What Happened to the Deck Chairs?

CTLeeA

We were on the Valor 2 weeks ago and were on a top, open deck( not sure which one) and there were stacks and stacks of chaise lounges all tied up with rope. I suffer from considerable back pain and need to sit often. There I was among hundreds of chaises and no where to sit. And there was no one around to untie them. On a nice sunny day what would be the point of having all those chairs and not being able to use them. I dont get it. Not everyone wants to sit around the pool. Sometimes I just want to lie in a quiet spot in the sun.

And there were no chairs on the promenade deck either. There were a few wooden benches that looked like they were storage units of some kind.

the old type Wooden (teak?) would return..also the chair was your for the entire voyage..and there were Desk Stewards to cater to your every whim, and keep anyone else out of your chair. A card with your name was placed in a slot on the top..and always a nice fresh towel for your arrival. OH, he would bring you a DOD, or rub oil on you! Ahh, but alas..progress and plastic..:(

I can never remember a time when Carnival placed lounge chairs on the Promenade deck of Spirit class ships. Their used to be loads of lounge chairs on the exterior Lobby deck on Destiny/Triumph/Conquest class ships. On our last Conquest sailing their were still some lounge chairs but not nearly as many.

This picture is from the Legend in January 2005, no lounge chairs four years ago.

1498033991080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

we had a very enjoyable cruise on the Spirit but there were no deck chairs on the prom deck whatsoever...are other Carn. ships doing away with them as well?

On many newer ships (and some older refits), deck chairs are no longer permitted due to fire safety. They need to keep that deck clear in case of fire or evacuation.

I can never remember a time when Carnival placed lounge chairs on the Promenade deck of Spirit class ships. Their used to be loads of lounge chairs on the exterior Lobby deck on Destiny/Triumph/Conquest class ships. On our last Conquest sailing their were still some lounge chairs but not nearly as many.

This picture is from the Legend in January 2005, no lounge chairs four years ago.

1498033991080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

That's how it was when we were on the Spirit in 2005......I did see a few people move their own chairs to that deck to get some shade......

We were on the Valor 2 weeks ago and were on a top, open deck( not sure which one) and there were stacks and stacks of chaise lounges all tied up with rope. I suffer from considerable back pain and need to sit often. There I was among hundreds of chaises and no where to sit. And there was no one around to untie them. On a nice sunny day what would be the point of having all those chairs and not being able to use them. I dont get it. Not everyone wants to sit around the pool. Sometimes I just want to lie in a quiet spot in the sun.

And there were no chairs on the promenade deck either. There were a few wooden benches that looked like they were storage units of some kind.

Why would they leave so many chairs tied up? In the past, there were always chairs available on the upper decks to lounge on. I can see them putting no chairs on the promenade deck, but the upper decks? We sail on the Valor in April and if all the chairs are taken and I see some tied up, I will be undoing them so that myself and my family have a place to sit.

That's been one of my only complaints for years.

My first cruise on Jubilee, there were chairs on the promenade deck.

My second cruise on Nordic Empress, there were chairs on the very-wide promenade deck. You could sit next to the wall in the shade, or drag the chair over to the rail in the sun. And that promenade deck completely circled the ship. And they even had them on the higher, forward (secret) decks on Empress, too. It was great.

After that, NO chairs on any promenade deck. When I've asked about them here, everyone says, 'oh, you can't have them there. The muster stations are there and it would be a hazard.'

But I've seen photos of them on other lines' ships. I see them on ships docked next to us in ports.

I have one of the forward cabins on Victory. How great would it be if there were chairs out there. For the price of a 4A, it would almost be like having a huge, private balcony, WITH somewhere to sit and enjoy that space!

I don't get it. We don't ALL want to be packed around the main pool like sardines. But I've never been on board when the chairs weren't out near the pool areas. Sometimes, they still are in stacks mid-morning, but by noon, all the chairs are out.

On many newer ships (and some older refits)' date=' deck chairs are no longer permitted due to fire safety. They need to keep that deck clear in case of fire or evacuation.[/quote']

Has this been mandated by SOLAS or another regulatory agency and when did it take effect? Every ship I've been on with RCCL, HAL, Princess and a few others all had chairs lining the Promenade decks.

As for the stacking and tying down of deck chairs on the upper decks, I never understood why CCL does this. On the Paradise, they actually made us get out of our chairs on the upper pool deck (at 5pm) and took them away to stack and tie down. :(:confused:

I love Carnival but if I were to find one complaint, it would be lack of chairs out at night. Loving the wind and the stars, my favorite spot at night is on the top deck but there is never a chair to sit on so I don't hang out long there. Its a bummer. I've only sailed on one other cruise line so far and really appreciated the deck chairs left out at night. (RCL) Going to be interesting to see how NCL handles that when we cruise out in August.

Has this been mandated by SOLAS or another regulatory agency and when did it take effect? Every ship I've been on with RCCL, HAL, Princess and a few others all had chairs lining the Promenade decks.

LOL! If it was they wouldn't let people drag their own chairs over there.........and they do.......

Someone is blowing smoke up their backside:D

I was on the Miracle out of NYC this past Sept.2008 and no deck chairs on Promenade Deck either. However, I was on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas out of Cape Liberty,NJ this past Dec.2008 and there were deck chairs on their Promenade Deck. We used them a great deal. We like to be away from the chair hogs and noise in the afternoons. Its nice there if You want to read a book or just take a nap or just relax. Very enjoyable. So if there is a Fire Law, why wasn't Royal Caribbean abiding by it as well? I think, they just can't be bothered.

That's been one of my only complaints for years.

My first cruise on Jubilee, there were chairs on the promenade deck.

My second cruise on Nordic Empress, there were chairs on the very-wide promenade deck. You could sit next to the wall in the shade, or drag the chair over to the rail in the sun. And that promenade deck completely circled the ship. And they even had them on the higher, forward (secret) decks on Empress, too. It was great.

After that, NO chairs on any promenade deck. When I've asked about them here, everyone says, 'oh, you can't have them there. The muster stations are there and it would be a hazard.'

But I've seen photos of them on other lines' ships. I see them on ships docked next to us in ports.

I have one of the forward cabins on Victory. How great would it be if there were chairs out there. For the price of a 4A, it would almost be like having a huge, private balcony, WITH somewhere to sit and enjoy that space!

I don't get it. We don't ALL want to be packed around the main pool like sardines. But I've never been on board when the chairs weren't out near the pool areas. Sometimes, they still are in stacks mid-morning, but by noon, all the chairs are out.

On the spirit class, Spirit Pride Legend Miracle, the outside promenade deck, Deck 3, is also the Muster station deck and your embarkation station for the Life Boats. If we put chairs on this deck and there was a emergency that required you to reach your muster station, there would not be enough room for all guests with the chairs on the deck as well. That's why on this class we do not put chairs out.

On the Destany and Conquest classes, Muster stations and the embarkation stations are one deck above on deck 4 leaving deck 3 open for guests to use deck chairs.

Hope this answers your questions.

On the spirit class, Spirit Pride Legend Miracle, the outside promenade deck, Deck 3, is also the Muster station deck and your embarkation station for the Life Boats. If we put chairs on this deck and there was a emergency that required you to reach your muster station, there would not be enough room for all guests with the chairs on the deck as well. That's why on this class we do not put chairs out.

On the Destany and Conquest classes, Muster stations and the embarkation stations are one deck above on deck 4 leaving deck 3 open for guests to use deck chairs.

Hope this answers your questions.

Can you walk around the ship[outside] on deck 4 or just deck 3?

Can you walk around the ship[outside] on deck 4 or just deck 3?

The doors leading outside on deck 4 are marked emergency exit. On the Conquest we were allowed to use the space which made it possible to go from Alfred's to the photo gallery without having to go through the upper level of the Renoir dining room or using another deck. There isn't anything to see on the outside space as the lifeboats block the view.

I know that the Spirit cousins (The same basic lay out of ship) on Holland America and Cunard (Queen Victoria) do have deck chairs on the Promenade deck. Also the embarkcation deck for their lifeboats.

All I can say is keep putting that on comment cards and maybe they will add a few. I like the funship style and the value for the money so I am not putting down Carnival for this. The good thing is that the lack of chairs makes this alway a great place to walk my laps unless they are hoseing down a section. On the Pride this very nice area seemed underused. Crew members would sneak out of the dining room to have a smoke.

Tom in Long Beach

Archived