ss Rotterdam January 6, 1962

sail7seas

In recent weeks, I have had the unhappy task of emptying a large condo and readying it for sale.

While doing this, I came across many momentos, photos, etc but I finally was able to smile when I came across a printed paper portfolio that had my very favorite Logo included in the design on the front. ( ;) The one in my signature!!! :) - It has changed a bit through the years. )

Intrigued, I opened it to find a booklet outlining the itinerary, list of officers, a list of all guests though no cabin numbers nor identifying info (such as hometown), all the dinner menues from this ten day

cruise, a luncheon menu and some photos taken by the ship's photographers. Oh how elegant all these things were done.

The dinner menus were on sturdy stock and each has a scene of Holland on the cover. Beautiful.

While every night the dishes offered were different, each dinner menu had the following categories from which to select:

* Choice of Hors d'ouerves including such as Beluga Caviar on ice, Fresh fruit cup with liquer, Swedish Salmon with horseradish sauce, Menon Ardennaise Smoked Sturgeon, Trout and River Eel and other choices

* Soup - choose from three

*Fish - choose from two

* Releves - Tenderloin Steak with Fresh Mushrooms or Roast Fricandeau of Veal Branbanconne

* Hot Entree - Breaded Calrf's Brains Napolitaine

*Cold Entree - Timbale of Lobster - Galantine of Pheasant

* Grill - Mixed Grille Mexicaine, Lamb Chops

*Vegetables - Asparagus polonaise, Haricots verts, Creamed chow-chow, Garden Peas, Steamed Patna Rice, Macaroni Suisse, Paprika Noodles, French Fried Marquise, Croguette, Parsley and Baked Idaho Potatoes

* Sherbert

* Roast - Breda Capon, Roasted Wild Duckling

* Salads and Compotes - Choose from four

*Cheeses - List of at least 9 or more

* Dessert - Bavarois Duchesse, Hazelino Cake, Coupe Gremaine, Parfair Bohemienne, Vanilla and Napolitain Ice-cream, Assorted American Cakes and Pies, Friandises - Fruit Jelly - Plain and Raisin Cake

* Fruits - Selection of Fresh Fruit, Fresh Pineapple, Dates, Mixed Nuts, Stem Ginger in Syrup, After Dinner Mints

Oh my goodness...... EVERY night, a menu like this to dine from.

Dinner had to last hours.

What fun to really see for myself the changes from the 'grander' days of cruising.

I have to admit, just the thought of seeing so much food offered is way too much for me. Our world, our societies have changed so much, that just wouldn't work in today's world and I think I'm happy about that. :)

Thought it would be fun to share this.

You've inspired me! I have all the "things" from my first HAL cruise, back in '78. I think I will dig out the menus and see what was served for dinner. Should be fun.

I do remember the daily program (which had a Dutch name then), was much smaller. Wonder what the activities were??? I remember playing BINGO and Name That Tune on Sunday afternoon.

A different time, no doubt, S7S!:) This one was taken of her in September 1962, during one of her many transatlantic cruises as she was westbound to New York. The pic was taken from her fleet mate, ss Statendam IV, which was eastbound to Rotterdam

Ship+Photo+Rotterdam.jpg

I searched through all the papers that I found with this material to see if I could get a clue what they paid for that cruise. I would have loved to have that info.

Rotterdam V was quite new when they sailed her.

I also found an amazing set of menus from the Italian Line Ship "Leonardo da Vinci" from a cruise in March/April, 1966. That was a cruise to the Mediterranean and Near East. Just about the same number of courses including a Pasta Course.... ;). These menus are in a hardcover, ribbon tied portfolio. Also, lovely scenes on the covers.

I sailed several times on teh RotterdamV in the late 1970's & early 1980s......dinner did last 2 - 2.5 hours...but we dined & the food was worth the time spent enjoying it.....the didningrooms onboard were spectacular - not in a vegas way - more in a European castle theme......times were different but the portions were smaller & the quality superb....my favorite was the Italian Line...tho the FRANCE was stated to have the best restaurant in the world......

I still have menus from my first cruises & they are quite beautiful....

Anyone that had the chance to sail on those great ships would most likely agree......

PS - the midnite buffets were over the top!!!!!!

Archived