US Airways Changes for Carry-On Luggage

Mildred

Beginning February 1, we're changing our carry-on baggage policy

Please be sure to communicate our new policy to all your clients traveling on or after February 1, 2009.

Size requirements*

• Beginning February 1, 2009, carry-on bags may not exceed 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm).
  • Beginning February 1, 2009, carry-on bags may not exceed 40 lbs/18 kg.

*For your clients traveling to or from Canada, the size limitation (45 in) for carry-on baggage will take effect on February 1, 2009, but the weight limitation (40 lbs) for carry-on baggage will not take effect until February 21, 2009.

Beginning February 1, we're changing our carry-on baggage policy

Please be sure to communicate our new policy to all your clients traveling on or after February 1, 2009.

Size requirements*

• Beginning February 1, 2009, carry-on bags may not exceed 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm).
  • Beginning February 1, 2009, carry-on bags may not exceed 40 lbs/18 kg.

*For your clients traveling to or from Canada, the size limitation (45 in) for carry-on baggage will take effect on February 1, 2009, but the weight limitation (40 lbs) for carry-on baggage will not take effect until February 21, 2009.

I sense a fee for carry-on luggage coming soon.

This is so ridiculous! Airplanes aren't cross-town buses....when folks fly, they are going to spend more than 1 day somewhere--they NEED to take stuff with them!

I'm sooooo glad I have no flights planned in the near future!

True, but you can't carry it all into the passenger cabin with you. There simply isn't enough room. As I read the post, it only affects carryon luggage, not checked bags.

Many international carriers restrict carryon luggage in economy class to 6 kilos, or 13 lbs. So 40 is still quite generous, IMHO.

Good for them......I fly A LOT and I hate when I get on a flight and can't even fit my coat in the overhead bin because people overpack and don't want to pay the extra fee so they try and carry on their 60lb bag that doesn't fit in the space provided......urrrrrrr........

I was just on a flight that a lady tried to force her bag in the overhead bin and it didn't fit but instead of giving up she broke the door and we had to wait for maintence to come fix it before we could take off.:mad:

People are quickly being forced to learn to pack lighter, whether they like it or not. 40 lbs. is still very generous, I think there are plenty of people who probably couldn't get a 40 lb. bag hoisted into the overhead bins.

I can't imagine trying to take along a checked 50 lb. bag plus a 40 lb. carry on, That is 90 lbs. of stuff :rolleyes: My carry on usually weighs in at around 20 lbs., my suitcase 40-45 lbs., that's enough for me to haul.

Buy a luggage scale and weigh your bags after you pack. I think a lot of people will be surprised at how little their carry on bags weigh.

This is so ridiculous! Airplanes aren't cross-town buses....when folks fly, they are going to spend more than 1 day somewhere--they NEED to take stuff with them!

I'm sooooo glad I have no flights planned in the near future!

I guess you haven't flown much either. Did you ever see what people bring on a carry on bags? The lazy/important ones feel the overhead space belongs to them. They might be seated in row 22, but darn, if there is an overhead available at row 5, in goes their stuff. Heaven forbid someone in row 5 needs to put something in the overhead.

Did you ever sit on the aisle seat as people started bringing aboard their "roll aboards?" If so, how did you like being banged around by those with carry-ons the size of an elephant?

I hope the airlines do start charging for those bags and then not only will the self impressed change their tune and check their luggage like the rest of us, or they will start paying for the privilege of taking up space the rest of us could use.

katiel53 I couldn't agree with you more. Each time I fly it seems to get more and more ridiculous with what people try to jam into those bins! I am glad to see the airlines making these changes....let's just hope they enforce them!

I know USAir has made changes to carryons but where I am confused is ...the carryon bag you are allowed is on 14 inches by 9 inches by 22 inches. How the crap do you pack 40 lbs in something that is not even 2 feet big?

What was the policy before? A 22 in. bag is the standard rolling carry-on. Personally, I'm thrilled if it means people won't be able to bring on bags that don't fit length-wise in the overhead.

I do not normally carry a carryon but I thought 22 inches sounded small when you see people with carryons that are the small suitcase size.

What was the policy before? A 22 in. bag is the standard rolling carry-on. Personally, I'm thrilled if it means people won't be able to bring on bags that don't fit length-wise in the overhead.

I was curious of the previous policy too. I flew on USAir Jan 24-27th and all I could find on their website was this 'new' policy that was effective Feb 1. On the dates I flew, people were boarding with ridiculously large carry-ons.

Also, why are they letting people by with one (oversized) carry on plus a bulging backpack PLUS another additional bulging bag?????? If I am following the rules, then they should be enforcing others to also follow the rules.

Archived