What's your favorite class of Royal Caribbean Ships?

Texas Teen

What is your Favorite class of ships?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Favorite class of ships?

• The Oasis (Genesis) Class!
    • The Freedom & Voyager Class!
    • The Radiance & The Vision Class!

Wow Chris, you're confusing me!!! :confused: (I'm very confused!) You Voted Oasis class in the poll, and you like to talk about Oasis OTS all the time (You have THREE Oasis OTS cruises coming up!), yet, you're also talking about how you like the Sovereign Class! The're opposite classes! :eek: The Reason I put the Radiance & Vision Class ships together is because they are Very Similar! The Voyager & The Freedom Class ships are similar, too! That's why they are together like that!

The Reason I put the Radiance & Vision Class ships together is because they are Very Similar! The Voyager & The Freedom Class ships are similar, too! That's why they are together like that!
Out of curiosity, have you been on both a Radiance and Vision class ship? If so, what makes you say they are "Very Similar"? Personally I don't find them that similar. There is much better dining options, cabins, things to do, and ship layout on the Radiance class versus the Vision class. My opinion only and you are free to have your differing one.

Out of curiosity, have you been on both a Radiance and Vision class ship? If so, what makes you say they are "Very Similar"? Personally I don't find them that similar. There is much better dining options, cabins, things to do, and ship layout on the Radiance class versus the Vision class. My opinion only and you are free to have your differing one.

All the cruising info I know has come from the Internet!

The Radiance and the Vision Class were both designed for worldwide cruises, with lots of windows!

The Voyager and the Freedom Class were both designed for The Caribbean, with lots of activities!

Wow Chris, you're confusing me!!! :confused: (I'm very confused!) You Voted Oasis class in the poll, and you like to talk about Oasis OTS all the time (You have THREE Oasis OTS cruises coming up!), yet, you're also talking about how you like the Sovereign Class! The're opposite classes! :eek: The Reason I put the Radiance & Vision Class ships together is because they are Very Similar! The Voyager & The Freedom Class ships are similar, too! That's why they are together like that!

Yes i do have 3 Oasis cruises coming up but if this economy gets worse maybe just 1 or 2 or maybe none! I have not yet sailed on a ship smaller than the Radiance Of The Seas but i sure want to! To my those ships represent RCCL! :D

Just because something is old and small does not mean its bad! I REALLY want to sail on Royal Caribbean's older ships. That's what cruising 'is' the Sovereign Of The Seas was a ship that put Royal Caribbean where they are today! Many people still enjoy those ship and wish to sail on them over the newer ships like the Freedom and Oasis! :D

Those ships had small cabins. Small as in very small. I would never sail on one of them again!!! Back when those ships were in their prime Royal Caribbean had a bad reputation among some cruisers because they had the smallest cabins of any cruise line. Those ships were innovative for their time because they were the first with atriums but now they are very outdated.

Vision and Radiance Class are not very similar.

I don't think too many people enjoy ships that old! Because the Soverign class is small, it could go along with the Vision class. Does BTW: Does anyone know what the Soverign class will be renamed? Monarch class, or Majesty class?

Dylan, do you realize back not so long ago, like 20 years...most ships were far smaller. I could fit some of the smaller ones in the pond on the ranch, now however Voyager would take up a bit more space than the pond offers. :eek:

Some folks would be able to explain even better but all of these big ships, like everything in RCCL's fleet definitely are a size up from truly old cruise ships. Also, old is relative...One client is 97 and acts young still.

I enjoyed Majesty...its smaller sure, but still way bigger than anything I ever worked on.

Dylan, do you realize back not so long ago, like 20 years...most ships were far smaller. I could fit some of the smaller ones in the pond on the ranch, now however Voyager would take up a bit more space than the pond offers. :eek:

Some folks would be able to explain even better but all of these big ships, like everything in RCCL's fleet definitely are a size up from truly old cruise ships. Also, old is relative...One client is 97 and acts young still.

I enjoyed Majesty...its smaller sure, but still way bigger than anything I ever worked on.

Thats a good point you bring up Rancher Dave.

Texas Teen, the average ship, even 20-30 years ago was maybe 1/4 of the size of the average american mass market cruise ship now. Heres a short timeline to show you what we mean (going purely on memory here, so may be off a year or 2 here or there :p)

1971 Song of Norway 18,000 GRT (later stretched to 23,000 GRT)

1982 Song of America 37,000 GRT (twice the size of its predecessor)

1988 Sovereign of the Seas 73,000 GRT (again, twice the size of its predecessor)

1999 Voyager of the Seas 138,000 GRT (again, twice the size of its predecessor)

2009 Oasis of the Seas 220,000 GRT (1.5 times the size of its predecessor)

These are the classes of ships that really make RCI what they are today, sure there are some other much loved classes in between, but these are the classes that really gave the competition a run for there money.

So, before you call the Sovereign class small, you might want to think about when it first debuted, it was more of a wow factor than going from the Voyager class to the Oasis class size wise. There was nothing else bigger and so innovative at the time. It was the Oasis of the Seas of the 80's.......

Yes i do have 3 Oasis cruises coming up but if this economy gets worse maybe just 1 or 2 or maybe none! I have not yet sailed on a ship smaller than the Radiance Of The Seas but i sure want to! To my those ships represent RCCL! :D

You're saying you might cancel those cruises?!?! :eek: Don't Cancel those cruises! Send me onboard, instead! :) I want to go on Oasis!!!!! :D LOL! :p Have Fun on whatever old ship you go on!

Just because something is old and small does not mean its bad! I REALLY want to sail on Royal Caribbean's older ships. That's what cruising 'is' the Sovereign Of The Seas was a ship that put Royal Caribbean where they are today! Many people still enjoy those ship and wish to sail on them over the newer ships like the Freedom and Oasis! :D

I feel that Royal set the pace with Song of America, Song of Norway (our first cruise). That's going wayyyyy back.

We were treated like royalty and boy were those rooms small!

I'm curious about the Oasis votes. Sure the Oasis looks magnificent, but how could it be a favorite if no one's been on it yet?

I totally agree

Yes I am sailing on the Oasis on December 5th

But for all I know

It may be too much

All we know about the Oasis right now is that it floats.

I've sampled a few ships, but LOVE the Radiance class. Lots of glass=constant excellent views in public areas. Lots of balcony cabins - the more the better IMHO. All the amenities I ACTUALLY want (I love having the option of Chops and Portofino).

Perfect size, not too big. I suspect that on the larger ships there is no chance of getting a pool side chair with that many extra passengers and not a proportional increase in topside real estate. It is already very difficult to snag a lounge chair pool side without the added people. Also, the larger ships have been adding amenities I have no interest in (ice skating being the most needless . . .)

Perfect size, not too small. Smaller ships didn't have Chops or Portofino yet, and I like these. Also, if you hit swells you will feel it a lot more on smaller ships.

Archived