Formal Dress Questions

BbAaSsSs

My wife and I are doing an 8 nighter in march on IOS and just wondering what the dress should be on our formal nights. We are celebrating out 1st anniversary. My wife wants to know if most cocktail dresses are long or short? I am also wondering how dressy do you have to be? I read something about a tux or at least a dress coat with a tie? I am wondering if you could just get by with slacks and a dress shirt with a tie? I dont have a coat and dont really want to buy one if I dont have to. Any help with the dress codes would be great!

Thanks,

BbAaSsSs

My college aged daughters have accompanied us, on are four previous cruises.

They advise that BOTH long and short cocktail dresses, are appropriate. They have worn both.

I have worn a tux on one cruise, and suit/tie on the last three cruises. If you decide to just wear a dress shirt/tie, that would be fine; you won't be barred from dining. But the vast majority of men will be wearing at least suit/tie.

The degree of "formalness", depends on the cruise line, IMO. Celebrity is very formal, and a tux is almost the norm. RCCL is not quite as formal, and a suit/tie is as popular as a tux.

Hope this helps.

The dress codes are actually recommendations (not mandates) from RCI. It is recommended that men wear suits and women wear gowns. It is not enforced and in reality, there will be people in the dining room that are dressed very casually on formal nights. If you don't have a jacket and don't want to purchase one, you will be fine with a shirt and tie.

Thank you everyone for such a quick response! How much does the tux cost if you rent it from the ship? Also how long is this rental good for?? Could I use the same tux on both the formal nights for only one cost?

Thanks,

BbAaSsSs

If you rent from the ship, it is for the week and is generally $80-100 depending on the package you get, etc. Like others have said, "formal" attire will range from tuxes to jeans and polos ... it would take someone showing up nude or in a bathing suit to be barred from the dining room in my experience. I generally feel comfortable in slacks, dress shirt, and tie.

The dress codes are actually recommendations (not mandates) from RCI. It is recommended that men wear suits and women wear gowns....

Sorry, not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I really must respectfully amend what you've stated here. RCI does not recommend gowns for women. In my experience, only a small minority of the women actually wear floor-length gowns. Most wear cocktail dresses, pantsuits, or dress pants and tops. It would be wrong to mislead people who come to these boards with the statement that gowns are recommended for women, because, quite simply and according to the website's dress code (quoted below), they are not.

"Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women."

Im sorry but just to put my tuppenceworth in, you have to remember that its a formal night and out of respect for who is throwing the reception to dress accordingly. You have been selected out of the rest of the passengers to meet and talk to the various officers onboard the ship, therefore you should make a decent attempt at maintaining the dress code. You are meeting the Captain of the vessel so in a way of thanking him for the invite dress up, a jacket and tie job.

Its the least one can do !!!

How about dressy black capris with a sequined top?

I would not wear capris. Black slacks or even a black skirt with a dressy top and fancy heels or sandals would work if you didn't want to opt for a cocktail or long dress.

If you ever think you will cruise again you might want to consider buying a tux. Mens Wearhouse, S&K as well as JC Penney's have reasonably priced formal wear that you can buy and have altered to fit properly. The cost will be about one and a half the cost of renting.

The reality is that you may not use a tux very often. If I were you, I would either just go for the shirt and tie, or buy a jacket which would be something you could wear often.

You won't be out of place if you don't wear a tuxedo.

The reality is that you may not use a tux very often. If I were you, I would either just go for the shirt and tie, or buy a jacket which would be something you could wear often.

You won't be out of place if you don't wear a tuxedo.

Tux not reqired....

As per RCI's dress code,

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000votJ6_mr1_LPog2Yd-YNQL6:12h3g0fq2;jsessionid=0000Otz_MtjJCpHtElRpiSKki_j:12h3g0fq2?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

Formal: Suits and ties OR tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

If you follow the dress code, you won't be wrong.

I just wanted to clarify on the female clothing: either a long gown or a coctail dress is absolutely fine. I usually see equal numbers of both types on formal night.

And someone mentioned jeans and a nice top for formal night - I have never seen this on formal night, and it is definitely not considered appropriate for formal night (neither are capris).

We have found renting a tux and dress shoes through the ship to be very efficient. It saves on space in packing, and the tux and shoes are waiting in the cabin when you arrive. Includes two shirts so good for both formal nights. We rent for both my son and I, and with wife and daughter dressed up also we have great family pictures taken.

I know this thread is about formal nights, but since it's so active I thought I would ask this here.

On "casual" nights (I am booked on Monarch for a 4 night in Feb 09), are Capri length pants (below the knee) appropriate for women in the dining room?

Thanks-

Melissa

I just wanted to clarify on the female clothing: either a long gown or a coctail dress is absolutely fine. I usually see equal numbers of both types on formal night.

And someone mentioned jeans and a nice top for formal night - I have never seen this on formal night, and it is definitely not considered appropriate for formal night (neither are capris).

I disagree about the gowns. Long gowns are not in vogue. I so see girls wearing gowns from their sweet 16's or proms. If you want to wear a gown, wear one. If you want to wear a short cocktail dress, wear one. If you want to wear a simple dress, or skirt or pants, Wear them. You can wear whatever you WANT because the dress is suggested not mandatory. Who is to say what is "appropriate"? It is all a matter of opinion.

I know this thread is about formal nights, but since it's so active I thought I would ask this here.

On "casual" nights (I am booked on Monarch for a 4 night in Feb 09), are Capri length pants (below the knee) appropriate for women in the dining room?

Thanks-

Melissa

I always bring 2 pairs of nice capris with me to wear on casual nights in the MDR...1 khaki pair and 1 black pair. They are perfectly acceptable with a nice top.

Formal dress (UK) and formal wear (U.S.) are the general terms for clothing suitable for formal social events, such as a wedding, formal garden party or dinner, débutante cotillion, dance, or race. The Western style of formal evening dress, characterised by black and white garments, has spread through many countries; it is almost always the standard formal social dress in countries without a formal national costume.

The dress codes considered formal in the evening are white tie and black tie.

Black tie is a dress code for semi-formal evening events, and is worn to many types of social functions. For a man, the major component is a coat, known as a dinner jacket (British) or tuxedo (Canada and the U.S.), which is usually black but is also seen in midnight blue. A woman's corresponding evening dress ranges from a conservative cocktail dress to the long evening gown, determined by current fashion, local custom, and the occasion's time.

White tie (or evening dress, full evening dress) is the most formal evening dress code. It is worn to events such as balls, the opera, and formal dinners. The chief components for men are the dress coat, white bow tie and waistcoat, and starched shirt, while women wear a suitable dress for the occasion, such as a ball gown.

I disagree about the gowns. Long gowns are not in vogue. I so see girls wearing gowns from their sweet 16's or proms. If you want to wear a gown, wear one. If you want to wear a short cocktail dress, wear one. If you want to wear a simple dress, or skirt or pants, Wear them. You can wear whatever you WANT because the dress is suggested not mandatory. Who is to say what is "appropriate"? It is all a matter of opinion.

Every so often you read a post from someone who "gets it".

Thank you so much.

My wife and I are doing an 8 nighter in march on IOS and just wondering what the dress should be on our formal nights. We are celebrating out 1st anniversary. My wife wants to know if most cocktail dresses are long or short? I am also wondering how dressy do you have to be? I read something about a tux or at least a dress coat with a tie? I am wondering if you could just get by with slacks and a dress shirt with a tie? I dont have a coat and dont really want to buy one if I dont have to. Any help with the dress codes would be great!

Thanks,

BbAaSsSs

My typical response to this question is to coordinate your style of clothing with your mate. If she is dressing to the nines in a great dress either long or short, heels, hair, jewelry and makeup....the whole nine yards, then a dark suit or a tux will look best.

I did not say match :);)

But if she's wearing a simple dress or a top and plain pants, then the shirt with a tie will compliment her style.

I'm perhaps a bit old fashioned, but shirtsleeves with a tie is more water-cooler than dressed up to me. I work a second part time job and our male sales clerks wear shirtsleeves with a tie (and of course pants :p), I don't consider them dressed for anything more than a sales job.

Whatever you choose to wear, Happy Anniversary!

Archived