Solstice - Oceanview Cafe, Slippery When Wet

CelebrityMan

On our recent Solstice cruise (we loved the ship!! and we had a GREAT time!) we were quite surprised at how slippery was the tile floor in the Oceanview Cafe!!

I'm no tottering traveler with one foot in the grave (jus' trying for a little levity, there...), but am a middle-aged man who loves to hike and walks miles daily.

I wore my usual hiking sandal shoes -- made for wet conditions -- and I STILL found the floor slippery, nearly falling flat several times. This was not necessarily due to food that someone had spilled, but several times was just from having come in from crossing wet outer decks.

I'm hoping that if we post these experiences here, Celebrity officials who read these boards will select a less slippery-prone tiling for the Oceanview floor on future S-class ships. Hey, I can dream can't I....? ;)

CM

I actually thought the tile floor in the Solarium was even more slippery. Didn't notice it as much in the Oceanview but thanks....I'll be watching when we are back on board soon!

She is a great ship, isn't she?!? :)

Hi Host Anne,

...well, not really, but isn't it odd, I didn't find Solarium slippery at all. :confused:

Yes, it's a GREAT ship!! We thought the Solarium was one of our favorite spots..., good to just hang out there in the comfy loungers, enjoy the sound of the water, and be mesmerized by that cool water feature!

SO much to love on Solstice!

CM

On our recent Solstice cruise (we loved the ship!! and we had a GREAT time!) we were quite surprised at how slippery was the tile floor in the Oceanview Cafe!!

I'm no tottering traveler with one foot in the grave (jus' trying for a little levity, there...), but am a middle-aged man who loves to hike and walks miles daily.

I wore my usual hiking sandal shoes -- made for wet conditions -- and I STILL found the floor slippery, nearly falling flat several times. This was not necessarily due to food that someone had spilled, but several times was just from having come in from crossing wet outer decks.

I'm hoping that if we post these experiences here, Celebrity officials who read these boards will select a less slippery-prone tiling for the Oceanview floor on future S-class ships. Hey, I can dream can't I....? ;)

CM

On the solstice,we actually found the self service areas for coffee ,juice and ice frequently slippery due to spillage .Cleanup attempts were constant and often there were those yellow caution signs on the floor. You have to be aware that they are there or you can trip on them.

On the solstice,we actually found the self service areas for coffee ,juice and ice frequently slippery due to spillage .Cleanup attempts were constant and often there were those yellow caution signs on the floor. You have to be aware that they are there or you can trip on them.

Yowch. a caution sign causing a fall... the irony! Maybe they should put something at eye level too.

I have been mentioning this slippery condition on the thread about "trays"--(check it out) It is really hazardous IMHO-- ( & unsightly)

There were many spills of beverage & food needing pick up & many of those caution signs around... They need to have carts so waiters can bring you beverages instead ..

Now that they must be of this condition I am sure something will be done--maybe some long floor mats

Ironically, the food was very good in there but we stopped going due to the slippery floor & chaotic serving patterns--more like a supermarket than an eatery--I know it moves things faster but it was a maze to me...

We did not have any problems in the Solarium but always try to walk carefully...

The main area that was slippery in the Oceanview was the beverage station. I really felt bad for the poor attendants, no matter how hard they tried they just could not keep it dry. Very strange, since I've never seen this as a problem on other Celebrity ships. Maybe some rubber mats are in order?

I found that there were some slippery tiles both in the solarium and in the pool area on the way to the ladies room that you'd use from the solarium (does that make sense?). They looked smoother and a more clear white than the other tiles and once I realized that I just stepped very carefully on them.

Virginia

While on the Solstice with friends in December, our friend (who is very active and fit) slipped while walking through the Solarium and ended up with a very bad cut on his foot. He was wearing Crocs and not walking fast. Later that same day he saw some officers looking at and discussing the floor in the area he fell, but nothing was done to the floor the entire time we were on that cruise. We all assumed that it would be taken care of quickly, but it was not. We didn't notice any issues with the floor in the Oceanview, but any tile can be slippery when wet.

Ann

...We didn't notice any issues with the floor in the Oceanview, but any tile can be slippery when wet.

Ann

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the falls/almost falls in other areas.

While I agree that most any tile can be slippery when wet, what caught us by surprise was that having cruised on almost every Celebrity ship, this was the first time we could remember floors being slippery.

CM

I found the beverage areas in the buffet rather oddly designed. For some reason they kept the hot chocolate powder at only one of the two beverage areas. (Maybe that has improved now.) For another, some of the machines would run out of whatever liquid they were dispensing and you would have to find a waiter to tell.

I admit I was more used to Royal Caribbean's method of serving beverages in the Windjammer, so it took me awhile to figure things out and adapt. I did really prefer the ceramic coffee cups on Solstice as opposed to RCI's plastic cups.

Archived