Does the Captain Know? Does He Get Reports?

sail7seas

When I was reading one of the threads about pax who had no air conditioning on their recent cruise, I got to wondering about a comment one person made.

They said they had asked to speak with the Captain about the lack of customer service and failure to repair their air conditioning. They said they never spoke with him.

I wonder......

When there are multiple complaints about things such as out of order plumbing and lack of a/c, do you think the Captain automatically gets reports of "what's broken" and how many cabins are effected? Or does it land on the Hotel Manager's desk only and it is for him to deal with without the Captain being informed of these problems? (This question is meant as only pertains to out of order things that do not involve safety issues.)

What if it is only one Suite with no air conditioning? Would the Captain be informed the folks in Cabin 020 aren't getting much sleep due to the heat?

Excellent question. As the master of the ship you would hope that he would have access to matter such as this. However, he also needs people to handle matters on their own, without his intervention.

Although lack of A/C in multiple cabins is a more major issue than in a single cabin, if you're the passengers in that single cabin then it is no less important to you.

Interesting question. On the Volendam, I know the captain was aware of the A/C issues because I overheard other guests commenting about it during a cocktail hour, plus the neptune lounge, where the reception was held, was a bit warm. It was a light converstation, but I'm sure the passenger the passenger reached his intended target for his concerns.

When we couldn't tender to half moon cay, it was the captain who explained the situation and updated us three times that morning before everything was finally called off. After that, it was the cruise director who took over with her attempt to add more activities for the restless natives on board.

We did see the captain out and about every day on this cruise. He was very personable and approachable .. so, I wonder if he does that to stay in touch with what's happenning on the ship, or just because that his personality?

For the suites that were experiencing A/C problems, I wonder if the captain also experienced the same problems. Isn't his quaters on the same deck, or at least some of the officer cabins??

Peggy sue

ryansmemom - Linda where are you? You could answer this question about what happened in your cabin on the Maasdam.

If I remember correctly, each night Linda and Lou kept hearing what sounded like bowling balls behind their bed - suite cabin. It only affected their cabin. The captain did come to check on the problem. Eventually the entire wall had to be removed - the noise had something to do with a fire wall.

I hope Linda sees this and corrects what little I know of the problem.

I think they (Senior Officers, Captain, etc.) know exactly what is going on at all times. From our own personal experience on the Noordam - I believe that many also read what is written on these boards.

I also believe that when it is something they are working frantically to fix - and there is no way anyone will convince me that they don't care about these problems - it would be very difficult for the Captain, Hotel Manager, etc. to spend so much time dealing with angry & upset pax when there is virtually little, if anything they can do personally.

I understand the frustration with the A/C - I would not be happy in an 80+ degree cabin either - and I'm sure the Captain is well aware of the problem, but what is he supposed to do? I hardly think the Engineering staff is sitting around swapping stories and drinking beer while the A/C is continually failing ... I honestly believe that Engineering is doing all that can possibly be done to correct ANY mechanical problems while the ship is at sea.

Now on the other hand, with the repeated problems the Maasdam has been experiencing, especially in SPECIFIC cabins, there is no excuse to let this go unresolved. The ship should be scheduled for dry dock and the problem fixed, without any further delay. Sure, they may have to cancel a cruise or two, but IMO it is far worse to allow so many pax to CONTINUE to be negatively affected by operating the vessel with the malfunctioning air conditioning.

Sail-

You also bring up a very good point regarding passenger compensation on another thread... how can HAL possibly accomodate all those pax who experience a problem while cruising, especially when there are forums such as this?

I'm glad the OP in the other thread did not share the amount of compensation HAL was willing to offer - in my mind it opens the door for abuse and negates the problems of those with actual legitimate complaints.

I also believe that when it is something they are working frantically to fix - and there is no way anyone will convince me that they don't care about these problems - it would be very difficult for the Captain, Hotel Manager, etc. to spend so much time dealing with angry & upset pax when there is virtually little, if anything they can do personally.
Ekerr,

Obviously the captain is not going to be handling everything personally. However, one of the major frustrations for those on the 10/30 sailing was the lack of any kind of customer service. No contact from any high up officers, whether the captain or department heads, no resolution of the problem. Sometimes all it takes is a word from the captain stating that they know about the problem and that they're working on it to make someone feel better. It won't make the room any cooler, but at least you don't feel as though you're being dismissed.

Ekerr,

Obviously the captain is not going to be handling everything personally. However, one of the major frustrations for those on the 10/30 sailing was the lack of any kind of customer service. No contact from any high up officers, whether the captain or department heads, no resolution of the problem. Sometimes all it takes is a word from the captain stating that they know about the problem and that they're working on it to make someone feel better. It won't make the room any cooler, but at least you don't feel as though you're being dismissed.

I understand what you are saying and I agree 100% - I'm just wondering if anyone was expecting the Captain to offer some type of compensation - from what I read there were many VERY frustrated pax (which is understandable), and aside from reassuring everyone they are working on the problem, there would be little the Captain or any other Officer could do. I thought I read where one pax was going to demand the Captain refund the entire amount of the cruise...

Sometimes letting people vent their frustration over a matter is enough, but I also know that for many people, mere venting is not enough.

I agree that someone should have stepped up and said they were aware of the problem and it was being addressed - but do you really think (at that time) it would have satisfied everyone?

I do feel really bad for those on that cruise that experienced these problems - I've been in a super hot cabin once and it was no picnic. :(

In any hierarchical organization, the chief operating officer is kept abreast of issues which directly affect his total command. It is not his role to fix them, for that is why there are functional chiefs. A/C is in the engineering department. Lack of A/C does not directly affect the COO's total command.

A chief operating officer is not obliged to discuss every matter with every customer or to accept abuse from anyone.

And there is no obligation for HAL according to the terms of passage to compensate anyone for lack of A/C...or disliked food...or chair hogs...or kids splashing in the pools...or...

I just don't know where these ideas that we're all so special come from?

And there is no obligation for HAL according to the terms of passage to compensate anyone for lack of A/C...or disliked food...or chair hogs...or kids splashing in the pools...or...

Here here, finally the voice of reason. When they throw a sack over my head, stick me in the bowels of the ship and hand me an oar I'm totally satisfied. After all, according to HAL's terms of passsage they never expressly stated I would not be used in place of an engine.:rolleyes:

I wonder if it might not be a good idea for HAL to schedule the older ships so that a day or so each month could be set aside for them to be berthed on a pier where shore support could be brought on board to address the most difficult problems...such as massive AC failure.

I recognize that ships, like airplanes, are scheduled tightly so as to contribute the maximum to the company's bottom line, but by not correcting serious problems on a timely basis, I wonder if they aren't doing more harm than good....to the bottom line.

Far be it from me to tell HAL how to operate ships. After 130 years, they should know how to do it. I'm just thinking out loud.

I respectfully disagree, lknick.

The passengers who endured such uncomfortable conditions as lack of any a/c do have a legitimate complaint IMO. I believe they should receive an appropriate apology and acknowledgement that their comfort and enjoyment were severely impacted. They want that 'admission' and want to feel that someone in HAL cares they did not provide what was a basic expectation. It is assumed that a pax will enjoy reasonable comfort in the accomodation they have spent money to 'rent' for the duration of their cruise. In this day and age, air conditioning is a basic expectation when traveling in the Caribbean.

I DO NOT EVER EXPECT the Captain should become involved in pax resolutions of these matters. Of course, the Captain should never be spoken to with disrespect and there is no reason for him to subject himself to pax anger. That is not what I suggest by my question. I certainly do not expect any Captain to be responsible for compensation discussions. I think you extended my question to places 'I didn't go'.

I'm asking about how much info about malfunctioning mechanical issues the Captain is advised of. That is all. I wasn't asking if he should be abused or involved in areas that can and should be handled by others.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you. I truly believe that non- functioning air-conditioning is not at all akin to disliked food or chair hogs. A lack of air conditioning in a tropical area an issue of habitability and in some cases medical necessity. I believe HAL's obligation is clear in an issue such as this as they have not even provided a truly habitable area.

Our solution to the many problems we experienced with HAL on the 11/6 Volendam cruise is that we have booked our next cruise with Celebrity. We'll give them a try. There's only so much you can expect to change - and perhaps when we are in our 70's we'll try HAL again. With all of the competition out there, why be unhappy? HAL has some wonderful things to offer, but perhaps another line fits our personalities better. We had tried Carnival - not a match - and Royal Caribbean - closer - and HAL would have been ideal - but the a/c problems, the sedate atmosphere outside by the pool - the smoking - the lack of activities and poor cabin service are enough reasons to look elsewhere. We will miss our wonderful wait staff in the dining room, though... perhaps they will leave HAL too!?

I'm asking about how much info about malfunctioning mechanical issues the Captain is advised of. That is all. [/Quote] And it was answered. “In any hierarchical organization, the chief operating officer is kept abreast of issues which directly affect his total command.” And yes, I expanded it beyond your question. I personally was appalled by what was posted on the initial thread and the disrespect acknowledged on the passengers’ part.
A lack of air conditioning in a tropical area an issue of habitability and in some cases medical necessity. [/Quote] IMO, this is drama at its best.
I believe HAL's obligation is clear in an issue such as this as they have not even provided a truly habitable area. [/Quote] Here you have decided that no effort was made to correct the situation. Not enough information was made available to reach this conclusion. The only information I remember was personal complaints surrounding the public relations of the problem. I have experienced similar air conditioning problems, so I am not speaking theoretically.

One personal note: It is the conduct of some of the passengers on HAL that have caused me to shift from HAL to Crystal for the Caribbean.

I spoke briefly with the Captain while entering one of the cocktail parties. I politely asked him if he was aware of the A/C problems that we were encountering. This was the third day of no A/C. With a very surprised look on his face he told me he would check into it. That was the last I heard.

I have written to HAL explaining our onboard experience. I'll have some time to think whether I will sail HAL again.

Are the pasengers on Crystal really better to cruise with???

IMO, Crystal is the HAL of the 1980s.

During the 1970s-80s, no passenger ever shoved in front of me, asked me if I was showing off since I elected to wear Mess Dress one formal night, stolen my hamberger as I reached for condiments and then called me rude when I rescued it, questioned my 'allowing' my daughter to attend The Naval Academy, or questioned my career choice. Never on Crystal have I heard gay rights or Quebec independance promulgated in a group who obviously didn't want to listen.

The irony is that HAL, again imho...no, not so humble... seems to attract these types of people only on their 7 day cruises.

Take a look at the Crystal board vs the HAL board. Many posters have agendas on the HAL board, ie a smoking thread went on forever because posters were insulting each other. The question was 'where can one smoke?' On the Crystal board, the same question was asked, answered, and the string died after 3 posts.

Sedate atmospheres around the pool are fine - and if that's what you like, you're probably very happy with HAL. I prefer some Caribbean music, light jazz or something similar to the Rosario Strings - not loud rock or rap - to enjoy while sunning. Evidently so do many others, as most lines offer this. In turn, I am a generous cruiser and purchase drinks from the lounges, items from the shops and use the various services on board. I am the type of passenger that will enable a cruise line to stay in business. I am also in my late 40's, which means that I'll be traveling for many years to come, lord willing. Perhaps HA can compromise - music by the aft pool and silence (and CIGARETTE/CIGAR smoke) by the covered mid ship pool?

I really enjoy the comments of all of you CC'ers - it's fun to try and guess where you're at in your lives and hear your perspectives on things... after all, our differences are indeed what makes the world interesting!

To answer the basic questions, Does The Captain Know & Does He Get Reports??

To both I would venture to say absolutely, YES. The reason I say this, is because the maritime industry (inclusing cruise ships), has always adopted many of the old time sailing traditions. One of those traditions has always been (at least during my sailing time) the evening reports to the Captain. All department heads are required (at least on US Navy/Coast Guard ships) to make a verbal report to the Captain that esentially says "all is well". Only matters of a critical nature were reported to the Captain at this time. No nickel & dime stuff.....

However, there is another daily report that has been required to be in writing to arrive in the cabin at a specified time, usually early morning. In that report, department heads are expected to inform the Captain of any particular problems that they believe he should or ought to have knowledge of, together with the contemplated actions taken or being taken to resolve the situation.

Woe be it to the department head when the Captain finds out about a problem from his cabin steward......

Happy sailing.....

From these last couple of messages, I can hardly wait to see not only the changes in HAL, but, perhaps, the changes in my attitudes since I was last on a HAL Caribbean cruise. That was nearly 30 years ago (the old Rotterdam) and I was accompanying my mother, who was about the age I am now. We both enjoyed the various, fairly low-key, activities, the port excursions, and the fairly refined atmosphere of the ship. At that time the cabin steward and much of the service crew were Indonesian and I recall enjoying the wonderful Indo-night show. Guess there is nothing like that now. I don't recall a Dutch night -- think I would remember the hats. Obviously the Westerdam is going to be a different experience, but I'm different too. Hope we're still a match!

Gooselace....

I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find many of the things you remember to still be part of HAL.

You will still find Indonesian and Filipino Stewards, Bar Tenders, Deck boys and Wine Stewards etc. They are very beautiful people IMO and offer genuine, friendly service.

You asked Peggy Sue who her Captain was: Key people on the Volendam from November 6-16:

MASTER: Weiger van der Zee

C D: Dottie Kulasa (She was teriffic.)

EXECUTIVE

CHEF: Wolgang Wasshausen. (John Mulvaney is now a trainer of chefs for the home office and John got on the Ship at St. Thomas and was with us all the way to Ft. Lauderdale.)

SENIOR ASST. C D: Scott Caporale

Himself

ryansmemom - Linda where are you? You could answer this question about what happened in your cabin on the Maasdam.

If I remember correctly, each night Linda and Lou kept hearing what sounded like bowling balls behind their bed - suite cabin. It only affected their cabin. The captain did come to check on the problem. Eventually the entire wall had to be removed - the noise had something to do with a fire wall.

I hope Linda sees this and corrects what little I know of the problem.

Yes indeed, after several days of listening to that "bowling ball" sound coming from behind our bed, and several visits from the engineers, we had a visit from the Captain, First Officer, Chief Engineer and Hotel Manager. The bulkhead behind the bed was removed by the Captain, First Officer and Chief Engineer because they were determined to track down the source of the noise. Their concern was that "something" might have "shifted" during the recent drydock or that "something" may have not been bolted in well enough. Their conclusion was that whatever was making the noise was not located in the bulkhead behind our bed, and that the sound was echoing. They left to further investigate the situation. All I know is, we never heard the sound again, so I guess they found the source.

My daughter, did have some AC probems in her suite that cruise as well. The Chief Engineer was in there with his crew. They tore the ceiling down one day and "fixed" whatever needed to be fixed and things were fine. We did happen to mention the problem to the Captain while he was in our suite, so I know he was aware of her problem.

So, I guess my mother was right. When you go to the top, you get action. She managed to get a friend of hers a new Toyota by advising her to write to the President of the company back in the 80's. Anyway, it certainly could't hurt.

Linda

Archived