A Really Tacky Question

Ships R Great

Our TA is great and always sends a little remembrance or two during the cruise. This is very nice and I don't want to be flamed for this question. It is just a little etiquette thing. I know, I know---be thankful and shut up---but it is a ? for us. We NEVER, NEVER eat the fruit that is sent to us fby him or anyone else. Is there any kind of way we can communicate that to our TA. It is such a waste when he sends it. Strawberries---yum. A bottle of wine---nice. But the fruit just sits there the whole cruise. (We have tried giving it to the crew but they don't want it, or can't take it.)

Remember, no flaming. My ego is fragile just now.

Perhaps a lovely note to your TA about how much you enjoyed your trip could include the sentence, "... and we appreciated your gesture so much! As Mrs. Passenger is allergic to (name that fruit), we were able to share it with the lovely people we met next door."

Okay, it wouldn't pass muster by Emily Post, but it might keep your TA from wasting his money on a gift that they genuinely would prefer you enjoy. Chances are you'd get chocolates or OBC or something else next time...

I used to be a TA, and would have wanted to know that my clients didn't care for what I gave them.

No, normally it's off the ship. It does depend on the country though; if they don't have strict quarantine laws it's not an issue, but if they do then you can't. Ships on the other hand don't have agriculture to worry about so it's not so much an issue (aside from bypassing concession limits e.g. alcohol).

We bring bananas in our backpack while in port for snacks all the time. I think its the reverse, you can't bring it on to the ship or to an airport.

Some places will go "bananas" if you do this. Actually you could incur a very very large fine !!!!!

Ok....let's not go too far astray from the general idea of gifting the unwanted fruit to some who may actually really want it and truly need it.:)

Naturally most of us read the dailies and follow the rules concerning what can or cannot be taken off of the ship. Overall, more often than not we have been able to take water and fruit. I don't think that would come as much of a surprise.

We bring bananas in our backpack while in port for snacks all the time. I think its the reverse, you can't bring it on to the ship or to an airport.

If you're caught with those bananas on most of the ports, you could be fined. There are definitely agricultural laws on all the islands, just as there are in the US, that you cannot bring fruits, vegetables or meats off the cruise ship. On one of my recent cruises in the Caribbean, the cruise director came on the public address system to announce that no food whatsoever is allowed off the ship. And I have seen dogs and other local agents off the gangway checking bags. So be careful because you are violating local agricultural laws when you bring bananas off the ship.

To the OP, honesty is the best thing. Just tell your TA that while you truly appreciate the thoughtfullness, you just don't eat fruit. My TA used to send a bottle of red wine, which I'm allergic to, but once I told him, he was so happy to know.

If you're caught with those bananas on most of the ports, you could be fined. There are definitely agricultural laws on all the islands, just as there are in the US, that you cannot bring fruits, vegetables or meats off the cruise ship. On one of my recent cruises in the Caribbean, the cruise director came on the public address system to announce that no food whatsoever is allowed off the ship. And I have seen dogs and other local agents off the gangway checking bags. So be careful because you are violating local agricultural laws when you bring bananas off the ship.

Again. Calm Down. If there is a rule, I do follow, but ordinarily I do not find these exceptions that everyone seems to want to harp on. And I have yet to see a dog.

Photographers yes, Pirates yes, but not dogs.:cool:

Our TA is great and always sends a little remembrance or two during the cruise. This is very nice and I don't want to be flamed for this question. It is just a little etiquette thing. I know, I know---be thankful and shut up---but it is a ? for us. We NEVER, NEVER eat the fruit that is sent to us fby him or anyone else. Is there any kind of way we can communicate that to our TA. It is such a waste when he sends it. Strawberries---yum. A bottle of wine---nice. But the fruit just sits there the whole cruise. (We have tried giving it to the crew but they don't want it, or can't take it.)

First, anyone who would even think about flaming you has, obviously, never met you. Since dh & I (while travelling with my mother) had the priviledge of enjoying your company, I know that your intentions are not selfish but instead, as burgerbits has said, intended to keep your TA from wasting money on a gift that you really don't enjoy.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any easy way around this. I think you have 2 choices. One - continue to receive fruit that just sits there through the whole cruise. Two - come clean and tell the TA that you'd rather not see money be wasted on fruit, but wine, or strawberries, or whatever would be truly appreciated.

Enjoy your cruise! We hope to cruise with you again. Barb

Hi, Barb. Tom, Diane, Ed and I were just thinking about our Zenith cruise, with you, Fred and your mom, just this week. What a fun time that was! Thanks for the kind words.

I just don't know how to come right out and say to someone, thanks but no thanks when they are being nice. But I just hate to see the fruit sit there. Myabe if I send his email to someone, they will do it for me :).

Again. Calm Down. If there is a rule, I do follow, but ordinarily I do not find these exceptions that everyone seems to want to harp on. And I have yet to see a dog.

Photographers yes, Pirates yes, but not dogs.:cool:

Sounded calm to me.

Just off a 10 nite cruise on the Constellation. We were told no food allowed off the ship in St. Thomas, St. Kitts, and Barbados. No mention of food restrictions (Celebity Today) when we arrived in St. Lucia or St. Maarten.

Constantly reminded about not bringing alcohol ONTO the ship.

I don't think I could be capable of contacting my TA and 'requesting' a different nicetie. IMO, it's best to let the fruit sit there and rot or throw it out. But still, send a thank you note. Frankly, if I were your TA and was contacted by you regarding me sending a different treat-I think I would find it impolite. Hey, who doesn't like fruit?

BTW, my DH won't eat ANY fruit for love or money. I can't get him to eat a chocolate covered strawberry.

I don't think I could be capable of contacting my TA and 'requesting' a different nicetie. IMO, it's best to let the fruit sit there and rot or throw it out. But still, send a thank you note. Frankly, if I were your TA and was contacted by you regarding me sending a different treat-I think I would find it impolite.

Thank-you notes for thank-you gifts are impolite.

Then again, pointing out that it's impolite is... well... impolite. Sorry.

Hi, Barb. Tom, Diane, Ed and I were just thinking about our Zenith cruise, with you, Fred and your mom, just this week. What a fun time that was! Thanks for the kind words.

I just don't know how to come right out and say to someone, thanks but no thanks when they are being nice. But I just hate to see the fruit sit there. Myabe if I send his email to someone, they will do it for me :).

I think if I had an email connection, I'd give that a try also. We are looking forward to checking out the martini bar Solstice and know that you guys will have a geat time on Mercury. We sure will miss Zenith, though. She was our first cruise ship and our favorite - not just for the ship but also for the crew and the fellow passengers.

Take care, Barb

I realize it may go against your grain to let food go to waste, but I think that it is more important to show gratitude for a nice gesture. Apparently you do not feel comfortable telling TA "no thanks" (or else you would not have posted) so I say, don't worry about a few pieces of fruit. Better to be a little wasteful than seem ungrateful. IMHO.

Thank-you notes for thank-you gifts are impolite.

Then again, pointing out that it's impolite is... well... impolite. Sorry.

Again sorry, but it's impolite, IMO, to point out to the TA that something other than fruit would be desired for a thank you gesture. Also, there is nothing wrong with recognizing the TA's gesture with a simple thank you whether by email, phone or snailmail or in person. Who's impolite here?

How could anybody flame you for that sort of question? Sheesh...if they do they are just looking for something to be upset about!!

What sort of rapport do you have with your TA? Can you joke around and speak freely? We can with ours, and it makes doing business with her a breeze. If that happened to us I would call her when we got back from the trip and make sure she know how much the thought was appreciated. But then I would say something like "but you know, I have to be honest here. Even though that was really sweet of you to send the fruit plate, I feel I should let you know we aren't much into fruit. So hey next time if you REALLY feel like you must send us a bon voyage gift, make it a bottle of really expensive wine!" (ha ha ha) And then of course I would say she really didn't need to send anything, we appreciate her great assistance, etc. I think honesty is the best policy, as long as it's done politely and in a friendly well-meaning way. Humor usually works at letting someone save face while getting a point across.

PS - I am sitting here scratching my head at how your good question (it really was a very good question) went unanswered and instead morphed into a whole debate about bringing fruit on and off ships, feeding starving children, and laws in the Carribbean!

I realize it may go against your grain to let food go to waste, but I think that it is more important to show gratitude for a nice gesture. Apparently you do not feel comfortable telling TA "no thanks" (or else you would not have posted) so I say, don't worry about a few pieces of fruit. Better to be a little wasteful than seem ungrateful. IMHO.

Hi topsailgirl - I agree with you completely :)

Archived