corkage Fee

4bellablue

In my opinion the corkage fee is ridiculous! NCL needs to get rid of it!!

Do you mean get rid of fee and the option to bring on your own wine? RCI has that "no wine" brought on at all policy and do enforce it.

All the other lines have some version of bring on some wine and pay a corkage fee of varing amounts. these include Carnival, Princess, HAL, etc.

The corkage fee seems to be a compromise to make sure the cruiseline gets some profit off of a traditional profit item. The cruise line's operation model relies on a good per centage of profit off of alcohol. they could change that and raise all the fares.

Anyway, seems like they have found a livable solution to me (except RCI which has the worst wine list with a high markup in my opinion).

Cheers.

Do you mean get rid of fee and the option to bring on your own wine? RCI has that "no wine" brought on at all policy and do enforce it.

All the other lines have some version of bring on some wine and pay a corkage fee of varing amounts. these include Carnival, Princess, HAL, etc.

The corkage fee seems to be a compromise to make sure the cruiseline gets some profit off of a traditional profit item. The cruise line's operation model relies on a good per centage of profit off of alcohol. they could change that and raise all the fares.

Anyway, seems like they have found a livable solution to me (except RCI which has the worst wine list with a high markup in my opinion).

Cheers.

I didn't know that about RCCL because we didn't buy any wine while on our cruise last year but I didn't read anything about a "corkage fee" or bringing wine on board in their program.

While sailing with Disney I believe you can buy alcohol like rum and liqueurs while in the port stops and bring them on board without any charge because we did this openly without anyone saying anything. Would a corkage fee apply to rum and liqueurs on NCL?

I didn't know that about RCCL because we didn't buy any wine while on our cruise last year but I didn't read anything about a "corkage fee" or bringing wine on board in their program.

While sailing with Disney I believe you can buy alcohol like rum and liqueurs while in the port stops and bring them on board without any charge because we did this openly without anyone saying anything. Would a corkage fee apply to rum and liqueurs on NCL?

You cannot bring hard liquor onto NCL ships at all.

Would a corkage fee apply to rum and liqueurs on NCL?

No corkage for rum & liqueurs...BUT-they will hold them until the end of the cruise, so you can't drink them on the cruise (that's the policy, but I'm sure you'll hear of times they were missed)

Disney is good about that. They know the only way to keep the adults happy while being surrounded by thousand's of kids is to allow them to stay nice and toasted.

One thing NCL has over many of the mass market lines is there's really no limit on the amount of wine you can bring onboard. That's a definite perk and one I'm willing to pay $15 a bottle for. It really keeps our bar tab manageable! LOL

Order a bar setup for liquor, obmarcr. It's much cheaper than paying the per drink price from a bartender.

And just out of curiosity, why is your font so large? It almost seems like you're yelling.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum

Wow a $15 per bottle corkage fee . . . what if you bring your own cork? :mad:

that made me laugh... I was thinking "what if I bring my own corkscrew"- of course not in my carry-on when flying out to FL... :D that is a whole 'nother thread.

I usually dont comment.... but.....

I know that cruiselines have a right to make money... ok, ok

So why do they let people bring on their own bottles of water, or 12 packs of soda? they certainly profit from people buying those items onboard- I think a can of Coke was around $2 on RCI.

I am sure they sell cigarettes at an outrageous amount, so if I carry on my own pack, do I have to pay a fee?

I agree that the fee is irritating. I dont mind paying more to be SERVED wine at dinner- I EXPECT to pay the same for a glass of wine in a restaurant that I might pay for the same bottle at a grocery store. But in my cabin? gimme a break... ESPECIALLY if I had to take out the cork AND pour it into a little plastic cup....

that made me laugh... I was thinking "what if I bring my own corkscrew"- of course not in my carry-on when flying out to FL... :D that is a whole 'nother thread.

I usually dont comment.... but.....

I know that cruiselines have a right to make money... ok, ok

So why do they let people bring on their own bottles of water, or 12 packs of soda? they certainly profit from people buying those items onboard- I think a can of Coke was around $2 on RCI.

I am sure they sell cigarettes at an outrageous amount, so if I carry on my own pack, do I have to pay a fee?

I agree that the fee is irritating. I dont mind paying more to be SERVED wine at dinner- I EXPECT to pay the same for a glass of wine in a restaurant that I might pay for the same bottle at a grocery store. But in my cabin? gimme a break... ESPECIALLY if I had to take out the cork AND pour it into a little plastic cup....

Would you like some wine with your whine? :D

Cheers.

RCI does not enforce the no wine policy. We have never sailed RCI without bringing wine onboard.

Carnival allows (at least it used to when we sailed them) fine wine for a "special celebration"...we never paid a corkage fee either.

• 2 weeks later...
RCI does not enforce the no wine policy. We have never sailed RCI without bringing wine onboard.

Carnival allows (at least it used to when we sailed them) fine wine for a "special celebration"...we never paid a corkage fee either.

I'm very curious about your RCI experience. I have seen MANY reports on the RCI board from the last two years that the wine was taken. some wine has been returned and some has been lost. And even reports that if somehow someone got their wine on board, the dining room staff refused to open it. When and where was your experience? Are things changing again?

Our experience with Carnival's lenient wine policy was in Dec 08.

cheers.

I've posted this before, and nobody knew! Does anyone here know how they handle the mini 4-packs of wine (yeah, the cheap stuff). Since my husband doesn't drink much wine, these minis always suit me well. My plan is to bring them in my cruise carry-on (avoiding the "naughty room") and hope for... maybe... one $15 corkage fee for the 4-pack. Who knows!

I'm very curious about your RCI experience. I have seen MANY reports on the RCI board from the last two years that the wine was taken. some wine has been returned and some has been lost. And even reports that if somehow someone got their wine on board, the dining room staff refused to open it. When and where was your experience? Are things changing again?

Our experience with Carnival's lenient wine policy was in Dec 08.

cheers.

Our most recent experience with RCI was last August on the Sov. of Seas. I packed two bottles, hubby had one, Son-in-law had at least 2.

We drank ours in the cabin. We ordered wine in the dining room with dinner. We actually brought too many with us, after all it was only a 4 night cruise, so ended up taking a few home. :rolleyes:

We haven't sailed with Carnival for several years, but always brought on a few bottles of champagne..never a problem.;)

Archived