Crown - sailaway buffet

TwinCruiserMom

We are thinking of skipping the dining room the first night on the Crown and wanted some information about the sailaway buffet.

I know there is shrimp, claws and crab legs on the cold buffet - we have often picked up a plate of appetizers before our late seating on the Emerald and CB.

But, DS loves Prime Rib and I have read sporadically that it is also offered at this first night buffet. Has anyone seen Prime Rib on the Crown at the buffet on sailaway night?

Is only the Horizon open on sailaway night or do they have another buffet in Cafe Caribe too? You can tell I have never skipped the sailaway dinner in the dining room before :)

Thanks for the info!

We are thinking of skipping the dining room the first night on the Crown and wanted some information about the sailaway buffet.

I know there is shrimp, claws and crab legs on the cold buffet - we have often picked up a plate of appetizers before our late seating on the Emerald and CB.

But, DS loves Prime Rib and I have read sporadically that it is also offered at this first night buffet. Has anyone seen Prime Rib on the Crown at the buffet on sailaway night?

Is only the Horizon open on sailaway night or do they have another buffet in Cafe Caribe too? You can tell I have never skipped the sailaway dinner in the dining room before :)

Thanks for the info!

There was prime rib on the sailaway buffet on Feb.1. I didn't have any - too interested in the seafood :), but my husband did see it, and was surprised I hadn't as it was the perfect medium rare that I love. Hope that helps.

There was prime rib on the sailaway buffet on Feb.1. I didn't have any - too interested in the seafood :), but my husband did see it, and was surprised I hadn't as it was the perfect medium rare that I love. Hope that helps.

That sounds terrific! My son can eat all the prime rib he wants and he just loves it medium rare :)

Did you see any other goodies on the buffet that night? I just never seem to make it past the mounds of seafood when we have gone up for our appetizers.

Did you enjoy your cruise on the Crown? We cannot wait for March 1st!

Thanks for the post!

When my hubby and I sailed the Crown we didn't know about the sail away buffet but "happened by it" to our good fortune.

We had chosen anytime dining at booking so we indulged and ate both!LOL

The sail away buffet was wonderful with all types of seafood-lobster claws, crab legs, shrimp, several fish dishes and of course the carving station-a real treat!

We dragged ourselves into the last 10 minutes of seating in the main dining room and managed 1 course or two ;)

We ate at the "sailaway buffet" on the Crown on Feb 1st and since I'm not a seafood eater, I had the prime rib. It was excellent. I also had lots of other choices like potatoes, salad and a number of other things. . .

Hey PJ9876. . . great to meet you last week. Hope your (and your inlaws) trip home was uneventful. . .

Lisa

I am just enjoying reading all these posts about the great food on sailaway night :) Thanks everyone! I think I have been a real dummy for going to the dining room the first night on each of my cruises, because this sure sounds like a buffet not to miss.

My sons (14) are happy too as they do not have to throw on dress pants for their first night onboard :rolleyes:

We cannot wait for some sun as it is gray and damp here in Ohio. I shouldn't complain because it is in the 50's instead of near zero like it was a few weeks ago.

What time does the sail away buffet start?

This is from the January 18th Crown Patters that were posted a couple weeks ago:

Sailaway Buffet

5:30 - 11:00pm

Stay with us and continue the sailaway fun at our fantastic dinner buffet, featuring the magnificent Chilled Seafood Extravaganza...

At the sailaway on Feb 1 is was super crowded at 5:30 PM. I suppose more than normal because of the game. At opening there must have been a 20 minute wait to go through the line. Later on in the evening you could walk right through.

At the sailaway on Feb 1 is was super crowded at 5:30 PM. I suppose more than normal because of the game. At opening there must have been a 20 minute wait to go through the line. Later on in the evening you could walk right through.

We had the same experience last month, but there was no special event. I swore people thought that they would run out of seafood if they did not get in within the first 5 minutes. We took one look at the line, chose to walk around deck for 20 minutes, came back and the line was gone.

Archived