Yet another price drop-

JBert

Back on RCCL's website today, to see that the price dropped another $250 pp (residency rate CT)! ( May 30, 2009 LOS via Miami )

Now, we're paying $1,099.00 PP for a D2 Balcony! I think that we've saved over $1,000 total from catching price drops since we've booked it. Even the RCCL rep was a bit shocked by the savings we've gotten lol.

With that, why do they offer residency discounts? Just a thought?!

We too found a price drop on LOS - but here is the amazing part it is on the April 11th Easter/Spring Break cruise. We were originally in a D1 cabin with 4 people. With the residency pricing special, it was cheaper by $200 to rebook into two E1 cabins. My parents and brother also saved $500-600 on their E2 cabins. Pretty amazing I think for an Easter week cruise - really must reflect the weakness in our economy.

Judy

We too found a price drop on LOS - but here is the amazing part it is on the April 11th Easter/Spring Break cruise. We were originally in a D1 cabin with 4 people. With the residency pricing special, it was cheaper by $200 to rebook into two E1 cabins. My parents and brother also saved $500-600 on their E2 cabins. Pretty amazing I think for an Easter week cruise - really must reflect the weakness in our economy.

Judy

Do remember that depending when you booked a lot of these cruises are just going back to their original pricing when they were first offered a year or 2 ago. As the sail dates get closer, prices raise...this time it hasn't works and they have been lowering back down on just about every cruise. I saw where they lowered interiors by over $400/pp in one day....when I made a post about it the response by almost all was that even with that lowering it was still more than they originally paid....so yes, with the poor economy there is no doubt they are lowering more than ever but again....if you booked early it may not appear as much of a savings compared to late bookers. The prices of most of RCCL's April cruises were out of whack in pricing compared to most other lines that never raised their pricing....so really they are just meeting the other lines pricing in many cases.

On my Oasis cruise for Jan 2010 I booked 2 months ago and the price for my cruise is up close to $2000 from what I paid....I doubt they will ever hold and bet it will come back down as we get within 30-60 days out.

Back on RCCL's website today, to see that the price dropped another $250 pp (residency rate CT)! ( May 30, 2009 LOS via Miami )

Now, we're paying $1,099.00 PP for a D2 Balcony! I think that we've saved over $1,000 total from catching price drops since we've booked it. Even the RCCL rep was a bit shocked by the savings we've gotten lol.

With that, why do they offer residency discounts? Just a thought?!

We was originally booked on the Freedom for April 19th..so I was checking on some prices and on the Liberty for April 25th I was able to save us $1187.00 plus I got a $100.00 on board credit for a D-2 balcony cabin. And I was also able to do the same for my brother and sister-in-law. So, we were able to get our balcony rooms for $849.00 pp..I was so glad that I found this kind of a bargain. :D

You all are lucky finding deals, the prices for a balcony cabin on the Liberty cruise for May 16 have been increasing. They are starting at $1539. I guess the cruise is selling really well. Costco said they added 20 additional agents in January and the phones are ringing off the hook for cruise bookings.

We booked our cruise on the LOS April 11th cruise one year in advance - and were still able to get price drops of $500-600/cabin. I think the original pricing of these cabins one year ago was very high and reflected an economy that was in full swing. I would imagina the this spring break cruise is usually full and a big money maker for them. With the economy in the tank, no one wants to pays the high premium for the Easter cruise and so prices are dropping. It is amazing to me how many cabins are still available for this cruise during a big vacation week for many.

We booked our cruise on the LOS April 11th cruise one year in advance - and were still able to get price drops of $500-600/cabin. I think the original pricing of these cabins one year ago was very high and reflected an economy that was in full swing. I would imagina the this spring break cruise is usually full and a big money maker for them. With the economy in the tank, no one wants to pays the high premium for the Easter cruise and so prices are dropping. It is amazing to me how many cabins are still available for this cruise during a big vacation week for many.

I think an equal maybe bigger issue right now is airfare. I was looking out of curiosity at airfare out of the NYC area for the first half of April to Miami and in most cases the airfare is almost equal to the cruise price.....that's a BIG problem. Again RCCL waited WAY to late to lower prices and it's going to cost them.

I just checked again, and it looks like the price dropped yet again, but the RCCL site is acting up.

I'll have to check again tomorrow AM.

I think RCCL is finally finding that they need to drop prices well before final is due so they can grab people from other lines....they were waiting much to long to start to lower prices and were loosing many customers to other lines who were committed already once RCCL decided they need to lower. On my IOS cruise they waited till a week after final and are now having a hard time trying to fill those rooms so close to sailing....airfares are off the chart for spring break this late costing sometimes more than the entry price on the cruise itself....someone screwed up.

I am a teacher and for some reason the times I can cruise (summer) the prices never seem to go down :(. I check several several times a week.

We just had a $100/pp price drop on our July Mexican Riv cruise, and we've also had price drops for RC cruises we've taken in June, so it can happen. Keep checking! :)

If you want to check for a PD, simply go to the RCCL website, and start to book a "fake" cruise, using the state you live in to see if there's a discount available. If the rate online is cheaper than what you're currently paying, call customer service and they'll adjust it.

For fun the other night, I went on priceline.com to see what the airfare would be if we were to book it ourselves. It ended up being $400 cheaper than RCCL's price, even with the custom airfare charge (going down to MIA the day before).

Is it worth ditching the RCCL air package and booking my own?

If you want to check for a PD, simply go to the RCCL website, and start to book a "fake" cruise, using the state you live in to see if there's a discount available. If the rate online is cheaper than what you're currently paying, call customer service and they'll adjust it.

For fun the other night, I went on priceline.com to see what the airfare would be if we were to book it ourselves. It ended up being $400 cheaper than RCCL's price, even with the custom airfare charge (going down to MIA the day before).

Is it worth ditching the RCCL air package and booking my own?

What airport would you be flying into if you booked on your own not through Priceline, if you use Priceline they will pick your flights which you may or may not like? . $70.00 cab fare one way from FLL to Miami Pier. From MIA to Pier in Miami is about $25.00 one way

Jimbo:)

Do remember that depending when you booked a lot of these cruises are just going back to their original pricing when they were first offered a year or 2 ago. As the sail dates get closer, prices raise...this time it hasn't works and they have been lowering back down on just about every cruise. I saw where they lowered interiors by over $400/pp in one day....when I made a post about it the response by almost all was that even with that lowering it was still more than they originally paid....so yes, with the poor economy there is no doubt they are lowering more than ever but again....if you booked early it may not appear as much of a savings compared to late bookers. The prices of most of RCCL's April cruises were out of whack in pricing compared to most other lines that never raised their pricing....so really they are just meeting the other lines pricing in many cases.

On my Oasis cruise for Jan 2010 I booked 2 months ago and the price for my cruise is up close to $2000 from what I paid....I doubt they will ever hold and bet it will come back down as we get within 30-60 days out.

This has been the case with our current booking. We booked in Dec 2007 and with all the price drops, we still paid less.

All the flights I looked up were Hartford to MIA

Only real reason not to book your own right now is if you aren't 100 percent sure you are taking this cruise. If it's a lock you will be going then save the money and book your own flights and times that you want.

Jimbo:)

Archived