Formal Nights on Holland America

VaTraveler

We are taking our first cruise on Holland America in two weeks. It's a Western Caribbean, 7-night cruise. We've previously been on several with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Princess. I have always done the long formal on formal nights, but I have recently begun to feel I was dressed more formally than the majority of passengers. Does anyone have experience with Holland America? Do most wear long dresses or cocktail?

I've sailed HAL three times, the most recent trips were a 15 day Panama Canal in October 2008, and before that, 11 day southern Caribbean in 2006. My husband brought & wore his tuxedo for all the formal nights, and I wore a variety of dresses, 2/3 of which were long. For the 15 day Canal trip, we had 4 formal nights. I did bring one skirt/two tops for 2 of those nights, and 2 long dresses for the other nights. Not ballgowns--easier to pack. I felt at least half the passengers wore tuxedos & dresses - at least cocktail--on both those cruises. At two of our meals during the Canal cruise, we had a bridge officer (in dress uniform, YUM!) and the party planner at our table--so I'm definitely glad we were dressed very nicely & formally:p

However--if you don't want to wear a long gown, or even a cocktail gown--in this age, you will be far from the only one who looks like that. HAL is still one of the more traditional lines, but even they have loosened up....

Jenivive, I thank you for your reply. Actually, I would prefer to go less dressy this time because I just don't want to be bothered packing the long gowns, but I don't want to be under dressed in comparison to everyone else. I've been led to believe that Holland America is a different demographic than the cruise lines I am used to, and I was just wondering what the norm is for this line. I believe 7-day Caribbean cruises tend to be less formal in general, but I'm not sure about Holland America.

7 day Caribbean cruises will be younger in demographic than the longer cruises I was on. Larger ships will also tend to be a little younger (I'm 35, but we like longer cruises when we can get away--sadly, not this year, or so it appears right now....Too busy at work:rolleyes:) You will absolutely be fine in a cocktail dress or separates at the same level of dressiness.

We are taking our first cruise on Holland America in two weeks. It's a Western Caribbean, 7-night cruise. We've previously been on several with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Princess. I have always done the long formal on formal nights, but I have recently begun to feel I was dressed more formally than the majority of passengers. Does anyone have experience with Holland America? Do most wear long dresses or cocktail?

On our recent Eurodam cruise, DH wore a tux both nights. The first night I wore a very fitted strapless satin black gown with the tiniest bit of a train, and the second night I wore a short (mid-thigh) red/black shimmery halter neck dress. I saw perhaps a dozen men in a tux on each night, and not a whole lot of ladies (but a few) in longer dresses.

Hmmm. Now I'm undecided again. The fact that it is a seven-day Caribbean was what made me think it may not be as formal. From what you said, that may be true. Maybe I'll take an extra short one just to make sure.:confused:

passengers on HAL dress mor sophisticated because that is the type of cruise line it is. when my family cruises the boys rent tuxes and the girls wear prom dresses that are similar to ball gowns. the people who stand out are the people who dont dress up. my family sees cruising as a time to be pampered so we dress up!! when do you ever have the chance to dress like this at home? and this is also a perfect oppurtunity for a great family photo

We will be on our first cruise soon and I just received my cruise packet. It states dark suits for men on formal nights. I just bought my DH a tan summer Perry Ellis 3 piece suit which he looks awesome in ;) Will this be alright for formal night?

I think so. Of course it depends on the length of the cruise- on a 7 day it seems people are more informal. Your hubby could wear a sportcoat and dress slacks and not look out of place on a 7 day.

The longer cruses tend to get an older crowd who are still sticklers for the older rules. Your hubby might would feel out of place then.

Hi from Gloucester! We will be on the HAL Noordam in April, it will be a longer cruise....but would you be willing to report back and tell us what you saw on formal nights? I guess I had better start packing soon:) Thanks in advance. Liz

Edited by dibbitz
This note for VaTraveler, sorry forgot to quote.....

Hi from Gloucester! We will be on the HAL Noordam in April, it will be a longer cruise....but would you be willing to report back and tell us what you saw on formal nights? I guess I had better start packing soon:) Thanks in advance. Liz

Liz, since you are on a longer cruise-I am sure you will see more of a "black tie" atmosphere.

Our cruise was 6 day last year-and although we saw some "black tie," we also saw cocktail dresses for women and suits for men for the most part. (after 5) However many were simply women is dress slacks with a dress blouse and men in dress shirts but no jacket.

The biggest thing that surprised me though was- how many dressed down AFTER dinner. People in cut offs and shorts-and not even nice shorts.

However, I do not believe you will see that on a longer cruise-so if you want to dress black tie, I am sure you will have plenty of company. I am sure also you will see a good many going more "after 5" with the cocktail dresses and suits. But, if I were you, I would dress either black tie or after 5, I would not go more informal than after 5.

We are planning next year to do a 10 day on HAL and that is how I plan to dress.

• 2 weeks later...
Liz, since you are on a longer cruise-I am sure you will see more of a "black tie" atmosphere.

Our cruise was 6 day last year-and although we saw some "black tie," we also saw cocktail dresses for women and suits for men for the most part. (after 5) However many were simply women is dress slacks with a dress blouse and men in dress shirts but no jacket.

The biggest thing that surprised me though was- how many dressed down AFTER dinner. People in cut offs and shorts-and not even nice shorts.

However, I do not believe you will see that on a longer cruise-so if you want to dress black tie, I am sure you will have plenty of company. I am sure also you will see a good many going more "after 5" with the cocktail dresses and suits. But, if I were you, I would dress either black tie or after 5, I would not go more informal than after 5.

We are planning next year to do a 10 day on HAL and that is how I plan to dress.

thanks, so it sounds like I will be okay with a long black dress, a sleeveless black sheath, black dress pants and some dressy tops and maybe a shear type wrap? Maybe add some color for the tops on smart casual nights? 26 days is a long time to plan esp. with luggage restrictions. I appreciate the time all of you take to advise. :)

thanks, so it sounds like I will be okay with a long black dress, a sleeveless black sheath, black dress pants and some dressy tops and maybe a shear type wrap? Maybe add some color for the tops on smart casual nights? 26 days is a long time to plan esp. with luggage restrictions. I appreciate the time all of you take to advise. :)

I think you will look very well and sticking to one color palette you can mix and match and save on packing. Perhaps if you pick those really slight weight wraps you could bring several, and have a couple in bright colors. I really like fuchsia with black myself. Fuchsia is a nice color for bringing "life" into your face also. I always feel when I put that color around my face that I look younger.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am up for anything that makes me look younger...DH wants to know if I wear color near my face, will HE look any younger? :D I have been told my "colors' are coral and teal, so I'll start looking. Thanks much...me

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am up for anything that makes me look younger...DH wants to know if I wear color near my face, will HE look any younger? :D I have been told my "colors' are coral and teal, so I'll start looking. Thanks much...me

I love the same colors. BTW, coral as it is in the pink family, does the same as fuchsia, any pink shade does, that is not a pale pink. So if fuchsia is too bold for you, try coral.

As far as adding a pop of color to black, I got that from Stacey and Clinton form WNTW.

So if fuchsia is too bold for you, try coral.

I don't think it has to be an issue of "too bold". Some people (like me) just don't look good in fuchsia:p

For longer trips, I love mix & match & neutral colors with a few different accessories or scarves--makes life and packing so much easier!! When I pack, I usually have black & khaki as my neutrals and red and turquoise as my accent colors, and most things will go with each other to make multiple outfits (and layers if that's important, based on my destination)

I don't think it has to be an issue of "too bold". Some people (like me) just don't look good in fuchsia:p

For longer trips, I love mix & match & neutral colors with a few different accessories or scarves--makes life and packing so much easier!! When I pack, I usually have black & khaki as my neutrals and red and turquoise as my accent colors, and most things will go with each other to make multiple outfits (and layers if that's important, based on my destination)

Actually I was simply using an example of a bright color, used to change the look of an outfit, to help expand a wardrobe. I am sorry if I sounded as though I was saying what someone must do. I guess I should have explained myself better. I do like fuchsia, but with such a bright color, a LITTLE goes a long way- so I understood not everyone would care for it- it can be too much. It would be too much on me head to toe also! I only use that as an accent color-never head to toe! Perhaps a blouse at most, under a gray jacket, with navy or black pants/skirt for example.

I like fuchsia because when I put pinks near my face I actually look younger, the color reflects a rosy glow to my skin. I have noticed this happens on other women also. Now I am fair skinned, brown hair, hazel eyes, but I have noticed this works on women of color around my age, and also on blond haired, blue eyed women in my age group. Bright pinks near the face seems to work well on many gals with very different complexions and coloring. It is a nice trick for gals over 50.

Coral does that too, as it is a deep enough pink, however, I don't care for coral and black, (this is just me-I don't actually think there is anything wrong with it) but I will pair fuchsia and black or red and black. Of course red does not give my skin the rosy glow, but I do like it with black.

However, coral, I am willing to wear more. I would wear a coral dress but never a fuchsia dress.

Anyway, I am sorry if I offended. Everyone must find what works for them.

I also like teal with black as the other poster said.

this spring season coral, yellow, and apple green are the 'IN' colours in the store where I work and grey is the new neutral for spring.

you will find these colours in all price points at many stores.

when fuschia is too much for your complexion, there are many options as stated by posters previously. from lightish pink to the corals to the deep pinks....there are choices as we all have different coloured complexions.

(btw, I am using the Canadian spelling for such words as colour/color);)