Did you ever spend the night on your balcony?

warmwinds

I'm glad someone else saw this thread as being totally ridiculous, too.

Now people are actually stupid enough to sleep on the balconies, when it is clearly not acceptable behavior. You're not even supposed to hang a darn towel on a chair overnight, let alone sleep out there. I can't believe someone would actually let their child sleep out there. Where is your common sense?????

In the morning, when you woke, if your kid was missing, how would you explain that total lapse or reasoning?

You're being ridiculous. How would my seventeen year old disappear?Sleepwalk and jump over the high railing when she's never sleepwalked before?

If she did sleepwalk she would more likely walk out into the street and be struck by a car.

Most likely a teen would be killed driving...but you're not advocating they don't, are you?

This is hardly high risk behavior.

Or do you believe someone would climb across outside the divider,snatch her and toss her in to the ocean,while we were a few feet away.How preposterous!

Why let them go camping? There are snakes and bears out there! Don't get me started about the dangers of a mall, or lightning strikes,or space debris falling on you.

What if a rogue wave comes and washes you away to never be seen again????

Speaking of dangers at the Mall , when my youngest was 2 , a whole wall collapsed right in front of at our local Mall.This is a 100% true story (happened around 3 years ago).This year , at the same Mall , a crazy ex boyfriend of a girl who worked at one of the stores DROVE his car through the glass entrance doors , took out a gun and shot at the girl.Luckily , she escaped unharmed , but the man was shot by the security guard and died. This happened 10 minutes before opening.

So , maybe the balcony is safer..but I am not going to be sleeping out there because I have bad dreams about rogue waves.

You're being ridiculous. How would my seventeen year old disappear?Sleepwalk and jump over the high railing when she's never sleepwalked before?

If she did sleepwalk she would more likely walk out into the street and be struck by a car.

Most likely a teen would be killed driving...but you're not advocating they don't, are you?

This is hardly high risk behavior.

Or do you believe someone would climb across outside the divider,snatch her and toss her in to the ocean,while we were a few feet away.How preposterous!

Why let them go camping? There are snakes and bears out there! Don't get me started about the dangers of a mall, or lightning strikes,or space debris falling on you.

Do you watch the news, Dr? People disappear and fall over all the time. I edited court documents when the college student disappeared from a RCC ship. She was last seen sleeping in her chair on the balcony by her brother. She was never seen or heard from again.

I wouldn't EVER take a chance on letting my child sleep on a balcony. You can if you want to, it's your kid.

This is my thread :)

I no longer have a child who is a child. She is not even a teen. She is a mother :)...which makes me a GRANDMOTHER!!!! I was not raised in a barn. I do not sleepwalk. I do not plan on dragging my mattress out onto the verandah.

What I want is one night of recapturing my youth...when I DID sleep outside by the pool in Bermuda with the young man I had been out dancing with all night (shhh...it was NOT my husband)

But sometimes you can't go back...I'm going to be...COLD, WET, UNCOMFORTABLE, FROWNED UPON BY VOYERISTIC WINDOW WASHERS, BALCONY NEIGHBORS, MY ROOM STEWARD WHEN HE FINDS ME THERE IN THE MORNING....because my FEAR is that I will LOCK MYSELF OUT!!!

And where will my husband of 32 years be on, this, our anniversary cruise...why, asleep in the bed not even aware I'm not there!!!! :)

So will I try it?

SURE...for maybe half an hour until my old aching bones tell me this was not a good idea and what was I thinking and get back in your nice warm bed!!

When I started this post it sure sounded like a good idea at the time...

Do you watch the news, Dr? People disappear and fall over all the time. I edited court documents when the college student disappeared from a RCC ship. She was last seen sleeping in her chair on the balcony by her brother. She was never seen or heard from again.

I wouldn't EVER take a chance on letting my child sleep on a balcony. You can if you want to, it's your kid.

I guess I live dangerously and was not a good parent to my,All-American,Ivy League,Law school Magna Cum Laude graduate,by allowing her to live in a house that had sharp pointy objects like kitchen knives and Drano.My goodness ,she could have drunk the poison and slashed her wrists.

Yes people fall overboard,most were drinking to excess,or in a possible conflict with lover or

spouse.In the case you sighted,I'd check the brother.

What if a rogue wave comes and washes you away to never be seen again????

So , maybe the balcony is safer..but I am not going to be sleeping out there because I have bad dreams about rogue waves.

I sympathize with you. I too have a secret fear of flying vampire spaghetti monsters and try to avoid them at all cost.

warmwinds,

I say GO FOR IT! I don't think it's such a crazy question to ask. I've seen other posts where people have said they've slept out on their veranda. Honestly, I've also thought about it...so there! I'm not bringing my kids with me. (They're staying home w/ DH.) I don't sleepwalk. I wasn't raised in a barn, either. I don't have to worry about window washers since there's only one deck above us and it doesn't have windows. And I certainly wouldn't think of bringing my mattress out there...my sister would think I'm crazy if I did that!

Cheers to you, warmwinds! You only live once and it's too short as it is. Enjoy your cruise and your veranda!!

I no longer have a child who is a child. She is not even a teen. She is a mother :)...which makes me a GRANDMOTHER!!!! I was not raised in a barn. I do not sleepwalk. I do not plan on dragging my mattress out onto the verandah.

What I want is one night of recapturing my youth...when I DID sleep outside by the pool in Bermuda with the young man I had been out dancing with all night (shhh...it was NOT my husband)

But sometimes you can't go back...I'm going to be...COLD, WET, UNCOMFORTABLE, FROWNED UPON BY VOYERISTIC WINDOW WASHERS, BALCONY NEIGHBORS, MY ROOM STEWARD WHEN HE FINDS ME THERE IN THE MORNING....because my FEAR is that I will LOCK MYSELF OUT!!!

And where will my husband of 32 years be on, this, our anniversary cruise...why, asleep in the bed not even aware I'm not there!!!! :)

So will I try it?

SURE...for maybe half an hour until my old aching bones tell me this was not a good idea and what was I thinking and get back in your nice warm bed!!

Go for it!

Life's already too short,grab the gusto,and avoid those who suffer from a paralyzing case of what ifs.What good is living long if you really aren't living free?

I ithnk sleeping out there soundsl ike fun. I prefer a bed buti have dose off out there.

at least you only to want sleep. I understand balcony's can have been used for more than sleeping.

some people just do not know how to have fun anymore. years ago deck chairs were leftout and many of us enjoyed watching the stars at 2 am. I am sure thati s whee i dosed off.

warminds, we've slept out side several times although not all night. And some times not on purpose. If you have an aft balconey, the hum of the engines and the view (with the green shimmering off the back of the ship) - well its very easy to fall asleep out there. Especially after a full meal accompanied by a few glasses of wine ;).

But do beware - rain happens. Last cruise (not on X) about 2:30am. After the cold shower (so to speak) it took about 3 hours to get back to sleep.

I don't believe they really use those automated washers while the ship is at sea. They are there to wash off the salt spray - why do that when the spray is happening ???

They definitely do use them when in port and you can get an unwelcome drench from them if you decide to stay out your balconey. They also clean the windows of the dining rooms and other public windows when at port. If you are below, well "watch out from the top".

I watch the news and here are the facts. Most people who have gone missing from cruise ships are either drunks or suicides. Unfortunately, that is probably the case with the girl you are talking about, Amy Bradley.

Here's the facts...

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html

I would not let a child sleep on the veranda alone but then it's like everything else, depends on the age.

I guess I live dangerously and was not a good parent to my,All-American,Ivy League,Law school Magna Cum Laude graduate,by allowing her to live in a house that had sharp pointy objects like kitchen knives and Drano.My goodness ,she could have drunk the poison and slashed her wrists.

Yes people fall overboard,most were drinking to excess,or in a possible conflict with lover or

spouse.In the case you sighted,I'd check the brother.

You didn't mention the traffic on Rt. 35 or the Parkway...

Go for it!

Life's already too short,grab the gusto,and avoid those who suffer from a paralyzing case of what ifs.What good is living long if you really aren't living free?

Know what? I agree with your principal, but who are you to tell people they are living in fear because they have legitimate concerns?

I think this thread should be closed.

I slept on the balcony on the Constellation in one of the sweet sixteen rooms on the sixth floor. It was out of desperation. I was travelling with a heavy snorrer and found the balcony the only place to get any sleep. It worked out fine!

Barbara

are you implying it never rains on =X= cruises???;):rolleyes:;):confused:;)

No, just saying what happened on last cruise - NCL if you must know.

Actually, our last cruise on =X= was a transatlantic from Barcelona to FLL. And dang if didn't rain one day and one day it was so hot we couldn't use the balcony. Shame on =X= for ruining two days of a 14 day cruise.

They better get it together because we are doing another 14 day cruise in December, and if they can't control the weather better we are definitely switching cruise lines for good ;).

We have slept under the stars on our boat. I did it as a kid. You'll be fine on a cruise ship...forget what your bones tell you, you can always take a nap later...or some Advil:)

No - I don't understand the attraction of a night on a veranda... the beds aren't THAT bad!

I did 'deck passage' in April '78 on a ship that sailed the Brindisi Italy - Patras Greece route (via Corfu and Igoumenitsa). The ship left around 11 PM; a few other hardly souls and I shared a bottle of grappa (aweful stuff) and did our best to stay out of the wind... I think that put a permanent kibosh on sleeping on decks.;) I wasn't planning on debarking Corfu but when the sun finally rose and the blood alcohol subsided, it seemed like a TERRIFIC idea! The next night was in a cheap comfortable portside hotel in Corfu; I had no interest in sleeping outdoors there either. Fortunately, the resumed stretch down to Patras during the day was stunning (the mountain ringed harbor of Igoumenitsa across from Corfu is impressive too).:)

No to deck loungers for sleeping overnight.

Dr.Fun..

I too share a fear of flying vampires (too many Stephanie Meyers books).One more reason to avoid sleeping on the dangerous balcony .(along with the rogue waves)

Kim(the real dr anaconda´s wife)

The actual handle was not Dr.Anaconda...your hubby can have that one.

Mine was actually Anaconda9 !

Archived