Just back from Summit Feb 21-28

warmwinds

Thanks for the review. We are gonig on the Summt on 3/14. We were a little worried about past reports. Feel a lot better. We were on the Infinity in 2003 and loved it.:)

We were on the Infinity as well in 2003 and loved it! Please hop over to our March 14 Summit rollcall (linked below) and be sure to sign up for the Celebrity Connections party. We currently have 75 cruisers signed up. :) I know we have another couple from the St Louis area on the rollcall.

Summit Rollcall Thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=712416&page=35

No, we are not in CC. That's good to know about the theatre having some breakfast items. Was that for CC only?

We were in CC and went to the cinema. We waited for the last call even though our color was called earlier. Probably shouldn't say this, no one checks your credentials. If you're not in CC and you want to hang in the cinema, go for it.

We haven't been on a cruise in a few years so the 2/21 Summit was a nice change for us. Maybe I'm just too easy to please. With the only serious complaint being about the quality and safety of the shore excursions, I found everything else to be really great. Our cabin and MDR folks were really great, the Waterfall waiters were very helpful and seeing how Celebrity really stepped up on the Dominica tragedy made me even feel good about their corporate people.

I ran a service company for most of my life and I know pleasing people consistently is a big, big job. Overall, I think the Summit did great. I am always in awe at how they can serve a couple thousand people three squares a day as well as they do. There were some misses. In fact, there was a big miss in the Normandie where the lobster was very, very salty. The head waiter acknowledged they'd had some issues with that and he and the others fell all over each other trying to make us happy. Ironically, the two best items I had were in the MDR: the escargot and the Argentine steak. I know I wasn't the only one who loved the burgers and fries by the pool. All outstanding. I did find the desserts adequate but not inspiring. The prune sorbet was an interesting find and led to a few jokes at our table...tasty though.

Being on the Summit last week reminded what a travel bargain cruising continues to be. For about $150 a day per person, we were in a very nice Concierge cabin, had great meals and as much as we wanted, were well entertained, were transported to five beautiful islands and were waited on hand and foot. We can't wait for the next time.

Hi and Greetings - thanks for your informative update re the Summit - Both my DH and I will be going Transatlantic on their April 18th ex San Juan and wondered if you could answer some questions we still have. Did you by any chance have a concierge cabin or poss had contact with someone on board who did and was their experience positive. Which deck in your opinion is the best to have a cabin and also which places would you recommend for dining and is it possible to either have or take your breakfast out onto the bar at the back end of the ship in the morning.Greetings and thanks

Hi and greetings Warmwinds - thanks for your informative report reyou Summit Cruise. My DH and I will be going Transatlantic Summit 18th April ex San Juan and wondered if you could give us this info. Did you poss have a CC cabin or anyone on the ship you had contact with and if so were they worth the extra? Which deck and location would you recommend for a cabin and also were the public areas ie decks,pools,bars ect also showing their age or in general good shape. Is it poss to have breakfast or take breakfast out onto the bar at the back of the ship in the morning. Greetings and tks Linda

Just going to do a brief thing here on our cruise - specifically addressing the 3 areas that had me concerned prior to sailing based on what I read here: the food, the condition of the ship, and the "rudeness" of the clientele on a cruise starting in Puerto Rico.

First, a little background - 11-12 cruises overall, last 5 all on Celebrity, last 4 in an M-class aft. Last cruise was about 2 years ago, prior to the "changes".

We thought the clientele on the ship was delightful - a very nice bunch of people. No one loud, smoking inappropriately, pushy with lines, etc., or obnoxious in any way. We were on first seating so as you know you often only cross paths with half the people most of the time. The ship seemed quite empty, even though it supposedly was fully booked.

The food: I'd been reading about the horrors for months, and warned my husband - it's not the Celebrity we once knew. We truly were expecting the worst. We were SO pleasantly surprised. We honestly, truly, liked most of what we had. Was everything a home run? No, of course not, but it wasn't "before", either. We could see the downgrading of many things - for example, the beef cuts weren't the top ones - they were sometimes a kabob, or a sirloin, or a cut up this or a lesser cut that - BUT they were described that way on the menu. We thought the choices were excellent - tasty and well prepared. We had a running joke on the cruise, based on what I read here, that the "EVERYONE says the food is DOG FOOD"...so whenever we had something great, my husband would say "what did the dog food people say about this?" I'd say "dog food", and we would laugh. I can't remember EVERYTHING on the menu, but I DID write down exactly what we had every night, and would be happy to share it with anyone who cares to hear it.

I will say that we like our meat medium rare, and the first time or two it came medium-well, so we quickly switched to ordering it "very rare" and it was then perfect for us.

This was a very port-intensive cruise, so the MDR was never open for lunch, except on the last sea day, where they had the wonderful brunch.

We had everything we always did - pastries from the Cova every afternoon, pizza at night, a really nice lunch buffet every day (creative, different, old standards plus some really good new dishes every day) - it's all still there.

I'm not a big breakfast person but all the usual suspects were there.

The Condition of the Summit: Here, I hate to say it, but I do somewhat agree with many of the naysayers - it's in need of a refurb. We saw lots of rust, peeling paint, torn and worn carpet...did it spoil our cruise? Of course not! But I've seen the M-class in all its newer glory and you can see the changes. Our cabin had missing and damaged baseboards, slightly grotty tile in the shower, a stain on the bedspread...but guess what - I'm chomping at the bit to book the VERY SAME cabin for our next cruise! It's not a horrible mess, but I can see where someone used to newer ships would see the flaws. I'm just being honest here.

This was also the cruise with the very sad situation of the injured people, and they were very good about providing updates about that. NO ONE wants to see anything like that happen, but I have to agree, after seeing the vehicle they traveled in, that there is NO WAY I would have felt comfortable. Every shore excursion we took (all ship sponsored) were in very new, clean, "safe" vans and busses with working seatbelts (which after the accident you saw MANY more people buckling up than before). We've ridden in those open-air vehicles before, and I now shudder at the thought. Never again.

Anyway, if there are any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them.

We ALWAYS get CC cabins because we always get afts. So my opinion is skewed. I'd take my aft if it wasn't CC, or if it was called Barf Class.

But that being said, we do enjoy the perks. I'm not a complainer when someone is handing me "free" food and drink (and it is "free" to me because I'm not paying extra for IT, but rather for the cabin) - but we drank our champagne, enjoyed our canapes every night, ordered room service breakfast, peered out with our (weak) binoculars, etc...

And as I said before, the carpet is not perfect in many places, there is need of paint in places, but it is still a beautiful ship and these flaws did not change our experience at all.

People choose cabin locations for all different reasons - what works for me might not work for you. We like quiet and away from the noisy areas.

We were in CC and went to the cinema. We waited for the last call even though our color was called earlier. Probably shouldn't say this, no one checks your credentials. If you're not in CC and you want to hang in the cinema, go for it.

Not always true. In most cases, when we have entered they have asked our names and then checked them off a list. You must have just gotten lucky. (and no, you shouldn't say it - it is not right to grab perks that others have earned and you have not)

for your excellent review. We're on the Summit March 21 and March 28. It's been two years since our last cruise and that was the first time we were so disappointed in the food (I only eat beef) that we ate in the alternative dining venue. Not only did we "survive" the experience, we actually enjoyed it.

I too was with lobster, warmwinds and the rest - sorry that the mrs and I didn't get into the meet and greet part of things. Always a little intimidated when meeting folks irl. It's a bit easier to hide behind anonymous user board names.

I will agree with much of what was said. Summit could use some paint and a good scrub in a few places (windows!). Saw a torn window shade in the glass atrium as we embarked and it worried me a bit about the ship. Everything was similar to how we remembered the Millennium of 2003.

A note about MDR - the head cooking staff is Indian/South American, IIRC. They skew more to the done side of meat. As previously noted, if you like your steak warm pink, you're better off going with a Medium Rare or even Rare. My fillet was over cooked but quickly swept away and replaced. Waiter, Asst. Waiter, and Sommelier were aces. Very attentive and hustling. Waiter had a VERY dry sense of humor but after a day or two there was a great banter back and forth. Sommelier saw us at other times during the trip and would make a point to speak or saw hello. One negative was the problems the Matre'D and assistants had with tables. Heard and saw several instances of folks having to sit by themselves at 6-10 top tables without any attempt by staff to fix problem. When brought to their attention, staff moved fast to get the groups together. Part of the fun of a cruise, I think, is meeting new folks and talking about your day with them. We had a great table. Would like to see an option for folks to explain that they aren't going to be dining in the MDR most nights, thus freeing up a table.

Did see the dress code at the MDR enforced (sleeveless T-shirt on a guy turned away). However a young lady with very short shorts was seated. Dark suits are still considered appropriate for formal night with some men in tux. Was expecting more "tropical" suits based on location and surprised.

Photography staff sucked out loud. No other way to say it. Sorry, but I'm not buying that 2 cute Asian girls in costumes are anything but insulting to the culture of the Caribbean. And the photos taken on the ship, casual and posed, were bad as well. Not focused or composed well on a semi-professional level. For instance, the embarkation photo was up against a metal roll-up door. I wonder if the guy in the Patriots T-shirt with the obvious sweat stains under his pits and on his chest bought that photo.

Had a great time at all the ports of call but one. The staff really soft-sold Tobago. Almost wanted us to stay on board as there was nothing to do and many suggestions were qualified with "Well, we are going to be in Barbados tomorrow....." Would have liked to had a reason to get off the boat but like most, we stayed on board and enjoyed the day.

Entertainment was what you would expect. Good. Saw most of the shows (made the mrs happy) and appreciated the talents on board.

There is room for improvement, but I would give this cruise a B+/A- and tell friends to strongly consider if they are looking for this type of experience.

Thanks for all the reviews, I am leaving in just a few hours for the 7/3 departure. FLying 2 days early because being from snowy Canada, you never know what might it you! Plus, I just love San Juan :-) After reading your reviews, I just can't wait to be on board. We cruised Carnival last year but wanted something different this year. I'm sure we won't be disappointed!

We too were on the 2/21 Summit sailing. What a terrific roll call we had. So much fun sharing your day with those you've met here before sailing. We also shared several tours with our fellow cruisecritic members.

We enjoyed everything about the Summit. I know I must wear blinders but I never notice any torn carpets or rust. Windows were a bit dirty but we did note someone was cleaning windows somewhere on the ship daily so a dedicated effort was being made. Our CC cabin windows were cleaned about 4 days into our cruise.

We had late seating Table #502. What a wonderful table. We were right against the aft windows. Keith and Carlos were our wait staff and were PERFECT! We've never had such an attentive wait staff. While the DH continued to tease our waiter Keith each night trying to order the Apple Pie (DH doesn't appreciate the FuFu desserts) By night three, Keith surprised DH with apple pie.... and ice cream....DH was in heaven!

As for food in the MDR, our feeling is Celebrity is still a step up from other cruiselines. Most of the food was very good and nicely presented. Both DH and I had steaks several meals and the meat was always tender and cooked just perfect.... again, this may have been our waiter and the care we received. The last night I ordered the shrimp/pasta dish and the waiter said he would order 2 entrees for me so I would have lots of shrimp. Now that's a great waiter. All in All I'd say we didn't have a bad meal. DH loved several of the soups.

As for perks in CC cabin. We enjoyed the special breakfast menu and having our meal on the balcony. The fruit parfait was lovely. We alternated breakfast between our balcony and the Waterfall Buffet as DH enjoys the fresh Omelet station. I'm not sure on this cruise we really benefited so much with a CC cabin... although the pillow menu was a plus.

We did find the shows much better on the Summit than on other cruises we've sailed. The only disappointment was the juggler/comedian. He just wasn't having a good night. We did enjoy him though on the final show.

All ports were easy on and easy off. We NEVER had to wait in line. Disembarkation also was very easy. Waterfall Cafe was open from 6 am until 8:30. Our group met at 8:00 and with the exception of no coffee cups, had a very satisfying breakfast, then headed to the Cinema for disembarkation.

Our only disappointment was at the airport. If you are flying Air Tran and you have the 3 PM flight... you need to be aware there is NO check in until about 10:30 to 11:00 AM. Be sure to have your luggage scanned by the FDA before getting in line at your airline counter

But most of all.... enjoy... YOU are on a cruise.. Not at work.. have a wonderful time!

Debordo

Be sure to have your luggage scanned by the FDA before getting in line at your airline counter.

Actually if you do not take off any tags from your luggage after leaving the ship at the end of your cruise, you do not have to scan your luggage by FDA before getting in line at airline counter, I went on lots of cruises from San Juan but I was flying always Jet Blue, maybe for other airlines its different rules.

Archived