LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

should i be worried about my cruise?will it be fixed?march 6 2009.explore of the seas

I am sure things will be fixed by March. Most of us are wondering about the next cruise or two.

Interesting thought:

If a prop is damaged, there are two ways to fix the problem First, and the obvious one we are all hoping for, would be to completely repair the damaged prop.

However, there is another solution. If a prop is damaged so it cannot be used, a prop that isn't turning provides a huge amount of drag. If they can't fix the prop, they could remove the blades to reduce drag.

they did lift a BIG thing under a cover out of the water and put it in that blue box thing

Meg - thanks for the report. But I wish you would quit throwing out all this technical jargon that the rest of us can't understand.:D

Seriously, I hope you can relax now and enjoy your vacation. You're a doll to take your time and money to relieve minds. (Our "minds" were on board for the previous cruise when the prop was broken.)

Hey Meg, anything new today? Your our lifeline so we are waiting patiently (of course you need to enjoy your cruise first!).

Thanks for all of your information so far. You have been so kind in keeping us abreast of everything you see and hear going on. My cruise isn't until 3/6 but I can imagine how on edge the cruisers are that are scheduled to get on board this coming week.

Enjoy the warm weather and have a bahama mama on us!

Lisa

Hi Meg,

we are sailing after you and really appreciate the updates. You taking the time out of your vacation is wonderful, and its frustrating to me just reading the boards that they are going a differant way then intended.

Any updates is the propellor fixed? We are on pins and needles we are due to set sail on friday. You are the only person we can get an honest answer from, i called rcl and they stated yes the propellor was fixed before they got to st. thomas, so doesn't do any good to call them. We are thankful we have you.

Once again thank you for taking the time out for us and keep us posted.

Mary

Dear Meg-

You are tireless. Everyone appreciates your efforts to keep us calm and informed. I hope you are enjoying your cruise and maybe if we band together RCL will give you a freebie(LOL) for being such a wonderful scout. Thanks again.

Nana Vegas-March 6 cruise

OK gang....quick report while awaiting our afternoon tour...

RIght now they are having a crew only emergency drill so i can't sneak out to my spot and see if the divers are diving...

BUT i heard from the grapevine that they MAY have fixed it....but still. the crew hasn't gotten any official email updates...

Capt. Thor is quite the comedian! His 6PM announcement last night started by saying that if you are on the pier looking at our rear end, you missed the ship!! And he said that in case you didn't recogize his voice, he just got on the ship....now i am not 100% clear if he's taking us all the way to Bayonne...but we are not having issues getting from point A to point B and i didn't see tugs.

BUT...Dominica is very old school...TINY pier...in fact the pilot boats carried the lines to the moorings!!

Later on after the drill if over, i shall take a walk and see what i can find out.....maybe i can get some info that isn't from the grapevine!:D

petesweet....VERY funny....technical huh?? yeah, a big thing under a black cover in a big blue box!!! technical!!!;)

JIMBO...good idea...why didn't I think of that...OK....maybe I will do that!:confused::rolleyes::p

mjldvlks...thanks for the pix....what i saw on the pier ...looked like pieces of that bronze prop. .....they looked like REALLY long, thin machetes....NOTHING like a prop!!

We haven't had to man the oars and row since we left last night so maybe things are looking up!

OK.....later gang.

BTW for you compulsive planners....i will post the menus when i get back...but if you want to skip a night, make it caribbean night (the one with the orange banana soup---the whole menu wasn't wonderful...they had tilapia for the 2nd day in the last 3, and pork too. BUT the kicker is that they had TWO kinds of pork in the WJ for lunch!

Attention RC Chefs...MIX IT UP PLEASE!

bye

OK gang....quick report while awaiting our afternoon tour...

RIght now they are having a crew only emergency drill so i can't sneak out to my spot and see if the divers are diving...

BUT i heard from the grapevine that they MAY have fixed it....but still. the crew hasn't gotten any official email updates...

Capt. Thor is quite the comedian! His 6PM announcement last night started by saying that if you are on the pier looking at our rear end, you missed the ship!! And he said that in case you didn't recogize his voice, he just got on the ship....now i am not 100% clear if he's taking us all the way to Bayonne...but we are not having issues getting from point A to point B and i didn't see tugs.

BUT...Dominica is very old school...TINY pier...in fact the pilot boats carried the lines to the moorings!!

Later on after the drill if over, i shall take a walk and see what i can find out.....maybe i can get some info that isn't from the grapevine!:D

petesweet....VERY funny....technical huh?? yeah, a big thing under a black cover in a big blue box!!! technical!!!;)

JIMBO...good idea...why didn't I think of that...OK....maybe I will do that!:confused::rolleyes::p

mjldvlks...thanks for the pix....what i saw on the pier ...looked like pieces of that bronze prop. .....they looked like REALLY long, thin machetes....NOTHING like a prop!!

We haven't had to man the oars and row since we left last night so maybe things are looking up!

OK.....later gang.

BTW for you compulsive planners....i will post the menus when i get back...but if you want to skip a night, make it caribbean night (the one with the orange banana soup---the whole menu wasn't wonderful...they had tilapia for the 2nd day in the last 3, and pork too. BUT the kicker is that they had TWO kinds of pork in the WJ for lunch!

Attention RC Chefs...MIX IT UP PLEASE!

bye

Meg, I, along with numerous others, am on the cruise right behind you, 2/13, and we all appreciated the time and effort that you have made to keep us informed.

That being said...,if you were willing to make some type of address available, I for one would have no problem sending a "donation" to help cover what you have incurred feeding us the info. I am confident that many of my fellow "cruisers" would feel the same way. Would help cut your expenditure and maybe give ya a little extra to put aside for the next one.

Thanks, (sincerely), for all your updates. Brett

Meg, I, along with numerous others, am on the cruise right behind you, 2/13, and we all appreciated the time and effort that you have made to keep us informed.

That being said...,if you were willing to make some type of address available, I for one would have no problem sending a "donation" to help cover what you have incurred feeding us the info. I am confident that many of my fellow "cruisers" would feel the same way. Would help cut your expenditure and maybe give ya a little extra to put aside for the next one.

(Out of lurking again....lol)I second that!!! Heaven only knows you've taken a lot of 'crap' and a lot of time from your vacation to keep us all informed which again we thank you for!!

(Out of lurking again....lol)I second that!!! Heaven only knows you've taken a lot of 'crap' and a lot of time from your vacation to keep us all informed which again we thank you for!!

Household engineer...I like that!!!!! Sure as hell takes an engineer to keep a household up and running these days !

Meg, you're a sweetheart for taking the time from your vacation to keep us informed of the progress. We are due to take the 2/22 12 day and sincerely appreciate all that you've done to ease our minds. Some really good karma is coming your way. :)

Happy sails,

~Mary~

I totally agree.... something, anything,....you are the best!!! :D and i do hope you are enjoying yourself....

Where willyou post the menu? We sail 3/15 - 12 nighter.

Gary

i will post the menus when i return......probably next weekend...

As for address....i will post my email when i get back...(i was half kidding....but...:confused::D)

OK..all you engineers who said go look at the wake...I did!

i see basically three big sets of wake stuff.....(scientific huh??!?!?!) standing at the stern...facing out (thus port is to my right, etc..) i see foam to my left (starboard if i turned around), foam in the middle and some on the right (which, since again, i am FACING the wake, would be the PORT side...)

and it all looks even.....THUS seems that they either 1) fixed it or 2) put the equivalent of a marine band aid on it!! lol!

we are skipping formal night...too full from Johnny rockets (and the menu has pork AGAIN! and lamb osso bucco, fish and some other stuff....) so may do WJ!

Joke du jour from the captain....if you go ashore in port, take your camera so that if you are late to the ship, you will have a nice photo of us sailing away! he is such a riot!

still having fun.....the tour wasn't the best..that's my next stop. yikes!

have to laugh...a family just walked by in tuxedo-printed tee shirts....how cute!:)

The pictures on your webshots for your EOS cruise in Dec. show a large stateroom. Is that a handicapped room? We have one and I was wondering if it will be about the same. We have room 9553.

Yes, that was a handicapped inside on deck 10, 250 sq. ft. RCI classes this cabin as a suite, so we got extra cc, I guess. We booked an inside guaranty at the beginning of Dec and were assigned this cabin a week before the sail date, when it had not been assigned to a person needing this special cabin.

I have to find the time before tax season gets crazy to fill out all the albums partially filled out on webshots.

OK..all you engineers who said go look at the wake...I did!

i see basically three big sets of wake stuff.....(scientific huh??!?!?!) standing at the stern...facing out (thus port is to my right, etc..) i see foam to my left (starboard if i turned around), foam in the middle and some on the right (which, since again, i am FACING the wake, would be the PORT side...)

and it all looks even.....THUS seems that they either 1) fixed it or 2) put the equivalent of a marine band aid on it!! lol!

Thank you for your time and efforts, It has been appreciated. If that is a band aid on it, that is something I would have to see :D. I am sure that in due time, all of the details will be divulged and we will hear what really happened. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Thank you for your time and efforts, It has been appreciated. If that is a band aid on it, that is something I would have to see :D. I am sure that in due time, all of the details will be divulged and we will hear what really happened. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I really don't think RCI will be coming forward with any more details on this problem. They would prefer it just goes away.

So here we are at the terminal in Barbados....everything in town is closed on Sunday...so i shopped around here.....and got 30 minutes of internet for 5 bucks....so that's good and it is pretty fast!

The dock area here looks like Bayonne with palm trees and blue water.......we are here with one of those windjammer-type things, but it looks like this is an embark/debark port as there's about 50 bags in the terminal.....

It's really hot though....,lots of people headed to the beach....i am just hanging out.......still kinda tired !

What else...dinner in the WJ wasn't half bad. They have a mongolian BBQ (make your own stir fry), then a make your own noodle station (similar..meats, veggies, noodles-VERY popular and very good!), MYO pasta (no one did this...) and some nice desserts including bread pudding (decent, ot too dry!) and crepes! (not montreal's but not bad!)

Will let you know if we pick up Capt Ryan or if we keep Capt Thor with us.....

Not sure if I mentioned this, but when the dock workers in Dominca were trying to use their little boat to put the men on the pillars to release the lines, they had some trouble steering...seems they too were missing an engine! This stuff is contagious!!

Well....i will report back if i hear anything......Antigua tomorrow....

Archived