Long Flight to Australia

cruiseonly

Note: if you Google Push Cush, you will find that they can be ordered from Canada and US. I just ordered 2 for our upcoming long flight. Thanks for the idea

Useful to know that is available in Canada & the US, for the non-Aussies. I did Google it but only came up with Oz sources. Guess I should have persevered past the first page! It is a good Aussie invention, have used one for ages. Gives you something to do to relieve the monotony on long flights if nothing else...:)

Note: if you Google Push Cush, you will find that they can be ordered from Canada and US. I just ordered 2 for our upcoming long flight. Thanks for the idea

Sheila.......... I googled and couldn't find any Canadian or US suppliers. Can you let me know where you found them please.

They would be great for back support on long hauls. We've got the "long" flight to Sydney in October.

I am also a fan of loose clothing and slip-on shoes (the latter are very handy for airport security too, when you have to do the “shoe dance”). When you live a long way from where you want to be (I have grandkids in the US) you develop strategies to deal with those long flights. Being such a princess I also take my own sleep mask and earplugs, because they are comfier than the airline-supplied ones. One product I also use is this inflatable exercise foot cushion, don’t know if it is available outside Oz. At least you can still use it when the airline has you strapped down in the seat, due to turbulence!

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Product/ProductInfo.aspx?id=1272841&cid=568

MM Down Under, thanks for the information about your friend post-surgery. Will make sure my husband asks the surgeon about the pressure stockings at his six week check-up . Also, highly amused by mental picture of you tramping through the snow with your boots flapping…

Can you just imagine wearing high boots with a mini these days, with over zealous security? Doing the shoe dance would cause quite a show getting the boots on and off! :)

The foot cushion sounds like a great idea, worthy of further investigation. Don't you just love Peters of Kensington?

Good idea to bring your own sleep mask and earplugs.

Sheila.......... I googled and couldn't find any Canadian or US suppliers. Can you let me know where you found them please.

They would be great for back support on long hauls. We've got the "long" flight to Sydney in October.

Hi, these are really mostly for exercising your feet/ankles. There are two chambers to the cushion. You inflate one, and then pedal with your feet, and air passes from one chamber to the other. (Much more complicated to describe than do!). There are quite a few inflatable neck/back supports available, however, and I've tried a lot over the years. My recommedation is to get one which self-inflates. Had a good one from LL Bean ages ago, but I don't think they make them any more.

Can you just imagine wearing high boots with a mini these days, with over zealous security? Doing the shoe dance would cause quite a show getting the boots on and off! :)

The foot cushion sounds like a great idea, worthy of further investigation. Don't you just love Peters of Kensington?

Good idea to bring your own sleep mask and earplugs.

:D More amusing images! Those were the days..I hate taking my shoes off nowadays and walking on the yukky floor. Eew.

Yes, I love P of K also, much better deals than in regular stores. The sleep mask/earplugs thing started because I didn't like the crunchy synthetic masks from the airlines - and my head is big so they didn't fit! My son travels a lot for business, he swears by the Bose noise-cancelling headphones, but I can't bring myself to spend that much money.

:D I hate taking my shoes off nowadays and walking on the yukky floor. Eew.

My son travels a lot for business, he swears by the Bose noise-cancelling headphones, but I can't bring myself to spend that much money.

When I have to take my shoes off, I whip on a pair of airline socks on top of the pressure socks, as I can't cope with the thought of wearing my socks on the long flight after walking on the yukky floor. Then I just throw them away. Then I repeat the exercise, when I get on the plane.

Yes, Bose noise-cancelling headphones have been recommended to me also for long haul flights, but, like you, I find it hard to justify the cost. Maybe we should just follow our children. :)

When I have to take my shoes off, I whip on a pair of airline socks on top of the pressure socks, as I can't cope with the thought of wearing my socks on the long flight after walking on the yukky floor. Then I just throw them away. Then I repeat the exercise, when I get on the plane.

Glad I am not the only one. The online travel stores in the US, sensing a commercial opportunity as always, sell some sort of disposable scuffs for just such situations. Can't get them here, though...:(

• 2 weeks later...
There are so many things I could suggest but I won't except for toilet paper? :p
:D

QF had kindly through-checked my bags, so I was able to ask to go into the QF lounge at SYD, but I duly got turned away.

The public shower was not bad - sort of top-quality-public-swimming-pool standard. But definitely BYO soap and BYO towel. I had brought a chamois-type trek towel, which did the job fine.

I was very glad of the opportunity to do that given that I still had another 9 hours of travelling before reaching my final destination - and it also meant that we could go out straight away that evening instead of having to stop at home first for ablutions.

I just ordered mine from cpr-pro.com and they're on sale.

Moira

:D

QF had kindly through-checked my bags, so I was able to ask to go into the QF lounge at SYD, but I duly got turned away.

The public shower was not bad - sort of top-quality-public-swimming-pool standard. But definitely BYO soap and BYO towel. I had brought a chamois-type trek towel, which did the job fine.

I was very glad of the opportunity to do that given that I still had another 9 hours of travelling before reaching my final destination - and it also meant that we could go out straight away that evening instead of having to stop at home first for ablutions.

Pleased to hear the public shower in Sydney did the job.

What stamina to go out in the evening following that long haul flight!.

Archived