cruises (I belive) but no more. :(

And it's really expensive when you factor in how sloooow the connection is. :rolleyes: But I have elderly parents who like daily updates so I pay the price. ;) I just figure I can compose my emails offline on my laptop and then copy and paste into email once online so that will save some time. :cool:

Thanks again for all the replies! :)

I thought I remembered seeing that. This slow connection is scary sounding. I wish tmobile didn't charge by data usage on their international rate or I could just use my phone for a connection, probably faster too. Sounds like my daughter and I can do without unless i limit her 15 minutes a night.

Is the procedure the same on the Serenade (Radiance class ships)? Are the rooms set up for wifi or a wired connection?

The Freedom class is the only one with wifi throughout the ship.

On Serenade, you have to rely on wifi hotspots.

I have a "do dad" through a cell phone company that plugs into the side of my lap top. I'll be sailing on the Canada/New England cruise out of New Jersey this fall. Do any of you have any knowledge about cell phone coverage on this cruise? I'm thinking that if cell phones have service just off the coast of the north east United States, then maybe this "wireless do dad" might work.

Has anyone used a MAC laptop onboard? I'm thinking of bringing my MAC laptop but won't if there is a problem using WIFI. I'm not sure if it is worth hauling it around South America. It might be more trouble than it is worth. In the past, I have often used internet cafes. Much cheaper and usually much faster than onboard. BUT>>> it would be nice to download our photos each night and keep them really organized.

Barb

Does anyone have experience using a laptop while on the Voyager? To what extent would service be different than on the Independence - Would there be access in cabins, or only in certain hot spots? Thanks.

Voyager does not have wifi in the cabins, unless you happen to be extremely close to a hotspot. You'll have to rely on the hotspots.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived