I'm perplexed!!

fritzi

We will be sailing on March lst on the Independence. I have been checking regularly for a price reduction but there hasn't been any - in fact prices went up since we booked two months ago. However, the ship is showing unsold cabins in all categories. Do you think RCCL will reduce before we go or will they sail with a lot of empty cabins?

We will be sailing on March lst on the Independence. I have been checking regularly for a price reduction but there hasn't been any - in fact prices went up since we booked two months ago. However, the ship is showing unsold cabins in all categories. Do you think RCCL will reduce before we go or will they sail with a lot of empty cabins?

This is how I look at booking any cruise. You book what you can afford, if the price goes down or you get an upgrade that is just a gift. But only book what you can afford at the time.

I think it may go down closer to sailing. I would keep checking, just in case. Even if it doesn't tho, you will have a wonderful time.

If you take Richard Fain at his word, they will reduce prices to fill their ships but they will only reduce those prices to a point where they can still be profitable. They don't want to sail with a lot of empty staterooms but are willing to sacrifice some capacity as long as it does not effect their bottom line negatively. It is basically a balancing act and knowing the break even price point, something neither you or I is probably qualified to determine.:)

I've yet to book a cruise where there was a price reduction! Maybe it's the time of year we cruise, but it's never happened for me!

Your experience is apparently the exception that proves the rule. We have had price reductions on a number of cruises over the years. Most recently for our upcoming Navigator of the Seas cruise in March and a $300 reduction on our Jewel westbound transatlantic cruise next September. Sometimes the price reductions pop up for a short time and then disappear so it pays to monitor prices on a regular basis. For most of our cruises we are involved in busy roll call threads and often someone on those threads finds a price reduction and spreads the word. Makes belonging to cruise critic even more worthwhile.:)

Saved $400 and got a larger cabin on our 4/4/09 Indy cruise, and $250 on our July Liberty cruise, all in the last 10 days.

Don not jus check your cabin, check every catagory, sometimes you will find a better cabin at a lesser price, we went from a E2 to a D2 and saved $300.:D

Well this is what happened on my Feb 1 Indy cruise. I had a JS. The price of the suites went up and up....YET, they remained empty.

About 3 weeks before the cruise, they upgraded all of the D+ cruisers (from what I could tell), filled up the suites, and then threw the lower categories (now left vacant) back onto the market. They had one guarantee inside price for NEW reservations.

Those lower cabins sold out. The entire ship was sold out 1 week prior to sailing.

So this is the week you should start to see movement.

I also grabbed a $400 price decrease for Indy 4/4 that showed up at 11:00 pm last night - sold out today! Check daily and several times a day, since you are only two weeks out. As UKSimon said, check ALL categories -you may be able to improve for no extra money or even get a refund!

What has occured a month ago, no longer applies.

RCI will stop giving away cabins in order to sail at full occupancy...this is only a few weeks old.

You will still see price drops and price increases but you will not see the bargain basement pricing that has occured in the past.

RCI has found the ultra cheap cabin buy don't not translate into incremental increases in onboard spending.

I believe Mr. Fain was correct when he said no more super cheapo's (my words, not his) for RCI. Back in late Dec. or early Jan., my Mariner May 10 cruise went down (military rate) about $300pp for a D1. Yesterday, the price was back up $300. Last week it was up only about $150. Go figure!

I booked a Royal Family Suite on Navigator for a Mediterranean cruise with my parents last Autumn. We booked and paid 6 weeks before departure and they released the suite to the 3 of us (usually there needs to be a minimum 5 people) for this suite which accommodates up to 8. As they weren't releasing any inside or oceanview cabins for single occupancy the suite was the cheapest option and provided us with plenty of room (2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. lounge and large aft balcony). Cabins weren't selling well and I felt sure the prices would drop so kept a close eye on the RCI website. 10 days before departure the price dropped by £1200 due to a senior citizen rate which appeared. Having spoken to RCI in the UK my travel agent secured the reduced rate for us. After 24 hours RCI pulled that senior citizen rate. My mother often moans about me spending too long on the internet but she had to admit that sometimes it pays off! My advice - keep on looking even after final payment and if you see a price reduction pursue it quickly. :)

can anyone advice me I am a new cruiser I have a 4 birth booked and I know the ship is taking no more bookings for 4 birth cabins. If I happen to see a price reduction in my catagory would I still be entitled to it or not because 4 births are already sold out?

Is there any difference if you are part of a group or can the price drop still be applied

All help appreciated

Debs:)

Archived