On Board Credit from TA

floridafolks

I hope some of the more experienced cc'ers might have an answer to my question. Last October we booked our May 2009 HA cruise during a major Travel company's "World's Largest Cruise Night Promotion." (I don't think I am suppose to mention the name but their offices are throughout the US.) We are supposed to get a $100 OBC as a result of the booking.

Question: When does the OBC get put on our account? Our TA is very vague and says it will show up when we board and we can not verify it is there until then. What does one do if the OBC isn't there and the ship is sailing from Rome so no way to call the TA then. Any advice on what to do if the OBC is not there when we board?

I hope some of the more experienced cc'ers might have an answer to my question. Last October we booked our May 2009 HA cruise during a major Travel company's "World's Largest Cruise Night Promotion." (I don't think I am suppose to mention the name but their offices are throughout the US.) We are supposed to get a $100 OBC as a result of the booking.

Question: When does the OBC get put on our account? Our TA is very vague and says it will show up when we board and we can not verify it is there until then. What does one do if the OBC isn't there and the ship is sailing from Rome so no way to call the TA then. Any advice on what to do if the OBC is not there when we board?

It should be applied as a credit on the first day. However, your TA can and should provide you with a Guest Confirmation (and after final payment a Final Confirmation) which WILL show it. I'm pretty sure your TA (Association) is the same as ours, and we have no problem getting the confirmations. Bring that with you.

I suspect we use the same travel company ... when I am promised an OBC, it appears both on the agency invoice and on the HAL confirmation faxed to my agent.

Suggest you get your agent to document the OBC and take a copy with you on your sailiing ... if it is not on your account once you board you will have something to give the Front Office to work with.

We had an issue several years ago and we have learned to get it in writing, take along a copy, visit the Front Office day of embarkation. If there is an issue, HAL onboard has a couple to several days to communicate with Seattle to get it straightened out.

Worst case scenario, if the OBC never appears on your account (even if the ship staff needs to work with Seattle on your behalf), getting the travel agent to refund the monies directly to you will be much easier if you have something from her in writing.

It should be applied as a credit on the first day. However, your TA can and should provide you with a Guest Confirmation (and after final payment a Final Confirmation) which WILL show it. I'm pretty sure your TA (Association) is the same as ours, and we have no problem getting the confirmations. Bring that with you.

This is what I thought--We have received a guest confirmation after final payment and the OBC is NOT on there. We have pointed this out to the TA several times and she has gone from vague to huffy. She insists that it should not be on the HA guest confirmation and will always appear after we board. This sounds odd to me. Is there a regional director of the major travel association that I should contact? I do not want to upset the TA until after I receive the our docs. She says there is never a problem since the travel "association" does so much business for them.

On another cruise line, we had a problem with a promised OBC. We were three cabins traveling together... booked simultaneously. Two out of the three received the OBC as promised, but do you want to guess which couple was the "odd man out"? Our invoices did not clarify our situation. The personnel at the front desk emailed our TA to try to help us, but the response received said that we were to receive no OBC. Once we got back home, DH contacted the agency and faxed our documentation along with my mother's -- who had received the OBC. We got a check to give us the credit after the cruise was over... Lots of hassle.

I would prefer that all TAs would issue an itemized statement reflecting all benefits travelers are due!

This is what I thought--We have received a guest confirmation after final payment and the OBC is NOT on there. We have pointed this out to the TA several times and she has gone from vague to huffy. She insists that it should not be on the HA guest confirmation and will always appear after we board. This sounds odd to me. Is there a regional director of the major travel association that I should contact? I do not want to upset the TA until after I receive the our docs. She says there is never a problem since the travel "association" does so much business for them.

That is the same story I was given the year I had the issue ... and it took 6 months before the OBC amount was credited to my credit card. That girl since has moved on to other employ or non-employ. In that case, I insisted the OBC be shown on the agency invoice, even tho she said it wasn't necessary. Well, it was necessary, as that was the only way I could document my OBC entitlement. Learned my lesson the hard way. In the end ... when we got back from the cruise, sans OBC, the agent wouldn't even take nor return my calls. I finally got the ball rolling by calling the corporate (or maybe it's the regional) office in Aurora, IL. The issue got cleared up pretty fast after that!

We have never had a repeat of the above scenario. My current agent, without my even asking, always shows the OBC on the agency paperwork. And, it also appears on my HAL confirmation.

There are two different types of OBC. The first kind shows on your booking confirmation. The other kind doesn't BUT your travel agent can request a "special services" invoice on the booking which will show the second kind.

If neither of these show OBC then you don't have it.

I usually receive a "coupon" in my HAL ticket booklet with the OBC info (one per person).

HAL no longer issues the 'coupons' in the document pack. It's been a while since they did it that way.

Our OBC are always verified on our HAL confirmation and they never fail to appear on our shipboard bill.

Bring the HAL confirmation (showing the OBC) with you to the ship, 'just in case'. We always bring it but have not needed it.

HAL no longer issues the 'coupons' in the document pack. It's been a while since they did it that way.

Our OBC are always verified on our HAL confirmation and they never fail to appear on our shipboard bill.

Bring the HAL confirmation (showing the OBC) with you to the ship, 'just in case'. We always bring it but have not needed it.

That is the problem. It does not show on the HAL confirmation and the TA says it won't show until sailing. I have no faith in her response b/c once we are on board what do we do? We did get her to put in on the Travel Agency receipt that we are entitled to it. It says "World's Largest Cruise Night (Travel Agency name) $100 on board credit." The fact that it is not on the HAL confirmation is a red flag to me that it was not processed correctly and fell through the cracks. Our TA says that it will appear when we get on board even if it is not on the HAL confirmation. I frankly do not have faith in that response. Does anyone have an idea of who to contact to clear this up before sailing. Our TA says she has done her part. I really do not want to deal with this after getting on the ship I just want to enjoy the cruise with no hassle. The hassle is not worth the $100 , but I also don't think it is right to be promised something and not get it.

There are 50,000 travel agencies in the U.S. How do the onboard staff on any ship, any cruise line reconcile a difference between what a TA said or shows on an independent statement and their own internal records?

For all the onboard staff knows, the TA statement might have been altered or even a fake.

Our TA says she has done her part. I really do not want to deal with this after getting on the ship I just want to enjoy the cruise with no hassle. The hassle is not worth the $100 , but I also don't think it is right to be promised something and not get it.

Your travel agency is your agent, not that of the cruise line. Your travel agency recieves a minimum of 10% of your cabin charge as a commission for handling your booking and any issues related to it.

It seems as though most OBC does eventually make it to passengers' onboard accounts, regardless of travel agency or cruise line. And when it does not, travel agencies point the finger at the cruise line and the cruise lines point at the travel agency. It's a black hole and the risk associated with OBC that, for whatever reason, does not appear on the cruise line's documentation.

There are 50,000 travel agencies in the U.S. How do the onboard staff on any ship, any cruise line reconcile a difference between what a TA said or shows on an independent statement and their own internal records?

For all the onboard staff knows, the TA statement might have been altered or even a fake.

Yes. How do they?? So you think HAL will just call me a liar and say I doctored some document? I surely must be missing your point.

This particular case is with a very well known nation-wide agency and I am sure HAL is famiiar with this promotion. This was a promotion offered by the travel agency good on all cruise bookings on October 16th event. What should I do, who should I contact if the TA will do nothing else?? Do I just wait until I get back and contact the Headquarters of the TA and surely they will do something. We also have several e-mails from the TA that also state this is true.

My current TA has been very good, however, we have had the same battle over getting proof of OBC. I receive the CCL shareholder credit and because I am booked with a TA they (HAL) will not provide me with any written proof that I have received the credit.

My TA says there is no statement that she can give to me. I have her agency's confirmation that I have paid in full, but I know, from my previous TA that there is an official confirmation page from HAL for my booking that would show confirmation of shareholder OBC and any other types of OBC.

In frustration, I have given up fighting that battle with her because I have never had a problem receiving the credit, once onboard. That doesn't mean there won't be a problem in the future, though. I don't know why it is such a problem to receive these confirmations. :confused:

So you think HAL will just call me a liar and say I doctored some document?

In frustration, I have given up fighting that battle with her because I have never had a problem receiving the credit, once onboard. That doesn't mean there won't be a problem in the future, though. I don't know why it is such a problem to receive these confirmations. :confused:

Of course they are not going to call you a liar or imply your travel agency docs are fake. My point is that the people on the ship have no idea what a travel agency promised or not.

It is rare for OBC to not make it to the shipboard account. If it does not, you can spend your vacation hissing about it and try to persuade someone to give you a credit or deal with it, when you return home.

No need to shout. HAL is a silver sponsor of this nationwide promotion so I would think they would be aware of it. I am trying to rectify this before sailing b/c I have no intention of letting this put a damper on a wonderful cruise. If it is not fixed before leaving, then I will deal with it when I return. I thought some other folks might have been through this and would have some suggestions of where to turn. I really did not feel you wanted to be helpful. lBTW I do not hiss.

Does your travel agent work alone or in an agency that has a supervisor for her? If there is a supervisor, I would call that person and talk about your concerns and ask that the agency send you a confirmation from HAL showing that you will get the onboard credit.

If you can't get a confirmation and when you get onboard your ship in Rome, it isn't there for you, consider the loss of the $100 the price of a learning experience and deal with a different agency from here on in. In fact, if your agent got huffy with you, that is a good indication that she doesn't deserve your business.

My agent chases all onboard credits that I unearth (including a CCL shareholders credit and the Amex Platinum credit for suites) and then the agency sends me a copy of the HAL invoice showing the onboard credits, so that I have something to show the folks on the ship if they don't have that record.

Does your travel agent work alone or in an agency that has a supervisor for her? If there is a supervisor, I would call that person and talk about your concerns and ask that the agency send you a confirmation from HAL showing that you will get the onboard credit.

If you can't get a confirmation and when you get onboard your ship in Rome, it isn't there for you, consider the loss of the $100 the price of a learning experience and deal with a different agency from here on in. In fact, if your agent got huffy with you, that is a good indication that she doesn't deserve your business.

My agent chases all onboard credits that I unearth (including a CCL shareholders credit and the Amex Platinum credit for suites) and then the agency sends me a copy of the HAL invoice showing the onboard credits, so that I have something to show the folks on the ship if they don't have that record.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I might wait until I get the docs for sailing before going to her suspervisor. She works at the headquarters which is near my home/work. Since they are a major travel association I thought they would have access to the widest choices of cruises.

You are so right, needless to say we will not be using her as our TA again. We will ask friends for a recommendation of TA before booking next time.

This is really so minor compared to folks who have had cruises cancelled or other major difficulties. I just thought if there was a ''quick fix" I would try to get this in order before leaving.

This is what I am talking about. If the cruise line invoice does not show the OBC and if it is not credited to the shipboard account, it is unlikely that the onboard staff is going to honor something generated by a travel agency.

The onboard crew live on the ship and are not familiar with the hundreds of promotions offered by the cruise line or a particular travel agency. They have no idea who is eligible or not fr which promotion/perks.

Most of us buy our cruises from travel agencies who are paid a commission by the cruise line to promote and book cruises and service us.

Some do a better job of it, than others. Best price does not mean best service.

Not all obc is credited to your reservation immediately -- and that doesn't mean you aren't going to get it, or that your TA messed up. This is obviously no reason not to use her again in the future. Yes there are confirmations that come from HAL but, as I said above, not all obc is put on right away. The sale you are talking about was a national sale and the $100 was part of the special for booking with HAL. Some of these specials, such as the OnStage Alaska promotion (which includes obc), take months to get put on the confirmation. Those require forms to be filled out and sent to HAL headquarters. As I said, I had some of those booked in October and the obc was not credited to the account until May. They do it according to sail dates and they may not be to your sail date yet for posting those credits. Don't shoot the TA yet. You have documentation from her that you are supposed to get it. If you get onboard and it's not on there, question the front office (show them what you have from TA that confirms you get OBC and ask them to check on it. If they can't do it, bring a copy of your shipboard account showing the credit was not there to your TA when you get home and have her deal with HAL about it. And, I'm not saying to bring or mail the copy of your account to her when you get home because she won't trust you, I'm saying it because she will need it to go to HAL to remedy the situation. I hope it works out for you.

Schwabby

Our cousins had the same problem - they did have a confirmation of the

OBC but it was not on their account - it took 5 trips to the front desk before it was corrected. Not something you want to have to do on a cruise.

We always make sure everything is on the payment receipt - even if the TA has to do it over. also, once, the TA told us that the OBC was from

her but when we got on board we found out it was from HAL.

didn't matter but a wrong impression was given.

Archived