Is maimi Dangerous?

Kleevis02

Hello Everyone, Im a newbie here and new to cruising, head out on the first cruise on 3/02 out of the POM, on the norweigen sky, still havent booked a hotel for pre or post cruise, I have been reading else where that miami is pretty dangerous, was wondering if anyone has any insight here on where to go and where to not go.

Thank you

It is a major city and has many of the same issues as other large metropolitan areas. Stay away from dark areas at night; take a taxi back from a restaurant.

You don't have much time left to find a hotel. I love the Intercontinental at Bayside but there are others which may be less expensive. Dowtown Miami is the best area for a one night pre-cruise. I bought on easyclicktravel.com for next November at $92 = $105.50 with tax. You can try Priceline or Hotwire to see what is coming up for your dates. If you need help after reading betterbidding and biddingfortravel.com, just ask away.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Hello Everyone, Im a newbie here and new to cruising, head out on the first cruise on 3/02 out of the POM, on the norweigen sky, still havent booked a hotel for pre or post cruise, I have been reading else where that miami is pretty dangerous, was wondering if anyone has any insight here on where to go and where to not go.

Thank you

Common Sense!

Thank you

???

Miami is a large metropolitan area and it has its safety issues.

Are you going to hang out in cracktown?

Use common sense and you'll be fine.

Use taxis after dark. Stay off the beach after dark. Don't leave your valuables on the beach. Lock your hotel door.

It's terrible here fur us residents. Fortunately my brother's triple ax murder that he commited at age 5 received a pardon not only from the President but also from our native country in Brazil.

Thank you

???

TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use taxis after dark. Stay off the beach after dark. Don't leave your valuables on the beach. Lock your hotel door.

cracktown part is too funny...........

It's terrible here fur us residents. Fortunately my brother's triple ax murder that he commited at age 5 received a pardon not only from the President but also from our native country in Brazil.

What does that mean? That Miami doesn't have neighborhoods and areas that a tourist had best avoid, or that Miami has no crime at all?

The fact is a tourist in Miami should be alert and careful just as in Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo or any major city in the United States. Crime happens even in posh and exclusive Palm Beach.

You've got a keen eye for the obvious!:)

What I mean is that as a resident I wish people would post a more tactful heading..like by saying "Is Miami Dangerous" to me it's implying it is a dangerous city. Like Blue Herons said, if you are going to cracktown of course it will be, and if you do something to stick out like a sore thumb in any part of the city you will make yourself an easy target. But again, where all the mucky mucks hang out in South Beach, you can find plenty of crime there too.

Of course the city has neighborhoods that one should avoid, as it is in your city as well. Even in Sao Paulo and Rio it is by far more dangerous than any other city in South America and you have to use common sense.

My whole point in this is that you should just use common sense in any city. Some of the people that live in the ""BAD" parts have no choice to live there.

What does that mean? That Miami doesn't have neighborhoods and areas that a tourist had best avoid, or that Miami has no crime at all?

The fact is a tourist in Miami should be alert and careful just as in Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo or any major city in the United States. Crime happens even in posh and exclusive Palm Beach.

It is a major city and has many of the same issues as other large metropolitan areas. Stay away from dark areas at night; take a taxi back from a restaurant.

You don't have much time left to find a hotel. I love the Intercontinental at Bayside but there are others which may be less expensive. Dowtown Miami is the best area for a one night pre-cruise. I bought on easyclicktravel.com for next November at $92 = $105.50 with tax. You can try Priceline or Hotwire to see what is coming up for your dates. If you need help after reading betterbidding and biddingfortravel.com, just ask away.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

This is great advise. I love staying here and do so several times a year. I have stayed here by myself (women age 52) just be careful.

Laura

What I was implying is what areas of Miami do I avoid, Im not a city person in the least bit, Im a farm boy from the north, live 4 hours from any big city, and do not go there, we decided to take a cruise and it happened to be out of miami, was just looking for some help on where to go and what to see and what areas should be avoided

???

We stayed at South Beach last year, and were on the beach after dark, with no issues. Maybe we were lucky, but I didn't see any 'suspious' activity to be wary of.

I agree with the common sense part, but I'm just wondering what beach you were referring to in your comment.

The areas you want to avoid are mostly in the suburbs. The airport itself is safe but you don't want to be in a rental car and get lost in the outlying areas of the airport. Bayside is a fun place to go if you decide to stay at a hotel near the port, but again, you should be careful. It's a great place to have fun but you need to take a taxi to and from because you don't want to be walking around downtown Miami after dark. Like any other big city and especially with our lovely weather, we have more than our share of homeless people so you need to be aware of that. South Beach is also safe, but again, you don't want to be walking around looking like a "lost tourist" because you will become a target. Just take a taxi to and from South Beach or Bayside and you will be fine. You can walk up and down Ocean Drive on South beach without any problems, just don't veer off to the side streets. Hope this helps and have a great cruise!

We stayed at South Beach last year, and were on the beach after dark, with no issues. Maybe we were lucky, but I didn't see any 'suspious' activity to be wary of.

Talk to the parents of the couple who were brutally murdered on the beach outside Nikki Beach a couple of years ago.

Yes I'd say you were lucky because it's just not safe to stay on the beach after dark. Nikki Beach is off the beaten path. You need to be on Ocean drive if you are walking and don't veer off from there. Take a cab to and from and you will be ok and by all means...USE COMMON SENSE. If something doesn't feel right it probably isn't going to be safe!

like any large city it has it s problems..

However..from the Holiday Inn POM..we walked to Walgreen s in

the evening and never felt threatend..

partly due that there was a high police presense..and the police

substation was only 2 blocks away across the street from

Bayside Park..

Yes I'd say you were lucky because it's just not safe to stay on the beach after dark. Nikki Beach is off the beaten path. You need to be on Ocean drive if you are walking and don't veer off from there. Take a cab to and from and you will be ok and by all means...USE COMMON SENSE. If something doesn't feel right it probably isn't going to be safe!

I don't know where Nikki Beach is, we stayed at the Loews, South Beach. Are you saying this area is not safe after dark?:confused:

Very funny!

NOW, FOR A SERIOUS ANSWER TO THE FOLLOWING QUESTION:

What I was implying is what areas of Miami do I avoid, Im not a city person in the least bit, Im a farm boy from the north, live 4 hours from any big city, and do not go there, we decided to take a cruise and it happened to be out of miami, was just looking for some help on where to go and what to see and what areas should be avoided

Miami is just like any other major city. Good aread, not so good areas. I understand your question, just stick to the tourist areas, be aware of your surroundings and you should be just fine!

Areas that you should be able to walk around with no problems: Miracle Mile in Coral Gables, The Grove, South Beach. Of course always be aware of your surroundings - no metro rail at night time, no walking around downtown alone at night time. Just take a taxi instead!

YES!! The beaches in South Beach are not particularly safe after dark!!

Wow, that's surprising. We walked on the beach, down to the water, and never saw another person. Again, this was directly in front of the Loews Hotel, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I guess we'll be more cautious on our next trip in a couple weeks. I may ask the staff at Loews just to get their feedback as well. It will be interesting to hear what they say having the knowledge from this forum. Thanks for your feedback!

Wow, that's surprising. We walked on the beach, down to the water, and never saw another person. Again, this was directly in front of the Loews Hotel, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I guess we'll be more cautious on our next trip in a couple weeks. I may ask the staff at Loews just to get their feedback as well. It will be interesting to hear what they say having the knowledge from this forum. Thanks for your feedback!

My sister is a local. My brother in law is a third generation Miami Cuban. Both are physicans in Miami and have pulled shifts many times and various emergency rooms. I have been hanging out in Miami all of my life.

South Beach attracts money which attracts criminals.

Please, ask the desk clerk at the Loews who has probably only lived in Miami for three months for feedback on crime. Ask your waiter who has been in Miami for two weeks who just moved down from Cleveland.

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/index.php/news/comments/vacation-safety-tips/

http://forums.miamibeach411.com/index.php?/forums/viewthread/558/

My sister is a local. My brother in law is a third generation Miami Cuban. Both are physicans in Miami and have pulled shifts many times and various emergency rooms. I have been hanging out in Miami all of my life.

South Beach attracts money which attracts criminals.

Please, ask the desk clerk at the Loews who has probably only lived in Miami for three months for feedback on crime. Ask your waiter who has been in Miami for two weeks who just moved down from Cleveland.

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/index.php/news/comments/vacation-safety-tips/

http://forums.miamibeach411.com/index.php?/forums/viewthread/558/

I did not mean to insult you by saying I would ask the Loews staff, just the opposite. I absolutely appreciate and trust your feedback, I was just indicating I would love to hear their 'spin' on that question since I now have your valuable input.

Again, I'm sorry if I insulted you in any way. Thanks for the responses and the information!:)

I did not mean to insult you by saying I would ask the Loews staff, just the opposite. I absolutely appreciate and trust your feedback, I was just indicating I would love to hear their 'spin' on that question since I now have your valuable input.

Again, I'm sorry if I insulted you in any way. Thanks for the responses and the information!:)

Nope, no insult. I just don't want you to get hurt. Chances are you are fine but why take that chance? Have fun, the Loews is such a beautiful property and I LOVE that big pinapple chandelier!

I grew up in Miami, own a condo on Biscayne Bay in North Miami, and have lived in New York City since 1973 (when it really was a spectacularly dangerous place). I feel much safer walking around NYC at night than I would in Miami. Compare the recent crime statistics for NYC (http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=New+York&state=NY) and Miami (http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=Miami&state=FL) and you'll see why. And those are only the numbers for the City of Miami; there are other parts of the Greater Miami area that are safer, others that are even more dangerous. I love the Miami area, but downtown (where the pier is) is not my favorite place.

Archived