Legal snacks that can taken off the ship into ports

Familyforce6

Hi! I just read the thread about what you shouldn't be taking off the ship and why...I understand all that. I was just wondering what everyone takes off the ship that is legal? I know somebody said small boxes of cereal, but what else? Things that don't have to be bought in the store on the ship? Having 4 kids with me it will come in very handy.:)

There's not much on the ship that is pre-packaged except cereal boxes and crackers. You can purchase snacks in the gift shops. You might want to bring some from home...like granola bars, cheese crackers, etc. - packaged from the manufacturer.

You can usually take anything factory packaged and sealed. Different ports are more particular about what you bring into the country. If you get off in the port just stop buy one of the stores before getting on your excursion. It would be cheaper than buying things later.

There's not much on the ship that is pre-packaged except cereal boxes and crackers. You can purchase snacks in the gift shops. You might want to bring some from home...like granola bars, cheese crackers, etc. - packaged from the manufacturer.

That's what I've always done and will continue to do. I buy small bags of cookies, candy, nuts, fruit rolls, crackers, etc. and always have them available, in my purse or totebag, for the DH and DS. You never know when you might need a snack!:D

I didn't know that there were food items you're not allowed to bring ashore.:o In the past, I've taken sandwiches from room service for the beach, along with my snacks.:eek: I've never had a problem, and I've done this in all parts of the Carribean and Mexico. I'll be more careful in the future. Where do they tell you what you can't bring off the ship? Is this info given to you in the Capers?

At the risk of starting a 3rd shouting match on this topic:eek:, Carnival rules appear to state that you can't bring any food off the ship. The actual laws of each country however are far more complex, and less restrictive. If you are going through customs there are usually Agriculture stations where food can be checked out. However in my very limited experience in cruising and entering a foreign country as opposed to entering by plane, you didn't go through customs, just a very informal checkpoint. That being said, usually fresh fruit and meats are very restricted- you need to get them checked, at least and there are no places to do this. Baked products are almost universally ok. Cheeses usually are ok, particularly aged or processed cheeses. Packaged foods usually ok. So this is a very complex issue and simply shouting about not bringing anything is useless.

Hi! I just read the thread about what you shouldn't be taking off the ship and why...I understand all that. I was just wondering what everyone takes off the ship that is legal? I know somebody said small boxes of cereal, but what else? Things that don't have to be bought in the store on the ship? Having 4 kids with me it will come in very handy.:)

I have taken food off the ship in ports, bananas, apples, candy, even the boxed cereals ie.. cheerios.

the rules state you can not bring back into the united states foods or beverages that are open or fresh fruits or flowers from the ships.

they don't care what you take to other countries. plus they don't strip search you to look. However, the would rather you not bring these items onto the ship from other countries.

I am diabetic, and must carry something with me. like I said, usually some fresh fruit, is what I take to snack on in the ports.

Ithey don't care what you take to other countries. plus they don't strip search you to look. However, the would rather you not bring these items onto the ship from other countries. .

Of course they care, the laws of lots of countries forbid it. Do you think the signs saying please do not bring food off the ship are suggestions for real? I dont know where Iv seen it? On the port talk perhaps they run on the tv, but its against the laws of the countries you are entering, same as the U.S. has laws.

II am diabetic, and must carry something with me. like I said, usually some fresh fruit, is what I take to snack on in the ports.

fruit is one of the most illegal things you can bring into a port because you could be bringing bugs from the ship. fuits are not allowed even over some borders in states Iv driven to, they check the car at check points.

Its also illegal to bring into the U.S. and Mexico and most of the island ports.

I dont care what you do, honestly, but the way you put it sounds like you really are just totally not aware of the laws. Iv brought a muffin into a port myself. Do what you want, but at least be aware that you arent supposed to do it.

We have, on a couple of long excursions, taken ziplocs from home and ordered room service the night before --- putting chips in some, and sandwiches in others.

The fact that it's not "allowed" does not play a role as far as we are concerned. The last time I looked at the food I was taking off the ship (we have not done that in the last several cruises), I did not see any FRUIT FLIES, or other apparent stowaways... as a matter of fact (truth be known) I would say that the food on the ship is "cleaner" than much of the food in the ports we visit!

FLAME AWAY... LOL :D

Tom

I have taken food off the ship in ports, bananas, apples, candy, even the boxed cereals ie.. cheerios.

the rules state you can not bring back into the united states foods or beverages that are open or fresh fruits or flowers from the ships.

they don't care what you take to other countries. plus they don't strip search you to look. However, the would rather you not bring these items onto the ship from other countries.

I am diabetic, and must carry something with me. like I said, usually some fresh fruit, is what I take to snack on in the ports.

Wrong!

You won't be able to bring fruit off in Cabo........they searched every bag.......It is illegal in Mexico.....

Of course I suppose you could duct tape it to your body:rolleyes:

The fact that it's not "allowed" does not play a role as far as we are concerned.

My- is this your approach to all rules and laws? Interesting.

I do pick and choose, as many people do --- I tend to follow the "important" ones.

I have been known to run red lights once or twice a year -- if it's clear (w/no COPS), and I have been there an inordinate amount of time.

I have crossed streets when the light said DON'T WALK... (and other HIGH CRIMES too --- shhhh, don't tell anyone! ;))

Tom

All I can say is wow. You are traveling to foreign countries. Or does this simple fact escape you? I am sorry to sound snippy, but the US issues laws about what you bring back to the US. It CANNOT issue laws about what you can bring into Mexico for example. It is Mexico which gets to make those laws.

I do pick and choose, as many people do --- I tend to follow the "important" ones.

I have been known to run red lights once or twice a year -- if it's clear (w/no COPS), and I have been there an inordinate amount of time.

I have crossed streets when the light said DON'T WALK... (and other HIGH CRIMES too --- shhhh, don't tell anyone! ;))

Tom

So, International Import laws are like crossing against a cross walk. Interesting.

Wrong!

You won't be able to bring fruit off in Cabo........they searched every bag.......It is illegal in Mexico.....

Of course I suppose you could duck tape it to your body:rolleyes:

What about the veggies that COME into the US from Mexico... LOL

The duck tape is a good idea.. though BODY CAVITIES are even better hiding spots!! :eek:

:D

Tom

You may want to consider canned/bottled soda or water which will not pose a problem ashore. Most ports have stores that you can purchase a light snack. My cabin mate is also a diabetic and has to eat regularly so I know the drill. We also keep wrapped candies with us for her along with any type of wrapped prepackaged snacks for "just in case".

MARAPRINCE

At the risk of starting a 3rd shouting match on this topic:eek:, Carnival rules appear to state that you can't bring any food off the ship. The actual laws of each country however are far more complex, and less restrictive. If you are going through customs there are usually Agriculture stations where food can be checked out. However in my very limited experience in cruising and entering a foreign country as opposed to entering by plane, you didn't go through customs, just a very informal checkpoint. That being said, usually fresh fruit and meats are very restricted- you need to get them checked, at least and there are no places to do this. Baked products are almost universally ok. Cheeses usually are ok, particularly aged or processed cheeses. Packaged foods usually ok. So this is a very complex issue and simply shouting about not bringing anything is useless.

Well said and meats that are included in sandwiches are usually OK too because they have been prepared for immediate consumption and there is no chance of them harboring insects. The real reason the ships say no food is that they do not want people possibly giving food to the locals.

... The real reason the ships say no food is that they do not want people possibly giving food to the locals.

Now THAT is interesting! I would think that many of the ports also "request" that the ships ask people not to bring off food so that local restaurants could benefit as much as possible from the ships time in port.

Tom

Oh well, I have not seen it posted except for when entering the US after being on the ship.

Did not mean to upset you. so sue me if I am wrong. but I refuse to pay 2.00 for one banana in a forein port. And if you were not allowed to take anything off the ship, why do they sell water when exiting the ship?

don't tell me water is different issue either.

I don't eat in the ports. Why pay for food when the ship is full of free food? Plus we are not off the ship that long. I just sometimes need something in a hurry, and sometimes there is nothing there in a hurry. I did eat in a port once, and got sick. so I don't do it now.

That is my reasoning.

Again, I am sorry if I upset you, and I am sorry if I am doing something wrong. But I don't pay the price for a banana at 7-11 or Disney so why should I in a port of call?

I have my principles the same as you do. Hey in fact, I don't buy anything from 7-11 because I don't shop the place. Even a bottle of soda is too expensive.

don't tell me water is different issue either.

Water IS a different issue since many people don't remember that drinking the water in many of the ports can make you VERY sick. Been there, done that (well, an ice cube) and suffered the consequences.

As far as the cost of bananas- so don't eat the bananas. Bring some cookies or crackers, a roll or muffin. And not eating in the ports? but one of the joys of travel is trying new things! Just remember no ice cubes and be selective about where you eat. Begin at some of the more tourist oriented places.

But lack of respect for international laws can end in unpleasantness. Serious unpleasantness.

• Administrators

Wow. Some of the views on this thread just illustrate why so much of the rest of the world views US citizens as self-centered, spoiled, "ugly" Americans.

I believe there are two primary reasons for these LAWS. Not "policies," not "suggestions" -- LAWS. First is to protect domestic agriculture (of all nations) from decimation due to insects, viruses, and bacteria from other areas of the world. You may have never seen a "fruit fly" on that cruise ship banana you decide to take off the ship with you -- have you seen a virus such as the banana one which had decimated part of Hawaii's crop?

The second reason is because taking fresh food off the ship and eating it several hours later is an invitation to food poisoning, which many people will blame on the cruiseline, not on the fact that their mayo-based sandwich sat in their backpack for 9 hours before they ate it. :eek:

The complete absence of any limitation on the self-centeredness of some people really is amazing to me (especially when they come to a public forum to proclaim, with pride, how selfish they are).

To the OP, thanks for asking this question and actually caring about these issues -- they can be vital to the economy of the nations you visit. Just bring packaged snacks and you should be fine.

FLLADY, you dont owe 5wlados an apology. I think Tom hit it on the head. I love it that Carnival has some of the most vituous passengers in the world. It makes me wonder why they cruise...if they can walk on water, why pay to get on a ship. :rolleyes:

Wow. Some of the views on this thread just illustrate why so much of the rest of the world views US citizens as self-centered, spoiled, "ugly" Americans.

I agree, though many nationalities - unfortunately - carry stigmas/stereotypes. I am pleased to say that I do not fall into the SELF-CENTERED, SPOILED, UGLY American group! (that would be my humble analysis, BTW) ;)

I believe there are two primary reasons for these LAWS. Not "policies," not "suggestions" -- LAWS. First is to protect domestic agriculture (of all nations) from decimation due to insects, viruses, and bacteria from other areas of the world. You may have never seen a "fruit fly" on that cruise ship banana you decide to take off the ship with you -- have you seen a virus such as the banana one which had decimated part of Hawaii's crop?

No, I have never seen (actually, I've never been able to RESOLVE) a virus with my naked eye. Then again, neither has the FLY or BIRD which visits the ship long enough (from the shore) to scavenge a snack, and head back to INFECT the land. I say this only partly in jest, as your point is not missed on me. We do need to be diligent in not contributing to the spread of non-native flora/fauna (including microorganisms) when at all possible. In well over 40 cruises, I have NEVER witnessed ANYONE being searched/inspected when LEAVING the ship (home port customs NOT included here). If they are relying on people policing themselves (insert roll-eyes here), then I can only assume that they are either unable to afford the costs of searching, unwilling to subject cruisers to this process, or not really that concerned with the issue. My guess is that's is a combination of all of the above.

The second reason is because taking fresh food off the ship and eating it several hours later is an invitation to food poisoning, which many people will blame on the cruiseline, not on the fact that their mayo-based sandwich sat in their backpack for 9 hours before they ate it. :eek:

For clarification, when we have taken any perishables off the ship, we also take a soft-sided cooler w/ice in ziplocs. :)

The complete absence of any limitation on the self-centeredness of some people really is amazing to me (especially when they come to a public forum to proclaim, with pride, how selfish they are).

At least I am upfront about it (and careful - in more ways than one), as opposed to the many hypocrites who, no doubt, are all around us!! THEY are the worst - many politicians and preachers come to mind... usually the ones who are the most vocal opponents of "fill-in-the-blank" are the ones to watch!! :eek:

Tom

Oh well, I have not seen it posted except for when entering the US after being on the ship.

Did not mean to upset you. so sue me if I am wrong. but I refuse to pay 2.00 for one banana in a forein port. And if you were not allowed to take anything off the ship, why do they sell water when exiting the ship?

don't tell me water is different issue either. .

The water sold is in a SEALED container. Yes, it is different. As many have said you can bring SEALED stuff off the ship, like cereal or crackers. ... or water.

I could care less what you do personally, just was surprised at the way you stated it as if you didnt know it wasnt allowed, that all the folks posting that it wasnt allowed went right over your head. At least do it knowing what you are allowed to do. If you break the law, be aware of it. Dont say, well I have diabetes so Im allowed to do it, because of my health.

If EVERYONE chose the laws and rules to follow, we would have total chaos in the world. I guess Tom, you get to decide which ones are important, so please let us know the ones you think everyone should follow since you seem to think you are the authority. Running red lights will get you or someone else killed eventually. WOW. Can you say EGO? And, please do not haul out the old " everyone speeds, everyone does... That's not the point. Intentionally flaunting breaking the law and being proud of it is the issue. Not to mention the relativism you employ talking about preachers, politicians, etc. Not relevant.

Some people need to be protected from themselves which is why so many perceived "dumb" laws exist.

There is another thread going on this subject with the laws of several ports posted. They are not suggestions.

Water is allowed because it is bottled. Packaged foods are allowed. There are plenty of prepackaged foods. BTW, prepackaged foods on board are a heck of a lot more expensive than they are ashore. There are signs stating what you can't take off the ship as you leave with a large TRASH CAN underneath it that usually has sandwiches and fruit in it It is also posted in the Capers.

And, the op asked for "LEGAL" snacks, not what she could sneak off.

Archived